Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yep, he's my kinda character. :M

And a harem is useless if you never sleep with them. Shino sr has the game to make a new harem any time.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He has the game, but does he have a motive? Unlike us, he seems to get his boners from manipulating the fabric of reality.

He wants to exorcize ghosts and dick over his grandda. I just want Amanozaki to take off her glasses. Looks like we have different priorities in life. :cool:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

He's got the track record though with Seika and Maeda. Shino Jr. just got his last love interest to kill herself. And mastery of the universe just might yield an unlimited supply of poon - think of that? Immortality and an unlimited supply of poon and possibly ghost and or zombie poon.

Besides, codex priorities usually have nothing to do with poon and currently seem to be Mori as a life partner and getting into that sweet, sweet friend zone with Uehara. Color me unimpressed. :decline:

Nevill

Arcane
Shino Jr. just got his last love interest to kill herself.
Wasn't our love interest. The slut was all over Shino Sr. and ignored our advances. She got what she deserved.

If we can't have a girl, no one will. :mad:

And mastery of the universe just might yield an unlimited supply of poon - think of that? Immortality and an unlimited supply of poon and possibly ghost and or zombie poon.
It is a staple of the genre/medium that a 'poster child for social awkwardness' attracts ALL the poon, regardless of their dead or living status. I just hope treave stays true to the setting's inspirations. :salute:

Besides, codex priorities usually have nothing to do with poon and currently seem to be Mori as a life partner
The 'Dex love may be harsh, but it is all-encompassing. :hug:

and getting into that sweet, sweet friend zone with Uehara.
Ever thought we could strike a deal between the two Shinos? We lure them to the friend zone with our Omega Rabbit charms, and then our Nii-san gets his game on. We then reap the benefits together.

I am willing to feed him the souls of their ex-es and would-bes like Sakimura for experimentation purposes in exchange.

P.S. I can totally see Seiji rolling his eyes as we dance around the subject with our new passion, groaning 'Oh, FFS, just kiss her already!' and assuming control to get it over with and get back to the more important things. :lol:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It is a staple of the genre/medium that a 'poster child for social awkwardness' attracts ALL the poon, regardless of their dead or living status. I just hope treave stays true to the setting's inspirations. :salute:

Hm, I thought the staple of the genre was that the quiet, shy poster child for social awkwardness goes crazy first and starts the killing...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Darkening of the Guard

You stop moving, pausing just before you reach through the barrier, just before you can reach Kayano’s neck. Through gritted teeth, you growl, “What do you think you are doing?” A drop of sweat rolls down your cheek as the struggle within intensifies. Kayano does not wait around to see which of you emerges in control: she breaks into a run, heading for the corridor beyond the lobby.

“Uh, Kayano-san, where are you going?” Sawada steps in front of her with an oblivious smile, his hand raised in a friendly greeting. She grabs his fingers, twists his wrist, and brings him down tumbling to the floor with a smooth hip throw. Sawada yelps in pain, rubbing his back. “What did you do that for?” he shouts in indignation, but Kayano is already fleeing down the hallways without as much as a single look behind her.

Still unable to move, you say frustratedly, “You’re an idiot. If she-“ The sentence is cut off as you finally regain full control. You heave a sigh of relief just as Uehara comes up to you.

“What did you say to Kayano-san?”

“I… just…” Caught off guard, you are unable to think of anything to say. The truth? Or should you try to spin a lie?

“You must have said something to make her run like that. You seemed… different. Were you?”

“That does not matter one bit,” Amanozaki speaks up, clearly annoyed. “That woman was full of evil intent… it is better that she is away from us. Come, let us liberate Shinoseki from his dark prison.”

“Not before I can be certain that it is the Shinoseki that we know,” frowns Uehara, still wary.

Sakimura comes over upon seeing Uehara, his eyes full of suspicion, and begins to support her questioning. “I saw Kayano-san run away. What did you say… or do, Shinoseki-san?” The others begin to gather around you, and it looks like they are not any more keen to let you out of the barrier than they were before.

Taking a deep breath, you begin to explain yourself.

“No!” Before you can even start, you are interrupted by a sudden shout. It is Murano, who had remained by himself, in his own corner. The guard scratches at his forehead absentmindedly. “No! No. No… Yes. Yes! No...” He shakes his head and begins mumbling unintelligibly.

“M-Murano-san?” Sawada asks tentatively.

“Yes?” Murano responds somewhat normally, rocking his head back and forth slowly.

“Well, I was just wondering if you were feeling okay?”

“Yes? Good morning? My name is Murano, good morning? Sir?” Murano turns his head this way and that, and you see that the mark has spread across his face, down his lips, into his eyes. Black swirls swim across his skin as his eyeballs dart in different, random directions. “You are not supposed to be here. Good morning. The hospital is closed. Sir. Yes?” He gets up from the chair, his arms dangling limply.

“The hospital is the hospital is closed!” Murano shrieks, and rushes at the closest person – the maid. She screams, but is unable to fall back in time before Murano falls upon her, his fists raining down upon her head. She is floored by his attack. Before the guard can continue his assault, Sakimura runs in and – putting his karate to good use – sends him flying with a strong kick.

“Murano-san, what are you doing?” he yells.

“My name is good morning, the hospital is Murano,” babbles Murano incoherently as he rights himself. This time, he springs at Sakimura, waving his arms around violently. Sakimura is ready for him. Letting out a yell, he parries Murano’s wild swings and gives him a straight punch right in the chest. The security guard is hurled back again, throwing his arms out in a futile effort to stop his fall. He lands awkwardly. There is a loud crack as his wrist snaps.

The girls scream.

Sawada lets out an “Ooooh!” as he cringes.

“M-Murano-san!” shouts out Sakimura. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to do that.”

“The Murano is closed.” He gets up again, ignoring the broken wrist. The digits of that hand wriggle around independently, as if each finger is a living thing with its own mind. Then, he begins to weep, all the while advancing upon a frozen Sakimura.

“Damn it, we have no choice!” curses Uehara as she kneels down by the circular barrier surrounding you. “I hope I don’t regret this… Amanozaki-san!”

“Ah, y-yes,” Amanozaki quickly takes up position opposite Uehara. They begin to chant an incantation while passing their hands across the faint, glowing lines, disrupting them. The barrier sparks, and then fades away. You are free.

Uehara looks up at you. She seems to be saying ‘Take care of this thing’ with her eyes.

Doesn’t she know how to say please?

Ei. What are our options?

Kill him and put his soul to better use, of course!

And?

You could restrain him, but isn’t that really risky and just a waste of time? There’s no saving him.

A. Murano is not a spirit – at least, not yet. You gather the strings that once formed the barrier that imprisoned you, and soak them in your blood. You will use it to bind Murano physically with your spell.

B. You restrain Murano physically. There is no need to cast any spells when it is simpler for you to just tie him up normally and shove him under a couch. You do not feel like showing all of your cards to the people here at the moment.

C. It is too bad for Murano, but Ei is right. You can’t save him, but with his help you can become more able to save the others. Sakimura is too soft, so you will have to do it. You kill Murano, free his spirit from his flesh, and then use it to unlock more of Ei’s seals.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, we can't kill Murano either. It will start a chain of panic, since Kozaka is similarly affected. If we kill one, the other will think the same fate awaits him as well.

With Kayano fleeing, the only suspicious person that remains in our group is the maid. She might be a part of the same group. She appeared to us during the third night together with Murano, and when Kayano picked Murano to be our leader - potentially with ulterior motives - the maid supported her.

It is possible that the mark was put by some of them, too. It is strange that only two of us have got it.

So if there is anyone to be wary of should we continue casting spells, it's her. We can't really hide anything from Seiji, and the guy probably knows much more than we do anyway, so it's not like this knowledge getting out should affect us too much.

A, I suppose.

I have to say, Seiji took our defiance much better than I suspected. He only called us an idiot. Perhaps we are, and Kayano will definitely make things worse for us, but for the moment we have finally succeeded in winning over at least some members of our group to the point where they see our continued leadership/patronage directly beneficial. Uehara even agreed to work with us as long as we are the 'Shinoseki they know'.

Also, finally, the two of them seem to get along. Magic is friendship! :love:

BTW, 'Darkening'? :lol: That's a 'cultural appropriation' right there! :outrage:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
A. The madness of hospital will prove our previous warnings right. This is a chance to re-establish leadership over the group and get on with exploring the Murano.

Nevill

Arcane
An interesting idea to consider.

We know the numbers 12 and 13 carry a special meaning in this CYOA. 12 people have gone missing in 2012 (it is unknown whether or not a 13th was with them), 12 nights, Death being associated with 13 in Tarot, etc etc.

By the way, how likely is it that a purification disaster - with civilian casualties - that happened 'over a decade ago', according to Uehara, actually has happened 12 years ago and may be somehow related to the events that separated Maeda and Seiji and the grievous injury he sustained?

As an aside - damn, how come we have him in our head and are never trying to ask him, like, anything? The communication skills of the cast are abysmal to the point it becomes almost funny. How come the most information that we know about him came from Uehara - and so is inherently warped through her perception of him? You'd think a manipulative guy like him might have considered that we would be less inclined to resist his suggestions if he articulated his points better.

But I digress. So, we suppose that 12 people here are the 'right' number of sacrifices or whatever was the purpose of bringing them here. But we also know that there are more than 12 people. And we also know that some of them may be plants, 'volunteers' who think themselves to be participants in some experiment.

Taketatsu, for example, places a great emphasys on a number of people:
“We’re all going to die. Everyone else is already dead. But I won’t die here. I’ll sacrifice what is needed. You understand, right? There are thirteen of us. Of course you understand.”
He thinks it is important that there are 13 and that this somehow gives him a chance to survive.

When we first arrived, we thought that the people we saw are the only ones in the hospital. So when we discovered Mori's note, we naturally assumed that they are the intended victims.

But now we know that Kayano thinks she does not belong here and in fact she thought herself to be on a mission until we shook her confidence. And I bet Taketatsu thinks something along those lines, too - there is no way that a project lead like him would not have said a word about it if he didn't initially think he was in no danger. As long as the plants know that there are enough people here to sacrifice, they think themselves to be observers to the tragedy that takes place here, and thus 'outside' of this whole mess. And indeed, we learned that there were two extra characters trapped here - Kozaka and Shiba. These do look like 'intended victims' alright, and Seiji acknowledged as much.

So we have a group of sacrifices and we have a group of spies/plants/scientists sent here to study/control/oversee them.

Taketatsu, Kayano, Juuzo, and potentially the maid are enemies and not a part of the 'original dozen'.

Mori, Sakaki, Maeda, Sawada, Uehara, Sakimura, Kozaka, Shiba, Amanozaki, Tokigawa, Okuyama are eleven people that probably are. Mitsuki and us are unknown variables, but Kayano did not express surprise at our presence, so we might be. On the other hand, we might not count as a 'person', it depends on who we are, really. So if we add just Mitsuki, it's twelve people.

Well, what about Murano? It does not look like he knows anything about what is happening, and Kayano does nothing to help his condition and simply uses him as a cover to assume leadership over our group. It looks like he is disposable, meant to be lost here, and thus an 'intended victim' as well. So with him we have 13 people, and that is 1 sacrifice too many.

Doesn't that mean, then, that there is another plant hiding in our midst? Perhaps the doctor is Theseus, after all, or maybe the nurse is? Unless Mitsuki isn't a person or something.

Just a bit of Shulgi-searching, really. :roll:

Also, if 12 people are supposed to die here, does it mean that the maximum amount of people we can save is limited to the number of 'plants', i.e. extra characters? So 5 people in total.
You probably cannot save everyone. You will have to choose who you would like to be saved, and do so carefully. You cannot afford to waste time on people who cannot be rescued.
Pick an choose, indeed.

Of course, it may not work exactly like that, so there might be hope for a better outcome.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
But we are able to telepathically communicate our thoughts when he was in control. Are you saying that he is not?

How come we were able to receive 'powerful thoughts' and hear his voice before?

Baltika9

Arcane
It occured to me, but that would have been fundamentally stupid of him since he requires our cooperation to do anything.
What if he just doesn't like us?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom