Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I'll flop to 2.A as it looks like we are taking a menagerie. Keeping track of this circus in a bustling trade city sounds like a headache.

Esquilax

Arcane
It's an age old debate of whether a woman should stay in the kitchen. Well, we tried that already. Nothing good ever comes out of leaving Rin in the kitchen. :M

Perhaps it's LIBRULS like you that are at fault here for creating the circumstances in which Rin constantly shows us attitude. If she were in the kitchen from the very beginning, where she belongs, we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

I am of the opinion that Kayerts is right. In the previous choice, we opted not to form a separate nation where the people of Erise would swear fealty to us and we'd form the beginnings of a new country. I remember because I convinced a shitload of people to flop. Our village is hidden and receives little trouble from bandits, and we owe nothing to Erise, which doesn't leave Rin with a whole lot to do back home. As for why she'd be useful with us, well, she's useful to have around in general. And if we inevitably end up running into something terrifying that could kick our ass, we need all the help that we can get.

With that in mind, I vote Rin. Not sure about bringing Runde and/or Robust along considering we'd be in the city. I just don't know how people in big cities where anti-human sentiment is apparently stronger, will react to goblins, even if they present themselves as slaves. It might piss off Rin if they're mistreated and make her more prone to irrational decisions to protect them. But I'm willing to hear out some arguments in favour of bringing some gobbos along.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Considering that has come to this I vote:
RIN
and against bringing any goblins.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If she were in the kitchen from the very beginning, where she belongs, we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.
We sent her there once. It got messy, had to clean it up for a week - and I think the smell of dried guts still lingers in the air. :M

Anyway, the town is only a first step. There will be travel through the wilderness to the capital, there will be unexpected encounters, and there will be surprises, not all of them pleasant. Since we ended up with a bunch of hotheads, it's good to have everyone to keep eyes on everyone - Arlin is grounded enough to keep Rin (yes, I think so) and his sister in check and handle basic diplomacy while we are away, and Rin is powerful enough to fix the problem if it doesn't work. And Runde probably has more sense than all of them combined. :lol:

The goblin does not need to present himself as anything, he is our property, and what we do with our property is our business - a fact that we can easily demonstrate.

Really, there is nothing in it for me except wanting to train our gobbo regent a bit (we wanted him as our apprentice and we trusted him with command duty once). I really think he'd make a good ruler. We have the special aura for it, and most importantly, he is capable and willing to learn. That counts for a lot.

And I want enough firepower to protect the scrawnies whenever we turn away so that we weren't afraid to split up with the group and find that they got themselves into something stupid when we come back.

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, and regarding the humans' stance on non-humans, here is how I see things.

The problems the humans have with them is not hate, per se, it's that the church has declared that they have no, or an impure soul. It means that the concept of 'monster rights' is non-existant in the human kindgdoms. Monsters exist to be enslaved, used, sold as you would an item - and killed if they resist. It does not mean people 'hate' them - it means that they are non-persons.

Which makes me think that if we treat the goblin as property, like, say, a circus curiosity, no one will have a problem with it, as it would be well within their worldview.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
There is perfectly logical reason to leave a Rin behind.
Us and Rin are certainly very powerful, but our minions power levels are....Quite lacking.

The twins are perhaps 1-level fighters, Pezta was level 10 scout, Runde was level 8 scholar and biggest one we know was Robust with whopping level 14 goblin champion.
These aren't excactly impressive power level for our named lietnants and without a doubt our nameless goblin mooks are even worse, but there was a way for them to get stronger,faster and tougher and that solutation was Rin.

They might be just scrubs now and I don't see goblins archieving great power levels ever, but it would been kind a nice to make our current mooks stronger.
I wanted more goblins to come with us, so they could become more competent, to witness with their own ideas how things worked outside their little forest. Who knows how Robust, Runde, Petze or boss might apply knowledge gained by simply stepping outside their little village and see how humans do?
I also wanted to grind some levels on them from inevitable combat counter with our Yolo tendacies and our monster chief experience booster for them:oops:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It's an age old debate of whether a woman should stay in the kitchen. Well, we tried that already. Nothing good ever comes out of leaving Rin in the kitchen. :M
It's true. The last time we left her to her own devices, she went nuts and attacked us. :M

treave, related question: can Rin cook?

lightbane

Arcane
Considering that she's royalty and only shows interest in Arlin whenever he cooks, I doubt it.:M

In fact, until the twins came along I'm sure both Erd and Rin had to make do with the average goblin diet. The former because he was too lazy to do it himself, and the latter because she would never admit she doesn't know to cook.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Do you want her to?
tumblr_mgch9yTGZw1radrumo1_500.jpg

Nevill

Arcane
Do you want her to?
Yes. If anything, we need non-magical means of mass murder and destruction.

Rin follows you, looking intensely at your remaining wing. “Crimson feathers that could set men on fire, huh?” Then she looks at your halo. “A circle of light that fires rays of destruction, eh?” Finally, she concludes: “I’m a bit jealous.”
She is jealous and would like a nice weapon of her own. When you point out her axe, she says that doesn't count since it's not a 'real' weapon.
They know she's a demon but it was less terrifying to them than you being an angel. Rin is still a bit unhappy about that.
Really, though, it seems like we are consistently getting the better part of the deal - bigger wings with bitching special effects, cool evil and cursed weapons of mayhem, and people are much more terrified of us than of any demon. And we seem to be more competent in everything (which is not saying much, but still).

I just want our murdersis to get a chance to shine before she goes and does something stupid, because people/demons in their teens and inferiority complex do not mesh well. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Is this particular vote that confusing? :?
It split into two where people had to redo their previous votes and we didn't hear from about a third of them again...

Maybe? :M

Also, a question:
Your strength as a fledgling leader of monsterkind is such that it leaks into the environment and blesses all non-human creatures in your vicinity with the ability to grow stronger at a faster rate.
Does it affect all non-humans? Including already strong ones, like Rin or that Methussian angel if we happen to meet her?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I put the word free-form there for a reason. You guys were in no way limited to picking the named characters.

Oh well, I'll lock it in for Rin, Aria, Arlin and Runde then.

Nevill

Arcane
My impression was that most people wanted to travel lightly and didn't want to take a goblin squad through the town. :)

As a suggestion for the future, perhaps it would work better and be less confusing with a 50% quorum system. For example:
Smashing Axe - Aria, Arlin, Runde, 5 Elites
Rex Feral - Aria, Arlin, Rin, 5 Elites
Jester - All of the goblins
Storyfag - Runde, Robust, Boss, 2 Elites
Kipeci - Not Rin! (The rest is irrelevant)
FrankHamilton - Aria, Arlin, Runde
Kz3r0 - No goblins. (The rest is irrelevant)
Lambchop19 - Aria, Rin
Esquilax - Rin, Runde, Robust, 2 Elites
Nevill - Rin :hug:

Aria - 4/8 - pass (Kipeci and Kz3r0 are not counted towards max, since they are ambivalent on the matter)
Arlin - 3/8 - fail (Lambchop didn't vote for Arlin)
Rin - 4/9 - fail (Kz3r0 is not counted towards max, but Kipeci is, since he expressed his vote in that regard)
Runde - 5/9 - pass (Kipeci is not counted towards max, but Kz3r0 is, and Jester's vote counts towards him as well)
Robust - 3/9 fail
Boss - 2/9 fail
Elites - 5/9 - pass, (3 votes for 5, 2 votes for 2, the former option wins)
It is really not too complicated, and if people see their option is not winning, there is always a preliminary count when they can flop to something that has a chance to win.

It should provide a sufficiently robust mechanics to interpret the freeform votes of this type.

Last edited:

I put the word free-form there for a reason. You guys were in no way limited to picking the named characters.

Oh well, I'll lock it in for Rin, Aria, Arlin and Runde then.
In fairness, dragging around a small army of goblins may not be taken well by the locals - not to say that the current choices won't blow up in our faces either though.

lightbane

Arcane
Wait, is that an option? If so, flipping my companions vote to:
3: Rinnefiela, Aria, Arlin, Runde, the village's priest. Just to see what will happen with this dangerous combination.

It's too late. The votes are locked in. Otherwise: Rinnefiela, Aria, Arlin, Runde, the village's priest, Farmer Screwscows :M

Nevill

Arcane
You could have asked for the village priest.
We can comandeer people from the village? I know they technically can't refuse us, but it didn't even cross my mind since we didn't claim ownership of Erise or offer them our protection. :?

Would have been fun to install him as the High Priest of Yuiria. :lol:

Rinnefiela, Aria, Arlin, Runde, the village's priest
Yiss, count me in. Without the farmer, though. No one screws our cows but... eh, just without the farmer. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It is no longer an option, but you could have asked for him to be your guide in the capital since he was from there after all.

Well, this just means free-form should rightfully be reserved for those rare occasions where you get to make big plans. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Hey, if we can grab random people from the streets and add them to our circus, I vote to grab any and all good looking girls we find along the road.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom