Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA]The Hyborian Age

GreyViper

Prophet
Really good story so far.:incline:

As for Choice A

Kz3r0

Arcane
Sorry for the delay, the new update is ready and will be posted tomorrow, for now I would like to make some comment.
With this LP I have realized that player agency trumps anything else even in an heavily narrative driven LP as this one, the question that arise from time to time about D&D setting is how someone can be an atheist when gods are real and perform miracles, here players chose to defy Crom, defy Seth and defy Ymir, not because of some moral or philosophical stance but simply through their choices, this alone makes me very satisfied and even proud, this is almost on par with Greek tragedy, the hero defied the gods for no other reason that being a man living his life, simple and profound at the same time.
After a bit of writer's narcyssism let's talk about the mechanism behind the no game over rule, having Kairn beating gods with his sheer barbarian force of will would be ridiculous even if epic, so how Kairn escaped Ymir's wrath and can keep at bay the Serpent?
I have borrowed from Howard's works, expecially The Passing of the Grey God the concept of gods waning power and disappeareance from this world, hence to have Kairn survive these encounters the balance of the ingame universe shifted, gods now are pale shadows of their former glory and the end of this age and their power is relatively near, this also means that magic is relatively weacker, while many of you would like this the flip side is that confronting magical menaces will be done with little help from artifacts and such, and getting rid of the Serpent will be much more difficult, this doesn't mean either that magic and gods have become a joke, in fact powerful magic is now much more troublesome even if rarer.
Besides, I have thought of some neat way, based on Howard's lore for making Kairn 'resurrect', so to speack.
Obviously there will be consequences that will catch to you sooner or later, so dying is not just a mere incovenience.
If anyone has any question or want to comment it will be very appreciated, as I have already wrote I will upload the new update tomorrow.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Lukewarm

After long ponderation the nine years old Kairn answered, "I want to be like a falling star, that burns brightly, incuting fear in the enemies and crushing them with the thunderous power of the heavens."
Dhurgal seemed surprised by the answer, "Do you mean that you will break free from any bond that will be bestowed upon you then?"
The kid moved nervously his feet, struggling to explain his intentions, "It's just the image that I see before me when I think of becoming a warrior, I didn't mean to be disrepectful father."
Dhurgal remained silent for such a long time that Kairn feared to have provoked his father's ire, he stood like a giant satue carved in stone, his facial features hidden in darkness,then, finally, he spoke, "We shall let the runes to decide, this will be very dangerous, are you ready to face the consequences?"
Kairn nodded with all his strenght.
Dhurgal tok a vase from under the spent ashes of the forge and made sign to Kairn to come near, "Now we are going to perform a ritual that will bind you to the power of the runes for all your life, if you really wish to not be bound by them but to still be able to know them trust your fate to draw the appropriate stone."
In saying this Dhurgal put the vase at the center of the forge, then, silently he poured inside an handful of ashes, after that he grabbed Kairn's hand and put it over the vase making a deep icision in the palm with a bone knife he took from his belt.
The kid didn't flinched when the blade cut his flesh, "Now", said his father, "repeat with me."
TIWAZ
URUZ
GEBOR
PERTHRO
TIWAZ
After reciting this incantation Dhurgal said to Kairn, "Rub your hands in the ashes until the blood flows no more."
The kid did as he was told then waited for his father next order.
Dhurgal took the vase from the forge and firmly holding it in front of Kairn said, "Draw a stone."
Without esitation the kid dug his hand in the vase and quickly retracted it grasping a polished green stone with a red symbol on it.
"Show it to me", intimated his father, and so the kid did opening his palm.

The expression on Durghal's face didn't change but long lines furrowed his brow while he was observing the stone.
"This is the rune of chance and luck, seems that your wish has been granted, all bonds will be tenuous as air to you", there was a hint of sadness in Kairn's father voice saying this,"but you will be subjected to the ebb and flow of fate, never knowing if your choices are really your own or were decided by the neverending motion of life tumultuous waves and the powers that control them."
The kid looked at his father clearly non understanding what he was saying, Dhurgal put his hand on the head of the boy in a rare display of affection,"Don't worry my son, no man is really the master of his destiny, but as long that he has strength and courage even the gods will aknowledge him."
Kairn smiled at these words conforted from the warmth of that big calluous hand.
The Kairn that was now a pariah and abandoned all behind himself moved uncomfortably inside his bear fur, sleeping the uneasy sleep of the hour that precedes dawn and continued to dream.
"My son, now that the rites are completed and you have been iniatiated to the porwer of the runes I will reveal to you the rune that has power over us as blacksmiths and the connection that runes have with our craft."
The kid solemny nodded with a serious expression ready to receive that secret knowledge.
His father continued,"here it's the rune that represent the ancient hero Thyer, who stole the power of lighting and thunder from Ymir's forge and donated it to Ku'l-Kulh-hain, father of all Cimmerians, this is why there is enmity between us and the Vanir.", in saying so he showed a red rock with a black T shaped mark that resembled a forging hammer.
"Kairn, you should know that Shamans call the runes the language of the trees, and metal is hidden and nourished by the earth as the roots of trees are, and as them it grows and branches when cooling after melting, and as them it creates seeds that will give origin to other metal.", in saying so Dhurgal kneelend on the ground near the trace left by the molten flow of the impurities poured out from the forge through an apposite opening at the base of the forge, Kairn observed his father as that callous hand raised from the ground holding a fistful of dirt, "lool Kairn, look" esortated by his father Kairn got closer, then he could notice little irregular shining spheres in the dirt, smiling he looked up to his father that was smiling back, a very rare sight, "These are the seeds of steel", said Dhurgal in a soft voice, "when put in the molten slag they will accrue and grow."

Kairn now was awake, his gaze fixed intently the rune in the entrance of the cave while memories of his childhood slowly faded away, that was a rune of ward, strangely modified tho, probably what Valdyr did the night before was some sort of shamanic ritual, Kairn wondered when and where he learned it.
Suddenly he turned his head just in time to get a glimpse of Valdyr diverting his eyes and exiting the cavern, it was well after dawn and Kairn raised from his resting place and followed the others out, greeted by the pale Northern sun.

Shamir was seated by the bed of his master, three days had passed from that fateful night and the mage was still unconscious, the apprentice was frightened remembering what he saw and heard, or what he thought to have seen and heard at least, in that crimson haze inside the circle, how he helped Mordek to get up and reach his bed, the terrible stare in his eyes, and the expression disfiguring his face.
Worse, he was in fear of the king, twice already he sent away with an excuse the guards that had come to their quarters asking for a response, and now he was lost unsure on what to do next, then a coarse voice called his name startling him, the mage was finally awaken.
Mordek slowly passed his hand on his face, as still unsure if he was sleeping or not, slowly he turned his eyes towards the apprentice, his facial features resemled the ones of a toad, swollen, with deep dark circles under the eyes, "I am back," he said in a whisper, "Yes, I am back" said now with more convinction "back from where no one has come back before", now he was looking straight in the eyes of shamir that looked horrified at the sight, "I have come back from .. the Abyss...yes, yes, I did.", there was triumph now in his voice.
"Bring me that bottle of black wine from Ophir.", the apprentice immediantely raised up, "Yes master.", and in saying so he left the room.
Mordek shivered in his bed as memories flickered behind his closed eyes, the inesorable figure chasing him up the slope, the lights of the nine sisters going off one by one, and then the brink of the precipice and the fall, no he didnt want toremember the fall, what he had passed through and the bottomless pit that swallowed him.
But now he was in his bed, unreal as it felt to him, shamir returned with the bottle and he eagerly grabbeb it taking a big gulp from it, a wicked smile of satisfaction appeared afterwards on his face, yes, the wine was helping, but he needed something more, his eyes onbserved intently the apprentice, "What do you think?". Shamir seemed uncertain, "About what master?", Mordek grinned, "About what you saw and heard, very few had the privilege to give succh a deep look into the Abyss, as a pursuer of magic you should be thankful for such a rare opportunity."the kid didn't seem very thrilled to be honest, "Go, leave me alone now." said the mage dismissing the apprentice without awaiting for an answer.
When alone Mordek took another long sip from the bottle, pondering that was about time to complete shamir 'apprenticeship'.

It was dusk when Kairn and his companions finally reached their destination, for all day the excitement and anticipation had grown with eaxh step and now they couldn't restrain themselves anymore, crass jokes and insults flied as well as burst of laughter, an now they practically howled in seeing the frame of the tavern in front of them, "Come out Antoninus, filthy Aquilonian renegade, your best customers are here." they shout.
"Finally I will see my Gertrude", said Unnarr, at this word the door of the tavern opened and the fattest woman Kairn has ever seen appeared, Cimmerian women usually were lean and strong as their men of which shared the hardships, "Look what we have here, a band of lonely pups begging for food and affection.", in saying this the woman advanced towards them waying her hips, an astounding feat considering her mass, she was clearly an Aesir with two long blonde braids, Unnarr exploded in a loud laughter, "Yes sweetcheecks, I am in desperate need of your affection.", in saying so he encircled her with his arms firmly grabbing her buttocks and squeezing them, she acted all offended, feigning a modesty that she clearly didn't have, "Behave like a gentleman, you rude bear.", Unnarr let her go, "Sorry honey, is just the happiness to see you again.","Sure, sure, 'happiness' he calls it, by the way don't stay here in the cold, the other girls and I will prepare a warm bath for you all, follow me.", in saying so she headed back to the tavern with Unnarr closely after her, the others followed.

Kairn joined the others inside the big wooden tub that occupied a large room on the right side of the tavern, in doing so he had to overcome his reluctance to let go of his weapons, besides he wasn't used to warmth baths, he still preferred the cold clear streams coming down from the mountains, while the others were enjoying themselves throwing water at each other and mocking each other's manhood Kairn's diffident nature made him took place in a corner where he could have in sight the whole room and his companions as well, so he noticed that while all of them sported the scars of many battles two of them were an exception even if for different resons, Valdyr's body showed the most terrible scars, clearly procured by torture and others that only a slave could have, Kairn quickly turned off his gaze, afraid of offending him, the other was Ulfir, his body didn't show any visible sign of wounds of any kind, quite strange considering that he was obviously a seasoned warrior, Kairn wondered briefly how that was possible before returning to meticulously cleaning himself with one of the rags that the girls brought into the room.

After the bath they all wore wool tunics and clean underwear offered by the owner of the tavern while their clothes were washed and the furs cleaned with soap and ashes in the lavatory, Kairn, as the others, secured the belt with his weapons at his waist and took place at a long table in the front room of the tavern where a big fire was lit, over it a pork was roasting.

The dinner was rowdy but with little talk with them all too busy eating a real meal after so long and drinking beer, now, near the end they all began to eye the girls which services obviously didn't end with meals and baths, Unnarr winked to Kairn that was seated in front of him, "You can't say you have been with a woman until you sleep with a fat woman, there there is enough for the two of us",he said nodding towards Gertrude,"what do you say?".
"You don't know what a real woman is." said Ulfir chewing the last bite of his meal, "Like you have any idea considering that you only love blood.", mused Ramiras, "With 'your' tastes you'll better shut up." retorted the Vanir.

"Enough", said with a cool voice Valdyr, "remember that we are among friends here there is no reason to fight.", he didn't look directly at them but his commanding tone clearly sorted its effect.

The others meanwhile were busy discussing about which girl they would chose, Kairn had already noticed that other than Gertrude where was three younger girls , Aesir and Vanir, and two older women, one from the Borderlands and a Brythunian, he also noticed that the wife of the owner had set his gaze upon him, she was a mature beauty with a streack of gray in her hair, noticing that Ramiras leaned towards him whispering, "Seems that you catched her interest, she likes to 'service' the customers from time to time if they strike her fancy" Kairn turned towards the Zingarian, not very pleased at that show of comeraderie, Ramiras continued,"you are lucky, this time is your turn, Antoninus doesn't mind, so don't hesitate."

A boy and a girl came out of the kitchen and began to clean the table,the girl was probably seventeen years old with two long braids of black hair, Valdyr looking at her stiffened, the girl noticing his look stopped what she was doing and asked in auncertain Aesir, "Do you want to sleep with me tonight sir?", her attitude was meek almost as of resignation, was then that Kairn noticed the marks of shackles on her wrists and neck, a slave, Antoninus came quicly at their table, he was heavily sweating, "Don't be silly Nora I have told you to stay in the kitchen and not disturb our customers.", he grabbeb he by the elbow and directed her towards the back of the tavern, "Sorry guys she is new and has not learnt well what her duties are so...", "Antoninus.", Valdyr voice was cold and sharp as a blade, his eyes spoke of a terrible rage.
The owner turned towards him visibly pale, drops of cold sweat rolling down his cheecks,"Vaaldyr, don't misunderstand...", at this words the warrior raised up in all his height, "You know how it is, I needed help and...", Valdyr was walking towards him and the girl, every step tense and heavy,"Look, it was for her own good, if I hadn't bought her w-w-would hav-v-ve been worse and...", Antoninus stuttered and then stopped talking, now Valdyr was in front of him, for long instants he looked him in the eyes then turned towards the girl, their gaze met and many unspoken words were said between them in those few seconds, at this point Valdyr's back impercettibly relaxed, "The girl comes with me.", he said heading towards the bedrooms upstairs, she immediately followed him, Antoninus couldn't hold back a sonorous sigh of relief when they disappeared from sight.

"I will go to bed too", said Ulfir rising up, "alone.", and then left.

The boy ended cleaning the table and seated near Kairn, "You look younger than me", the Cimmerian looked at him coldly, he was rarely in the mood for chit-chat, and he disliked the boy, he looked 'soft', something that Kairn despised, then he relized something else, the boy had a smell similar to the girls in the tavern, perfume he realized, "Would you like to sleep with me tonight?", asked the boy giving a furtive glance to Ramiras, visibly afraid of him, this completely surprised Kairn that didn't know what to answer, "Hey, Kairn", Unnarr attracted his attention, "the others had already chose", he said indicating the lively group going upstairs, "so, ready for Gertrude?", here the Aesir winked again.

___________________________________________________________________________________

A)Go to bed alone.

B)Bring the boy with you, he will sleep in a corner, this will piss off Ramiras but who cares.

C)Bring the boy with you, he will 'sleep' in your bed, in this case Ramiras can even forgive you.

D)Go with Unnarr and Gertrude, an unforgettable experience awaits you.

E)Antoninus'wife is very attractive and very experienced.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Why does Ramiras forgive us for choice C? I'm guessing he wants the boy here.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why does Ramiras forgive us for choice C? I'm guessing he wants the boy here.
Because if you get the boy for your pleasure he would be more understanding than just taking him away from him, besides was just a smatass remark, Kairn at the moment doesn't feel very friendly to anyone, actually he doesn't feel friendly in general, his attitute could change based on the choices made,

laclongquan

Arcane
About atheist in a world of real gods.

It's a matter of personal will, same as our world. You choose to believe that no god can have real effect on your action and life. Real belief, mind, not indifference. You set up a system of beliefs that support your atheisms. For example. the gods lie. They dont have that much influence as they say they have. They just use their overwhelming power to make use, exploit, and lie to us.... things like that.

Kz3r0

Arcane
:necro:

I know, I know, the update will be ready but there are only two votes:
B
E
Should I await for more votes, flip a coin or choose myself?:M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never knew this was ongoing.

I will try to catch up and make an informed vote by tomorrow.

Kz3r0

Arcane
White Night

Kairn raised up from the table directed at the stairs ignoring the awkward stares of the others, halfway he turned around looking at the boy for few seconds, "Come with me.", the boy happily hurried after Kairn, both Antoninus' wife and Ramiras gave the cimmerian a very dissappointed look, even if for different reasons, the boy took a lamp from one of the girls and lead him to a room at the end of the second floor corridor, after entering Kairn secured the lock and walked towards the bed.
"I am Jeanyl, what's your name?", asked the boy clearly excited at the opportunity to speak with someone of similar age.
The cimmerian gave him a weird look, "Kairn.", in saying so he took one of the furskins from the bed and throw it in front of the door, "You will sleep there."
The boy visibly surprised asked, "Don't you like me?", he seemed hurt in saying so, "I don't like Ramiras.", was the answer.
Intimidated by Kairn' stare sheepishly the boy curled up on the floor covering himself with the furskon laying there, the Cimmerian snuffed the oil lamp and layed himself under the furs covering the bed, the sword at his side and fell asleep immediately as he was used to in the long nights hunting alone in the wilderness.

Mordek was seated at his desk in the biblioteque, an ancient grimoire open in front of him, he managed to postpone his encounter with the king for another week and he wanted to complete some research before that, Shamir was standing in a corner.
"As I told you is time to complete your education.", said the mage to his apprentice,"Expecially after what happened."
The boy nodded hesitantly,"Let'see if you are prepared.", continued the mage, Shamir didn't know what that charade was about but readied himself in fear of the ventual punishment if his answers displeased his master.
"What's magick?", the question was uttered in a perentory tone.
"True knowledge not hindered by hipocrisy or delusions." was the confident answer.
"How it works?"
"True the intimate understanding of what constitues nature."
"How operates?"
"Through the dynamic relationship between the four elements, Air, Fire, Earth and Water."
"How is that achieved?"
"Through the quintessence that binds,regulates and transforms the elements."
"What's the quintessence?"
"Life."
"Who we are?"
"The ones who walk on the path of the sage, through our own devices we harness the power of gods and demons and pay homage to none, we bend nature to our desires but are not bent ourselves."
Mordeck layed his back against the seat with a wicked smile, "Yes, that's who we are and what we do.", there was satisfaction in his voice, he continued and the spite could be clearly heard,"Not like foolish Mythra's priests that bow to their 'compassionate' god while practicisng the same magick as us, only they use their own life and blood to fuel it, we know better."
Shamir was relieved, it had been easier than he thought, then the mage spoke again and the apprentice stiffened.
"Tell me, what can change the nature of life?"
The boy had to control himself to avoid his jaw from dropping and look like a fool, "Nothing can change the nature of life, even death will only release the quintessence that will return to its primordial state ready to transform in something else.", that was the hasten answer followed by immediate regret and fear.
Mordek laughed, "Yes, you are right, not even the gods can do that.", now he frowned inspiring sheer terror in his apprentice, "But yet I have managed to unravel one of the most intimate secret of the universe, and now I can change its nature at will."
In saying so he took out a little silver dagger,with a swift movement he cut his own hand and let the blood drop in the wine cup in front of him.
The apprentice was astonished, his master always preached to never use your own blood because it makes you vulnerable and ties you to your own deeds, something that should be avoided, always, but his stupor only increased when he saw the purple fumes raasing from the cup.
"Drink it.", said the mage with an imposing tone while handing him the cup, Shamir didn't dare to disobey, a simple look at Mordek's eyes was enough to sap out of him any will of resistance.
It was the most vile thing he ever tasted in his life, unsteady on his legs the apprentice was lost in a purple haze, the contours of the room around him seemed to endlessy change, overwhelmed by nausea the boy concentrated his gaze on the cup in his hand, it whispered to him so sweetly such monstrous secrets that he forgot them as he heard them, then he started to caress the cup with the longing touch of a lover, prying it delicately but decisevely until his fingers deeply penetrated 'her', the cup screamed as he started to violate her, undoing her and remaking her, tearin and ripping her apart with infinite love, remaking her anew, frreing her true essence.
Reality regained its sharp crudeness as Shamir felt a terrible hung over as after drinking for days, a fragant red rose was now in his hand, still wet with morning dew, bewildered he left Mordek take it out of his hand and stared as the rose transformed in a charcoal black cube that the mage put on the desk in front of him.
"This is what passing through the abyss granted me.", coldly said the mage, "This is the final step in your apprenticeship, if you so desire, by tansfering my essence into you in the proper way will make what you experienced for few instants permanent, the requirement tho is performing the ritual of Abraxyel."
Shamir was still confused by the experience and this last words made things worse, it wasn't the first time that he had submitted to his master vile desires but that was too much even for him, yet, yet, what he always desired was grant to him for few precious instants and cruelly took away, maybe this was why he mustered the courage to utter such unthinkable words, "I have to think about it."
To his incredible surprise Mordek nodded, "Take your time, the ritual has to be performed in three days if you so chose, no matter what, beyond that term I will relieve you from the duties of apprenticenship, it's up to you if we will part as equals or not."
Shamir still in a daze nodded and left heading for his room.

Kairn was fully awake in the darkness, his keen senses fully alerted, the hair on his neck standing up, his barbarian instict was warning him of some obscure danger, cautiously going out of the bed he looked around with circumspection at the room faintly illuminated by the light of the full moon filtering through the window.
After ascertanining that he and the boy were alone in there he reached the window and peeked through the wooden lists, there he could clearly see Ulfir running across the snowy fields completely naked then disappear in the woods.
Startled Kairn wondered what was happening.

------------------------------------------------

A)Go after Ulfir.

B)None of your business, return to bed.

C)You don't feel as sleeping anymore, go down in the tavern to see if you can find some wine.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Can we tell if Ulfir was running away from or towards something?

Kairn was fully awake in the darkness, his keen senses fully alerted, the hair on his neck standing up, his barbarian instict was warning him of some obscure danger
Could it be that whatever he is running from is in the tavern?

Nevill

Arcane
Well, now I am awfully curious what you could chase naked in the snow. A.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom