Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seiji got hospitalized at Kaimei or Ikei, I am unsure about the timeline
The year was 2002 or 2004, ten to twelve years from now. Kaimei was closed in 1979 and demolished later, while Ikei was rebuilt in 2010. So no known connection to the Juunimon, though no one could have prevented him from being transported to the location.

The first time we arrived here, we've seen a ghost tended to by a woman on high heels. That's where we found a note with our name on it. But there was no hospital there in 2002, so the memory probably relates to the events of 2012.

Your guess as to what happened is as good as mine. He could be cloned, or 'infused with a soul', or suffering from amnesia, or anything in-between.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The year was 2002 or 2004, ten to twelve years from now. Kaimei was closed in 1979 and demolished later, while Ikei was rebuilt in 2010.

Your guess as to what happened is as good as mine. He could be cloned, or 'infused with a soul', or suffered from amnesia, or anything in-between.
Except that the artificial soul was Seiji's project, the most likely scenario is that Juuzo thried the ritual to bring Seiji back and something or someone else answered the call instead, could be this related to dismenbered bodies in black bags?
If i remember correctly Mori uspected the Shinohara family of that, if the black bags incident is around the same time of Seiji first death we have our answer.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, I won't be answering too many questions that aren't directly related to the current choice. :M
Here is how I imagine Ikei basement.
rei.jpg

Since you already made a statement about the Director... :lol:

Also, none of this would have happened if you didn't spoil the identity of the 'neighbour'! :argh:

If i remember correctly Mori uspected the Shinohara family of that, if the black bags incident is around the same time of Seiji first death we have our answer.
The one we know of, with Nakayama family, happened in 1976.

There were others, but we have not heard the details.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Hmm, the fist black bags incident is in 1976, do we know of others?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm going to be pretty busy for the rest of the week, so the update will most likely come next week.

Nevill

Arcane
Just when things started to get interesting. :(

Ah, well, just let us resume pimping practice with Na-chan from where we left off, and it will all be worth it.

Incidentally, how come Ei isn't 'oh-ho, oh-ho'-ing her? :decline: I feel sorry for the poor girl who is friendzoned by Adachi and ignored by his pet perverted sidekick.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Incidentally, how come Ei isn't 'oh-ho, oh-ho'-ing her? :decline: I feel sorry for the poor girl who is friendzoned by Adachi and ignored by his pet perverted sidekick.

She has the attention span of a kitten and could only muster up enough interest for a single comment once the old man started his long, boring story.

Nevill

Arcane
She has the attention span of a kitten and could only muster up enough interest for a single comment once the old man started his long, boring story.
Story, what story? I'm sorry, I just oogled the only 10/10 hottie in the area and wasn't paying attention. Or at least I would, if I could finally have control of our character. :argh:

Disappointment, thy name is Shinoseki Adachi. :negative: Also, if Ei was bored to hear the jii-san talk, shouldn't it have prompted her interest in more fun matters instead? Eh, they are both useless. :decline:

On a more serious note, I hope Ei would encourage him to be more bold by constantly testing the limits of his shyness. He needs that, badly.

Nevill

Arcane
Sadly, that role is already taken:
Why? Why not. Do it. It is a bad idea. It is a foolish idea. It is an illogical idea. Do it, you coward. The voices whisper madly in your mind.
And we'd totally do it. Eventually. But Ei's part is to slowly erode our sanity until we start considering it.

We are making great strides, though. From fainting from a thought of lifting a shirt in a girl's presence to walking around the village stark naked. We can still make Adachi into a decent person. :obviously:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Four Families

“Can you tell me more about the Tendous, Maedas, Shinoharas, and your own family? Have these families been in Yomiki Village for long?”

“Are you sure you want to hear the elder talk about this?” A note of warning has crept into Yukina’s voice. She seems hesitant about this topic.

Maeda glares at you and says, “I really don’t think-“

“I am glad you asked me that question, boy!” laughs Kimura suddenly, slapping his hand on the table. The clay tea cups shake and rattle.

“Gramps, maybe I should go and help the old lady…”

Maeda gets up to go, but the old man stops her with a sharp frown.

“Sit down!” he barks. “History is an important lesson that young ones often fail to appreciate! If we do not remember our past, how can we march forth into our future? The lack of respect for our traditions! Preposterous!”

“The history of blah blah blah blah blah, blah!” chatters Ei, her fingers opening and closing to mime Kimura’s flapping mouth.

You keep your face carefully impassive, staring blankly ahead.

Maeda laughs.

“What is so funny?” growls Kimura.

“No, nothing. I’m sorry.” She shakes her head and adopts a more proper posture, suitably chastened.

“Now,” Kimura sighs heavily, looking at each of you in turn, “If you have asked me about our history, you are obliged to listen. Backs straight! Eyes and ears on me! Now…” He launches into his story-telling mode, weaving a tale that begins at the end of the Warring States era which then winds backwards and forwards through time in an alarming way as the names Tendou, Maeda, Shinohara or Kimura do not appear at all. You can only hope that this ends with information that is actually useful to you…

“…and so my ancestor charged the oni bravely, sword in hand. He slashed and cut out the bearded demon’s eye, thus avenging the death of the scion of Fujiwara, and banished the oni back into the dark mountains from whence it came…”

By the end of it, the sun is beginning to set, Ei is rolling on the tatamis over and over in boredom, Yukina is nodding – whether she is nodding off, or nodding along to the old man’s story, you are uncertain – and Maeda is frozen in her sitting position, a polite smile carved on her unmoving face while her eyes tell you that no one is at home. You are probably the only one that paid some attention. It had been a long, meandering tale, making it hard for you to actually remember the relevant information sandwiched between long biographies of this illustrious ancestor or that, and whichever evil demon or foul spirit they slew.

Still, you had managed to compile a short history of the four families in your head. It seems that each of them performed a certain role in Yomiki, and had continued to do so for thousands of years...

First was the Tendou clan. They were the first settlers recorded in the area, possibly predating the formation of the Yamato kingdom. There were old myths that claimed that the Tendous had been here since the Jomon era, but Kimura claims those were but myths: for him, actual history began with the reign of Emperor Jimmu, and he would not hear of anything otherwise. Being the first people here, they naturally took up their roles as guardians of the land and protectors of its spirits. The Tendou clan bore a strong connection with the sacred tree; it was said to have been but a sapling in a bare field – the only green in an expanse of grey – when they arrived. They tended to it, cared for it, and it grew mighty and strong. The spirit of the tree became the gatekeeper to the underworld, and it was through the spirit’s blessing that the Tendou first made contact with the Maiden of the Dead.

Next came the Shinohara and the Maeda, branch families of the Tendou main line that split off about three hundred years after the Juunimon blossomed. The Shinohara were a clan of artisans. The Maiden of the Dead instructed them in the art of creating vessels of the gods: jinki, sacred tools used in the rituals of the underworld. The Maeda, on the other hand, were a clan of travelling diviners, who had their roots in Yomiki and their branches throughout the land. Though the Witch and the Maiden would usually descend into the vessels of the Tendou, there have been rare instances of their incarnation in vessels of the branch families, from time to time.

Together, the three families served as the pillars of the village: the Tendou were custodians of the all-important tree and the gatekeepers of the passage to the underworld, where the Maiden of the Dead resided. The Maeda would travel the land, spreading the prophetic word of the dead as passed on by the Tendou through the Ritual of Seeing, and through them more believers would come to the village in worship. The jinki created by the Shinohara were essential to both the Tendou and the Maeda in their duties, without which the rituals would be meaningless gestures.

The Kimura came later, shortly after the Genpei War sparked by the untimely death of Fujiwara no Michinaga’s grandson due to the machinations of a bloodthirsty demonic spirit. They acquitted themselves well by confronting and banishing the demon – or so Kimura claimed – and when the war ended, the scant survivors of the Hatakeyama clan, who had been all but annihilated bloodily by the demon’s parting curse in retaliation, found themselves a new home in Yomiki. There, they renamed themselves Kimura in honor of their adoptive village, and served as warrior guardians to the three founding families, protecting the priests in their shrine, the artisans in their workshop, and the blind diviners in their travels.

Through the execution of these duties, the village prospered. Time, however, changes all things. As time passed, the old traditions took on a new form, and so did the roles of the families begin to shift. The artisans began applying their skill to more mundane craft. The diviners, having established a network throughout the country, became the middle-man for Shinohara crafts and gradually turned into a family of merchants. The priests retreated around their tree, insistent on retaining their connection with the dead even if the diviners would abandon it. In their seclusion, the warriors became the new chiefs of the village, retiring their swords for the mantle of leadership.

Having finished his story, the old man gets up and yawns. He is clearly tired from all that talking, even though he might be loathe to admit it. "Well, that is about the gist of it. So, if you are done here... it is getting late. Go on, now." Grumpily and impatiently, he herds you and Yukina back to the front yard. Maeda walks with you, deep in thought. If the Maedas of her time are related to the Maedas of this village, then this could have been part of her family history that she never knew. Before sending you off, Kimura peers at you through wrinkled eyes and says, "Wait, are you going to be spending the night in Yukina-chan's house?"

You don't see anywhere else you can go, and nod.

A sly old grin flashes across Kimura's face briefly. Turning away, he begins muttering to himself, just loud enough for you to overhear. "Oh, I wish there would be new blood coming into our village. All of the young people are leaving for the city... Wouldn't it be nice? But this is just the ramblings of an old man." As he returns to his room, Maeda and Yukina both heave a sigh of relief at the same time.

"I thought that would never end!" exclaims Maeda in a hushed whisper. "I hope it was worth it, Shinoseki."

"I'm not sure yet," you admit. There are still things you need to think about.

Maeda pauses, looking closely at you. "You are Shinoseki... right? There's something a bit different about you."

You turn away, flushing in embarassment. "Actually, I have been wondering, Maeda-san... how did you get here?" you ask, changing the subject and broaching a new one.

Maeda throws a glance at Yukina, who is looking at the both of you with keen interest. "Not now," she says quietly. "Maybe when we get some time alone... and I don't mean it that way, stop that blushing right now!"

"His cheeks aren't the only thing getting filled with blood, I bet," giggles Ei naughtily.

"Shinoseki, just where did you pick up this strange girl?" asks Maeda exasperatedly. "Are you.... are you some sort of pedophile?"

"Oh, you can see me?" Ei smiles happily, and curtseys. "Nice to meet you, woman. I am Shinoseki's... yes, you could call me his guardian angel, and no one else here can see me, just so you know." Sure, tell her about it the first chance you get, you think with disgruntlement.

Maeda nods carefully, and turns back to you. Putting her hands on her hips, she talks to you in that familiar, commanding tone. "Anyway, since you are here, it's time to visit the Sakaguchi mansion. That house must have a lot more information pertinent to our current situation... let's not waste any more time in this backwater village, with its people that don't like talking until they do, and then it's a whole long lecture that barely has anything useful."

"Sorry to interrupt the both of you, Shinoseki-san and Nami-san," Yukina interjects politely, stepping in between you and Maeda. "The hour is getting rather late. Shinoseki-san, I believe... you promised to help me with something?"

A. The Sakaguchi mansion is more important. You accompany Maeda to the house to investigate the leads there.

B. You made a promise to Yukina and you should keep it. You accompany Yukina to carry her groceries.

C. You would rather continue investigating the village more even though the day is drawing to a close.
1. You approach the Tendou shrine.
2. You try to locate the Shinohara house.
3. You question random villagers in the streets.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Damn, we fell for it, hook, line and sinker. :negative:

Ah, well, at least the old man is happy.

Kz3r0

Arcane
“The history of blah blah blah blah blah, blah!” chatters Ei, her fingers opening and closing to mime Kimura’s flapping mouth.

You keep your face carefully impassive, staring blankly ahead.

Maeda laughs.
So she can see Ei.

Nevill

Arcane
Poor Yukina will never make it in time to pick up those veggies. :( What have we done?!

So she can see Ei.
The teasing possibilities are endless.

“…and so my ancestor charged the oni bravely, sword in hand. He slashed and cut out the bearded demon’s eye, thus avenging the death of the scion of Fujiwara, and banished the oni back into the dark mountains from whence it came…”
I think 'Seiji' has the right idea. The wrongdoings of these people can only be cleansed by nuclear fire.

Burn the heretics! Slaughter them by dozens! No man, woman or child is innocent! :fight::fight::fight:

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
it was through the spirit’s blessing that the Tendou first made contact with the Maiden of the Dead.
This begs the question if any girl not of the Tendou family can become the Maiden, then is Mitsuki a Tendou or not?
Damn, we fell for it, hook, line and sinker. :negative:

Ah, well, at least the old man is happy.

C was the good choice, better not try to get informations with our speech skills and probably every direct approach would fail, letting him babbling will let us know things he wouldn't say otherwise.
For that fateful night I fear we have to figure out on our own.

Nevill

Arcane
C was the good choice, better not try to get informations with our speech skills and probably every direct approach would fail
Well, we've lost a day and certain opportunities that we could have had otherwise.

I don't know how long we are allowed to be here, so it's too early to tell if we missed on anything substantial or not.

Nevill

Arcane
Somehow I felt that would lead us straight to the epilogue where we train for a hundred years and defeat the legions of the dead in an epic lightsaber battle. :M

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Shinohara were a clan of artisans. The Maiden of the Dead instructed them in the art of creating vessels of the gods: jinki
From fetishes, made of freshly cutted human body parts perhaps(?), to Quantum Computers.
This means that arguing if this is a simulation or not has become pointless, the Quantum Experiment was just a modern version of a Jinki, magick takes priority here.
Though the Witch and the Maiden would usually descend into the vessels of the Tendou, there have been rare instances of their incarnation in vessels of the branch families, from time to time.
It's a given the ritual can be only performed by the Tendou, Shinohara and Maeda.
This would explain why the Tendou girls come in pairs of twins, one becomes the witch and completes the ritual, the other becomes the Maiden and disappears from this world(?).
So why Juuzo is using Mitsuki?
For all we know she is not a Tendou and most importantly doesn't have a twin.
There, they renamed themselves Kimura in honor of their adoptive village, and served as warrior guardians to the three founding families, protecting the priests in their shrine, the artisans in their workshop, and the blind diviners in their travels.
Way to miss the obvious, now we know why SaKimura tags along with Uehara and why he was picked up for the ritual

Nevill

Arcane
Shinoseki Adachi made a promise and he keeps his promises, no matter what. :rpgcodex:

B.

Besides, if he doesn't, there probably will be another mass murder case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom