Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Elfberserker

Liturgist
And here I thought that I resolved the tie.
:hmmm:

Flopping to BC

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ShyGuy seems to be some sort of compromise choice between FriendlyHero (version 3.0) and ColdCunningDude?

Well, it's what we do with him that matters in the end, I suppose.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I wanted my own Ted Bundy or Charles Manson, and I doubt they were ever shy...alas it will never be. :negative:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ShyGuy seems to be some sort of compromise choice between FriendlyHero (version 3.0) and ColdCunningDude?
Why does he have to be shy and not just weird? I want weird.

The reason for his lack of social interactions was never given. Hoping for the best here. :)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The choice pretty much stated that people make you uncomfortable, and not the other way around. Regardless of any weirdness, shyness is a part of the base character build now. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hope is good, but I'll give a warning that the beginning is rather slow, which some of you may have noticed. We won't be ramping up into fast-paced action anytime soon like we did for Epic or Legend.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
“I’ll… stay and keep watch out here,” you say, adjusting your spectacles nervously. If he wants to go ahead, it is none of your business. Should he get into trouble and need help… well, he would let out a yell at that time, wouldn’t he?

“Okay! I’m leaving this place to you!” shouts Sakimura, and he runs into the toilet.

“What are you doing barging into the girl’s toilet like that?” screams Uehara a second later. Sakimura backs out of the toilet hurriedly, apologizing profusely.

“Honestly, you are so indelicate! You could have just called out to me,” complains the girl as she steps out of the toilet. It doesn’t look like anything has happened to her. You freeze up when you see another person follow her out. It is a girl, perhaps around the age of ten or twelve, in a light red dress. Her hair is done up in a ponytail and tied back with a large white ribbon. Upon seeing you, she bows awkwardly in greeting. It takes you a while before you decide to return the greeting with a half-hearted, jerky nod of your head.

“We heard a little girl’s whispers,” explains Sakimura. “We thought… well…”

“Ghosts don’t exist,” says Uehara flatly. “I am tired of having to remind you constantly about that. Seriously! Treating little Mitsuki like a ghost… is there no end to your insensitivity?” It seems that Mitsuki is the little girl’s name.

“How did she get in here anyway?” Sakimura seems puzzled. You hadn’t checked the toilets before this, and neither had they, so the little girl could have been hiding in there for some time. Mitsuki doesn’t seem keen on answering anything at the moment. Her gaze remains pointed at the floor as she keeps mum.

“Anyway,” continues Uehara, “we should get moving. Mitsuki, can you come with us?”

The girl nods wordlessly.

“Well, now that’s settled,” sighs Sakimura, “let’s finally head for the lobby.” You follow them at a comfortable distance, hands tucked into your pockets. Did Uehara manage to go to the toilet? The thought passes your mind, but you keep it to yourself.

Reaching the nurse station, you descend the stairs. As you clear the final step, you see that the three of them have stopped. Turning towards you, Uehara asks, “Hey, we were on the second floor, right?”

“W-well, I think so?” you say uncertainly. The wards started with the number two, and you would think that usually denoted the level or floor where they were located. If that was the case, then the first floor, where the lobby was located, should be one level below… but it looks like this floor only contains more wards and clinics. There is a large, black number one painted on the wall next to you, so you are certain that this is the first floor. The staircase goes down yet another floor – maybe that goes to the basement, and the lobby is somewhere else on this level?

There is a loud crash from the level below you.

You jump, startled at the sudden noise.

“Let’s go check it out!” yells Sakimura, racing down to the floor below. Uehara runs after him, shouting at him to slow down. Only you and Mitsuki are left at the stairs. There is an awkward silence. “Shall we go too?” she asks timidly. You don’t know how to respond to her, and so you don’t. When she sees that you appear to have no intention of moving at all, the little girl takes a deep breath and goes off after Sakimura and Uehara. Not knowing what else to do, you shake your head and walk down the stairs a moment later. You do not really feel like exploring this level by yourself anyway.

You note a big G painted on the wall when you complete your descent. Would that be for ‘ground’? Somehow, you instinctively know that your guess is correct, but at the same time it feels wrong to be correct somehow. The stairway ends in a spacious corridor that leads into a grand hall a short distance later. The ceilings are high and vaulted, and expensive looking chandeliers hang from the top. There is a magnificent fountain, at the center of which is an elevated dais where a marble statue of a man is posed nobly. Green houseplants and comfortable couches are arrayed throughout the hall; it looks more like a first class hotel than a hospital. One end of the hall is constructed entirely from glass and steel; that is probably the front of the lobby. It is still dark outside, as you saw from the windows – too dark to make out anything at all. A gurney lies on its back in front of the glass doors, the wheels spinning in the air. That may have been the cause of the noise.

There are other people in the lobby too, besides Sakimura, Uehara and Mitsuki. They are talking loudly and animatedly – all of them appear to be pleased to find more people in the building. Frowning at the butterflies in your stomach, you find a quiet little corner to crouch in, where you would feel more comfortable.

It does not take long before Uehara notices you and comes over with a spring in her step. “Hey, you’re here! I was worried you’d run off on your own… you seem the sort,” she grins. “Looks like there’s more people here than just us. Isn’t that great?”

You nod, whether you mean to or not.

“So, it looks like there’s thirteen of us at the moment. That’s a nice number.”

“…I only count twelve,” you say.

“I’m including you!” Uehara replies, her eyebrows arched in surprise and hands on her hips. “That guy in the blue shirt over there-“ she points at a confident-looking young man who seems to be engaging Sakimura in conversation “-is trying to get everyone to introduce themselves so we can get to know each other better. After that, we’ll have a meeting about the situation we’re in.”

Finishing her explanation, she looks down at you. “So?”

You look down at the floor. “S-so?”

“So get up and join us!” Uehara grabs your hand.

The sensation of her fingers causes a spike of panic to ram through your heart. You snatch your hand away in shock and back away from the girl. Surprised by your reaction, she stares at you. “I-I-I’ll be there. You go on ahead,” you say, shaking your head.

“I see. Sorry for touching you without your permission.” Giving you an apologetic smile, she heads back towards the group.

You take a few deep breaths, trying to calm yourself. Once you think you are ready, you join them.

“Okay, it looks like everyone is here. Since I suggested this, I’ll introduce myself first,” says the young man that Uehara had pointed out. “My name is Tokigawa Kou, a third year medical student at Ikei Medical University. I was doing a training shift here at the time, so I know quite a lot about the layout of this hospital. We should talk about that and share any other information we have after the introductions.” He looks at the girl sitting by him, who is still playing with her phone. “Midori? Your phone will have to go back on the charger again if you keep doing that.”

“Ah, sorry!” She puts the phone away in a hurry. Patting down her white uniform, the girl waves at everyone with a brilliant smile. “Okuyama Midori, also a third year student at Ikei. I’m not studying to become a doctor, though, but a nurse. Like Kou, I was working here when it happened.”

“Who wants to go next?” asks Tokigawa hopefully.

“Alright, I’ll continue then!” Sakimura volunteers to introduce himself eagerly. You move away to avoid his elbows as he shoots up from his seat. Grinning, he gives everyone a mock salute. “Sakimura Yuuki, seventeen years old! I’m a second-year student at Saint Xavier Private Academy. My dream is to be a pilot, I’m in the karate club at school, and I was brought here when visiting a friend. This place is really weird, isn’t it?”

Uehara takes over without being prompted. Standing up, she says brightly, “I’m Uehara Shizuka, also seventeen and a second-year student at Saint Xavier Private Academy. As you can see, I’m just a normal high school girl! I came together with Sakimura to visit a friend and ended up here for some reason. It is a pleasure to meet all of you!”

As she sits down, Uehara pats Mitsuki’s shoulder encouragingly. “I-I’m… Iwano Mitsuki. I’m twelve this year,” Mitsuki says shyly, sitting with her head bowed. “I came here for treatment.”

“Treatment?” Tokigawa asks concernedly, his medical training kicking in. “Can you tell me more about it?”

Mitsuki shies away, a flustered expression coming over her face.

“Ah, I think I’ve seen you around before, Mitsuki!” Okuyama interjects cheerfully. Turning to Tokigawa, she says, in a more hushed voice, “Kou, we’ll discuss this with her afterwards.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” Tokigawa nods thoughtfully. “Let’s move on with the introductions.”

A mature-looking lady in a grey dress is the next to introduce herself. She bows politely, hands folded in front of her knees in a gesture that is smoothly practiced. “My name is Kayano Rina. My age… well, that is a secret,” she smiles. From her looks, you think she is about her early thirties, at the most. Her shoulder-length hair hair is straight and neat. There is only a hint of makeup about her cheeks and lips, while her nails are painted a light red. Besides that, she is rather plain to the eye – just like any normal office lady that you can find in any normal office building in Tokyo. “I work in administration, and I came here to visit my mother. She is supposed to be in ward 604, but something knocked me unconscious before I could open the door. When I came to, the ward was empty and everyone else was gone.”

“Thank you for the explanation, Ms. Kayano,” nods Tokigawa. “Next is… mister? How about you? Could you do us the pleasure of giving an introduction?” He gestures at a man near Kayano.

“Sakaki Okitsu,” sighs the disheveled man with a scruffy beard lounging on one of the benches behind her. He is wearing a dark green coat over a plain white T-shirt and tattered blue jeans. “I’m just an author. I was sitting in the lobby when-“ he gestures lazily with his hands “-this happened.”

“I see. How did it feel like when it happened?” asks Tokigawa.

“It was like… flipping a switch,” mutters Sakaki, and he pushes up his half-moon spectacles. “I’m sure all of you felt the same.”

Next is a stunningly beautiful young woman with dyed brown hair, wearing an elegant, expensive-looking yellow dress that flatters her figure. She looks around the lobby, a dismissive scowl on her face. When her piercing gaze passes by you, you can’t help but shrink back a little, averting your eyes. After the woman seems to be satisfied about something, she folds her arms and speaks. “Maeda. Maeda Nami.” Her voice is high and haughty, her accent classy – she emphasizes her family name, as if that is supposed to mean something. “My reason for being here is private, and I do not see a reason to share anything with any of you.”

The bespectacled, mild-looking man in a black business suit poised stiffly beside Maeda stands up and gives a formal bow. His hair is very, very neatly parted down the middle, you notice. You nervously try to smooth down your own hair for some reason. “Hello. I am Taketatsu Shinichi, CEO of Epicsoft. I came here with Miss Maeda.” He talks politely in a quiet monotone. The man doesn’t look a day over thirty despite introducing himself as a CEO. Walking around the lobby, Taketatsu begins handing out business cards. You take one reluctantly. The print on the card is crisp and the logo clear – it looks authentic enough. Epicsoft… the name sounds familiar to you. If your memory is to be trusted, it is one of the leading software and video-game makers in the country.

As you slip the card into your pocket, an extremely good-looking young man in a trendy purple sweatshirt leaps to his feet. “I’m ‘genius’!” he grins, posing flashily.

“I’m… sorry?” Tokigawa seems slightly confused, and asks him to repeat himself.

“Genius! You know, Juni-Es? Juni-S? Haven’t you heard of me?” smiles the unflappable young man. It’s pretty clear to you that the English word ‘genius’ and this man’s ‘Juni-S’ are pronounced differently, but you hold your tongue. Juni-S continues happily, “Well, maybe you haven’t heard of me yet, but my real name is Sawada Junichi. I’m an up-and-coming Tokyo celeb who’s been in a few variety shows so far, like Baribari Value and Prime Minister Ota and Music Champ…” He continues to rattle off a list of shows that he’s been in for a while, names that mean absolutely nothing to you.

“I-I see, Mr. Sawada. Thanks. How did you get here?” Tokigawa interrupts quickly, keen to get things moving.

Sawada gives all of you a wry smile. “I came to visit my girlfriend. She’s a bit sick,” he explains, and an expression of dread falls over his face. “Oh man, she’s going to get so mad at me for being late if I don’t get out of here soon!”

Tokigawa laughs awkwardly. “Alright. Thank you, Mr. Sawada. Okay, next we have…”

A tall, bearded middle-aged man with long, messy hair rises up – he towers over most of the others here and his well-worn brown trenchcoat makes him look even larger than he is. Plucking out the cigarette from his mouth, he lets out a puff of smoke and speaks in a deep baritone. “Mori Akio. Nice to meet you all. I was here to meet a friend, but it does not look like he’s around anymore.” He sits down gruffly without another word.

The last one to speak is a girl with long frazzled hair and coke-bottle glasses that obscure her face. Numerous beads and crystal necklaces adorn her gaudy, colourful sundress. “I am… I am… Amanozaki Touko. I… I am a fortune teller and psychic renowned throughout Akihabara! I came here… because I sensed something wrong…” Letting her quavering voice trail off, she makes a complicated gesture with her fingers and begins muttering a prayer.

“… okay! Thank you, Ms. Amanozaki! Finally… how about you?”

Tokigawa speaks, and you realize, all of a sudden, that every pair of eyes in the hall is focused on you. The lobby suddenly feels very cramped and small to you. You gulp. “M-me?”

“Yes. You’ve been quiet all this while. Would you mind sharing your name and a bit of your circumstances with us?”

"Yeah, dude. I've been wondering what to call you," grins Sakimura encouragingly.

Your gaze darts around nervously. Your palms are becoming sweaty, and you can feel your fingernails digging painfully into the palm of your hand as you wonder how to answer this question. All of them remember who they are and roughly how they came to be at the hospital. You don’t. If you claim that you don’t remember anything at all, you would be singling yourself out for attention from now on. Already you can see Maeda glaring at you, as if you are a waste of her time. Can you tell them the truth? Should you tell them the truth?

00:39

A. You confess that you don’t remember anything, not even your name. Even if you are forced to come under extra suspicion because of that, you don’t think you can handle the pressure of lying to so many people.

B. You make up something with the first name that comes to mind. They do have to call you something after all, and you wouldn’t need to make up a long story – some of them didn’t share much beyond their name anyway.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The lack of school students is disheartening. Not enough romantic interests to start a proper love triangle going. Guess we will have to come up with another reason to go postal.

The gypsy here looks like the most reasonable person. Let's try to get on her good side.

Meanwhile, I think we should make up a lie so that our activities would not command additional stares. Because I sincerely hope we will eventually engage in ones that do not like the extra attention. :M

B.

Last edited:

Zwist

Learned
Let's dig our own grave.

B. I am (insert name we read somewhere) and I am here because (generic or unbelievable story)

Jester

Arbiter
Hmm i see how both paths can backfire. A possibly increase amount of suspicion generated by odd action, but decrease pain and increase acceptance in short term. Plus should increase suck to be you points, giving empathic people interaction bonus. B on other hand is equal stand, but the pc dont look like material for poker facing it. If we blow our story all people will be less likely to trust us even in tight situation.

vote A

asxetos

Augur
Voting B. If we go with A, i think fingers will be pointed at us when things turn to shit later.

Kz3r0

Arcane
B.

I have noticed that we have:
Two students from the same school.
Two interns from the same hospital.
Two business people acquainted with each other.
A female psychic and a pop star.
A secretary type female and a male author.

Everyone is paired except us, and the scruffy guy, unless we are paired with the little girl, creepy.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
B
We must protect ourselves from additional stares, even thought it will come back biting our ass.
:hmmm:

Tigranes

Arcane
We may be shy, but we are not stupid. As Kz3r0 points out, everyone else is in pairs. We should at least try to mirror the Miyuki(?) girl's introduction to identify ourselves as a 'pair' - she at least is very vague as well - until we can know more. After all, who's to say we're the only fabricators right now?

B.

Nevill

Arcane
What exactly connects the pop-star and the psychic? Or Mitsuki and the trenchcoat guy, Mr. Mori? Or even Rina and Okitsu? :|

This 'pairs' theory is really only due to the odd number of inmates. Only half of these people know each other (or at least tell us about it). Who says we are the only odd one out?

That said, there probably are other people who are lying or not telling the whole truth about how they got involved.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom