Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Preview:

latest
giphy.gif

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:hmmm:
If we chose an Overbaby for our hero, would the Tsun-Princess find us too cute to kill off and adopt us instead? I must know! :negative:

Also, when would it occur to our hero to ask for her name? Unless she likes to be called Princess Tits.

Come to think of it, do we have a name? 'Hero', 'dear leader' - not one of our companions called us by our name, and we were boorish enough not to introduce ourselves to the Demon Lord. We must work on our manners.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If we chose an Overbaby for our hero, would the Tsun-Princess find us too cute to kill off and adopt us instead? I must know!

She would pick you up and bring you to the goblin village. Overbaby has the best spying abilities, being able to infiltrate princesses' chambers and (female) bathhouses with equal ease.

Also, when would it occur to our hero to ask for her name? Unless she likes to be called Princess Tits.

Introductions will be in the next update.

lightbane

Arcane
A1 I guess. Hopefully she'll be kind and understanding... Or at least wait until one of the goblins fetch us some clothes/have a chance to rest..

Random questions: Can sufficiently powerful spellcasters eschew the spell chants and cast a spell directly? Can a spell become more powerful than normal if we recite a longer than usual chant?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Random questions: Can sufficiently powerful spellcasters eschew the spell chants and cast a spell directly?

In a way, yes. Although calling out the spell name is still a required gesture to activate the spell. This will be explained further when you begin facing the enemy spellcasters of this world.

Can a spell become more powerful than normal if we recite a longer than usual chant?

There is no longer than usual chant for a spell, there is only the chant that was written for it.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, oh, I have a question too then.

Mage's Armor - Magical armor grants moderate increase to physical and magical defense as well as immunity to arrows
We didn't cast it in battle with the Tsun-Demoness. Did we think it was useless against a foe like this? Was the princesses' bat-wing armor a variation of this spell?

Petrification - Causes instant petrification to any being with Rank E or less magical defense.
Is there a way to reliably gauge an opponent's magical defense?

Spell Maximize - Maximizes effectiveness of a spell
How does this spell interact with others? Can it be cast in conjuction with Petrification to, say, lower the requirements of success to Rank D or less? Or with our Mana Breach to bring down greater spells?

What happens if we try to maximize Gigadyne? :M

Teleport - Allows teleportation to previously visited places.
How draining is it to cast? We are barely standing, and yet we are still able to jump away. What is there to prevent this being our - or our nemeses' - 'get out of jail free' card? Though there were mentions of anti-teleportation defenses, but those were preventing teleporting to a place, not out of one, and were not very effective (Lobelia passed them easily, and we used our Gigadyne to overcome the Academy countermeasures).

Invisibility - Grants invisibility to a single target
How does one see through it? The Beast Lord has a sense of smell, but what did the princess have? It is an extremely useful spell, but seeing how the only cast of it was a failure, I am starting to get concerned. :?

Also, what does it mean that the spell 'melted before her gaze'? Can we do it too? Is that how illusions work?

Summon: Familiar - Summons a familiar that is physically and mentally linked to the caster
Is it any different from other summons? How?

My guess is that a mental connection would allow us to use it more intelligently than others, who have an inferior mind of their own. But what is that 'physical' link?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We didn't cast it in battle with the Tsun-Demoness. Did we think it was useless against a foe like this? Was the princesses' bat-wing armor a variation of this spell?

You had only time to cast a single spell at that time, so you chose one that'd act as a distraction and a setup for your next attack rather than turtling up and hoping she doesn't hit hard enough to overcome your defenses.

Is there a way to reliably gauge an opponent's magical defense?

Demonic Eyes of Mystic Perception. :M

Or you could see if there are any analysis spells to learn. There were none back at the Academy, it tends to be more of a trial and error thing. Failing that, you can try to create your own scanner later on to gauge power levels.

How does this spell interact with others? Can it be cast in conjuction with Petrification to, say, lower the requirements of success to Rank D or less? Or with our Mana Breach to bring down greater spells?

What happens if we try to maximize Gigadyne? :M

Spell power can vary depending on the caster's intelligence, mana levels, mood, posture, chant, timing etc. If, say, you get the words a bit wrong or a bit too slow, or woke up on the wrong side of bed that day, your Petrification could even fail against a Rank E. Spell Maximize guarantees that the spell is cast at maximum efficiency regardless of all of those factors, at the cost of more mana.

It is already incorporated into Gigadyne when you created the spell, so Gigadyne is always maximized. :M

How draining is it to cast? We are barely standing, and yet we are able to jump away. What is there to prevent this being our - or our nemeses' - 'get out of jail free' card? Though there were mentions of anti-teleportation defenses, but those were preventing teleporting to a place, not out of one, and were not very effective (Lobelia passed them easily, and our Gigadyne overcame the Academy countermeasures).

The drain depends on the distance. The anti-teleportation defense of the demons was spread thin to prevent direct incursion from the kingdoms outside of their sphere of influence, but this means that you can go short distances within the field before you encounter enough resistance to stop you. But that is with Lobelia, who is an archmage and has an A-rank teleportation spell, which you don't. Gigadyne bypassed the Academy countermeasures because it isn't teleportation magic at all.

How does one able to overcome it? The Beast Lord has a sense of smell, but what did the princess have? It is an extremely useful spell, but seeing how the only cast of it was a failure, I am starting to get concerned. :?

They can cast Detect Invisibility, of course. Or any other higher tier spells of detection which can only be countered by having higher tier invisibility spells. The princess has her demonic eye ability, which naturally allows her to see past your bullshit.

Tigranes

Arcane
You stupid cunts, we did not pick evil overlord as the new LP to wimp out of telling a girl we ate her father's heart at the first oppo-

Oh, we're all voting A1. Alright then.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Hey also, do we have a name? I hope we get a name, cause being called Hero or Overlord or MainVillainNo1 is very cliche and immersion-breaking.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Hey also, do we have a name? I hope we get a name, cause being called Hero or Overlord or MainVillainNo1 is very cliche and immersion-breaking.
Our name is Shinoseki Adachi. NONE OF THIS IS REAL!

Esquilax

Arcane
This is worrying me as well. We bandwagoned the shit out of this vote, and there was little to no DISCUSS!!! about it. What I will say is that the argument most in favour of it was "she probably had a good idea of what happened anyways, so maybe lying might make things worse". treave, out of curiosity, if we were to lie, what the hell would we say. She can sense her father's essence on us, how would we explain that? I just don't know the setting enough to think of a loophole here.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The easiest half-truth would be "I don't know what happened, when I woke up I was here and had wings." Which is technically true, you don't know what happened, you are just leaving out the part where you caused it to happen, whatever it is.

And I was just using the :hmmm: emoticon because I didn't expect you guys to be so Boy Scout about the whole thing, so no worries. :lol:

Given the bandwagon, if it does not change I can update in about 6 hours or so, then we can have a nice and stress-free weekend before resuming the following week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom