Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

asxetos

Augur
Voting A.
So the answer to the Director's riddle is the PIN of our phone.

ChumBucket

Augur
I am sure I am not the only who noticed this, but we lost an hour of time. If the time line is unchanged then everyone is down in the lobby arguing about whether or not this place is haunted. We won't be meeting anyone up at the roof. They will be exploring the service corridors, the connecting bridges, and the kitchens. Despite this information, we don't have enough info to make any sort of informed decision at this point.
I am feeling suicidal, so I will vote A

On a side note:
And brovo treave on constructing an lp where you can kill us mercilessly for being stupid while at the same time eliminating the butthurt rollback requests. :salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And brovo treave on constructing an lp where you can kill us mercilessly for being stupid while at the same time eliminating the butthurt rollback requests. :salute:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't take that into account at all. Doesn't mean there aren't any drawbacks for dying though.

Rex Feral

Prophet

I'd be lying if I said I didn't take that into account at all. Doesn't mean there aren't any drawbacks for dying though.

Apparently we lose our memory of the previous night for one. It's almost like getting drunk.

Though I must say it's a little unrealistic since us, the ones who make the character's choices, still remember and there might come some conflicts in role playing where we know something and our character doesn't.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Chalk it up to a gut feeling!

Our character already had moments when he remembered parts of his previous actions, like with the revolver that seemed familliar for some reason.

Last edited:

ChumBucket

Augur
Not surprising :lol:
I figured that on the dying part: We lost an hour didn't we? Or Maybe that is our "Life Time" and every time we die we are 1 hour closer to permadeath.
Also the respawns take advantage of our meta-gaming as well. In essence you created a Hell perfectly tailored for us.
:excellent:

Kayerts

Arcane
Apparently we lose our memory of the previous night for one. It's almost like getting drunk.

Though I must say it's a little unrealistic since us, the ones who make the character's choices, still remember and there might come some conflicts in role playing where we know something and our character doesn't.

That can be manipulated, too. Treave can alter the current incarnation's world such that our OOC memories from prior incarnations become false memories.

ChumBucket

Augur
Do you think our first attempt was literally the first?

Our character already had moments when he remembered parts of his previous actions, like with the revolver that seemed familiar for some reason.
As you had pointed out there were hints already placed, it is good literary foreshadowing. I agree with your assessment.

Nevill

Arcane
I just wanted to note that if we lost an hour each time we died, we would not start our adventure at 12:00 AM in our previous attempt, unless it was our first try, or unless we succeeded (?) every time before that.

ChumBucket

Augur
The method of our death could matter possibly... "The touch of the dead eats away at both body and mind" could mean that being killed by the "monster" of the story is when the clock counts down. There is also the more literal approach of that it means the more we die, the more flaky our perception of the story becomes (hence is why the clocks are showing a different time), as well as our or physical body deteriorating. Unfortunately it is a bit early in this story to tell.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Let's try to contact the man in the bed this time. Then we must find Uehara and hopefully we get to pick our personality again. Last one wan't creepy enough:decline:

A

Nevill

Arcane
There is also the more literal approach of that it means the more we die, the more flaky our perception of the story becomes.
Then there is the fully literal approach. It might mean a hint as to why exactly did we fail the last time. The interlude suggests so, at leats.

We let ourselves be touched by one of the monsters, and it led to the 'bruise' taking over our body by the end. This might be all there is to it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The entrance to the roof is – obviously – at the highest level of the building. According to the floor-plan, you would have to keep climbing the emergency staircase until you reached the sixth floor and from there gain entry to the rooftop. As you make your climb, you hear no voices or any indication at all that there is someone else besides you in this place. There was only that buzzer at ward 201, and it could easily be chalked up to a mechanical malfunction. It is a strange situation to be in.

As you ascend the final flight of stairs, you finally see another person before you. A big man in a trenchcoat is standing in front of the door to the roof. He turns around swiftly when he picks up on your arrival. You catch a look of mild surprise surfacing on his bearded face before it fades away into a stony glare. From the cautious way he holds himself, your presence seems to have put him on alert.

“H-hello?” you venture nervously, trying not to wilt under his intimidating gaze.

“You. Why are you here?” asks the man curtly.

“I just… wanted to take a breather on the rooftop.”

“Is that so?” He doesn’t seem to believe you.

That is so. But you merely nod to answer his question. The man remains silent for a while, thinking to himself while still standing in your way. Why would this be something anyone would need to think about, you wonder, but you have the sense to keep quiet. From his rough looks, this man seems to be trouble, and that is one thing you would like to avoid.

“Well… if it is a problem, I’m okay with not going up there…” you concede.

It looks like your words drive the man to a conclusion. Looking at you, he laughs self-deprecatingly in a friendly manner. This only makes you fear, however, that he is no more a friend to you than a shark is one to a minnow. “No, it’s not a problem at all. Sorry, if I scared you, kid, but I’m a bit on edge thanks to this hospital. I didn’t see anyone else while I made my way up here, and it just felt strange.”

“Y-yeah… me too.”

“I have no problem with you going to the roof, but it’s locked.” He stands aside, showing you the sturdy door and the padlock in question. There is a hand-written notice pasted on the door.

After the incident last week, the roof of the main building is temporarily off-limits to patients. To prevent anymore unwanted cases of wandering, the door has been locked. Staff who need to use the roof may apply for permission on a case-by-case basis and obtain the key from the general affairs office on the 6th floor.

“Well, there you have it,” shrugs the man, lines creasing his weathered face. There does not seem to be any interest in looking for the key on his part. He trots past you and down the stairs, humming an old 70s pop song as he goes.

The key can be found in the general affairs office on the sixth floor, it seems. Perhaps it is worth a try.

00:08

A. You head for the general affairs office to look for the key. It’s the quickest and easiest way to get to the roof. It would just be weird and an indicator of a tendency to overthink things if you start considering other methods to open the door before even trying the key.

B. The lock is attached to a hasp drilled into the frame and the door. You are not confident that you are able to kick this door down – that man earlier would have a better chance – but perhaps you can find a hammer or similar instrument on the sixth floor to break the lock.

C. For some reason, memories of lockpicking appear in your mind. Were you a thief!? That dismaying thought concerns you while you search the floor below for something you can use. This is a hospital; you might be able to fashion a pick from clamps and forceps.

D. You try to follow the man. Something about him makes you nervous – you get the feeling that he is a dangerous man, but he is also the only other person you have seen so far. The door can wait.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
File: Rooftop Key Notice

After the incident last week, the roof of the main building is temporarily off-limits to patients. To prevent anymore unwanted cases of wandering, the door has been locked. Staff who need to use the roof may apply for permission on a case-by-case basis and obtain the key from the general affairs office on the 6th floor.

Signed,
Administration
Ikei Medical University Hospital

The hand-writing is small and neat, but the signature is a mess. The logo of the hospital is stamped at the lower right-hand corner, together with the date: 21st October 2014.

Nevill

Arcane
Familiar feelings are the best. Especially if they are the ones of a thief. Gives this whole business with Mori a new dimension.

Let's avoid being boring.

Besides, overthinking things is good. We have read Sartre and Descartes, we are not some pleb simpleton like Sakimura.

On the other hand, I would not be against trying to create a time paradox... unless all of these worlds exist independently from one another and only overlap from time to time. It would be worth to check the theory, at least.

C>D.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom