Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP] Enlist in the Royal Dragoons! Codex plays Sabres of Infinity

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So you want a bookworm (bespectacled, well-read & head full of ideas) to help us keep the discipline in our meery band of bastard?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
He won't improve our stats, he will just improve the discipline stat of our unit. Also lithium flower has said, the coice of NCO has consequences beyond the stats.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He won't improve our stats, he will just improve the discipline stat of our unit. Also lithium flower has said, the coice of NCO has consequences beyond the stats.
It's less about stat improvement and more about having an NCO who can formulate a plan where we can't.

Pick Hernandes as my Sergeant.

"T-thank you sir! Oh thank you! I will finally be able to test my new ideas! Give me some time to get my books and some men. I-I'll be right back!"

Hernandes is overjoyed when you select him as your sergeant. Excitedly, he scrambles out of the tent as he is dismissed.

(What an enthusiastic fellow. We've surely made the right choice.)

-

Hernandes returns two hours later with a dozen of Dragoons. They seem a mixed bag, some small, some tall and one fellow who seems barely out of boyhood. The only thing they have in common is that they all seem to want to be anywhere except here, under the command of a newly-promoted sergeant who does not cease his poking and prodding for a moment.

You take the four men who seem the least likely to slit their wrists at the thought of becoming test animals for your eccentric new sergeant.

-

You instruct your new unit to assemble at the ruins of Noringia's landward gate at 8:00 the next morning, giving you plenty of time to finish your business in the town. You and Lanzerel make your way to the pastures outside of Noringia's ruined town walls as the sun begins its long descent from its apex. The establishment of Noringia as the main port-of-arrival for the King's army has made it a feeding ground for those willing to make a profit out of the war. Accepting this as a fact of campaigning, the quartermasters of the Royal Army have set up their offices outside the walls. The grasslands outside the walls are now covered with orderly rows of tents and pavillions.

The quartermaster's office is a large circular pavillion made of dull grey cloth. You barely have time to enter before the man at the desk sees the spurs on your boots and directs you to the stablemaster's tent, on the other side of the assembled tent city.

It takes you half an hour to make your way to the correct tent. The stablemaster's pavilion is a small half-open canvas structure hosting a series of manned desks and very little else. Behind the tent stands a large corral made from rough-hewn logs.

-

The horses wandering upon the churned-up turf of the corral are hardly prize specimens. They are almost all mares, considered to be more tractable and better behaved, but smaller and with less raw power. Most of the horses available look sickly and malnourished: their eyes are sunken, their coats dull and you can see the ribs sticking out from the bodies of the worst afflicted. Clearly the long sea voyage and the makeshift conditions under which they are being housed have not done the poor animals any favours.

Lanzerel does mention an alternative though: several horse merchants, both foreign and local, have set up shop in the tent-market. The scarcity of tolerable mounts for the King's Army have driven horse prices up, and these merchants have clearly come to profit. Regardless of their motives, these private sellers do offer superior horseflesh… for a price.

"Just be careful sir," he advises. "A big charger may look impressive on the field, but stallions are nasty-tempered and stubborn cusses. Find yourself a mare or a gelding if you want something easier to ride."

You:

1) Requisition a horse from the official stables.
2) Buy a horse from a merchant with my own funds.

As of the Spring of the 602nd year of the Old Imperial Era.

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 110
Income: 5

Soldiering: 64%

Charisma: 40%

Intellect: 0%

Health: 75%

Idealism: 60% Cynicism: 40%

Ruthlessness: 41% Mercy: 59%

You have no decorations as of yet.

Senior NCO: Sergeant Hernandes

Discipline: 50%

Morale: 10%

Loyalty: 25%

baud

Arcane
Patron
Since we're not using our money for gambling or to give to the poors, let's spend it on getting a horse beffiting of our station.

As for the NCO: YIKES

Kipeci

Arcane
Since we're not using our money for gambling or to give to the poors, let's spend it on getting a horse beffiting of our station.

As for the NCO: YIKES
Looks like he’s on track to start developing into a Codexian masterpiece to me.

I vote 1, horses sound expensive and I’d prefer to get some looting in before I pony up the big money.

(Gentlemen, this is still a CYOA at the core, not an RPG. There is no traditional looting or inventory management. There will be gear acquisition and even trophies, but these are significant, one-of-a-kind kind of upgrades. You won't be able to swap horses or sabres after every combat ala Mount&Blade, or pop a town portal and come back to the shop later.)

Coming to the decision that a few extra crowns will be of little use if you are caught with an inadequate horse in combat, you decide to spend a little bit extra to acquire a more impressive and capable mount.

Many of the horse merchants have already closed up shop, having sold their stock of mounts for the day. After two hours of searching and haggling, you and Lanzerel examine your options, as meagre as they are:

A grey mare named "Faith", a stolid, timid looking animal with a few white spots on her neck. Although smallish and hardly impressive, she seems reliable and healthy. Her owner is willing to part with her for 20 crowns.

The only other horse you find for sale is expensive beyond the pale, but clearly the finest horse in the entire camp, a gigantic black stallion named "Thunderer", a mount suited for a Knight of the Red or a general. Stallions are notoriously hotheaded and difficult to control, but you have no doubt that you will cut a dashing figure perched atop such a magnificent animal. He commands the downright-exorbitant price of 100 crowns.

1) Buy Faith.
2) Buy Thunderer.
3) It's not worth the money. I requisition an army horse.

As of the Spring of the 602nd year of the Old Imperial Era.

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 110

Kipeci

Arcane
1 > 3

That Thunderer would wipe out almost all of our money. Faith is at least not about to keel over and die like the gov ones, it seems totally reasonable.

JRIz

Augur
2. I think we are actually lucky that we have enough money for Thunderer at this point. This way, we can have the best horse as well as the (surely) best sergeant.

We have good Soldiering so it won't throw us off at once. As far as I understand, we would also need good Intellect to tend to it and keep it healthy. Hopefully, it won't run away from us at first chance or starve. Inb4 "food not included" and it will last us only 2 days.

You decide to pull out all the stops. Believing your horsemanship to be good enough and your purse fat enough, you step in to buy the best damn horse in the camp.

You stride confidently up to the merchant to make your decision. The seller, a haughty Takaran dressed in the latest fashions from Varsovia, looks down upon you imperiously until you pour a pile of gold crowns on the table.

An intense round of haggling ensues. Blond-haired and haughty, the point-eared merchant refuses to budge. He can't be convinced to budge on the price, but to close the deal, he throws in an excellently made set of saddlery as well. You can't help but feel patronized as you walk away with your new horse.

You and Sergeant Lanzerel seem to walk just a little bit taller as you lead your magnificent new mount to the officer's stables. Men stop to stare at your new horse and his excellent fittings with awe. Officers freeze in disbelief as they contemplate the fact that such an exquisite animal is to be relegated to the service of a mere cornet. Every time someone stops in their tracks to gawp, you feel a little bit more important.

-

You barely have enough time to catch a quick supper at the Officers' Club yourself before the sun goes down. Returning to your comfortable room for the last time, you write off a few letters to your family and go over your equipment and possessions, ensuring that all is in readiness.

After a full night's sleep, you dress, wash and assemble your kit, leaving out the door half an hour after sunrise. It is the work of a few minutes to saddle, feed and prepare provisions for Thunderer and set off.

Sergeant Hernandes and your men are waiting for you at the gate, right on schedule. Your sergeant scrutinizes each man's appearance and uniform carefully, pointing out and correcting each slight imperfection and regulation infraction with embarrassing awkwardness before finally proclaiming your unit ready to set out.

-

Thus finally assembled, the six of you ride out the gate in single file, along the Old Imperial Highway.

Glory — or infamy — awaits.

CHAPTER IV
Wherein the cavalry officer serves under a KNIGHT OF THE RED and faces a BANELORD of ANTAR.

The Kharan River Crossing outpost turns out to be a barely fortified and very rudimentary camp some ten kilometres from the actual bridge across the river itself. Hidden in the forests of southern Antar, the outpost serves to prevent the Antari from moving troops or supplies down the Old Imperial Highway.

To that purpose, the King's Army has garrisoned the outpost with some of its best: a half company of the elite Grenadier Guards Regiment. Your small unit of Dragoons has been assigned to accompany them as messengers, scouts and if necessary, a cavalry reserve.

Thus, your duties are simple: patrol the area around the outpost, keep eyes on the bridge over the River Kharan, and maintain contact with other nearby outposts and high command.

-

For six months you have discharged these monotonous duties, leading your men through endless patrols through the seemingly-boundless forests of Southern Antar. You have spent countless days riding single-file down narrow dirt trails and game tracks rain or shine, through sickness and health.

Of course, you have not been idle over this long stretch. You have had plenty of time in between patrols and courier missions to see to the condition of the men under your command. You have used that time profitably to:

1)Drill my men relentlessly.
2) Gain the loyalty of my men.
3) Inspire my men by example.

(Since six months have passed, State of War has finally updated below.)

As of the Autumn of the 602nd year of the Old Imperial Era.

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 40

MICHAEL BRIGGINS
(Born 578 OIE) Lieutenant in the Royal Tierran Navy, Third Lieutenant, HMSVictorious, Baneless.

CAIUS D'AL CAZAROSTA
(Born 585 OIE) Cornet of the Royal Dragoon Regiment. Illegitimate son of the Countess of Leoniscourt. Deathborn.

SIR JOHANNES D'AL FINDLAY, DUKE OF CUNARIS
(Born 556 OIE) Lord colonel of the Royal Dragoon Regiment. Knight-Grandmaster of the order of Saint Jerome. A sitting member of the Cortes and head of the noble house of Findlay. Banecaster of the 8th Calibre.

LORD DAVIS D'AL ELSON
(Born 584 OIE) Cornet of the Royal Dragoon Regiment, eldest son of the Baron of Hawthorne , a poor, but politically influential Cortes noble. In possession of aspirations to knighthood. Banecaster of the 3rd Calibre.

SOLHAMMOND LANZEREL
(Born 574 OIE) Sergeant of the Royal Dragoon Regiment, formerly of the 4th Regiment of Foot. Baneless.

SIR ALFRED D'AL MONTEZ
(Born 565 OIE) The Commanding officer of the Third Squadron of the Royal Dragoon Regiment. holds the rank of captain. Baneblood.

HIS TIERRAN MAJESTY, KING MIGUEL I OF HOUSE RENDOWER
(Born 586 OIE) Reigning monarch of the Unified Kingdom of Tierra as well as Duke of Aetoria. Young and impetuous, but capable. Baneblood.

RICHARD WALKEN, RN
(Born 565 OIE) Captain of the List in the Royal Tierran Navy. Commanding officer, HMS Victorious. Baneless

antar_map.jpg

SPRING, 602:

With the thawing of the winter snows, the Tierran Army has begun expanding its beachhead around the town of Noringia.

The King has demanded that at least three Regiments of Foot and one Regiment of Horse must be deployed reinforce the forces in Antar by the end of summer.

The Earl of Crittenden, Port-Admiral at Northern Pillars, reports the Calligian Sea to be free of Antari warships.

SUMMER, 602:

Elements of the King's Army have reached the River Kharan. Construction has begun on numerous outposts along the river.

Royal Tierran Intelligence reports that a large Antari army is being mustered to repel the Tierran Army. His Grace the Duke of Wulfram is dispatched to take overall command of the Tierran Army in Antar.

The Northern Fleet attempts to launch an amphibious raid against the Antari port of Kharangia. Shore batteries repel the attack. The Northern Fleet loses two frigates, and a third-rate of the line.

The Royal Dragoon Regiment lands in Antar, along with the 6th of Foot, the 8th of Foot and the Kentauri Highlanders.

AUTUMN, 602:

A 14 000-strong Antari army advances south from Octobirit, with the intent of retaking Noringia.

The Duke of Wulfram assembles a force of nine regiments, numbering 6 000 men, to face the Antari, with the intention of isolating individual columns and destroying the enemy by detail.

Kipeci

Arcane
Morale seems pretty low. I guess 3 is the one to fix that since the others deop the stats by name, so let’s go for that. We should provide a pretty good example with our soldiering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom