Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Let's talk about group politics for a second, since we chose not to become a loner. Most of this stuff is fairly obvious, but it would be nice to have it all in one place and classified.

Also, I feel the need to rant to pass the time until next update. :cool:

Our group can be split into several categories/teams with some overlap between them.

- Team 'Expert' - Shinoseki, Shinohara, Uehara. These guys are aware of what is going on, of how the hospital functions, and of our greater goals/objectives. The rest of them do not remember anything, and do not know about the labyrinth and how the journey to its center can supposedly help with getting out of here. While the 'Experts' do not know everything, they know enough to assume leadership - or as the case might be, assist a token 'leader' - to further our common cause. It helps that currently all of them have a single objective in mind - to find Seika, but it would aid us tremendously if there would be no dissent on what to do after that and we could continue working together.

For that, learning more about Shinohara and keeping Uehara aware of our plans as long as we don't have a reason to hide them (and so far I think we don't) is essential. Does she even know that we need to exorcize the Nurse to proceed to the next level? We need her to spill the beans on what she hasn't told us yet.

On the enemy side, I think only Juuzo can claim to have knowledge of a greater picture. Perhaps now that we have ousted Kayano, she will join him as well, though it is much more likely that he will only accept her as a pawn. It is important not to divide our 'leadership group' further - we have enough people working against us as it is.

- Team 'Mages' (aka Harem) - Shinoseki, Shinohara, Uehara, Amanozaki, Ei, Kayano. Those who know about supernatural and can fight it or use it to their advantage. These people have authority over normals, their opinions carry weight, and they are indispensable for the survival of the group. Their words and actions can bolster morale or cause panic, and thus should be considered carefully - something to keep in mind if we at any point decide to materialize Ei in a human body.

While people tend to follow them - simply because they don't know any better - only a few of them are actually fit to lead. Ei could not care less about anyone, and Amanozaki simply knows too little to make informed decisions.

There may be merit in bringing Amanozaki up to speed and elevating her to team 'Expert'. We can not afford discord among the mages - people start choosing sides based on whether they like what they hear, and the group cohesion ceases to exist. We have seen it happen with Kayano.

Of our opposition, I think we may safely assume that all plants are 'mages' to a degree, just to be able to do their job. Except for Taketatsu, the guy is clueless - but even he might know something about soul attunement since he is a project lead.

- Team 'School kids' - self-explanatory. There are existing ties of friendship between the members of this group, not to mention the whole love dodecahedron thing going on. Whatever affects one will affect the rest.

- Team 'Marked' - self-explanatory.

- Team 'Kayano supporters' - the maid whose name we still don't know, Murano, and Kayano herself. While the existence of this team is debatable, the recent happenings taught me to be a bit more paranoid. These are people who sided with Kayano on the leadership issue and accused us of being a spirit. I don't think Murano did it out of malice - the guy was obvioulsly played - but the jury is still out on the maid. We don't know how 'Marked' became marked, either. For the moment I feel that it would be best to regard her actions and opinions with extreme suspicion.

- Unaligned - Sawada. These people just go with the flow or pursue their own agendas nobody but them share. Mori and Sakaki would potentially fall here, though these two might form their own 'investigation' team.

Something about Sawada makes me uneasy. The man is either a superb pretender, or completely spineless. That nobody so far turned out to be what they appeared to be does not fill me with confidence, and neither does the fact that he is an actor. His simple-mindedness is of such scale it just makes people wonder if he is for real. I can't shake off the feeling that he is fooling everyone with his appearance, but I can't think of a possible motive.

As we - hopefully - find more survivors, there will be new categories added as ties between the people are formed.

So, what does it mean for us?

It means we should consider this whole kitchen while making decisions. What we do with Murano will affect Kozaka, his friends, and by extension, Uehara and ourselves. What we do with Amanozaki might have a far reaching consequences for the whole group. Even though most of them have little choice but to follow us (we have shown ourselves to be capable to survive the ghosts here, but can they?), it would help us if they followed us willingly, or that at least the right people would support us when a decision needs to be made.

Personally, I am in favor of forming a Counsil of Mages :obviously: and having them help us with crowd control - an ability that we do not naturally have.

Well, it is pretty obvious what can we offer to the group. But why do we bother? What does the group do for us? I can think of several reasons:
- Safety in numbers. They have already saved our hide when we jumped out of the door, just as we have saved theirs.
- It keeps Uehara in check. She won't do anything that would endanger her friends and as long as we keep the group's interests in mind she will not cross us. This is important as she is one of the key players on team 'Expert'.
- It keeps us grounded. If the hospital runs on malice I suppose that mutual support and positive emotions grant at least some measure of resistance to its influences... in theory. So far they proved to be a rather fragmented, bickering bunch, but one can always hope, right?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Blood Bind

As the others try to hold off the crazed Murano, you make your move. You bite into your thumb, breaking the skin, and draw the string that Amanozaki has offered right across the wound. The white silk soon turns red, soaked with your blood. “…May my offering please the Great Mother Izanagi. May my blood become the chains of the dead plains. Thus shall the eight myriad sinners be bound in the Great Mother’s womb to await rebirth…” When you complete the incantation, the red string begins to twist and turn upon itself, until it is less than a half its length but almost three times as thick. The shimenawa is ready.

“Uehara-san. Catch.”

You toss one end of the rope at Uehara, who catches it with a surprised look. “We’ll use this to tie him up.” Her face passes through a quick series of expressions: surprise, fear, anger, before finally settling on mild irritation. Uehara nods reluctantly – it looks like she doesn’t need any convincing.

“Ready,” you say, leaning forward.

“Go!” Uehara darts ahead. You follow, almost a half step behind. You are forced to quicken your pace in order to catch up. “Out of the way!” she yells.

“W-wait, Uehara!” Sakimura cries out as Uehara pushes him aside. Murano shouts out a torrent of incomprehensible syllables as the red rope strikes him right in the chest. You pass on the left of him, and Uehara on the right. As if the two of you are pushing an invisible wall, Murano is dragged along with your run, pressed backwards by the rope.

“Shinoseki. Catch!”

Uehara tosses her end of the rope back at you, making it curl around Murano’s body. Realizing what she wants to do, you repeat her action, tossing your part of the rope towards her. The two ends cross. As they pass each other, they slide together smoothly, somehow becoming entangled into a knot. You grasp the rope at the same time Uehara does, on the other side of the security guard. As one, the two of you pull on the rope. The knot tightens, and Murano screams. He stumbles backwards but does not fall – his torso is rigid and frozen, as are his arms. “No overtime it is good morning already, yes?” he babbles. “Murano is over the time hospital today.” Unable to free himself, Murano begins to shake forwards and backwards. He bangs his head against the invisible barrier around him, making a dry thud over and over again. It doesn’t look like binding Murano has snapped him out of it, but you suppose at least now he isn’t going to get in the way.

Nice work, Acchan. Though I wish you’d have called me to do that rope-binding thing…

Ei complains as you shut the book, returning it into its own pocket dimension. You give Uehara an awkward bow of thanks, but she merely folds her arms and looks at the struggling Murano disinterestedly. Kozaka and Shiba approach her, as does Sakimura. It looks like they have something to talk about. Again, you note Kozaka looking uncomfortable as Shiba starts to stand closer to Sakimura – he begins to tug at his collar and purposely look away from her, and invariably, his glance is drawn to the imprisoned Murano.

“Wow, that was cool, Leader!” Sawada smiles happily as he comes up to you, clearly relieved that the situation seems to be temporarily resolved. “I wasn’t wrong after all, you are the right person to lead us out of here. Sorry about earlier, man.”

Now you trust me?”

“Well, seeing as your main accuser has fled, abandoning us…” He shrugs, giving you a brilliantly good-looking grin. “I think it’s pretty clear as to who our real saviour is. Isn’t that right?” asks Sawada, raising his voice. You hear grudging voices of consent. Even the maid girl does not say anything. Noticing that you are looking at her, Sawada leans in close and whispers. “Kayano did something. We were believing her pretty easily without asking any real questions. It just made sense at the time. I’m not sure if it’s magic, but… well, just be careful of that maid, Leader. She was the first one Kayano spoke to when we reached the lobby. Don’t worry. I’ll keep an eye on her for you too.”

“Shinoseki. Shinoseki.” You feel a tap on your shoulder, interrupting your conversation with Sawada. Turning around, you see Amanozaki holding up a map. It appears to be a map of the hospital, although the words seem to be a bit jumbled.

“That… should be useful. Where did you get the map?”

“I made this profound discovery while I was hiding behind the reception counter over there, in a frame tha t had fallen to the floor, ” she says proudly. “My spiritual senses have never failed me, and here is the proof!”

Amanozaki passes the map to you. As you pore over it, you note that the words seem to be reversed in order. With some difficulty, you manage to make out a few places that might give you the information you need. Whether or not this map is reliable is still up in the air, but it is all you have to go on for now.

“So, what are we going to do now?” It looks like Uehara has finished talking with her friends. They seem to have accepted the situation. Everyone begins to gather around you: it seems that your credentials as a leader has been bolstered a bit. No one offers any apology for how they treated you on Kayano’s words, however. It seems like they would like the whole thing to be forgotten, and to be put behind them.

You tell them about the Nurse, and about how putting her to rest will open up a way, though you leave out the part where your murderous alter-ego was the one that gave you the suggestion, and that he certainly wasn’t planning to escape.

They begin to nod, as if your words make sense.

Thud. Thud.

“I suppose exorcising the ghost is the way to go, yeah,” nods Sakimura. He looks uneasily at Murano, still bashing his head futilely against the thin air. Thud.

Holding up the map, you say, “Amanozaki-san found this for us. I think there are a few places that we can investigate.”

A. The administration office on the second floor. You may be able to find the nurse's employment files here, as well as more details about her career.

B. The records room in the basement. You may be able to find information about the patients she has looked after, or if she was once a patient here.

C. The director's office on the top floor. The director is likely inextricably linked to all this. It is the most dangerous location, yet potentially the most useful.

A. You bring Murano along with you. You can't leave him behind.

B. You leave Murano here. It's too risky for you and the others.

A. You bring up Kayano and their betrayal before you leave. You want to sort this out and make sure that they are all loyal to you before going anywhere.

B. You don't mention Kayano. You need to focus on getting the information, and potentially irritating them further at this point may be counter-productive.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Usually in these stories it's the perpetrator's personal space or belongings that contain the information about their transgressions. They can't help themselves but to keep some memento of their crimes. I believe that Maeda Keiji never forgot and his actions tugged at what was left of his consciousness and sanity until there was nothing - he went out with a bang in a manner that only a completely demented person would.

I think that we will find a diary or some other evidence that he kept close to himself. We know that he had trouble letting go of this thing. He even ordered one of his employees to carry a key to the elevator room near the roof at all times - potentially to protect himself from a temptation of going there. The Hidetaka notes we found about the elevator room and the basement were all connected to the pool ghost. So it is a surefire way to find out how she died, first-hand.

Which is something that worries me a bit. We probably could do this alone, but we have a lot of dead weight with us.

We should also bear in mind that the cause of death alone is not enough. We need to put the spirit to rest. Normally some unfulfilled emotions or unfinished deeds are what keeps the spirit agitated and prevents them from passing to the afterlife. To quelch her hatred, we need something positive, something equally strong. We might have to remind her of something she loved in life and how her current condition negatively affects it. Perhaps we need to know more about her patients or her personal life, first.

One thing we know is that she valued the patients over her career, so that is where I want to start.

I don't think we can afford to bring Murano with us. We don't know how long the spell would hold. But I feel bad about leaving him here, either. He is a perfect meal for the ghosts and a perfect ghost material himself, complete with feelings of resentment he would have should we leave him for dead. Not sure about him.

These 'thuds' don't do much for party morale, though. And if we leave him, it is better not to question the others so that they would be less inclined to question us instead.

As for the rest of them... there is no way around it, they are not loyal. They follow us out of necessity more than anything. I would love to call them out on nominating us the leader allegedly to be able to organize better and then disobeying us, but it looks like the situuation is resolved for now and it just isn't very productive. They know they fucked up, they know they have a better chance of survival if they stick to us, but they also still do not trust us. I don't think it can be helped.

Though it would be nice to comment that next time they disagree with us, they are free to leave and start their own group with blackjack instead of trying to trap us.

B>A B? B

Her face passes through a quick series of expressions: surprise, fear, anger, before finally settling on mild irritation.
A perfect comeuppance. :lol:

I wonder what she was afraid of, though. Man, there is no pleasing this girl, is there?

You tell them about the Nurse, and about how putting her to rest will open up a way, though you leave out the part where your murderous alter-ego was the one that gave you the suggestion, and that he certainly wasn’t planning to escape.
Wait, how do we know he is murderous? Well, more murderous than us, at any rate? :?

treave, when Ei said that she knew Murano's condition was trouble and there was no saving him, she never elaborated. Does she know what it is, or doesn't she?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wait, how do we know he is murderous? Well, more murderous than us, at any rate? :?

He wanted to murder Kayano, didn't he? While you're so nice that you would rather stay imprisoned than harm her.

treave, when Ei said that she knew Murano's condition was trouble and there was no saving him, she never elaborated. Does she know what it is, or doesn't she?

She knows what it is.

Nevill

Arcane
He wanted to murder Kayano, didn't he? While you're so nice that you would rather stay imprisoned than harm her.
We did not only want, but actually succeeded in murdering Taketatsu.

...we probably don't want to mention that either, do we?

Seiji does not look too aggressive to me, all the more so since the sentiment about Kayano was 'not before the witnesses'.

She knows what it is.
Well, can she tell us?

Just to be sure, we are paying more and more attention to what Kozaka is doing. Are we going to bring it up at some point, or are we deciding to concentrate on the mission and react to thing as they happen around us?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, can she tell us?

Ei said:
They're becoming dead. It's pretty fatal.

Just to be sure, we are paying more and more attention to what Kozaka is doing. Are we going to bring it up, or are we deciding to concentrate on the mission and react to thing as they happen around us?

You'll be given the choice to poke your nose into it if you want to.

Nevill

Arcane
Ei said:
They're becoming dead. It's pretty fatal.
What is the source of the infection? Is it contagious? Can the spread be stopped/delayed?

Is it the same as the mark we received at the end of the first chapter (if we describe the symptoms)?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What is the source of the infection? Is it contagious? Can the spread be stopped/delayed?

Is it the same as the mark we received at the end of the first chapter (if we describe the symptoms)?
It's not an infection.

Nevill

Arcane
My prediction about Murano is that the guy is doomed either way, it's just that we chose not to kill him ourselves. We have no method of curing him, and only a faint hope that ending 'Nurse Curse' might do something to improve his condition. So the choice what to do with him is, to me, irrelevant, as far as his life is concerned.

He will either die when we - inevitably - have to run from the spirits bound to the basement/offices/whatever other key locations the hospital has, or, if left here, he will be found by Kayano or our other detractors and put into their service much as Taketatsu was during the third night.
Suddenly, Taketatsu screams, clawing at his face. The black under his skin is writhing horribly. “Please help me!” he shrieks, crawling towards the old man. “D-Do what you did before! Save me!” His nails are digging and scrabbling into his cheeks, tearing open bloody wounds that stain his fingers red. “It’s… I can feel it inside! It! Them! I… Help! Please!” babbles Taketatsu insanely.
Don't know which one is worse, to be honest.

It is a possibility, though, that our enemies may know a way to cure or delay the condition, and that we could learn it from them.

Hmmm... If Ei devours mage's soul, does she inherit their powers or knowledge? :roll:

Nevill

Arcane
Came across this little beauty on the interwebz. Thought I'd share.

Hope our ending will be at least half as epic. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom