Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jul 20, 2015.

1. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Click here and disable ads!
    Chapter List:

Prologue: The Man Who Slew the Demon Lord

1. The Last Campfire
    2. Demon Lord's Castle
    3. The Final Battle
    4. An Offering to the King of Demons
    5. The Hero's Destiny

Chapter One: A New World
    1. Rebirth
    2. Awakening in the Ruins
    3. An Unexpected Reunion
    4. Lightning Storm
    5. Oath of Partnership
    6. Scouting Party
    7. Approach the Camp
    8. Skirmish at Base Camp
    9. Kitchen Interrogations
    10. Slaughter at Erise
    11. Prince of the Kingdom
    12. Commencement of Battle
    12A. Interlude: Rinnefiela's Dream
    13. Battle of Erise Village
    14. Magic Canceller
    15. Gratitude
    16. An Unexpected Interruption
    17. Altered Lightning

Intermission: Return to the Seven Kingdoms

Chapter Two: Foundation
    1. After the Battle
    2. The Gauntlet of Barbatos
    3. The Great Bandit King
    4. Mining Town Ontoglia
    5. Rumours of Zayan
    6. The Next Move
    7. The Governor's Dilemma
    8. Talal and Zayan
    8A. Interlude: The Methussian Factbook
    9. Royal Invitation
    10. The Banquet's Guests
    11. A Suggestion for Entertainment
    12. In the Spotlight
    13. Arlin's First Duel
    14. Stepping Up
    15. A Day in Yuiria
    16. A Quick Tour
    17. Riverine Sights
    18. Meeting with a Priest
    19. The State of Grahferde
    20. Betrayal
    21. The Second Trip
    22. To Catch A Fish
    23. Slime Assault
    24. New Intruders
    25. Turbulence
    26. The Black Slime Attacks
    27. A Goo Deal
    28. The Dryad's Sapling
    29. Downtime
    29A. Interlude: Stories from the Past I
    29B. Interlude: Amesdan the Bold
    30. The Governor, Again
    31. Eyes of the Blind
    32. The Bandit's Daughter
    33. In the Windmill
    34. Hastwell's Request
    35. Fleeing Snakes
    36. Serpent's Capture
    37. Last Weeks
    38. Adventurers' Advent

Intermission: A Council of Nobles

Chapter Three: Adventurers and Grahferde
    1. Preparations
    2. Aria's Adventures I
    3. Aria's Adventures II
    4. Aria's Adventures III
    5. Intervention
    6. The Dark Lord Arrives

Intermission: The Way Home

Chapter Four: The Reformatory
    1. The Gray Tower
    2. Reformation, Rehabilitation
    3. Prisoner 24601
    4. Voting Game
    5. The First Day
    6. The Second Day
    7. A Tame Ending
    8. The Deal
    9. Wall

Chapter Five: Kindlings and Ashes of Empires
    1. Monument to Glory
    2. Defense of the Dark Tower
    3. Clearing the Walls
    4. Marquis of the Kingdom
    5. Energy Crisis
    6. Return to Yuiria
    7. The Death of Yuiria
    8. Beatdown

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  2. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Character Sheet

---
    Erdrick Mercant
    Lv. 50 Hero
    Vitality: B
    Mana: B
    Physical Attack: B (B+)
    Physical Defence: B (B++)
    Magical Attack: B
    Magical Defence: B (B++)
    Agility: B (B+)
    Charisma: B

---

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  3. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    The Last Campfire

The embers whirl and dance away, carried by the cold wind. Like the fire burning fiercely in the ring of stones, the chattering of your comrades is infused with warmth. Yet underneath their cheerful, carefree words, you can hear a tinge of uncertainty. It is not a mark against their courage: to have ventured this far into the Netherworld means that every single one of them possessed the courage of a hundred men. It is an uncertainty borne of the fact that the foe you must soon face is deadlier and stronger than anything you have ever fought. After all, they do not call him the Demon Lord for nothing.

From his throne atop the black spire, the Demon Lord commands his legions of fiends to pillage and plunder the human world. He is a creature filled with the blackest malice, the embodiment of evil itself. In their time of need, man begged the skies for aid. The three goddesses that created the world and spun its fate answered man’s call, and selected from their ranks a Hero. A champion of the light. The sword that would drive back the darkness.

At least, that was how the prophecy went. High Priest Ardunnos at the Temple of the Fates had been quite adamant that his dream – filled, unsurprisingly, with nubile maidens in sheer gossamer cloth attending to gorgeous goddesses – was a prophecy from the gods. And so the Seven Kingdoms of Man had begun searching for a hero to save them: a champion that fulfilled the requirements of the Goddesses’ Prophecy. You remember the day that the emissaries came knocking at your door, the day when they revealed that you were one of the hero candidates.

A. As a member of nobility, you had been accorded the best education that money could buy in both swordsmanship and magic. A life of luxury afforded you many benefits, and to your family’s pleasure, they were not wasted on you. Your innate talent meant that you soon exceeded your peers, and as the war against the demons dragged on, it did not take long for hopeful eyes to turn towards you.

B. You were one of many to leave your struggling village for the capital, hoping to find a better life. There, against all odds, you were accepted into the famous Order of the White Falcon. They were an esteemed group of knights who had a long tradition of loyal service. You soon proved yourself as one of the best squires in the fortress, even besting some older knights in practice.

C. Your village was one of the first to be destroyed by the demon army. Orphaned at a young age, you were picked up by a band of roaming mercenaries. You spent your early years knowing only war, and nothing else. Thankfully, your luck turned for the better when you were bested by the greatest swordsman of the age. Impressed by your skill, he spared you and made you his disciple.

D. You lived the comfortable life of a merchant’s son, but your interests had always been towards scholarly pursuits and less about the chase for money – although you were no less talented in that field. Your family was kind and supportive, allowing you to take your own path. You did. You became the youngest graduate of the capital’s most prestigious academy, and a skilled magical researcher in your own right.

You met the others soon after that, and you had been together since. A motley crew that had been full of conflicting egos and dysfunctional personalities at the start… but the fires of battle have forged a bond that you have come to appreciate. You look at each of your friends in turn, while they sit around the campfire and talk.

“To be frank, I am not sure whether I dread the coming confrontation more, or its aftermath. As the leader of the Seven Kingdoms, my father will surely have me busy with the victory celebrations for months to come!” jokes Kyle Theseon. The dashing young knight – said by many be the most talented fighter in generations – is also royalty: the third son of Emperor Gradio Theseon. He had not gotten along with you at first, but saving each other's lives had soon put that feeling to rest.

“Celebrations are a fine thing, Master Theseon.” Althus, the protégé of High Priest Ardunnos and renowned warrior of faith, clasps his hands together as if in prayer. “It would be a good opportunity to give thanks to the goddesses for our success.”

“Aren’t y’all talking a bit too quick about success?” drawls the mysterious rogue, Syke Nimfeet. He has never spoken about his origins, but his mastery of stealth and poisons has bailed your group out of many tricky situations over the past year. “Of course, retirement’s good and all, but we gotta live first. Retiring to the grave ain’t in my plans.”

Kyle laughs. “Do not be so pessimistic, Syke! We will be victorious on the morrow, I am sure of it!” He glances at you askew and adds, “After all, we have the Hero, Fate’s Chosen, with us in battle!”

“Indeed,” nods Althus. “Atropos herself has decreed that our threads are to last beyond the battle with the Demon Lord, for it is his thread that shall be cut in our confrontation. Put more faith in your creators, Nimfeet.”

“Alright, alright. I know not to get into another of these debates with ya, Althus,” chuckles Syke. “Right, Lobelia, m’dear?”

The wizard scowls at him when he mentions her name. “Do not drag me into this.” But even the full, icy glare of one of the Nine Archmagi of the Tower, the most powerful magic organization in the world, is insufficient to smother Syke Nimfeet’s wide, cocky grin.

You see Rurik Magnussen shaking his head gently, his beard covering a faint smile. He catches your gaze and winks, demonstrating sharp instincts undulled by age. The master bowman is the oldest one here, and has constantly been a source of stability when all hope seemed lost. That he has not said anything so far means that he knows they are engaging in nothing more than banter.

All of them had their reasons for coming this far. So did those that had fallen along the way. Layla. Rennock. Talley. You still remember their deaths clearly, and the vows that everyone made: that those who remained would fulfill the wishes of those who had departed.

“You don’t seem to be particularly chatty tonight. Worrying about the dead again?” A tap on your shoulder gets your attention. It is Mieren Zaos, the wandering martial artist from the north who could match knights with her bare hands and feet. The wild, freezing lands there were beyond the rule of the Seven Kingdoms, inhabited by fierce, independent tribes. You had to wonder – just how did the emissaries pick a girl like this as a hero candidate? Watching your expression keenly, Mieren snaps, “Hey, you were thinking something rude about me, weren’t you?” She tosses her head in that distinctive, familiar way, her auburn hair glinting in the firelight.

“No, not at all,” you reply lightly. “I was just trying to remember what I was thinking when I joined up.”

As far as you could remember, at the time, your thoughts were of…

A. Justice. The suffering of the people must come to an end. You will lead humanity’s fight against evil in order to bring justice to the Demon Lord and his fiendish army. His reign of terror must come to an end, and you will be the one to do it.

B. Glory. Honour and glory. It would be a good way to prove yourself and increase your standing in the world. A hero would go very, very far in the power structure of the Seven Kingdoms. A messianic hero, even more so.

C. Materialistic needs. Money, women, and more money, not necessarily in that order, and more women wouldn’t hurt, either. Surely they will reward a hero handsomely. You are sure that you will be swimming in more than one type of booty if you survive.

D. Reluctance. If it were left up to you, you couldn’t even be arsed to lift your arse up and save the world. Let the world save itself for once, you have better things to do! But unfortunately, the amount of spears aimed at your neck has given you no choice.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    :bounce:
    CB
    The story of an nobody rising to the top, wanting to become more. Hell yes.

^ Top  
  5. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Mercenary life is our call. We've been a noble warrior, a peasant descendant, a loyalist, even an aristocrat. But we are yet to be an outright amoral merc.

I hope we kept some of our old habits even under that swordsman's tutelage.

Money, wine and women. What else could a mercenary ask for? Life is short, and a life of war is even shorter. You must make the most of it, and as far as rewards go, justice, glory and honor just don't come close.

A messiah? Pah! Leave that stuff to paladins and their ilk.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    Nah, between wanting to have more and wanting to be more, I'll take the latter. Wealth, women, power, all of it comes to great men. And to be great, one must be exalted.

Show Spoiler
    Pride over greed, in essence.

^ Top  
  7. Esquilaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Esquilax
    Parrots:
    GOAT DOCTOR, you cunts! I've waited years for this! I swear, if we go for that faggoty Tsun-Dragon-Rabbit bullshit, I will vote the exact opposite of each of you at the same time (I'll make it work somehow, believe me!) purely out of spite.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Messianic hero I am not, and never was.

Nobles might care about pride, my merc hero cares more about staying alive to spend his pay, and being on the giving end, not the receiving one.

What use an exalted one would have for wealth, women and power? Depriving yourself of the ability to revel in simple pleasures is folly. Eventually, you could have more, you could have everything - but what's the point if you become unable to enjoy in along the way?

Look at that high and mighty wench of an archmage, so full of herself. She has nothing on the rogue. What's the fun in living like that?

Missed your chance with Spiral. Your fault.

^ Top  
  9. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    DD would probably be the closest you can get to that here, though this choice is more about the mindset the character started his journey with. Now, at the end of the road, he might feel differently.

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    Cause the greater you are, the greater the rewards. I don't want us to be in a mentality of 'more of the same,' I want is to be in a mentality that will take us places.

^ Top  
  11. m4davisgender: ⚧ Scholar

m4davis
    Parrots:
    CB is the choice that appeals to me.

^ Top  
  12. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Glory seekers are usually taken to the graveyard. Then the guys like me dance on their graves while drunk.

Serves them right, the fools!

^ Top  
  13. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    DC.

By 'magics', I hope we mean counterfeit operations, manipulation of states of consciousness, and sure, why not, gossamer thread women summoning.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    Except that those who succeed have graves that rival palaces. We are going to die eventually anyway (no, seriously, Overlord or not, no one lives forever), so why not make the most of our time here and go for gold. Why fuck cheap hookers our whole life, when we can fuck slutty princesses and drink expensive whisky? There is no reason to settle for quiet mediocrity.

^ Top  
  16. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Yes, such a character could have been secretly abusing his knowledge of magic theory to smuggle counterfeited magic items in the black market. Also counterfeited gossamer-threaded women. Low cost, high profit. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Esquilaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Esquilax
    Parrots:
    I like the idea of a rough merc who came up from the gutter and is all about money and bitches. A cynical, tough, smart dude who's just trying to survive out there in a harsh world. Fuck the glory, just give me some wine and a buxom wench.

AB

^ Top  
  18. Esquilaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Esquilax
    Parrots:
    What about AC? That sounds like the ultimate Jew. Fuck it, playing Gordon Gecko sounds like a lot of fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    He'd be more of a hedonistic Rockefeller than a Gordon Gecko, I think, with invested interests in every part of the economy. Leverages his aristocratic connections for money and women, and leverages his money and women for more connections.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    We're counting the votes in blocs, right?

^ Top  
  21. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Should we? :M

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    I think so, yeah.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Esquilaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Esquilax
    Parrots:
    No, for this LP to become a smashing success, we need to start by generating as much butthurt as possible. For starters, we need about twenty pages of character creation arguments spanning over a week. Then, you count the votes individually, to ensure that a combination that was least likely to be chosen gets picked, thereby producing the greatest amount of butthurt possible, fueling this CYOA to ever greater heights.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. treavegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

treave
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Nothing like starting things off with a bang, but what if I said that character creation begins after the prologue ends? :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. tindrligender: ⚧ Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:
    CC

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)