Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Kz3r0

Arcane
I have a sensation that most of them lied.
And for the display of supherhuman strength there are two concurrent possibilities, this is not real in a material sense so all depends on people's attachment to their physical bodies and past experiences, in this way someone acquainted with firearms will be more likely to rely on them even if this is some kind of spiritual limbo, consequently someone used to rely on his muscular strenght or that has some kind of mystical approach to it, like a karateka, can display seemingly inhumane feats, on a side note this could mean that Sakimura killed Uehara, it's also possible that someone more adept to esoterism can act more freely in this environment.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So Maeda knows Shinohara Seiji. Or we might be ourselves Shinohara Seiji, though I don't really trust delusional dying words of women.
It is implied that we look like him, yes. Mori suspected Shinohara family, and was highly suspicious of us. People looked at us to see if we recognize the name of the director. Maeda and Mori wondered if they ever met us before, and now there is that nickname.

That we named ourselves after him does not look like a coincidence either.

I'd say we've got enough clues on that matter, at least.

I have a sensation that most of them lied.
I very much doubt so. Some personalities, like Sakimura or Sawada just can't lie convincingly. But if they were speaking the truth about how they think they ended here, why would we think the others lied?

ScubaV

Prophet
I'm surprised how quickly things went from spooky mystery to LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR!

asxetos

Augur
Welp, that was a fast screw-up, and i dont even know where we screwed up.
Hobo-Rider time :D

Rex Feral

Prophet
On further loops we should get the option to kill ourselves at any choice just so that we can restart the loop. :lol:

oscar

Arcane
A shame we didn't choose to explore upwards or use the passcode

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't know. I'm feeling quite apathetic towards this particular CYOA.

So the protagonist died? Woop.

What now? Does he suddenly come alive as a head in a jar?

Could probably be amusing, at least for a while. I'm interested in where treave is taking this thing, but I don't have any investment in the main character. At least yet.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Interlude: A time and place that does not exist.

Track: cellosuite

The man stirred the tea carefully, fastidiously avoiding the possibility of any stains on his silk white gloves. He took a small sip: green tea and honeyed milk, with extract of chicken and mushroom? A strange blend, one that he is more than willing to put aside for now. The continuing avant-garde experimentation in tea brewing on the part of the staff may be going out of control, to put it mildly. He would have to have some words with them. Leaning back in the comfortable arm-chair, he picked up the book that he had been reading, and flipped through the pages briskly – almost in time with the strains of the cello gently filling the air – until he reached the point where he had left off.

The land of the dead and the land of the living. Since time immemorial our country and its culture has been steeped in spiritual beliefs. Just like the microorganisms that science have found to be everywhere yet unseen to the naked eye, so too, are the souls of our ancestors residing in a world that is around us yet imperceptible to us. Just like the scientists who use tools such as microscopes to see and interact with the world of the miniscule, so too, do we have tools that we can use to interact with the domain of the dead. It may come as a surprise to the unlearned, modern layman, but throughout our lives we make use of these tools practically every year – the Obon festival is one such tool that allows us to commune with those no longer in the world of the living. Beginning from the myth of Izanagi descending into the underworld to seek out Izanami, as a people we have always had a fascination on communication with the dead. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that throughout the centuries thousands and thousands of rituals and their variants, each specific to their own community and designed to appease or otherwise interact with the deceased, have evolved in our country.

It was an interesting belief. If he could talk to the dead, what would he ask them? Who would he want to meet? The man looked into the red flames crackling in the fireplace and saw no answer there – granted, they were just flames and embers, and he was not an oracle or soothsayer, divining answers from nonsensical patterns of chaos. He turned to his guest, and spoke.

“What do you think, Shinoseki Adachi?”

You shook your head confusedly, blinking under the bright lights of the chandelier. “I… what is this place? Who are you? Why am I here?” You realized, almost belatedly after you ask the questions, that they seemed to be the standard, unimaginative queries raised by any confused person finding himself in a strange situation with no idea of how they got there, be it due to a blow to the back of the head or fifty bottles of the finest sake.

“That was not the question I asked.” The man smiled, bringing the cup of tea almost to his lips before he remembered what it contained. With a look of slight annoyance he set the cup back down. “Still, I forget my manners. Let me answer your questions. This is a time and place that does not exist. Nothing that happens here will eventually matter to you at all. In fact, feel free to dismiss me as a mere figment of imagination, or the voice of your subconscious. I am no one important. As to why you are here… you are here because you failed.”

“I…” You dimly recalled a grotesque dream, that of your head being set on the body of a little doll, flailing wooden limbs dancing to the whims of its mistress.

“Failed. Would you like to know why?”

A tentative nod was the man’s answer. Who wouldn’t want to know why they failed? It would be easier on you if you knew what you failed at, but you could tell that no such convenient explanation would be forthcoming.

The man’s eyes sparkled. His smile widened ever so slightly as his gloved hands straightened the cravat tucked under his shirt and vest. Clearing his throat with impeccable manners, he settled his hands on his lap politely.

“As you wish. You see…”

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
00:00

A faraway lullaby, soothing yet foreboding.

A distant bell tinkles.

It is cold. Your cheek is resting against a hard, uncomfortable surface. For a moment, your brain turns this way and that, attempting to get you your proper orientation. It takes a while before you realize that you are lying down, presumably on a floor. Your awareness of your limbs begins to return, piece by piece. Hands outstretched. Legs splayed. They are all still there, you think groggily. Probably. Together with it comes the awareness of a headache plaguing the inside of your skull; a throbbing, pulsating and dull pain that seems to emanate outwards from the deepest core of your mind.

Your brows furrow at the unpleasant sensation. Your eyelids shift. You blink twice. The headache subsides, slowly receding within your head. Then, you open your eyes fully.

All you see before you is a fuzzy mess of shapes. You squint instinctively. The image resolves slightly into a still fuzzy – but comprehensible – picture. Yes, you wear glasses, don’t you? Still laid out on the ground, you reach out, waving your hand around the floor until your fingers find the thin metal frames that you thought you saw. Just by placing them on, your vision transforms dramatically. Everything comes into sharp focus. These appear to fit you perfectly… so they must be yours. With the spectacles you manage to see just exactly where you are.

Squeaky clean white tiles on the floor. Crisply made beds covered with sheets of light green and blue, separated with privacy curtains. Cartoonish, cute signs reminding you to wash your hands frequently. A small flatscreen TV mounted on the far wall, its screen dark. A clock hanging above it – the short hand is pointing at one while the long hand is pointing at twelve. Fluorescent lights are set into the ceiling, bathing the room in a harsh, white light.

Then there is the ever-present smell of disinfectant, sharp and sterile.

You appear to be in a hospital.

No matter how clean the tiles look from your vantage point on the floor, it is probably a good idea to get up from it just a little bit quicker. There is only one door to the ward, and one large window set into the wall right opposite it. It is probably there so that the patients are granted the luxury of enjoying the outside view even if they are too unwell to venture out, but the only source of light right now is coming from the lights in the ceiling. It seems to be night outside. Pressing your nose against the cool glass, you can make out the glow of the street lamps nearby and the lights of the city in the distance. There does not seem to be any traffic about, but that is not surprising at this hour.

You take hold of the handle on the window, turn it, and push.

Nothing happens.

It does not move. You wonder if the window is stuck.

It does not budge even a fraction no matter how much force you apply, pushing and pulling. You might as well be exerting yourself against a brick wall, for all the good you do. You tap the glass pane – the sound weirdly flat in the utter silence of the room – and turn away, slightly frustrated at your wasted effort. Looking around, your eyes are drawn to the clock again. It has not moved since you last saw it… from the lack of a ticking noise, it might not be moving at all.

A sudden thought strikes you. Patting yourself down, you feel the unmistakable thin slab of a cellphone in your pocket, one that had gone unnoticed in the confusion of your awakening. You pull it out quickly and power the phone up. The display lights up and a password screen appears, big white numbers declaring that the time is currently 01:00 am. Easy, you should know the password to your phone by heart… if it is yours.

It’s…

Your thumb hovers hesitantly over the touch display.

Strangely enough, you can’t seem to remember the numbers at the moment.

The wallpaper, too, does not seem familiar to you, now that you think about it… but you also do not recall the wallpaper that you had. In fact… did you ever own this model of phone?

Well, when in doubt, it is simple. You key in the first numbers that come to mind.

The phone unlocks. You are surprised - you did not really expect it to work, to be honest. Noting that you have no signal bar on the phone, you look through the contacts for any clue as to why you are here.

It is empty. In fact, there is nothing inside the phone besides a single, mysterious message from an unknown number.

The touch of the dead eats away at both body and mind.

You are not sure what the creepy message means. Still, you have no contacts to call - the phone isn't of much use to you at the moment. You're not even sure it is yours anyway. You pocket the phone and look around.

There does not seem to be anything else of interest in the ward; nothing to explain how you got here. The pillows and beds appear normal, for a hospital – which is to say that they are uncomfortable enough that you would not like to bring one home, but not enough so that you would prefer to have woken up on the cold hard floor instead. The panels above the beds appear to be active; small red lights are lit, and you have a feeling that if you press the call button it would ring the buzzer at the nearby nurse station. It would probably be more polite to go out and find one, though, rather than calling them in to explain matters.

Gripping the handle, you push open the door tentatively and poke your head out.

The hallway is well lit but there is no one in sight. Here, as inside the ward, the sharp scent of disinfectant nestles in your nostrils.

“Hello?” you call out. Your voice echoes down the empty corridors without a reply. This is strange. Even in an empty ward in the wee hours, there should be at least a nurse or two walking around, if only to keep an eye on things. A placard above the room you just left indicates that it is Ward 201. The plates indicate the names of the patients, but none of them are familiar to you... not that you seem to remember anyone’s name.. A floor-plan on the wall directly opposite you tells you that the nurse station is just ahead. If there is someone there and they did not hear you calling, perhaps they are sleeping on the job. It would not be a surprise; at least, it would be preferable to the alternative.

You round the corner.

There is no one on duty – each of the three swivel chairs are empty and facing you. You suddenly realize that the hospital feels very cold… though you have no way to tell whether it is the lack of human warmth or excessive air-conditioning. Still perplexed at the situation, you walk behind the counter of the nurse station. There are files and folders lined neatly inside their racks, containing forms and templates. Some are empty, but most have been filled up with patient information. None of it mean anything to you - flicking through the papers, you note that most of the patients on this floor appear to be young adults, but nothing else strikes you as being particularly out of the ordinary.

Even if there is no signal on your mobile phone, at least there are wired phones that you can use. You reach for the receiver.

A piercing, terrible ringing goes off.

You jump slightly, startled. Though you think it is coming from the phone at first, you quickly realize that is not the case. Casting your gaze around wildly, you find that a large red light is blinking quickly to attract your attention. Besides it is a number: 201. A buzzer has just been pressed in the empty room that you left.

A. Turn back and investigate room 201. Someone might have snuck in there while you went to the nurse station. If there is anyone there, they might be able to shed some light on this situation.

B. Chalk it up to a mechanical fault, try to ignore the buzzer, and pick up the phone. You try and call one of the emergency service numbers pasted on the desk.

C. Leave this floor. Something feels wrong. You head for the main stairs and descend to the ground floor. You might be able to exit the hospital from there.

D. Leave this floor. Something feels wrong. You head for the rooftop. The air in this hospital feels wrong, and strangely, the windows can't be opened. You need some fresh air to think better.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The touch of the dead eats away at both body and mind.
And today, ladies and gentlemen, we learn that you do not sit still and hope that the corpses that crawl to you are imaginary. :salute:

Let's try and see what is on the roof this time. Besides Mori, I mean. If we are even in the same time-space continuum.

D.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
treave, what year is now at the hospital? Does the phone show a date?

Meanwhile...
Blood-stained note said:
On the first night, the Witch gave the Maiden the gift of her eyes, so that she could see.

On the second night, the Witch gave the Maiden the gift of her voice, so that she could speak.

Chapter List:
The First Night
The Second Night
Is that a hint? Or just coincidence?

Nevill

Arcane
Don't get the hopes up, though. The door to the roof was locked during the previous night, and even Mori could not open it.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
D

Might as well check the roof now.
I wonder does the number 1234 from very first chapter have any meaning to clues we might to find or perhaps I am thinking too much about it.

Jester

Arbiter
Would be very interesting if reset didnt erase our previous versions. Explaining what went with basement and talk with killer parts. Actually thats nice concept imagine if we would need to avoid other "us" to. Awesome.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Waaaait... A - meet other US.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom