Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA]The Hyborian Age

Kz3r0

Arcane
I'm voting for B again. Also you can be the tiebreaker!
All right, in an hour there will be the Italian lotto drawings, if the first number on Bari's wheel will be from 1 to 45 B wins, if instead is from 46 to 90 D wins, unless there are other votes, of course.
Here the page where you can verify the result:
http://www.lottomaticaitalia.it/lotto/home/
The date you have to look for is :
ULTIMA ESTRAZIONE 03/03/2012

Kz3r0

Arcane
Just to give you something to read until the next update I will illustrate the various options I gave you:

A the phoenix sword, inspired by The Phoenix on the Sword, if you had choose this you would have successfully got rid of the Serpent, also, the Phoenix is a renown symbol of death and rebirth.

B the Royal Ax, related to A, inspired by By This Axe I Rule!, a Kull story that inspired The Phoenix on the Sword, being the winning option means that the effects of this choice will become apparent in the course of the game.

C the Scorpion Scimitar, inspired by The Altar and The Scorpion, another Kull story, it would have gave you some perk against supernatural creatures.

D as Decline, the option to stay your course of infamy, something that the grey stranger tried to correct, I admit that this character is a plot device, having a barbarian defying the gods is not out of place in Howard stories nor the passing of the gods themselves, but in his stories said barbarian use his savage iron will and courage, something that Kairn lacks a bit at the moment.

E I will probably illustrate in a bonus update.

F the bonus update on which I was working.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Thank you, I don't make promises because usually they don't end well, let's say that I am halfway in writing the update.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Of Kings and Warriors
23+Kull.jpg

Winning the superstitious terror inspired by that stranger Kairn advanced with determination towards the hooded figure, his gaze fixed upon the royal axe, hypnotized by its majesty.

With decision he grabbed the handle, extracting the axe from the ground.
Holding the weapon in his hands gave the young Cimmerian a sense of euphoria.

"Oh, pride and ambition still dwell in your heart."
Now the voice of the stranger was like a rattle of bones.
"But, I wonder if your reckless youth will be enough to carry such a huge burden."
The mockery was evident.

Fiery fires were burning in Kairn's eyes, his barbarian nature had been awakened, an exhilarating sensation of temerity begun invading his body, his hands tightened their grip on the axe's handle.

"Seems that You have fully retrieved your arrogance foolish kid, and all because of a new toy."
This was like the sibilant voice of the Serpent.
"You choose a path of unending regrets, infinite resentment and mortal grudges that will only end in despair, as all the
ambitions of Man."

The Cimmerian shrugged.
"Such is life, for this the only difference between to be king or to be a beggar is the blade in your hands, some demented philosophy is not of my concern nor are the incorporeal ghosts of the night."

The hooded figure leaned against his crooked staff and raised the palm of his hand, that became big as the whole valley, elevating the young Cimmerian at the same eight of his giant stature.

Nothing more than a bug in comparison, Kairn was now facing the vast desolation lying beyond the hood occupying the entire horizon.

With the murmur of thousands voices intermingled, the titanic figure spoke.
"Let' see kid, let' see, amuse me."

Ever changing alien landscapes and impossible perspectives flashed before his eyes, until he found himself at the center
of a plain covered in the darkness of stormy clouds, illuminated only by the lightings raining down from the sky with
the fracas of apocalyptic thunders.

frank-frazetta-death-dealer-02.jpg

Long processions of forgotten armies of forgotten kingdoms advanced towards the barbarian with their discolored banners.
A ghastly sight of dead soldiers and of even more dead kings and their ambitions.
Their grudge against the living was palpable, with their envy.

Kairn laughed at seeing the dangling heads of pompous sovereigns with their vacillating crowns, those skeleton like figures with their livid flesh and rusty armors appeared to him more like broken marionettes than a menace.

"Crom, are these the rejects of the Valhalla of which Aesirs speak?"

And with this he grinned his teeth and charged at them with savage ferocity.

conan-frazetta.jpg

The axe easily broke the armors, cutting through the rotten flesh, crushing the dried up bones.

The rusty blades of those miserable souls were no match for the royal axe and the arm wielding it.

For hours Kairn slaughtered the dead, the swats of his weapon felled hundreds at his right and hundreds at his left, still that appeared not enough to him, under his heels golden crowns and iron helmets rolled.

"Crom, I am thirsty."
Exclaimed the barbarian pausing for a moment.

In that the tide of the dead stood still and slowly parted itself to make way to a demonic figure, a knight with a black
eagle on his shield and the burning fires of hell as his eyes was in front of the Cimmerian now, without a word he launched his horse against Kairn, the blood stained battle axe raised over his head.

web-frazetta.jpg

With feline agility Kairn thrown himself under the legs of the horse, severing the front pair in half, the mounted figure
crumbled ruinously on the ground.

Jumping at the occasion the young barbarian attacked the fallen enemy without giving respite, blue flames erupted when the blade of the axe impacted against the raised shield, Kairn continued to hit with all his might, devastating blows that shook his own bones, until the shield crack open with a blinding flash.

King Venarius woken up with a scream in his bed causing his personal guards to enter the room.
"What happens sire?"
Asked the Captain.

"Nothing, nothing."
Answered the king with anger.
"Leave me alone."

Reluctantly the guards begun to left the room when the king stopped them.
"Wait, call Mordek and tell him to come here, immediately."

"Yes sire."

The mage arrived in few minutes and reached the king on the balcony.
"Sire."
Said the mage in his usual obsequious manner, a dreaded figure, Mithra's priests didn't hide their malcontent when Venarius choose him as his counselor, not that the king cared.

"That didn't took long, do you ever sleep Mordek?"

"I am always ready at your call sire."
Answered the mage with a smile.

Venarius seemed annoyed by such servility.
"Sure, sure, I need your counsel about a dream I had, a dream that frightened me more that I could imagine."

Mordek answered with solicitude.
"Could you tell me all the details sire?"

"Yes, I still remember it perfectly."
Venarius looked down the balcony, posing his gaze upon the asleep city of Tarantia.
"I was mounting my warhorse, the sun was high in the sky, the golden hawk, symbol of my family, was flying over me, when suddenly the sky was obscured by a giant black eagle that attacked the hawk, killing it instantly."
Venarius still trembled at the thought.
"Then I launched my horse in a desperate run, with the eagle chasing me, I don't know for how long it lasted when suddenly a giant serpent appeared in front of me, scaring the horse and causing me to lose my mount."
Venarius turned his head towards Mordek that was listening intently.

"In such fashion the dream ended sire?"
Asked the mage respectfully.

"Yes, and this seems to concern you as it concerns me."

"Indeed this dream is surely a message from the higher powers that protect you sire, with your permission I will retire to
consult my oracles to give you advice the soonest as I can."

Venarius looked at the mage suspiciously, many times the mage helped him, in unconfessable manners most of the times, but now he was growing wary of that insidious man.
"You have my permission, and be haste."

"Of course my sire."
Said the mage lowering his head, hiding a wicked smile.

The pale sun high in the sky was hurting Kairn's eyes, slowly he raised up from the snow.
He looked around trying to discern where he was, he could barely recollect the memory of the battle with the Vanir and of a fleeting argentine figure.

In that moment he felt a strange sensation on his right shoulder, surprised he saw a black eagle tattooed there, with spread wings.
For a moment he caressed that part trying to make sense of it, then he put aside useless concerns and began to walk towards the sleigh visible in the distance, behind him a diaphanous veil was carried away by the wind.

Didn't seem that much time was passed, the blood of men and beasts was still fluid, Kairn took the chance for eating the liver of the bears, as he used to do during the hunts.

Meticulously he prepared the meat and the fat to carry with him, terminated that tedious task he began to examine the equipment of the fallen Vanirs, now he was wearing a chainmail vest padded with fur and an helmet padded with wool, he wasn't still used to use them and felt a little uncomfortable.

After this he examined the sleigh and his revolting content, all his anger now had burned out, only the quiet acceptance of the reality of the life in the North remained, in a compartment under the sleigh he found some vase containing various oils and ointments, without giving much thought at such strange items he drenched the sleigh with them, adding the furs wore by the dead Vanirs.

Now only one last thing remained, with a single blow he drove the blades of the dead warriors' axes in the ground, forming a circle around the improvised pyre and lit the fire.

He observed how the flames began to consume the wood of the sleigh, if the shaman would have been there he could have offered an invocation to Crom, so that had to suffice, after all Kairn had already offered to the fallen the only prayer that counts for a Cimmerian, vengeance.

When the flames were burning high in volutes of thick smoke Kairn was already far, continuing his journey to the North.

Continue...

Note:
Sorry, but the update was already too long, I will post the second part with the votes later on.

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Yet another Bump.

Edit:
Also, has everybody simply lost interest?

This is the :( 3rd or 4th time I've bumped this thread...

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yet another Bump.

Edit:
Also, has everybody simply lost interest?

This is the :( 3rd or 4th time I've bumped this thread...
It 's very appreciated, thanks.:love:
Unfortunately at the moment I can't guarantee for how long I will can update my LPs, so I prefer to leave things as they are, I will see what I could do.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Sorry, no real update for now, here however is the bonus chapter that I have alraedy mentioned, it was already half written so I have decided to complete it.

Down the Hill

il_fullxfull.205893259.jpg

Kairn hesitated in front of that offer, the more he stayed in its presence the more he felt the grip of fear on his heart.

A deathly cold was lingering in his soul,slowly he begun to retreat, one step after another, faster and faster, until he turned his back and began to run away from that being, away from that unknown fear, down, towards the village, down, towards the things he lost, down, chasing that nostalgic feeling that was tearing his eyes, an inhumane desperation that he never thought possible.

gray.JPG

He was now barren of all his arrogance and pride, the warmth of life seemed to have abandoned his limbs.
He passed through gusts of chilling fog,the faint sight of the village as his guide.

Hedgehog-in-the-Fog-Tree.jpg

With frantic steps he reached the outskirts of the village.

A mounting sensation of relief began to invade his soul when an imposing figure appeared in front of him.

Taller than his father, the man looked eerily similar to him, his grey eyes were hard as rock and his gaze was like sharpened steel.

Kairn gasped for breath trying to saying something when the man put forward the palm of his open hand, a clear indication to stop.

Dumbfounded Kairn tentatively advanced of few steps, but his legs seemed heavier than lead, and the solid terrain seemed to transform in quicksands at every movement of the young Cimmerian.

Kairn was now prey of a terrifying panic, desperately he waved his arms trying to escape the ineaorable grip that was swallowing him.

Impassible the man looked Kairn disappear with crossed arms.

Hand.jpeg

A cold darkness welcomed Kairn's awakening, he raised his hands encountering the resistance of a hard rock substance, after few moments of disorientation he realized that had been buried alive.

Desperately his fingers begun to dig in the ice hardened soil covering him, with the passing of the minutes his breath became heavier and heavier, without any cure for his broken nails and bleeding hands little by little he created an opening, thankfully the layer of earth covering him was thinner than he thought, the ice hardened soil probably prevented who buried him from dig deeper.

Having finally opened a hole he began to enlarge it until he could finally broke free from that grave.
With trembling legs he stood in the cold of the night, unaware of how much time had passed.

In the distance he saw the wavering flame of a campfire where the sleigh was.
With difficulty he advance towards that promise of warmth and human companionship forgetting all precautions.

There were two men near the fire, the wind carried their voices to Kairn, Cimmerians, probably scouts.

"We shouldn't have done that."

"He was taboo, we couldn't take him back to the village."

"But he died a hero, these dead Vanirs are proof of that, don..."

The two men abruptly ended their conversation at the sight of Kairn, pointing their spears at him with eyes full of superstitious terror.

Kairn raised his hands to show that he meant no harm, but before he could utter a word he felt the cold sensation of a flint tip piercing his chest.

While penetrating Kairn's body the spears broke in half, blinded by fury he jumped at his aggressors, he felled the first with a powerful blow to the temple, the man still looked petrified when hitting the ground with his skull smashed open.
The second man tried to reach for his knife but Kairn was already on him with his hands firmly around his throat, such was his fury that he crushed the neck of his opponent instead of only strangling him.

Still possessed by an inhumane rage he grabbed the knife and sliced open the chest of his fellow Cimmerian, ravenously his hand ripped out the palpitating heart, and Kairn squeezed the last drop of blood by the crimson organ, satiating a thirst born in the darkest corners of the nether realm.

With strong bites he began to devour the fibrous flesh, finally his body felt the warmth of life again, renovating hopes and desires, dissipating the grisly mood of death, then he finally realized what he was doing, with horror he distanced himself from the corpse that had been his obscene feast.

In that moment he sensed a swirl in the air around him like the passing of diaphanous vests, the ringing of a crystalline laughter in his ears, he begun to circle around, tenuous forms danced in the nocturnal breeze, teasing and taunting him in a ghastly carousel.

Dance-of-the-Fae.jpg

"All hail the king."
Commanded an imperious voice.

"Hail king of maggots."
Echoed a joyous infantile choir.

A bleak terror was now Kairn's only sentiment.

The voices continued,
"Praised be the king."
"Be damned to rot in the grave forever."

"Glory to the king."
"A bumbling fool which livid flesh dangle with his entrails."

"Honor to the king."
"The revenge of the frost giant it's too of a compliment for him."

Crumbling on his knees Kairn tried to shut down the voices by covering his ears, finally they dissipated, and the night air was calm again.

The Cimmerian, hesitating, raised his eyes, in front of him was once again the grey stranger.

"Foolish kid, trying to escape the gods, you should be grateful tho, your soul has been snatch away from the fangs of the Serpent."

Kairn stood up, advancing menacingly towards that grim figure, even fear was now exhausted inside his heart, immobile the grey stranger awaited.

Kairn's fist only hit the cold air, furiously he turned back, searching for his enemy, only to see the dead Vanirs in front of him, their dead eyes fixed on him, with the axes in their hands.

This sight was most a surprise than anything else, now only apathy inhabited the spirit of the Cimmerian.

Behind them he could see the grey stranger.
"Greet your new subjects King Kairn."

At these words the Vanirs knelt in front of Kairn, offering their axes as homage.
"This is your court."
Continued the spectral figure.
"From now on you will feast on the flesh and blood of the enemies you have defeated in battle at every new cycle of the moon, failing to do so will bring the suffering of hell upon your dead flesh."

Passing through the ranks of the warriors the grey stranger moved towards Kairn.
"Farewell King Kairn,"
With these last words it disappeared.

Kairn looked at his new guard of dead warriors and noticed that the other dead Cimmerian had joined them.
And now he knew, with absolute clarity, what his fate would have been.

ghost-lady-moon-night.jpg

And so it began, a new legend born on the battlefield, of a ghoul army hired as mercenaries, that fought only at night, which leader was perennially clad in a black armor, such a dreaded presence that even in a world dominated by necromancy it was considered revolting.

The Nemedian chronicles report of an undead army defeated by a coalition of frightened kings, horrified by what they themselves brought upon their lands.

The chronicles speak of a king that after have been captured it couldn't be killed by any human or magical mean, a rotten corpse in perpetual putrefaction, so terrible were its screeches that to not hear them anymore the kings ordained to entomb it in a sepulcher made of granite, chained to a black stone, sealing it with the most powerful of magic.

The whereabouts of such mausoleum seems to have been lost forever.

FIN

undead_army.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

A pity, you guys lost the chance to command a Lich King.

PS:
Hope you liked the story.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Norsemen

Weeks had passed, now Kairn was traveling the lands of Vanaheim bordering Asgard,leaving behind the Cimmerian forests and affronting the highest Northern mountains.

During the long nights he took advantage of the tools he had found in the bag his father provided to him, after mending
the helmet and clipping the broken rings of the chaimail vest, he adapted them to his body features, now they felt much more comfortable, he had began to be accustomed to their use.

Until that moment he managed to replenish his supplies hunting with the spears of the warriors he killed that he carried with him or a slingshot as in his younger days, thanks to his
experience he discovered the burrows of some lethargic animal from time to time, but now was already three days that he didn't encountered any, soon he would have to resort to thievery risking to approach some Vanir village or maybe trying to find hospitality among the Aesir, the latter option entailed a longer journey tho.

That day he began to climb the slopes of the impending mountains when he spotted the white mantle of a mountain goat on the ledges of the rock walls, without hesitation he chased after his prey.

A task that for many would have been impossible, but not for a Cimmerian.

The goat alerted of his presence climbed at the top with few hops, Kairn immediately after it.

The animal drove him through gullies and crevasses, always remaining in sight but out of the reach of Kairn' spear, it almost felt as was trying to lure him somewhere.

After a while Kairn lost it in one of the canyons that branched in maze-like cracks in the rock walls.

Was from one of those that a warrior appeared, his red hair identified him immediately as a Vanir, his glacial eyes narrowed in seeing the Cimmerian and his hand closed on the hilt of the sword, with a snarl Kairn readied for the fight when the sound of a loud voice was heard.

"Where you have gone Ulfir? By Ymir, couldn't you wait for an old friend bogged down by his numerous war wounds?"

A corpulent warrior showed up behind the man called Ulfir, his blond hairs spoken of an Aesir, a puzzling sight seeing one accompanying a Vanir.

Kairn prudentially decided to not draw his sword for the moment, in case there was more, the spear ready in his hand.

"Oh,what we have here?"
Jokingly mused the newcomer.

"A stray dog."
Sibilated through his clenched teeth Ulfir.

The sonorous laughter of the Aesir followed the response.
"Looks more like a lost puppy to me."

Kairn didn't let that remarks bother him, his acute earing caught the sound of footsteps and shortly after other men appeared from other passages, he counted nine of them.

From their look they all seemed to be from different places, there were Aesirs and Vanirs, Kairn believed to recognize a Brythunian from his short blond hairs, and from the dark skin of one of them he deduced that he should have been one of the Zingarian of which he heard.

"Hey, better be careful we have found a dangerous warrior."
Mocked one of the Vanirs.

"More probably a thief considering how unfit that chainmail is."
Said the one looking as a Brythunian.

"So how did you get that, stolen from some asleep drunkard?"
Inquired one of the Aesirs.

Kairn measured the distance between him and them, evaluating his chances for an attack.

"Look, he doesn't answer."
Said the corpulent warrior that first arrived after Ulfir.

"Maybe he's shy."
Mused another Aesir.

"It's possible, I don't see any trace of beard on those cheeks, could be a girl."
Joked the Zingarian.

"So, miss, are you a girl?"
Mocked the man that initially addressed him.

"Maybe we should check." said Ulfir whose hostility was apparent.

A red haze started to veil Kairn' sight, he was filled with rage, craving to see their bodies at his feet in a pool of blood, imperceptibly his hand moved towards the hilt of the sword.

"Enough".
An imperious voice made itself heard from behind the group, a tall figure with long red hair advanced to the front, initially Kairn mistook him for a Vanir, but now he could see from the features of that clean shaved face that he was unmistakably a Cimmerian, no, the elongated limbs spoke instead of an Hiperborean, slowly Kairn realized that such an exceptional admixture could only mean one thing, a slave of the Hyperboreans, son of slaves.

The Man looked at Kairn with eyes so clear that no trace of color was discernible.

"I am Valdyr, my companions meant no harm or offense, that there may be peace between us Cimmerian."
In saying so he extended his hand to show the open palm, a sign of non belligerance.

His rage quieted for the moment Kairn answered:
"I am Kairn."

"Are you the son of a blacksmith Kairn?" asked Valdyr "I can see that your vest and helmet have been recently fixed, and there aren't villages nearby where you could have the work done."
Seeing the hesitation of Kairn he continued.
"I am asking this because we would like to have with us someone with experience able to fix our weapons and armors better that we could."

"Right" laughed one of the Aesirs, "we really need someone to polish our swords."
A series of vulgar laughters followed, cut short by Valdyr' s glare.

"Keep quiet fools, couldn't you see that he is a warrior?"
He directed his gaze towards Kairn now.
"Look closely and you will realize that he has already killed an enemy in battle", and after a pause, "more than one."

After these words the attitude of the men changed and become more respectful, surely an effect of their Chief's authority, only Ulfir hostility seemed to remain unchanged.

"We are going to visit a friend of us that will provide shelter and supplies for our journey, if you will join us, at least for a while, in exchange for repairing our equipment we will offer you food and shelter, and protection from wild beasts, making your sleep more comfortable and safe."
Offered Valdyr.

"Well, will be more safer tho if you just avoid to sleep too close to Ramiras", winked the corpulent Aesir indicating the Zingarian with a nod.

Ramiras didn't seem to appreciate the joke and the laughters that ensued, but nonetheless he smiled and made a little bow in Kairn's direction.
"Don't mind the jests of these savages, I can assure you that I am a most refined and proper gentleman."

Kairn thought that what he had been told of civilized people was right, they always smile, especially when they stab you in the back, he was already growing to despise the southerner.

One of the Vanir was growing impatient.
"Haste Valdyr, haste, soon will come the night and is unsafe being in these mountains any longer, especially after being led here by that cursed goat, that now seems to have disappeared in thin air like the dawn's mist."

"Ymir what got you Thurig, are you still scared by the uncertain shadows of the night?"
Exclaimed the stout Aesir.

"Don't say that name Unnarr, not here, not now, those weren't shadows, the most foul creatures of Niflheim are on the prowl, it's better not that dark will catch us here."

Unnarr exploded "Those priests of yours sure scared you good as a child, they are all but dogs collecting the scraps of warriors with old hags' tales."

Thurig now was almost trembling "I am not scared of his dogs but by his bitches", he let his gaze wander around searching for support from the other two Vanirs.

Ulfir intervened, "We have already wasted too much time Valdyr, let's move."

"As you can see we are parting now, do you will join us then?" asked Valdyr again.

A)Accept.

These options will be counted together, and the one with more votes among them will decide the direction.
B)Refuse an continue North.
C)Refuse and go East.
D)Refuse and go back, South.
E)Refuse and go West alone.

F)Now that they are relaxed is your occasion to attack them.(if this option will win the outcome will be randomized.)

Last edited:

Cool name

Arcane
I will abstain myself from participating until I do manage to read the entire thread. Yet I do still feel I have to say this part...

Winning the superstitious terror inspired by that stranger Kairn advanced with determination towards the hooded figure, his gaze fixed upon the royal axe, hypnotized by its majesty.

... did spawn all kind of very wrong images on my mind involving two almost naked euphoric beefcakes and much handle holding. :oops:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I will abstain myself from participating until I do manage to read the entire thread. Yet I do still feel I have to say this part...

... did spawn all kind of very wrong images on my mind involving two almost naked euphoric beefcakes and much handle holding. :oops:
I didn't realize that my prose was so homoerotic.:P

I don't know how well your acquainted with Howard's works, but this one will probably interest you:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Avon_Fantasy_Reader/Issue_10/A_Witch_Shall_Be_Born/Chapter_I

oscar

Arcane
Kz3r0 re-reading this you have a brilliant eye for the spirit of Howard's work.

chrysagon_hyboria.jpg

I'll refrain from voting for now, but it would seem:

North will take us even deeper into frozen Scandinavia
East will take us into the lawless and chaotic Border Kingdoms with many opportunities for mercenary work
South to the warmth and riches of Aquilonia or to serve in the Vangarian Guard of the Nemedians
West to the jungles and swamps of the savage Pictish tribes

I imagine that travelling west with this group will have us aid the Aquilonians in their conquest/colonisation of the Picts. I can't see the pay or riches being too fantastic.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Kz3r0 re-reading this you have a brilliant eye for the spirit of Howard's work.
Thank you.

I'll refrain from voting for now, but it would seem:

North will take us even deeper into frozen Scandinavia
East will take us into the lawless and chaotic Border Kingdoms with many opportunities for mercenary work
South to the warmth and riches of Aquilonia or to serve in the Vangarian Guard of the Nemedians
West to the jungles and swamps of the savage Pictish tribes

I imagine that travelling west with this group will have us aid the Aquilonians in their conquest/colonisation of the Picts. I can't see the pay or riches being too fantastic.
Seems that I have got ahead of myself with the options, trying to maintaining them clear I have restricted them too much in the process, for this I have decided to change the dialog in this way:

"We are going to visit a friend of us that will provide shelter and supplies for our journey, if you will join us, at leat for a while, in exchange for repairing our equipment we will offer you food and shelter, and protection from wild beasts, making your sleep more comfortable and safe."
Now joining them will not tie the players to a predetermined direction and will leave open more possibilities in the future, sorry again for the miswriting.

oscar

Arcane
A. For lack of a better plan, and this fellow intrigues me.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Fleeting Nights

With a snarl Kairn accepted the offer,"Only for a while."

"We are headed to a nearby valley, that is three days on foot from here, there is the inn of that friend of ours of whom I alraedy told you, he has a forge and blacksmith tools too, but is not capable to use them", explained Valdyr, "till now we provided to it ourselves but we lack the knowledge of a true blacksmith, this is why I am asking for your skills", seeing tha Kairn was still tense he added, "after that you will be free to continue your journey alone or with us."

After a moment of staring at the man in the eyes Kairn imperceptibly relaxed, "For now I will be your companion."
"Thank you", said Valdyr,"Ulfir, guide us out of here, trying to catch that goat by now will be useless."

After giving Kairn a last gaze full of hostility the Vanir turned his back and began to lead the way out of the canyon, silently all the others followed him with Kairn last, everyone maintaining a prudent distance from anyone else.

magic_circle_9___cage_by_dazuma-d4i8ls9.jpg

Mordek was nervous, all his attempts at solving the puzzle of the King's dream had been unsuccessful till that moment and Venarius was growing impatient, never before something had been hidden from his gaze, what wonder was that eluded all his efforts?

For this he decided to engage in one of the most powerful rituals he knew, and that was the right night for it.

He controlled for the last time that the door conducing to his quarters was closed firmly, then, preceded by Shamir, his young apprentice, he passed through a drapery in the wall that lead through a series of corridors to a square room, only lit by the light of the moon passing through a narrow opening in the wall.

Surrounded by candelabra a deep engraving was barely visible on the floor, it represented a circle divided in four quadrants, in each a bowl to sign the cardinal points.
At the center was a smaller circle with a vase standing inside of it.

Mordek instructed his apprentice once more, "When I will be at the center of the circle you will light the nine candelabra around it, starting from south and proceeding towards west, is this clear?"

"Yes master", answered the apprentice.

"If there are any problems you must blow nine times in the whistle I have given you," at this point he raised his index finger, "and no matter what, never enter the circle until the ritual is completed, understood?"

The apprentice nodded with a scared look in his eyes, his master was used to punish even the slightest trespassing in terrible ways.

Said that the mage stepped into the center of the circle etched on the floor.
At this point the apprentice began to light the candelabra as by his master's orders.

After the ninth and last was lighten the mage took a pouch by the bag on his belt and started to pour a fine grey powder along the circle's circumference with the same motion used by the apprentice.

Done that he took a handful of black earth from the bag and put it in the southern quadrant's bowl
"Could ALKHEM guide my steps in my wanderings."

At this point, he proceeded to the west putting an handful of red ocher in the western quadrant's bowl.
"May the gates of MAHLEK concede a safe passage and return."

Now he was in the northern quadrant and put in the bowl there fine white marble powder.
"That KEHMAL could carry me far and at home."

In the eastern quadrant he filled the bowl with grounded emerald powder.
"Could HELKAM make me see far and conceal my sight to my enemies."

Completed this he crossed his legs seating in front of the vase at the center.
Carefully he took a vial of black liquid from a necklace he was wearing under his robes and poured some drops into the vase, almost immediately a crimson fog began to spring from it clouding the inside of the circle in a blood red mist.

The apprentice could hear then his master intoning a chant, "ALKHEM, MAHLEK, KEHMAL, HELKAM, ALKHEM, MAHLEK, KEHMAL", until it wasn't possible to discern the words anymore, "ALKHEMMAHLEKKEHMALHELKAMALKHEMMAHLEKKEHMALHELKAMALKHEMMAHLEKKEHMALHELKAM".

Mordek was floating above the clouds, looking up at the firmament, his beacon, the nine sisters was burning bright, then he turned his gaze towards the Earth below, from the south a black sinuous spiral elevated towards the sky, proceeding north in long dark spires stretching over Aquilonia, the mage, immersed himself in that foul stream, he was used at that extra-corporeal voyages, and the things he could encounter.

As he thought the serpent in the king's dream couldn't have any other origin that Stygia, still something was off, he delved deeper into the spires, trying to unravel their origin and purpose, but was as being caught in a whirlwind, despite his efforts he couldn't seem to advance in any direction, when reaching south a powerful invisible hand continuously thrown him back making him wander prey of the tides of that ominous smoke, despite his proficiency in the dark arts he began to fear that he would have been ended smothered, any attempt to escape from east or west was futile, the spires were growing in strength and thickness, desperately he looked north. there his attention was caught by an hair thin thread of smoke that seemed untouched by the motions of the spires, riding those malevolent waves he reached for that fickly filament, he began to follow its path, thus escaping the vicious grip of the spires.

Yes, the eagle in the dream should have symbolized the north, bit by bit all the elements were coming together, Mordek summoned powerful ethereal winds to carry him north, towards the end of that volatile thread.

Faster and faster he flied, covering miles in the blink of an eye, it wasn't longer that he was hovering over the icy lands of the north to his amazement, the thread now was more firm and easy to see pointing decisively in a downward direction, the mage eagerly continued to follow it, feeling that finally his quest was ending.

Here, he could finally see the end of the thread nesting inside a human figure moving on the ground, "A young barbarian", thought with incredulity the mage, but not only that, what his eyes saw lurking in the most intimate recesses of that savage soul filled him with delight, what a discovery, to find the key of such power in that unlikely place.

His glee was short lived tho, suddenly he was precipitating on the ground, as struck by a powerful force, despite being in his incorporeal form he couldn't help to feel frightened by the thought of the imminent impact, but what happened next filled him with terror, a chasm opened under him swallowing the mage whole.

Unexpectedly he hit a hard surface, as that was his full body, astonished Mordek looked around, and saw countless skeletons staring at him with their empty orbits, as a necromacer he was used to toy with the dead, not fear them, with apprehension he looked above, it was like being inside a giant tomb, only a little opening was visible, through which the nine sisters' brilliant light could be seen, reassured he stood up, but his confidence was shattered once again when the skeletons ranks opened up to make way to a tall figure in a black armor holding a battle axe, the infernal fires burning in his eye sockets were enough to make Mordek run for his life, all the incantations and secret pacts with the dark forces forgotten and useless.

The mage blindly ran until he realized that he was climbing on a slope conducting at the opening above, new hope filled his heart as the nine lights became brighter and brighter while he was approaching the exit, forgetful of what was chasing him, despite hearing the steps closer and closer, only that beacon of eight lights mattered, wait, for a moment Mordek thought that his eyes were tricking him, but now the lights were seven, no, six, with horror he realized what was happening.

Shamir was full of dread and awe as usual at seeing the display oh his master's powers, powers that he ardently desired for himself, that was why he obliged to all the abject requests and desires of the mage, to be a servant, for a day being master, such is the way of the world he thought.

But even so many times he was about to leave Mordek' service, and that night was almost one of them, for long minutes he saw fantastic figures appearing in the thick red fog still lingering inside the circle, and even if he had already witnessed more fantastic and terrifying things never he had been afraid as in that night, and he couldn't understand why.

While the apprentice was prey of his fears and doubts the lights of the first candelabra went off, as snuffed out by the hand of a ghost.

The apprentice looked paralyzed at the diminishing number of lights, eight, seven, six, five, was then that he finally regained his spirit and began to blow with all his might in the bone whistle engraved with mysterious signs that Mordek entrusted him with.

Woman%20with%20Scythe.jpg

Kairn and his new found companions found a cave where to take shelter for the night, two days had passed from their first encounter, the march had been mostly silent broken occasionally by the crass jokes of the fat Unnarr.

Kairn in exchange for their supplies had already made some minor fixes, tightening a lose hilt, clipping a broken mail ring or sharpening a knife.

The warmth of the fire lightening the rock walls seemed to invite confidence but still there was a tense atmosphere between the warriors and the young stranger in their midst, "I am tired of eating pemmican", said one of the Aesir in a bout of impatience.

"Bear a bit longer", told him Ramiras, "shouldn't be much that we will be there", he looked interrogatively at Ulfir, the Vanir was slowly chewing on a piece of dried meat, "Probably we will be there by the night of the second day with this rhythm of march", he answered without looking at anyone in particular.

"Never too soon", exclaimed Thurig that was on the entrance, gazing nervously in the night, "Come here and drink some beer instead of acting as a frightened child", roared Unnarr, that was following his own advice at the moment.

That exhortation fell on deaf ears as the Vanir became mortally pale, "Egads, Valdyr", he called with a faint voice, the others were to ask what was happening when an inhumane howl was heard, all of them cautiously approached the entrance to see its source.

A faint blue light could be seen in the distance, outlining the shape of a monstrous female figure that resembled more a beast than a woman, a cortege of foul demonic silhouettes, barely resembling known animals, was following her.

With an ample gesture of the arm Valdyr made the others step back, slowly he extracted a bone knife from his belt and carved a rune on the entrance wall of the cave, then silently he retreated towards the back, seeing that the Brythunian was ready to throw earth over the fire he put his hand over his shoulder, shacking his head he stopped him, then calmly seated by the side of the fire facing the entrance, holding the bone knife with both his hands, all the others followed his example, nervously looking around.

They didn't know how much time had passed until the unnatural tension that filled the air dissipated, with a seemingly effortless movement Valdyr raised up and stepped out of the cave, cautiously followed by the others, after giving a circular look at the surroundings he exclaimed, "It has passed."

"Do you still think that are old women stories?" lashed Thurig at Unnarr, liberating all the tension accumulated until that moment.

"Easy thurig", said the other Vanir which name was Arglar, "we are almost out of their territory, by tomorrow morning we wouldn't have to worry about them anymore."
"Still, they have never come this far", intervened Ulfir, "what could be the reason, maybe you know why Cimmerian", he said addressing Kairn, the implication was obvious, even the others began to look in his direction with an interrogative look on their faces.
"I don't know what you are talking about Vanir", was the angry response, the situation became tense once again, calmly Valdyr talked to both Kairn and Ulfir, "There is no need for this hostility, Kairn, is possible that those beasts have something to do with you?".
A flickering argentine image appeared from the memory recesses of the young Cimmerian to vanish almost immediately, "I have nothing to do with them", was his firm response, in that moment he could only recall confuse images of a battle, the clang of the blades, the flowing of the blood, and something else, he couldn't focus, like the sensation of a sharp pain, as if a burning needle was piercing his brain.

Valdyr continued to look at him with his colorless eyes without showing any emotion in his expression, after a moment he turned his back and began to going back to the cave, "I believe him, let's try to sleep for the rest of the night, they will not disturb us anymore."

One by one they all returned to the cave, some still hesitating, Kairn could feel their perplexity, and expecially Ulfir's hostility.

In an uneasy silence they laid in their improvised beds, Kairn wrapped in his bear fur was lying against the rock wall, his eyes fiery burning, but despite the tension animating him he fell in a deep slumber something that had never happened before in his long nights outside his village.

6267685_mandalacavebig640.jpg

And then he dreamed, and remembered, it was the winter solstice of his ninth birthday, his father had wake him up in the heart of the night, "Put your clothes on", said Dhurgal with an imperious tone, the young Kairn obediently quickly dressed himself without question, with a nod of the head his father invited him to follow him.
They walked outside, passing through the woods, with only the full moon to illuminate their way, then Dhurgal knelt on the ground, passing his hands around as searching for something under the dirt, he seemed to have found it when with a visible effort he lift a stone lid covered by soil, rotten wood and dead leaves, after having being opened the stone lid remained in place as father and son descended a flight of rock steps.

Now the circular mound inside of which they were was lit by torches secured on the walls, kairrn could notice that at the center stood something similar to a forge, "Kairn" called his father reclaiming his attention, with a severe expression he looked his son straight in the eyes, "tonight I will pass you the secrets of steel, as my father did with me, and his father did with him, secrets that you should only reveal to your own son one day, but don't be mistaken, to learn these secrets will be a life long achievement, however, tonight you have to take an important decision of your own accord, listen carefully."
The young kid nodded, intimidated by his father severity, "as blacksmiths we have the privilege to know the hidden meaning of the runes, something that is only prerogative of shamans, even if our knowledge is incomparably inferior to theirs,, still, such knowledge come as at a cost, tis is not a burden that should be took lightly, the full comprehension of some of the runes I will teach you requires to be bind by them, this is like a flailing morning star, which crushing force comes from the chain to which is attached to."

So101%5B0%5D.jpeg

Kairn was listening to his father enraptured, that was continuing, "if you will not choose this path I will not blame you, there is a lesser teaching where you will come to know the runes in their superficial meaning, still something far superior to your peers, even so this will require that you submit to some obligation, this is like an adorned blade which etching can widen the cuts and draw blood from an enemy but weakens the blade at the same time."

Dhurgal observed his son as he was listening, not letting any of the strong emotions inside of him to show, "finally, you can choose the bare steel, which strength depends only on your will and courage, this means that the secret of the runes will be forever a mystery to you."

The nine years old Kairn stared at his father with all the seriousness of which only little kids are capable while thinking what to choose.

A)Flailing Morning star.

B)Adorned Blade.

C)Bare Steel.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
C. The Riddle of Steel.

Thulsa Doom: What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength in your body, the desire in your heart, *I* gave you this!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom