Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Tigranes

Arcane
Interesting.

-This is the first time, isn't it? That the supernatural forces of this place has installed a large nonhuman object visible to all individuals, rather than disappearing/appearing human bodies or objects hallucinated by Shinoseki in moments of crisis? And, of course, the only other time we've seen any religious paraphernalia is with Amanozaki (who was in the lobby and is now gone). Does it mean Amanozaki had something to do with the shrine? But she can't summon statues into being. Or is it her in the bowl?
-The note is suspicious in all kinds of ways, from the blood to the lack of others... now, if he's a bad guy (or the note was forged by a bad guy), why bother? It's not like they didn't pull unexpected disappearances before. The only reasonable suggestion is (1) he is normal and really did go for help - but then, why no note about others?, (2) it is a lure to make us go outside.
-Even if the note isn't luring us outside, we know we won't be able to just walk out, so we'll find some new danger in the parking lot, I am sure.

The question is not which way is safe, but what kind of information we seek in risking danger. Do we want to go back to what we 'know' and try to find the necklace, or revisit the pool, anything to help us further triangulate? Should we try and find out what the statue is about? Or should we see if the parking lot / outside holds some other kind of answers?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The parking lot. Best place to find yourself in a horror story. :greatjob:
Exactly. Hey, bros, remember how there used to be a bunch of bodies in the lobby?
treave said:
There are perhaps half a dozen corpses scattered around the lobby.
I wonder where they all went... *glances at open lobby doors* :M

A

Last edited by a moderator:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
“There might be people still alive in here… they might need our help,” you suggest nervously. “I also can’t shake the feeling that there’s something we’ve missed…”

Uehara nods her head, agreeing with you. “Shinoseki-san is right. Those are my reasons too, and I think given the circumstances, they are as good as any.”

“It’s not like we know for sure the outside is any better,” muses Sakimura.

“True. The open invitation to leave is just too convenient…” says Maeda thoughtfully. “Shinichi, there is still something we can do here. We will be staying with them.”

Taketatsu’s face scrunches up in a mix of anger and disbelief when he hears Maeda’s words. “Is that how it is going to be, then?”

Maeda seems taken aback by the venomous tone in his voice, her strong façade faltering for once. “Shinichi, I-“

“No, don’t bother explaining it to me,” Taketatsu’s voice is frigid, dismissing Maeda’s concerns. “I am no longer in the mood to entertain your spoilt whims… I would not even be here today if you didn’t insist on being a busybody about my work. There is no more we. Continue playing at being friends, at pretending to help, at poking your nose into everything, if you want to. You suicidal fools can stay here and rot. I am not so eager to cast away a chance at survival.” Spinning on his heel, he turns around and strides purposefully towards the main doors.

“Kou, are we really going to stay here?” asks Okuyama worriedly. “I… I can’t stand being in this place anymore, with all the blood and death…”

Tokigawa frowns, looking at Taketatsu’s receding back and then at the rest of your group. He sighs, coming to a decision. “Alright, let’s do it this way. You have my number, right? Mori-san?”

Mori nods silently. Everyone here has their cellphones, but they have not been working since the night began.

“We’ll go along with Taketatsu-san and try to find a way out. Hopefully something changes and we’ll be able to call you once we’re outside. If we don’t… well… assume the worst. At least you’ll know not to go out this way,” explains Tokigawa.

“Are you sure about this?” Mori looks at him grimly.

“There is no choice. Sooner or later we will probably have to venture outside anyway. It’s better if we do it in an organized manner.” Tokigawa chuckles half-heartedly.

“Kou…” Okuyama clings onto his arm, an apologetic look on her face.

“It’s alright, Midori. We’ll be fine. I was just elucidating the worst case scenario.” Tokigawa puts on a brave smile and bows. “Farewell, everyone. With any luck, we will meet again soon.” Turning around, he and Okuyama chase after Taketatsu. They cross the threshold of the lobby, exiting the hospital building, and soon vanish into the darkness.

“No screaming yet,” you mutter to yourself after a few seconds have passed. “That is a good sign.”

“Shinoseki… you are a very creepy person, do you know that?” Maeda seems to have overheard you, and is frowning, her hands on her hips.

“Well,” sighs Mori. “Shinoseki does have a point there. What shall we do next? First, we should move away from this place,” - he casts a disgusted look at the bloody altar - “and discuss our next course of action.”

“The cafeteria would be a good spot,” suggests Sakimura.

“You’re hungry, aren’t you?” teases Uehara.

Sakimura blushes. “Oh, shut up.”

“That seems as good a place as any for the moment,” nods Mori. “Let’s go.”

The cafeteria is well-lit and appears to be untouched by the chaos. It is as quiet as the rest of the hospital, but whereas the silence there felt weighty and oppressive, here it is almost peaceful. It looks more akin to a five-star restaurant than a hospital cafeteria, and if the pamphlet’s claims are correct, that is exactly what it is. Your eyes are drawn to two cups laid out on one of the tables: it looks like someone has been here recently – perhaps Sakaki and the others, as he had mentioned the restaurant before you parted ways.

“We should gather some provisions before we venture into the rest of the hospital,” Mori calls out. “There is no telling when we can return here.”

The rest of the group fan out. You browse the shelves at the back of the hall, picking out a few wrapped sandwiches. A door at the back of the restaurant leads to the kitchen – you turn the knob, but find that it is locked. No luck there, you think. As your gaze darts around the place, you notice a few items lying around that might be of ‘use’.

02:15

A. You take the small but priceless Ming vase at the counter.

B. You take the set of pricey silver cutlery – spoon, fork and knife – wrapped in silk.

C. You take the expensive porcelain mug decorated garishly with the hospital’s logo.

D. You take the bottle of alcohol and the automatic lighter used for flambé cuisine.

E. You take nothing. You don’t want to weigh yourself down more than you already are.

You find that you have finished collecting what you want faster than the others. Looking around the room, you wonder if you should try and talk to them…

A. You approach Mori. The man has a gun – from its model, you think that he is quite likely a detective. If he is investigating a case here, or if he knows anything at all about what might be going on, you want to know about that.

B. You approach Maeda. She still seems to be slightly upset about Taketatsu leaving, but his parting words have made you suspicious. You want to find out what he meant by that, and why the two of them were here in the first place.

C. You approach Uehara. Something about that girl seems strange to you – you are starting to get a feeling that she might know more than she lets on. Of course, you cannot be certain if that hunch of yours is correct… so you will have to ask.

D. You approach Sakimura. He still seems to distrust you; you think the two of you should hash out your differences to avoid any future misunderstanding. You also mean to ask him about Uehara and what he knows of her.

E. You approach no one. Best to keep to yourself – your hand is still throbbing and you are in no mood for social interaction. You should probably save your energy for something more worthwhile.

Rex Feral

Prophet
First option D - we could spit alcohol over a lighter and create a flamethrower effect.

Second option B>A>anything but E

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave, is the alcohol strong enough to serve as a Molotov cocktail?

What exactly is the 'use' of Ming vase, porcelain mug or silver cutlery? I can't think of why could we need these things, though I am tempted to take something regardless. The RPG take-everything-that-isn't-nailed-down syndrome is strong with me. :)

D C>D.

I dig TOME's proposal to concentrate on one character in each ark. It is time we settled on a route, and it seems like Uehara has a certain connection to the supernatural and/or the history of the hospital that might lead us out of here.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, is the alcohol strong enough to serve as a Molotov cocktail?

The brandy's strong enough to burn by itself, but an actual Molotov cocktail that creates a sticky flame would require a few more materials to complete. Gasoline or kerosene, liquid detergent etc.

Nevill

Arcane
The brandy's strong enough to burn by itself, but an actual Molotov cocktail that creates a sticky flame would require a few more materials to complete. Gasoline or kerosene, liquid detergent etc.
But you can smash the bottle over a person's head, soak them in alcohol, and set them on fire, if need be, right?

An actual incendiary explosive would probably be a bit of an overkill.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Someone bring Lambchop here! We're currently out of Theseuses and Shulgis to test our Liam Neeson-ness on! This needs to be fixed by designating someone else as one.

Jester

Arbiter
B
B

What exactly is the 'use' of Ming vase, porcelain mug or silver cutlery? I can't think of why could we need these things
0941c3d93f1b9c0d95118200931404eb.jpg

Jester

Arbiter
I have not played Monkey Island either. :negative:

My shame knows no bounds.
Chill you cant play all worthwhile games out there. :roll:
Well if you wish you try you might check "the curse of monkey island" i recall it was quite nice. Looks like there is ScummVM program to make older point and click adventures run on new systems, but i didnt use it so cant tell you if it works. Hmm might even try to give Loom or goblins 3 a spin after exams.

B - Silver - it affects the undead in legends. Maybe it will here too.
C>B - She definitely knows something. The question is, is it a conscious knowledge at this point?

Nevill

Arcane
C>B - She definitely knows something. The question is, is it a conscious knowledge at this point?
She hears things no one else (but us) can, and she knew enough to run away with the amulet, alone, and survive (?) until midnight. That was a conscious act.

She might not know everything, but she looks like someone who understands what they are doing.

“I mean… it’s like… you know…. right, Dragon Quest? Isn’t it better to take everything you come across? You might find something that might be useful in the future, and don’t need to backtrack all the way here for it.”

Sakimura blinks. “That makes sense. Kinda.”

“No, it doesn’t,” snaps Uehara. “We’re not in some RPG!”
This Monkey Island reference made me think. Could it be that the Hospital scales to our level and to our expectations? We mentioned a computer game, and things started to go this way. What would a Ming vase even do in a hospital?

That's the third time I am reading about vases today, the Swords&Wizardry game mentioned the The Way of the Ming Vase as one of the guidelines for GMs.

Maybe I am just getting paranoid.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Only use of the alcohol could be treating wounds or maybe even torching a room down. Rest seem pointless unless they have mystic properties.

DE

She hears things no one else (but us) can, and she knew enough to run away with the amulet, alone, and survive (?) until midnight. That was a conscious act.

She might not know everything, but she looks like someone who understands what they are doing.
Now, now. There are always possibilities. What if she doesn't remember until certain events trigger her in a given night? What if she doesn't remember at all but is operating on instinct - where the instinct comes from is anyone's guess. We can hear things and make conscious actions, but our character is pretty clueless nonetheless. Our character forgets every time, but we remember. What if she is like us: another player in the game, if you will?

It would make a difference. If she isn't fully aware of her actions, talking to her might not be useful. Of course, the only way to find out is to actually talk to her and the reward for finding a potential ally (or at least someone else who opposes our enemy) is worth the risk, imho.
Could it be that the Hospital scales to our level and to our expectations?
:rpgcodex:
Well, I think treave already level scaled things in our favor due to the...handicaps of certain voting groups, but I think this was just a reference thrown in for our amusement.

Nevill

Arcane
Now, now. There are always possibilities. What if she doesn't remember until certain events trigger her in a given night? What if she doesn't remember at all but is operating on instinct - where the instinct comes from is anyone's guess. We can hear things and make conscious actions, but our character is pretty clueless nonetheless. Our character forgets every time, but we remember. What if she is like us: another player in the game, if you will?
That's an interesting proposition.

However, what are the chances that a person with familial ties to mikos would unknowingly come to the hospital where the spirit of her grandmother (?) is trapped, wielding the same amulet that belonged to the deceased about 60 years ago? If she is so opposed to supernatural, why does she have such an attachment to her talisman? Can't help but feel that she is here of her own free will and that she has at least some prior knowledge of this place.

That said, the mystery hinges on her behavior in the third night, which was somewhat different. She was distant and apathetic pretty much the moment we left for the new building, which contrasts with her usual boisterous and confident attitude. Can't exclude that something else has happened to affect her that way.

And if there is another player - which I don't believe there is, except for maybe the old man - I think we might want to make contact. As players, I mean. There is some stuff going on that Shino can't quite understand - the message on our phone, missing memories, and certain premonitions. If we share our experiences and if there are certain similarities between them, it might help Shinoseki and Uehara recognize each other as special snowflakes. Even if they don't, it might make it easier for another player to 'cooperate' with us.

Silver - it affects the undead in legends.
Also, about silver... all examples in literature I know of have silver being effective against werewolves and, very occasionally, vampires. Is there any sourse about its effects on spirits and/or other supernatural forces?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom