Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ludo Lense Thread

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
So I have been lurking on RPG Codex for much longer than I'd care to admit and I recently started doing some critiques on youtube. I usually posted on the steam forums and the like....the "problem" being that I mostly got positive feedback. And I am suspicious of mostly positive feedback (healthy paranoia at work).

So I decided to throw myself to the wolves and get some feedback from a much tougher audience. I originally was gonna post my first video here which is of Risen 3 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXAzQlNZomU ) but since I hate on it I thought that I would be preaching to the choir and I don't like echo chambers.

But now I did a critique regarding Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls in general ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3WTXZLj2mk ). I have some complex emotions regarding it (don't worry, Morrowind gets plenty of love) but since saying on RPG CODEX that Skyrim wasn't designed by the Anti-Christ is heresy, I figured the responses could be much more ambivalent.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
That Risen video really cracked me up. In the Skyrim video you were way too lenient with the newer games and the biggest Codex sins you committed was to praise Oblivion and critique old school D&D CRPGs for being hard to get into but overall I liked it. You should make more of these.
:greatjob:

A horse of course

Nice avatar. Much better than DraQ's.

edit: an army of ed123s :what:

you talk too fast; slow it down a little

also can i suggest you either edit your narration to include something about the game you are reviewing in the first few minutes? Im already 3 minutes into the risen 3 review and ive heard nothing about the game yet, just talk of other games; albeit in the same 'series' but still... introductions should be short, to the point then move on to the body of the review.

your voice is a bit echo-ey and hard to understand sometimes; maybe sort out your audio? I am not an expert so can offer no fixes but the problem is there nonetheless.

you seem to know a lot about better games than the ones you are reviewing; have you thought about reviewing them instead of the modern shite?

length is an issue too; theres no way in the world im going to sit through a 16 minutes review no matter what it is

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Good stuff. I'll be sure to follow you on YT. However I agree with Poots. Break it down a bit and shorten your intro. Other than that it's cool. And I love long, ranting reviews. Spoony is (or was rather) a master of these. Still like to go back to them from time to time, to remind myself of simpler days.
:greatjob:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
On Oblivion: "It gave up on a lot of things that made Morrowind unique by returning to Daggerfall's palyer-centric focus"
:nocountryforshitposters:

But anyway, is there a single forsaken soul today who gives a fuck about VANILLA Oblivion, Morrowind or even Skyrim?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
On Oblivion: "It gave up on a lot of things that made Morrowind unique by returning to Daggerfall's palyer-centric focus"

But anyway, is there a single forsaken soul today who gives a fuck about VANILLA Oblivion, Morrowind or even Skyrim?

The world building isn't all that great in Daggerfall, the novel freedom was the interesting part. I found it funny how people were complaining at the time that the monsters in Oblivion were super generic when they were just reintroduced from Daggerfall (like imps and goblins).

Well given the fact that all 3 of those games sold better on consoles, probably yes. And from other forums I learned that there are quite a bit of people that still prefer Skyrim with only graphical mods added.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter

The world building isn't all that great in Daggerfall, the novel freedom was the interesting part. I found it funny how people were complaining at the time that the monsters in Oblivion were super generic when they were just reintroduced from Daggerfall (like imps and goblins).

Well given the fact that all 3 of those games sold better on consoles, probably yes. And from other forums I learned that there are quite a bit of people that still prefer Skyrim with only graphical mods added.

I play vanilla Skyrim, but only because I'm lazy and couldn't get myself to check on all the mods out there. Game's quite fun, altough I'm beginning to see the main problem with it.

Lhynn

Arcane
But anyway, is there a single forsaken soul today who gives a fuck about VANILLA Morrowind?
what? vanilla morrowind is about as good as it gets, the beauty of it is that you dont need mods to get some fun out of it.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
But anyway, is there a single forsaken soul today who gives a fuck about VANILLA Morrowind?
what? vanilla morrowind is about as good as it gets, the beauty of it is that you dont need mods to get some fun out of it.
morrowind-screenshot-2.jpg

Crevice tab

Savant

Oblivion is the worst game in the series when it comes to freedom. The whole quest design is on rails with questmarkers and blatant 'dungeon just isn't there' stuff and without any of Daggerfall's or Morrowind's choices and consequences. There's five factions who don't interact with each other at all, there are no multiple paths to take in a faction, the main quest is as linear as it gets with the exception of some boring and entirely skippable copy pasted dungeons. The skill/attributes were once again simplified, the dialogue became poorly voice acted one liners etc. On the other hand Daggerfall improved pretty much everything from Arena.

Oblivion has none of Daggerfall's boundless vastness nor any of the freedom it offers. It takes some of Daggerfall's flaws and amplifies them (the skimpy Daggerfall lore? Oblivion can make it twice as generic, thrice as dumb and have 10 times less content) but that's not enough to make any sort of meaningful comparison. Daggerfall is so vast you can find trace elements of anything in it.

So: :nocountryforshitposters:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like it, I will sub :)

Now I gotto install Gothic 2 again, thanks..

Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
Regarding the video:

You speak too fast. Like a waterfall. A neverending waterfall. Non-existing pauses make it difficult to follow and concentrate on the aspects you criticize. Kinda fatiguing.

I'd suggest a more slow paced speed, pick out specific examples, and take your time to explain what you like and don't like. And make pauses when you jump on different aspects.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Jeezus fkn Yog Sottot. I got a feeling I'm in a club of cinema crititcs.

Both Morrowind and Oblivion were unplayable in vanilla, whether you like it ot not. Morr was ridiculously easy, while Oblivion was just broken in every gameplay aspect.

But yeah, I got it. Turns out, everybody played TES game just 4 teh sceneries.

Crevice tab

Savant
Jeezus fkn Yog Sottot. I got a feeling I'm in a club of cinema crititcs.

Both Morrowind and Oblivion were unplayable in vanilla, whether you like it ot not. Morr was ridiculously easy, while Oblivion was just broken in every gameplay aspect.

But yeah, I got it. Turns out, everybody played TES game just 4 teh sceneries.

I don't get why being very easy makes it unplayable. Not as good as it could be: yes. Unplayable: no. Morrowind does everything except combat fine and the expansions actually provide challenges to combat unless you try to break the game by exploiting the AI or loopholes- in which case stop trying to break the game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
unless you try to break the game by exploiting the AI or loopholes- in which case stop trying to break the game.

You are good with words, eh? Lemme fill ya how the REST OF WORLD calls this shit: home rules. Meaning: if you want TES games to be fun, play with home rules. AND with mods.

Edit: before cinema critics start attackin' me, I mean BALANCE mods, not GRAPHIC mods, for fucks sake.

Crevice tab

Savant
You are good with words, eh? Lemme fill ya how the REST OF WORLD calls this shit: home rules. Meaning: if you want TES games to be fun, play with home rules. AND with mods.

Edit: before cinema critics start attackin' me, I mean BALANCE mods, not GRAPHIC mods, for fucks sake.

Balance mods improve MW- agreed. But Morrowind is still fundamentally fun/good/high quality. You can throw as many balance mods as you like at Oblivion and it would still be crap.

I've never seen any complex RPG that you can't break if you're smart about it- RPG's aren't designed as jails to keep power players straight and narrow. They're designed to make money be fun/pleasant/whatever.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You can throw as many balance mods as you like at Oblivion and it would still be crap.

At least we can agree on one thing.

I've never seen any complex RPG that you can't break if you're smart about it- RPG's aren't designed as jails to keep power players straight and narrow. They're designed to make money be fun/pleasant/whatever.

Home rules, man. Everybody says "home rules". And it's not bad to make and follow them when the game is worth it.

garren

Arcane
Patron
first youtube comment in Elder Scrolls video said:
However I disagree with you on Oblivion being aimed at Console Players ( 11:12 ) as the UI clearly shows it isn't.
wtf :lol:

I might watch a couple videos properly later, only skimmed a few so far

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom