Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA]The Hyborian Age

Kz3r0

Arcane
Everyone lost interest or people are too shy to vote A?
Let' say that A won then, unless someone object and want to vote something else, of course.:M

Grim Monk

Arcane
Let's not be rash.

I advise capturing and interrogating her to find out what all this is about.
The Mind Control powers, and the Serpent showing personal interest...

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Grey Stranger

ConanTheFrostGiantsDaughterCOVER565.jpg

Kairn launched himself after the fugitive woman.

Her figure was like an errant snowflake glittering on the line of the horizon.

Kairn's feet were barely touching the snow, all his body leaning forwards, every fiber of his being concentrated on the chase.

Her form danced in the distance like the flame of a candle, a fickle mirage.

The eyes of the young Cimmeriam narrowed, concentrating all of his attention on that argentine will of the wisp.

That wild pursue awakened Kairn's predatory instinct, his nostrils strongly contracted in the effort of driving more air into the lungs.

With the agility of a savage beast he devoured yard after yard.

Her undulating silhouette became more and more defined in front of him until her sinuous forms were clearly visible through the diaphanous veils that covered her body, exciting Kairn's lust even more.

Now she wasn't a phantasm anymore, her corporeality quasi tangible.

With a last mad dash he jumped dragging her down in the snow.

Deaf to her screams he clawed at her limbs, tearing apart the puny veils that offered the last, ephemeral obstacle to
his desire.

He kissed that silk smooth skin with the ardor of a rapacious hunger.

He ignored her pleas and sobbing voice while trying to force his way.

The icy burning feeling of her body made Kairn shiver at the contact.

She struggled desperately under him, her nails draw red trails on the skin of the Cimmerian that was completely lost in the softness of her flesh.

After a while her laments became a litany.

Ár vas alda, vasa sandr né sær, né svalar unnir.

Her agile fingers began to trace runes on the skin of her tormentor.

Jörð fansk æva né upphiminn;gap vas ginnunga.

She gritted her teeth until scarlet pearls appeared on her lips, then she spit on Kairn's face.

þars Ymir byggði.

This last words transformed in an inhumane shriek that cut with blinding pain trough the brain of the Cimmerian that recoiled from her holding his ears.

At this the sky darkened and the top of the mountains trembled at the roar of an outraged god.

Kairn's body jolted with the shocking sensation of thousands of hot needles piercing his skin and then fell cold dead.

FrazettaNorseman.jpg

He woke with his back laid on a plateau of barren rock.

Around him were colossal mountains that encircled the sky as a gigantic prison, looking at his feet he saw down in the valley a village enshrouded by fog, the sight gave him a vague reminiscence of his own village.

Raising up was caught by a sense of claustrophobic vertigo when the foreign stars above swirled like water in a well.
He had the strange sensation of incomparable distances coupled with the irrational conviction that they could have been traveled in a few steps if he have would.

Turning back he saw in front of him, seated on a large flat rock, a hooded figure leaning against a crooked staff.

"Who are you, that tainted by sacred blood and vile infamy appear in front of me like a stray dog?"

The voice spoke with the rasping of wood branches rubbing against each other.

"Watch your tongue stranger, this dog has the fangs of a wolf."
Answered with anger Kairn.

A quite humming came from under the hood that grow louder, becoming a cacophony of rocks grinding against each other like the sound of an avalanche.

With his hairs standing on their ends Kairn realized that that was a laughter.

"Amusing", said the voice of a child, or was a senile old man who spoke?
"Such impudence for someone with the mark of the pariah."

The sight of the Cimmerian was blurred by a red haze hearing this.
"How you dare?"
He said grinning his teeth and closing his grip on the hilt of the sword that was still at his side.

"Pride?"Said the voice like the lament of a pained woman.
"Where was your pride when you scorned your heritage, only for being toyed with by the mortal enemy of your race?"

Kairn couldn't help in shivering in presence of that mysterious being, while his heart was aflame with rage his soul was
frozen by atavic fears.

Nonetheless he defiantly responded at that mockery.
"Are you trying to frighten me as old women do with children by telling stories of dead ghosts and pale larvae?"
Kairn made a sweeping gesture with his hand as to drive away a molest bug.
"Mere shadows don't concern the living with red hot blood in his veins."

"A bold attitude, still, didn't you came here by chasing a pale shadow yourself?"
This was the cristalline voice of a young maiden.
"Forgotten by your uncaring god you made an enemy of another in your shameful pursuit, his scorn resounded even here."

These words greatly upset Kairn, but he maintained his composure.
"Crom has no concern for his children aside giving them strength and courage and I don't know any other than him."
In saying this he unsheathed his sword.
"Here I am, standing on both my feet with a blade of cold steel in my hand, a warrior couldn't ask for more."

"O impious one, your blasphemy doesn't know limits?"
The figure pondered heavily for some instants, then a metallic sound echoed with the gravity of the ages.
"But there is truth in these words, aren't you in front of me, isn't your mere presence a challenge to the power of the gods?"
The figure lowered his head.
"Aeons come and go as the wheel eternally turns, is this the moment of passage, the waning of the incommensurable eras and the advent of something that frightens even me?"

The pitch black darkness of the hood stared directly at Kairn.

"Foolish kid, you made me concerned."
Now the regal voice of an emperor addressed the Cimmerian.
"Yours is the path of heresy, but this is something that can still be corrected."

With a large gesture the figure exposed three weapons in front of himself.
"Here are my gifts for you, choose wisely the one that suits you best."

Kairn looked entranced at that sight, they were magnificent, slowly he got near them.

One was a long sword with an engraved phoenix, even from where he was he could feel its power, the other was an imposing double axe reproducing an eagle which open wings were the two blades, his regality was evident, the last one was an ominous looking short scimitar with a large blade,the hilt shaped like a scorpion with the circling raised tail to form the hand guard, ideal for close combat.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

A)Choose the Phoenix Sword.

B)Choose the Royal Axe.

C)Choose the Scorpion Scimitar.

D)Choose the sword you got from your father, you don't need anything else.

E)Enough with this charade, try to see who is hiding under that hood.

F)Ignore the offer and try to reach the village down in the valley.

*Reference and inspiration for this story:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Gods_of_the_North

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I might flip too B. I really liked the stories where Conan became king.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B. Isn't picking the "safe" options what got us exiled?

oscar

Arcane
Yeah don't pussy out. Those losers had the gall to outcast us. Their loss, we're going on to bigger and better things.

oscar

Arcane
Why'd you vote D? If this is a metaphor for Kairn's ambition, why not aim high? If this is literal, why not get a cool new weapon?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yeah, and if it's not, then rip his mask off. Picking D is pretty pointless IMHO.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Why'd you vote D? If this is a metaphor for Kairn's ambition, why not aim high? If this is literal, why not get a cool new weapon?

Because in the book's Conan was neither Elric of Melnibone , nor King Arthur...

Kz3r0

Arcane
I appreciate the discussion, however all the three weapons are references to Howard stories plus some pretty obvious symbolism.
@ Grim Monk, scroll down the update and you will see the link to the original story that inspired this last updates.

Kz3r0

Arcane
At the moment we have:
B2
C1
D3
If someone is wondering, if you didn't choose to go North you won't have encountered the Vanirs.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yes if you want, Tomorrow I think that I will post a bonus update illustrating one of the option without votes, by Monday morning I will consider the vote closed.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Sorry for the delay, real life happened and I wasn't able to prepare the bonus update in time, I am working on it.
Obviously, having a tie between B(3) and D(3), the vote is still open.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm voting for B again. Also you can be the tiebreaker!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom