Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I don't see why you are arguing if it is morally wrong to kill Taketatsu with someone who was very much in favor of it.

Yes, he was a threat. No, we didn't do it to protect Maeda. We were surprised to find she was still alive, so being protective of her was not a part of our reasoning.
it was part of my reasoning and it wasn't made clear in the choice what our motive was or wasn't.
Just because that's what we thought doesn't make it true. As to enjoying it a little: Eh. A soldier might disagree with you or a police officer putting down a murderer. Granted Shinoseki is none of these , but in the absence of them he is the closest thing to them. More about a victory over an enemy than enjoying killing.

If you think we'll be in just as much danger if she's dead, then vote conditionally for B.

I never said that last part, dude. I mean that if I thought d would work, I'd vote for it above c and a.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lambchop19 said:
If you think we'll be in just as much danger if she's dead, then vote conditionally for B.
I am sure she will make a much better impression on the rest of them when she comes back with disheveled hair, loosely buttoned blouse, asphyxiation marks on her neck and a blank stare. :roll:

Don't get me wrong, B amuses me greatly and if we played a less developed character I would giddily vote for it just to see how far treave could take us with the villainy. As it is, though, I have spent the entirety of the 3rd chapter trying (and failing) to keep everyone together. Besides, we have decided to save those who could be saved, and given that we have come to know very few people in this hospital, I thought it would be about Maeda, Amanozaki, Uehara, Mitsuki and Mori. We don't have much reason to save the others given how little contact we have had with them.

Also, I have been very vocal in my support of Uehara since the beginning, and the more I find about her, the more I want us to help her. Sorry, dude. Can't vote for anything else here.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We don't have much reason to save the others given how little contact we have had with them.

On the other hand, familiarity breeds contempt.

A running theme of the LP so far - at least, it's supposed to be - is that none of the characters are entirely who they appear to be on the surface, e.g.

Bubbly anti-supernatural schoolgirl = related to a shrine famous for psychics

Enigmatic spiritualist nut = rough & tumble ex-delinquent and club hostess

High-class socialite with strong personality = weak-willed and needy

Nevill

Arcane
On the other hand, familiarity breeds contempt.
From contempt, pity is born. From pity, compassion.

Then we become Jesus and die for their sins. :hero::happytrollboy:

Eh, right, I forgot. Different setting, different choices.

GreyViper

Prophet
D Im somewhat surprised that her receiving the amulets previous nights didn't make her mentally stronger. Then again maybe she ran into our adversary and he did a number on her.

Nevill

Arcane
We know for certain that the night when she had the amulet she did not run into the old man because he tried to take the amulet from us and failed.

But it looks like the amulet didn't help her a lot, either, else she would not be here.

I wonder why she seeks it with so much fervor, then.

Last edited:

Lambchop19 said:
I am sure she will make a much better impression on the rest of them when she comes back with disheveled hair, loosely buttoned blouse, asphyxiation marks on her neck and a blank stare. :roll:
haha, it'd almost be worth it to see sakimura react. But no, pretty much all the choices require us to flee the others. Even if D doesn't result in our immediate death, we'd need to flee the others just in case. We should never have come back to them. Let alone trusted Uehara.

Last edited by a moderator:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You could always just kill them all and feed them to your pet book, you know. What's this talk of running? :flamesaw:

Jester

Arbiter
Enigmatic spiritualist nut = rough & tumble ex-delinquent and club hostess
Wait what?
Club hostess?
Did we get the address of that club?
Look like i forgotten pretty damn important info.

flop B

*tsk tsk* looks like Uehara isn't going to suffer after all. Oh, well. Btw, I wonder why the maid who works for our gentleman friend looks like her...

Nevill

Arcane
Everything in the hospital looks like her.

The ghost girl in the tree, the girl in the pool ghost's memories, the girl from the photograph. Either her family has a long history with this place, or her sister has influence on the workings of the hospital somehow.

Last edited:

Ah, but that room is some sort of safe zone. No ghosts have yet been seen there yet, so I rather doubt she has influence there.

I'd say you are right about the history bit.

Nevill

Arcane
God damn it, the search is broken again. And here I thought I was going crazy, remembering things that suddenly are nowhere to be found.

Anyway, there was that theory by Kayerts suggesting the this is all some sort of a consciousness experiment.
My guess would be that the events we experience are part of some simulated consciousness experiment; Cooper's observing it, which is why we see him when we die. It also provides a mechanic for restarts. My branching guess would be that the experiment's picked up some elements of consciousness that weren't anticipated, which are deforming the experiment: hence the existence of the old hospital beneath the structure of this one; hence, also, the girl (a particularly strong lingering consciousness?) forcing her way into the experiment and being extremely powerful here.
If so, then seeing Uehara everywhere may have to do with the quirks of our mind more than anything else.

Of course, that was before Maeda Ending, which implies that everything is 'real', to a degree.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Of course, that was before Maeda Ending, which implies that everything is 'real', to a degree.

The explanation for that is that all of you are actually personalities created or co-opted by Maeda in an attempt to cope with Shinohara Seiji's absence.

Nevill

Arcane
The explanation for that is that all of you are actually personalities created or co-opted by Maeda in an attempt to cope with Shinohara Seiji's absence.
That... explains why she is the prettiest out of the bunch. :salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Drawing of the Boundary

“We’re saving her, Ei.”

It’s your funeral, Acchan.

Ei remarks on your choice flippantly as you prepare to destroy the orderly’s shade, book in hand. This time, he senses the danger that you pose, and shifts his attention away from Uehara entirely. The ghost snarls, black mist flowing from his lolling tongue. The fingerprints around his neck, dark purple on white, ashen skin, pulsate with a malignant life. Before you can even lay a hand on him, he floats into the walls and vanishes.

Oh, be careful. He hasn’t run away. Without being in close contact with the spirit, the exorcism spell will not work, either. As long as he’s hiding beyond your reach, you cannot do anything. Not yet, at least!

“He’s going to try and ambush us,” says Uehara suddenly. “Like he did just now.” Her eyes do not meet yours; she is hugging her knees and staring at the wall while biting her lip. There is a slight tremble to her shoulders. You remember the pain inflicted by the builder’s ghost in the museum: thorns that grow under the skin, spreading and entangling the soul. It is not a sensation that can be shrugged off easily. On the other hand, it also seems to have knocked back a semblence of sanity into her. When she shows no sign of talking any further, you turn away and scan the room for the spirit’s presence. He’s probably faster than you are, and his intangibility is also a problem.

Should I lure him out of the walls, or… You decide to test out the new spell Ei has unlocked. A never-ending rush of syllables comes flooding into your mind: the chant for the Nilakantha Dharani Boundary. H-Hey, I didn’t know it was supposed to be that long!

You better hurry and get to chanting then, Acchan...

You hear an unmistakable tone of glee in Ei’s voice: it looks like she is enjoying your surprise. Grumbling, you begin rushing through the incantation, hoping that the spirit does not attack before you are done. Though you realize that it strongly resembles a Buddhist chant, you are not very familiar with the words, which does not help matters any. Halfway through your chant, you hear a loud moaning. The air thickens with malice as the orderly resurfaces at the far wall. His demented eyes shine with obvious hostility. You tense up your body, preparing to dodge… but Uehara is behind you. Just as you decide to try and chant the exorcism incantation instead, the ghost strikes. He rushes at you, moving faster than you can react. The pale arms blur, and you feel a sharp, tearing pain along your right flank. His nails, black as night and sharp as claws, have raked bloody furrows in your flesh. You sink to one knee, gasping out loud.

Finish the chant! Don’t stop halfway, you’ll lose control of the spell!

The ghost swiftly darts back into the walls. Hit and run tactics, eh? You let out a strange, bitter laugh, while continuing to press on with the incantation. Soon, you hear that moaning again. It looks like he has no intention of letting you finish. The ghost reappears, and charges at you once more.

“What the hell are you doing?” A small talisman flies towards the ghost and strikes him right in the forehead. There is a slight crackle of electricity which fizzes out quickly. He stops, for just a second, and turns to look at Uehara. She is panting and unsteady on her feet, her fingers outstretched. The mixture of fear, desperation and anger on her face tells you that she never expected it to work at all.

He lets out a rattling laughter, and hisses out broken, unintelligible words from his dead throat.

You shout out the last verses of the incantation in a hurry, drowning out the ghostly cackle.

My boundary parts the six domains of the realm of desire.

Should I go towards the mountain of knives, the mountain of knives will fall.

Should I go towards into the ocean of boiling oil, the boiling oil evaporates into nothingness.

Should I go towards the abyssal hells, the abyssal hells bow before me and offer up their malice.

Should I go towards the hungry ghosts, the hungry ghosts burst from fullness.

Should I go towards the animals, the animals succumb to their instincts and flee.

My boundary controls the desire of the Asuras.

My boundary darkens the bliss of the Devas.

My boundary is the path of Man.

Thus is my complete invocation of these verses both truth and boundary!

The spell is a success, although – rather anticlimatically – there are no brilliant light displays to mark its casting. The boundary is established: a powerful barrier that no spirit can cross. It would be easier for a man to walk through a block of metal than for a ghost to pass the barrier. It is a ward that is shaped according to your will. And as such, rather than placing it around yourself or Uehara, you place it around the ghost.

He bounces off the invisible wall, and for once, you get to enjoy the sight of a ghost looking perplexed. With a gesture of your hand, the barrier shrinks, until the ghost only has enough space to stand straight up. Then, a smile playing across your lips, you make it shrink again. The ghost wails and screams, as his limbs and torso are crushed, compacted into the area of a small cube. He struggles, slamming himself mindlessly against the barrier, but it does not budge one bit. Calmly, you walk towards the tormented spirit, your lips reciting the incantation for exorcism.

“Thus I speak.”

A wave of shadow bursts forward from the cube, suffusing you with its powerful negative emotions. Lust and hatred and anger and fear. Again, scenes flash through your head like pages in a book.

You see the orderly cajoling and coercing a young female patient.

You see him doing the same, with a different patient; another girl.

You see him cowering in the closet of a staff lounge.

You see the doors of the closet open, the hands of the dead reaching for his throat.

You see the eyes of the girls that he touched, staring blankly as their hands squeeze the life from him.

And as the pressure from his malice fades, you see his pathetic remains quivering inside the prison you created, awaiting your judgment.

A. Disperse the spirit, returning the essence to the hospital.

B. Absorb the spirit, taking its malice into yourself.

C. Feed the spirit to Ei, allowing her to unlock more of her seals.

“You… what have you become? How did you do that?” Uehara says, half laughing, half horrified. “But… no wonder. With all that incessant, dangerous meddling in the occult, this was bound to happen one way or another, wasn’t it? You truly are a monster...”

She sinks to the floor, exhausted, and covers her face with her hands.

“Aren’t you going to try and kill me again?” you ask.

“Come closer and you’ll find out,” she says wearily.

While you were busy with the ghost, she had successfully retrieved her knife, it seems. It is angled at you threateningly, even now. You look at Uehara, shivering on the floor, and decide to ask something else. “You could have let the ghost kill me while I was trying to prepare the spell. Instead, you distracted him. Why?”

“Why, you ask? I… I don’t…” Uehara seems confused. Then, she seems to regain herself, to realize where she is. Her eyes narrow, glaring at you venomously. “D-Don’t get me wrong, I would be perfectly happy to see you die. But not in that way… not by some thrall of this world you unleashed. I would rather cut you up myself. Besides, it would have come after me after killing you, and if I die here I won’t be able to find my sister. Only one of us is going to leave this room… only one of us is going to find Seika-nee. And it won’t be you, Shinohara Seiji.”

You calmly fob off her bloodthirst and say, “You keep calling me by that name, Shinohara Seiji.”

“What should I call you, then?” she asks sarcastically.

“I told you, my name is Shinoseki Adachi.”

Uehara only laughs, before continuing to stare at you. She must be wondering whether she should make the first move.

“I have some questions, Uehara-san,” you say politely, sitting down in front of her. She tenses up, pushing her back up against the wall as you draw closer.

“Don’t… don’t come near me.”

“You can’t kill me if I stay away, Uehara-san. But I do have to sit closer to ask my questions, don’t I? Uehara-san?”

You are planning on killing her after tricking her into spilling the beans, Acchan? Oh, how devious!

No. You think, in response to Ei’s delighted squeal. No, I’m just going to find out what I want. I think this might work out.

It might work, if you pick your questions carefully. You get the feeling that Uehara is vulnerable at the moment – her mental state certainly isn’t very stable after the ghostly encounter, and if you push in the right way, find out the right things, you can manage to get her to stop trying to kill you. At least temporarily.

You ask your questions by trying to be:

A. Gentle, kind and patient.

B. Rational, calm and professional.

C. Rough, aggressive and confrontational.

D. Seductive, alluring and passionate.

No matter what you ask, you are certain you will get a sense of the overall picture, but the specifics of the questions themselves would frame the story that she tells. You focus on asking about (pick two):

I. Her.
II. Her sister.
III. Yourself.
IV. The others trapped here.
V. The hospital.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
As much as I want to feed the spirit to Ei, I am not sure it would be a good idea to do that in front of Uehara. Ei's dining manners are not for the impressionable.

If we decide to feed her, I want to improve on our physical abilities. Sounds like it might become important in the immediate future. I would probably skip on the next feeding session, though, just not to go full Devour Soul route.

Noit sure how far you can push her before she pushes back with that knife of hers. I guess either a gentle or a rational attitude could work.

I wonder what is it that we could want from her sister. Judging by her words, we seek her, too. For what purpose? I do not recall her mentioning her revival, only 'freeing her from our clutches'. Could it be that it is us who wants to revive her, and Uehara is the one wanting to put her to rest?

Of the topics, she, her sister, and Seiji interest me most. Why has she come here, what does she want to accomplish, why does she think that our death would change anything, this kind of stuff. If we want to help her or at the very least do not want her to get in our way, it is probably wise to learn what makes her tick. I suppose it is not safe to show an interest in her sister as she clearly wants to keep us away from her.

So... C A I III?

Then again, the hospital might be a pretty good topic, too, seeing how she has been here for decades and knows the ins and outs. Wonder what she means by the 'world we unleashed'.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As much as I want to feed the spirit to Ei, I am not sure it would be a good idea to do that in front of Uehara. Ei's dining manners are not for the impressionable.

The option to make Ei eat in a less horrific way won out, I think.

Regardless, I pity the builder. Just doing his job, gets entombed as a pillar sacrifice, dies, gets his soul torn to shreds and fed to a book.

Meanwhile, the rapist gets to walk.

Nevill

Arcane
The option to make Ei eat in a less horrific way won out, I think.
How less horrific are we talking about? Does it mean that the option has no bearing on the subsequent scene with Uehara? If so, I can change my vote.

Regardless, I pity the builder. Just doing his job, gets entombed as a pillar sacrifice, dies, gets his soul torn to shreds and fed to a book.

Meanwhile, the rapist gets to walk.
I don't know which is worse, being torn to shreds and destroyed presumably for good, or 'living' eternally in what essentially is a soul-grinder. :roll:

Besides, they are kinda already dead, so the judgement angle is somewhat moot.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Besides, they are kinda already dead, so the judgement angle is somewhat moot.

In most cultures, souls are judged for their sins in life after the body dies, not before. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom