Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In most cultures, souls are judged for their sins in life after the body dies, not before. :M
Right, and in most cultures it isn't mortals that are doing the judgement.

If there is a way to consecrate the whole place and get the souls to whatever afterlife they should normally find themselves in, I am all for it.

I don't feel pity or outrage for the builder's shade or for the ornery's. To feel anything for them they must be individuals. Intead, they are just extensions of the hospital, tools for the powers at work here made to hunt the living. I suppose it might be a different story if there was a way to cleanse these spirits of malice and 'free' them, but Ei is 'not that kind of book'.

I'm open to argument on the tone.
Well, she is described as being stubborn and defiant, so I don't know how far an agressive tone would take us, considering she is not very stable and has a knife. She can simply snap.

She is afraid and distrustful of us. She expects some kind of trickery. Being seductive and alluring is probably not very wise. I doubt she is in the mood to flirt with us right now.

Then again, being gentle and understanding might not work for the same reasons. That is not the impession she has of us. But it might catch her off-guard, and if we manage to convince her in our sincerity, it might point to us being a different person from the one she thinks we are.

Being rational and professional is probably what she expects. She might think of us as a cold-blooded bastard. But then again, should we play to her expectations, or should we change them?

2B to me sounds like the safest bet.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
If not wanting to be a mortal was all it took to become a god, I bet there would have been many more gods running around.

Regardless, what are our options?

Nevill

Arcane
Your options are in the update? Not sure what you mean.
Well, you said that one can become a god, and I asked how does one do it.

I am only familiar with western religions/pantheons, after all. Greek, Roman, Slavic, Norse and that's probably it.

In Greek mythology you more often than not had to have one of the actual gods in your lineage and be given a permission from an existing pantheon to become one of the Apotheothenai. Alternatively, you could marry a god, like Ariadne.

No idea what eastern religions have to say on the matter.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The term Kami is applied in the first place to the various deities of Heaven and Earth who are mentioned in the ancient records as well as to their spirits which reside in the shrines where they are worshipped. Moreover, not only human beings, but birds, beasts, plants and trees, seas and mountains, and all other things whatsoever which deserve to be dreaded and revered for the extraordinary and pre-eminent powers which they possess, are called Kami. They need not be eminent for surpassing nobleness, goodness, or serviceableness alone. Malignant and uncanny beings are also called Kami if only they are the objects of general dread.

Among Kami who are human beings I need hardly mention first of all the successive Mikados — with reverence be it spoken. Then there have been numerous examples of divine human beings, both in ancient and modern times, who, although not accepted by the nation generally, are treated as gods, in a single province, village, or family.

Amongst Kami who are not human beings I need hardly mention Thunder [in Japanese Naru kami or the Sounding God]. There are also the Dragon, the Echo [called in Japanese Ko-dama or the Tree Spirit], and the Fox, who are Kami by reason of their uncanny and fearful natures. The term Kami is applied in the Nihongi and Manyoshuu to the tiger and wolf. Izanagi gave to the fruit of the peach and to the jewels round his neck names which implied that they were Kami.

There are many cases of seas and mountains being called Kami. It is not their spirits which are meant. The word was applied directly to the seas or mountains themselves as being very awful things.

A deity is a compound conception, which combines the ideas of great power and sense. Of these two a man has sense already. To make him a Kami all that is necessary is to ascribe to him transcendent power.

~Motoori Norinaga (1730 - 1801)

If you have the transcendent power to command and judge the souls of the dead, and you exercise it, and it is known that you wield that power, then you are, by Shinto standards, a god.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C D III I

Now is our chance to apply some pimping skill. :smug:
If you have the transcendent power to command and judge the souls of the dead, and you exercise it, and it is known that you wield that power, then you are, by Shinto standards, a god.
Of pimping?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Now is our chance to apply some pimping skill. :smug:
To a girl who was nearly raped ten minutes ago? This would be a worthy test of our abilities. :salute:

But a true pimp would be interested in both sisters. It's a full set or nothing. :rpgcodex:

Nevill

Arcane
Anyway.
You do not pay much attention to any of these, however: your eyes are drawn to the long-haired girl sitting in the branches, her bare-footed legs swinging idly. She flickers in and out of existence… an entity that is not entirely here. Her eyes stare blankly at some faraway scene. Though you must have made some noise making it here, she does not seem to notice your presence at all.

Why?

----

Her name.

You should know her name, but it flashes through your mind only as a burst of static.

“That girl… isn’t that Uehara? What is she doing up there?” gasps Maeda.

That’s right. She looks like her. ---a.

Ignoring the supernatural battle raging about you, you dive towards the closest archway of the tree and cross it, Maeda in tow.

Don’t look back.

A girl’s voice echoes quietly in your mind; your first thought is of the girl who was sitting on the branches of the Juunimon, the girl who had remained heedless of the carnage around her, and –her, don’t leave her behind – you are unable to resist turning back, trying to see if she is still there, swinging her feet and singing her song.
I suspected these thoughts belonged to Juuzo, but with this new information I have to admit that it is more likely that it involves Seiji and Seika.

I wonder, then, if he isn't our 'core' personality, but just another one of the voices. Which one, though? The one who said to kill Uehara (should we refer to her as Shizuka now? since Uehara is a family name), or the one who told us she is in her way? Or none of those?

I feel like we are going to have a battle for our identity in the nearby future.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Of pimping?

No, Man Tiger Pig still holds that portfolio for now.

Current tally:

A - 2
B - 2
C - 6

A - 2
B - 3
C - 2
D - 3

I - 5
II - 2
III - 8
IV - 1
V - 4

Post-flip:

A - 3
B - 1
C - 6

A - 1
B - 4
C - 1
D - 4

I - 5
II - 2
III - 8
IV - 1
V - 4

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
It just downed on me.

Could Uehara's antipathy to Amanozaki be related not to her vehement denial of the supernatural, but to the fact that Amanozaki does it wrong? That her psychic persona is a fake one and that she is a diletant who does not know what she is doing is noticeable from a mile away.

It is also interesting to note that our memory is very selective. For some reason we remember only one instance of passing the Abyss of Souls, though Cooper suggests we have done so twelve times. What happened during the other eleven? Why is it only this one time that registered in our memory?

Uehara's attitude towards us shifted gradually. She didn't know who we were and was genuinely well-disposed towards us during our first meeting, which to me suggests it was time point zero. She was melancholic and apathetic during the third night, and she also was surprised at our readiness to cooperate, suggesting that a lot of time have passed and that our interactions weren't very friendly. She was openly mistrustful during the fourth, and nearly mad during the fifth.

I wonder what happened between us in the meantime.

It looks like our moments of consciousness as 'true' Shinoseki Adachi are aberrations rather than norm.

Maybe if we establish this fact, this could become the basis for us working together? Her goals do not seem to run contrary to our current incarnation, and if Seiji wins, Adachi might well seize to exist.

I will amend my 2nd vote to 2A>B.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally:

A - 2
B - 3
C - 6

A - 3
B - 3
C - 2
D - 3

I - 6
II - 2
III - 8
IV - 1
V - 5

Post-flip:

A - 2
B - 3
C - 6

A - 1
B - 5
C - 1
D - 4

I - 6
II - 2
III - 8
IV - 1
V - 5

Oh boy. Plot dump (in Comic Sans) incoming.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A Sister's Quest

“You don’t trust me very much, do you?” You begin with an obvious observation, probing for cracks in Uehara’s sullenness.

Listening to your question, she snorts derisively, her lips twitching in a mocking smile. “Why ask when you already know the answer? I would be the biggest idiot in the world to trust you. My sister believed in your lies, trusted the mask that you wore. I won’t.” The knife waves menacingly, warning you to keep away.

“What lies did I tell her, Uehara-san?” you ask calmly.

This only seems to enrage her further. “You know full well what you did, Shinohara Seiji! You seduced Seika-nee for your own whims, and then trapped her in here!” She gestures at the surroundings – the entire hospital – and glares at you.

Seika. The name rings familiarly in your ears, yet at the same time you are unable to recognize it.

“So you are here to rescue her?”

Uehara falters, and shakes her head. “Not at first, no. I didn’t know what happened to Seika-nee when I went to Ikei, only that the truth of her disappearance was somewhere in here. That’s what the message said.”

“What message?”

Uehara fumbles in the pockets of her skirt and brings out her phone. Thumbing through it, she opens up a text message and shows it to you:

UNKNOWN NUMBER:

If you want to find out the truth about your sister, come to Ikei Hospital.

It is a short, terse message. Remembering her stated reason for coming here, you ask, “So that story about visiting a friend in the hospital… that was a lie?”

“No, that part is true. We do have a friend in the hospital. Well… had. I’m guessing you killed her too.”

“I’m no murderer.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“If I were, I would have killed you by now, Uehara-san.”

“You’re just taunting me, trying to torment me by dragging things out.”

“No, I truly think we need to work together to survive, and to do that, I need to know what you know about me.”

“Don’t play dumb with me! I know you remember everything by now… I can see it in your eyes.”

You shake your head. “I remember something. Not everything. I certainly don’t remember being Shinohara Seiji.”

“My sister sent me a picture of the two of you, together. You are Shinohara Seiji. The same Shinohara Seiji that suspiciously disappeared when my sister did. Don’t even try to deny it.”

The very thought of it seems strange to you – that you have a forgotten lover, buried somewhere in the depths of this labyrinthine hospital. “We’ve never met before all this happened, then?”

“No,” Uehara admits. “We wouldn’t have met when she was with you. If I was around… if only I was with her…” She bites her thumb, glaring at the floor, and continues to mumble. “It’s all their fault. If they hadn’t… if Mother hadn’t… Seika and I wouldn’t have had to part ways…”

“What do you mean? ”

She sighs wearily. “Didn’t Seika-nee tell you about me? I think she must have. Why do you insist on pestering me so?”

“I told you, Uehara-san, I don’t remember.”

You should just get to the part where you push her down already, Acchan.

Patience. You keep a steady, quiet gaze on Uehara, ignoring Ei’s yawning complaints.

Clicking her tongue in displeasure, Uehara begins to talk. “I think you should have realized it by now, but Uehara is not my real family name. How could it be, when Seika and I are twins?” Not wanting to interrupt her just as she’s beginning to open up, you remain silent. “The Tendou clan has a long and prestigious history in this region, especially when it comes to matters of the supernatural. It was about ten years ago, I think, when they asked our mother to conduct a purification ritual.” Her expression darkens, and her voice softens into a whisper. “Something went wrong then. People died. The clan decided to put all blame on Mother, claiming that she didn’t follow this procedure or that ritual properly. It was all nonsense. She wouldn’t have made a mistake. It wasn’t her fault. It is absolutely impossible that it was her fault.”

“She… survived the ritual? She wasn’t amongst those who died?” you ask tentatively.

“Yes, she didn’t die then,” nods Uehara. “But she might as well have. The decrepit old people in charge decided to cast us out of the shrine since we allegedly shamed the clan… but at the same time, they needed someone of my mother’s blood to be her successor. Of the ones suitable, there were only my sister and I.”

“And they picked her.”

“She was the older one. The stronger one, in their eyes,” shrugs Uehara, with a tinge of resentment colouring her words. “My mother and I were thrown out, left to fend for ourselves. After a while, she moved in with a man, and took his name. My mother wasn’t really the same afterwards, however. She told me once that what she saw during the ritual would always stay with her. It could never be washed away from her eyes, no matter how many tears she shed… and finally, she hung herself a few years back. It was only after her funeral that I began corresponding with Seika-nee again, but we did not meet up in person often.”

“So, Uehara…”

“That’s right. It’s an adopted name. Not like it matters. I wouldn’t want to carry the Tendou name anyway,” she says bitterly.

“But you still carry their omamori around, don’t you?” you guess.

“They’re not mine. They belong to Seika-nee,” she states flatly.

“Are you collecting them as a keepsake?”

“Playing dumb again, Shinohara? These charms carried part of Seika’s essence. Once I collect all of them, I would be able to find my way to her. The entire hospital is like a living maze, with the true path to its center constantly changing and hiding itself. The charms are the only way to meet her again…” her face twists into a scowl, “and they only appeared to you.”

“Because of my… relationship with her?”

“Perhaps. Or perhaps because you are the one responsible for putting her into this situation.”

You frown. “What, exactly, do you think I did, Uehara-san?”

“She was constantly in Ikei hospital for a period of time, though she never told me why. It was at Ikei that she met you. From her messages, it was clear that she would have done anything for you, Shinohara. And once I reached this world… once I pieced together what actually happened to Seika-nee…” Her eyes flash with deadly anger. “I cannot be more certain that you are guilty.”

“You cannot accuse me of some crime without explaining what I am guilty of.”

Everything that has happened!” she shouts, your rational calmness finally irritating her beyond her limits. “All the people who have died! You took this land’s tradition and perverted it for your own selfish ends, and for what? Just to see if you could!” She throws her knife to the floor angrily, where it clatters under a couch, and pushes you down with both hands. “Isn’t that right, Shinohara? You knew of Seika-nee’s connection to this place, and I am certain you got close to her just because of that! Admit it! Stop pretending to forget! Night after night, for a hundred nights you play the fool, your masks changing endlessly to hide the foul core of who you really are, and I am just so tired of it!” she screams in your face.

Uh… Acchan… aren’t you supposed to be doing the pushing down here?

As she grabs your collar and begins shaking it furiously, an image begins to form in your mind, white noise that blanks out all of your thoughts before resolving itself into a clear picture… that of a massive web spun into the form of a white sphere, and the long-haired girl who looks just like Uehara buried at its center, the strings of the web stretching from under her closed eye-lids. Eternally asleep yet ever-watching, as though the web is a dream that she must see lest the silk evaporate into nothingness… or worse, take a life of its own. That is where Seika is, that is where she is waiting for you to rescue her-

“-to rescue her…” you mutter.

“What?” snaps Uehara, her face still uncomfortably close.

“I… I still don’t remember everything, but I do know one thing.” You feel an inexplicably painful stirring in your chest, looking at Uehara’s face from such a near distance. They look too much alike. “If what you say is right… if I am Shinohara, and I have his memories and his desires… then there is one thing that I can say that is definitely not a lie. Shinohara Seiji wants to save Tendou Seika as much as you do.” If those are truly his thoughts, this is the only way you can sensibly interpret that feeling. Of course, it does not mean that you feel the same. I am my own person... aren't you?

“I don’t believe you,” she repeats blindly. “I don’t believe you. I can’t believe you.”

“You said it yourself, Uehara. The amulets appear in my presence. You won’t be able to locate them all without me. Whether you believe me or not, you need me.”

“Maybe they would appear to me instead if you were not here, if you were dead… but the amulets are pointless now anyway,” she laughs bitterly.

“Why?”

“I had already succeeded in collecting all of the charms. All one hundred of them. In the last night I brought them to the basement… and…” She holds her head with one hand, clearly frustrated. “I think I saw someone… Something happened, I’m not sure what, then he told me that you were the last key. That I had to turn you into the gate, the sacrifice. That if I did not, you would reach Seika-nee by yourself. I thought I had made it. I thought I could finally reach Seika-nee, but it was all useless in the end…”

It looks like when she woke up in Kaimei, Uehara had thought herself to have drifted even further away from Seika, and despaired. “The Witch and the Maiden… they are one and the same after all…” she whispers before falling silent, doing nothing but clinging onto your collar, droplets of tears sporadically falling off the tip of her chin.

Thanks to her words, you begin to reflect on your experiences in the last night. The Juunimon and the girl you saw sitting in the branches… Seika. The charms that Uehara collected, and the path into the abyss. All of those, you think, are related, but you are unable to draw proper connections between them at the moment. Not least because Uehara is still straddling you, making it hard for you to concentrate.

You start to call her name.

“Ue-“

“U-Uehara! Are you alright?” Sakimura bursts into the door without warning, and gapes in surprise. He must have been worried enough to come rushing, unable to sit still and wait for her to return. “What… what is going on here?” He looks at both you and Uehara, your clothes disheveled, her sitting on top of you.

“O-Oh, nothing!” says Uehara brightly. She hops off of you quickly, patting the back of her skirt. “Just a bit of wrestling. We are both wrestling fans, Shino… Shinoseki-san and I, and we thought we’d do a bit of light sparring to sharpen us up! Who knows what manner of evil is lurking here, right?” The tension has passed: you suspect she will not be trying to kill you for some time now that most of her pent-up stress has been released through bullying you.

“That’s… that’s right, Sakimura-san. It was just some training,” you say quickly. Now that you concentrate, you can hear other footsteps coming along. You begin to ponder your next course of action. You must have been brought here for a reason. Uehara has told you something of what she knows, but you get the feeling it is not all she knows, and even if she had told you everything you would still be unable to see the full picture.

A. You decide to explore the hospital further on your own. You think you have gotten all you can out of Uehara for now. As you suspect you were not brought to Kaimei by accident, you think that there must be something you are meant to find here. The others would only hold you back and waste your time.

B. You stay, and wait for the others to arrive. There is safety in numbers, whether be it through friendly cooperation, or through the procurement of cannon fodder. Besides, Uehara still hasn’t told you everything she knows, you’re sure, and you would like to question her further when you have the time.

C. You ask Uehara to come with you to explore the hospital together. Unfortunately, Sakimura is around, and the others are not far behind: he'll definitely make a fuss about coming along, and things might get uncomfortable very quickly.

Acchan, that soul was quite malicious! I've made great progress towards recovering my full strength, so you’ll be able to unseal two spells instead of one this time!

Pick two:

I. A spell to slow down the movements of spiritual entities.
II. An incantation that will briefly increase the user’s physical agility.
III. An ability strengthening the user’s dimensional bond with the grimoire, allowing it to vanish and teleport to the owner at will.
IV. A ritual to conjure a physical barrier that works against corporeal beings.
V. An incantation to sever matter and space, creating a gap where there had been none.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
As she grabs your collar and begins shaking it furiously, an image begins to form in your mind, white noise that blanks out all of your thoughts before resolving itself into a clear picture… that of amassive web spun into the form of a white sphere
The Spheres did this! I knew it all along! :argh:

Alright, so our various skills come from the minds fused together as a part of the Omoikane project that we have led with our granddad, Juuzo. It is likely that it is those people who play our role in the different nights, as Uehara's frustration with our 'endless masks' seems to indicate. They are also the voices in our head that we now have to live with.

It is also interesting that we no longer lose memories. Uehara brought the amulets to the basement during our 'last night'. To me it looks like she is referring to the fourth night when she insisted at searching the basement time and time again. I guess if we followed her there we could have found something, but instead we derailed the whole plot by diving into the Abyss. It is worth to note that it was Seika's song that lured us there, so maybe she does not want to be 'revived'? There is a matter of her telling us not to look behind... and also there are some voices that are repeatedly telling us to kill Uehara for an unknown reason. One of them may well belong to Seiji, and he may have intended Shizuka to become either a vessel or a sacrifice for Seika's revival. And Seika might not want that.

He chuckles politely. “Ah, but as I have said before… do I truly exist? Does this place truly exist? I may seem to know a lot, but I am certain you know as much as I do. You are just unable to remember.”

“If that is the case, I am sure that you can tell me what I do not remember at the moment.”

“Oh… but I cannot. I can only tell you what you truly want me to tell you.”

“Are you saying that my subconscious is telling me I do not truly want to know everything? Have I put a mental block on myself?”

“Perhaps. You would have to ask it yourself. The only things I can say are what I can say. A tautology of sorts, and quite infuriating, admittedly, but that is how things are.” He smiles. You have no idea whether he is telling the truth or not. “Do not be frustrated. We are ultimately on your side,” continues the man. He gestures to the maid. “Show him.”

She bows, and stretches out her palm. A strange, flower-like crystal, shining with multiple colours, lies in the center of it. The crystal is glowing gently. It appears to have been fractured and pieced together again. “With the final gate open, we can now begin piecing together the fragments of your shattered psyches. It will take some time, but hopefully it will be complete before the nights come to an end.”
Looking back to the first update of the chapter, perhaps it would be for the best if we do not take Seiji's ideas and ideals as our own.

Anyway, we seem to have traded whatever it is that we missed for the ability to remember things from this point onward and that had an effect of preserving our current personality of Shinoseki Adachi. It also looks like the old man is the one directing Uehara's hand and setting her against us. Considering that we have felt the urge to hit him before... could he be the one responsible for Seika's condition?

Some part of me suspects that a purification disaster was planned, too. But that would be going into a conspiracy theory territory.

It looks like the revival of a dead person is our stint, after all, and not Juuzo's. It fits with all those visions of Uehara that we have had, considering that they are twins with Seika. Then... could the old man be Juuzo? What is he after?

He searched for the amulets, that much is clear. When he didn't succeed, he changed tactics and allowed Uehara to collect them instead. Does it mean that he, too, wants to revive someone? Is a competition between us of that sort?

Anyway, I don't think it would be wise to let Uehara contact him again and spin the story his way. We should stay with her... though I am not sure if we should stay with the others. Sakimura can raise all the fuss he wants, or he can come along, I care not which.

Though we need to take measures to protect ourselves, and not just from the spirits. A point in knife-dodging would not hurt if we want to maintain our truce. And improving our connection with Necrololicon is an obvious choice, if we are separated, we might as well be dead.

C>B II>V III, I guess.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait so Sphere diplomacy technically worked? I mean, Uehara isn't killing us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom