Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You mean if they give you a perfectly good and reasonable justification (to them) for their actions, you would like to stop revengeance?
I mean priorities.

If a group of enemy soldiers burn down your house and shoot your family, your anger, should you take a pro-active position, might manifest in two ways. You can choose to find out about them and track them down to the ends of the world, or you can enlist in the army and help fight off the power that brought them here. You'd still kill them if you cross paths with them again, it's just that it isn't your foremost goal.

One is personal, the other isn't.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

:lol: Nobody actually told them to kill us or Meirin though. There was no power that brought them to kill us.

Baltika9

Arcane
I dunno, enlisting into the military to fight the assholes who killed your family sounds like a personal (and rather common) reason to me.

Esquilax

Arcane
:lol: Nobody actually told them to kill us or Meirin though. There was no power that brought them to us.

Nobody told them to kill Mierin, but we were fair game once it was obvious we tried to betray.

“Was it clever insurance against your betrayal, or was this meant to be the means of the Demon Lord’s destruction, all from the start?”

You stir, excruciating pain rushing back in to meet you. You almost wish you had not regained consciousness. Your sight is blurry, and your field of vision is limited. You can barely move your arms, and you feel nothing below the waist. Every sound that you can hear is overlaid with a painful buzzing.

“Thus is the fate of those who go against the Goddesses’ will.”

You recognize the voice. Althus. Squinting, raising your head slowly, you see him standing over you. Kyle is there too. Lobelia too. They look tired and wounded, but they seem to have survived the blast a lot better than you did. If they cast a healing spell on you, you could still survive this.

“Did you really betray us?” Kyle says heavily, panting. At that moment, from the tone of his voice, you instantly know that you are not getting any healing of any sort, not from them.

“The devastation you see around us is proof, Master Theseon. It is the anger of the Goddesses manifest in this world, brought down by their champion’s betrayal. In so doing he has twisted the fates of not only himself, but other innocents who were not meant to perish here. I can feel the Goddesses’ sorrow deeply within me that such a thing has come to pass.”

They might not have been compelled by the goddesses to kill us directly, but it's pretty clear that they were serving their interests and knew that they were serving them.

Nevill

Arcane
I dunno, enlisting into the military to fight the assholes who killed your family sounds like a personal (and rather common) reason to me.
The army's goal is not to fight those exact assholes who killed your family.

The anger is a personal matter/motive, but its application is different from what you'd expect of vendetta.

Baltika9

Arcane
The army's goal is not to fight those assholes who killed your family.
Depends. Are you fighting the other side in the hope that you will one day face those assholes and kill them, or are you fighting to prevent your tragedy from happening to someone else? Because then we get into altruism vs revenge, which is not what this dilemma is all about. Obviously, A is making this situation personal (without denying our own guilt, I hope), it's just that we're deciding that we will have our reckoning one day. The motives for that, as treave said, will be explored later.

Nobody told them to kill Mierin, but we were fair game once it was obvious we tried to betray.

They might not have been compelled by the goddesses to kill us directly, but it's pretty clear that they were serving their interests and knew that they were serving them.
Yes, the goddesses used us, but that was it. It wasn't anything personal. They never had to look us in the eye. They never told them to finish us off adn we've established that the cleric likes to BS.

It's kind of like the "Noble" origin in Dragon Age: Origins for me though. It was a lot more fun for me to kill Howe because there was an actual motive for revenge, but Loghain - even though he was ultimately responsible - didn't matter all that much to me. He was a dick, but more of a dick by necessity. It never got personal.

I guess you are right that they are partially responsible though and I'm fully willing to lump them into our plans (again though, vengeance is not a top priority - even though I am pissed).

Nevill

Arcane
:lol: Nobody actually told them to kill us or Meirin though. There was no power that brought them to kill us.
Half-true. Nobody actually tells soldiers to rape and pillage, either, y'know?

Their stated reason for killing Mieren is because her proposal of leaving us alive was an affront to their goddesses and because it was taken as siding with a traitor of their cause.
“No. His destiny ends here, with his betrayal,” states Althus flatly. “Any other outcome is blasphemy.”
So we can regard their cause and their gods as our 'true' enemies, even though they might not be 'personal' ones.

Are you fighting the other side in the hope that you will one day face those assholes and kill them
Face it, no one who enlists really hopes to come across his family's killers. I mean, we are talking about thousands, if not millions of soldiers. What are the chances?

If you really want them dead, you are better off finding out their platoon, their rank, their personal files and coming after them specifically, perhaps after the war dies down. You have a greater chance of living to see it, too. This isn't something the army is concerned with.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There are a few things you can be angry about.

You can be angry about your personal circumstances, being used and betrayed, made into a hero against your initial wishes and then slated for disposal by ones you thought were your friends.

You can be angry about what happened to Mieren, an innocent that was dragged into the mess through no real fault of her own except her sense of justice.

You can be angry about the fate of men in general, seemingly bound like you were as thralls to the goddesses said to control the world.

You can be angry about all of those things, to a greater or a lesser extent. You just have to know what your motivations are. A noble crusader seeking to free man from the chains of destiny? A man angry at his betrayal at the hands of those he trusted, and lashing out in return? Someone who wants to ensure his loved ones will never be hurt, regardless of what others have planned, be they god or demon? Or maybe you just want the world to fuck off about getting you involved in all these dramatic events, and you don't care what you have to do to accomplish that.

oscar

Arcane
You can be angry about the fate of men in general, seemingly bound like you were as thralls to the goddesses said to control the world.

A Faustian angel sounds like quite a cool concept

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Isn't that basically the 'Lucifer the Freedom Fighter' concept?

Also, I'm might be repeating myself, but angels here don't carry the same religious connotations you might be used to.

Baltika9

Arcane
Do angels have the power to create new life/things? There's this arrogant demiurge concept I want to try out.

There are a few things you can be angry about.

You can be angry about your personal circumstances, being used and betrayed, made into a hero against your initial wishes and then slated for disposal by ones you thought were your friends.

You can be angry about what happened to Mieren, an innocent that was dragged into the mess through no real fault of her own except her sense of justice.

You can be angry about all of those things, to a greater or a lesser extent. You just have to know what your motivations are. A noble crusader seeking to free man from the chains of destiny? A man angry at his betrayal at the hands of those he trusted, and lashing out in return? Someone who wants to ensure his loved ones will never be hurt, regardless of what others have planned, be they god or demon? Or maybe you just want the world to fuck off about getting you involved in all these dramatic events, and you don't care what you have to do to accomplish that.
Don't forget angry about being cockblocked. As for motivations: harem, killing Kyle and the others (except the 7/10 chick who will "work off" her debt in our harem), war against HEAVANZ (for harem enlargement mostly), ruling the world in order to make a mandatory laziness day.

Nevill

Arcane
But we haven't played the actual Satan yet.

Though I admit that I fancy the path of corruption much more than that of 'burn and pillage'. It was a part of the reason why I initially went with DC, to conquer people with their own vices.

I can settle to dividing the spheres of influence between us and the goddesses, too. We are pro-choice, are we not? :obviously:

Also, I'm repeating myself, but angels here don't carry the same religious connotations you might be used to.
Good. We'll be breaking new grounds as far as the world is concerned, then. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Tally said:
A - 11
B - 11
:hmmm:

I think we all know how to solve these.

AB. Indifferent Anger. You feel a general sense of butthurt about the whole situation. The entire world is rotten to its very core. Why waste your time thinking about those traitors when you can hate on everything indiscriminately?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Also, I'm might be repeating myself, but angels here don't carry the same religious connotations you might be used to.
10-milton-paradise-lost-granger.jpg

Our Future.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
AB. Indifferent Anger. You feel a general sense of butthurt about the whole situation. The entire world is rotten to its very core. Why waste your time thinking about those traitors when you can hate on everything indiscriminately?

AB. Angry Indifference. You don't care about them. No, really, you don't. W-what, it's not like you're upset about getting betrayed by them or anything, baka!

AB. Angry Indifference. You don't care about them. No, really, you don't. W-what, it's not like you're upset about getting betrayed by them or anything, baka!
Leads to tsundre reverse asari Kyle romance. Leave it to Nevill to find the hidden gay romance option.

Nevill

Arcane
Shhh, don't force him to come out. He is not ready to face the truth yet.

Whaaa?! N-no, yo! Imma MAN, yo! I be out for the chicks only, yo! Fo serious!
hqdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom