Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
My thoughts so far.
A- stupid and risky, which means it's moronic. I mean, really? "Let's charge into the middle of a horde of genetically enhanced humans, in the middle of whom there is a Gieloth, who is also most likely either a psyker or elementalist, flanked by another Gieloth, who is either a battlefield commander, or, worse yet, fucking Edem, son of "Mindfucker" Nabu. Ololo, EMPRAH!" Seriously?

B- "Save the Gutians." Can horribly, terribly backfire, because Astartes and two Gieloth, both of whom are most likely not weaklings, and not retarded. Bloodshifter: Nope, it's not Sekhenun. Ean knows her signature, definitely not her. It also has us risking revealing ourselves way too soon. I mean, when Marduk hears about someone killing a whole squad of Astartes single-handedly and rallying the Gutians, and thereupon proceeding to rally the whole Gutian people, he'll immediately realize it's an Immortal and connect the dots with the other two murders, and most likely cancel his trip to Egypt.
And if he, by any chance, figures out that it is Ean, expect this.
crazy_laugh.jpg
: Splendid. Followed shortly by your choice of insane laughter.
On the flip side, if it succeeds, and it most likely will, we will have an entire peoples at our back and another legend. Again, at the cost of revealing ourselves and our hand. Not the most ideal result, but it puts Ean back in his preferred area: Leader of Man and Armies. We can also probably kiss our own Astartes goodbye.

C- The cautious way. This is gathering intel at the cost of precious, precious time. We'll be able to make an informed, intelligent decision, at the cost of lives and the Gutians' cohesion, and possibly their King as well. But, in this way, we will be in a better position to keep the conspiracy secret,as Gudersu will probably die on the battlefield. Please, please tell me that Ean did not go blabbering about it to the whole village.

treave: I like the masterful troll you pulled there, bro. "You thought this was going to have a happy ending, right?You thought this was going to be easy, huh? Get two thousand soldiers, get laid and go back to Sekhenun, right. SIC! Had you going there, didn't I?"

oscar

Arcane
B. Rally the men. Our main advantage here is being a psychic blank so we should be able to catch at least one of the Geloth off guard with the Guitans fighting properly.

Esquilax

Arcane
Baltika9: Marduk is still in Sumeria, so maintaining secrecy before he leaves is really the only thing that matters. But how would C be better for maintaining secrecy? What would we have to do: kill every single Babylonian soldier and Gieloth attacking the village to keep our actions a secret? Marduk would figure that out. I am in favour of whatever choice ensures our secrecy, but I can't decide which one that would be.

I am betting that the unknown Gieloth is Ramman. We have seen in Tjaru that Gieloth like to pair up based on complementary abilities (i.e. Baran is the brawny warrior, Nabu is the psyker), so it's likely someone who has martial might or a different skill set to compensate for Nusku's lack of combat abilities. I agree that A is a bad idea, but Nusku should probably be avoided not because the choice is risky, but because he's probably not much of a direct combat threat, so it's a waste of time.

Oh yeah, if our unknown Gieloth is Mindfucker Jr., then isn't it smarter to just rally the men? Ean's attributes as a blank would make him a huge fucking pain in the ass for any psyker to deal with, especially with hundreds of men on the battlefield. Edem wouldn't even be able to discern where Ean is until it was too late.

Let's do a quick rundown of who our mystery Gieloth might be:

Shamash – Almost certainly going to Greece. You don't put your best general and right-hand man on the bench.
Ahati – Very tough opponent, Sek said she'd probably stay, seems to be the brawny type. Could be her.
Ramman – Very likely it's him. Sek mentioned he would stay, which makes sense since he did a good job of destroying Astarth's army before. He is far away from Nusku at the moment, and I think it's because he wants to be in position to unleash his shadow powers on the Gutians to prevent any of them from escaping. The Gieloth we fought at Tuwanu did the same thing.
Nusku – a Gieloth more interested in experiments than in conquest. Has figured out a way to give normal humans some form of Gieloth powers.
Mehlu – a Gieloth hailing from the Indus Valley, who has been made a general for participating bravely in the successful defeat of his brethren.
Edem – Possible. But I definitely don't want to go wandering on our own to find out. Better to have a few hundred warriors to cover our approach before we pounce on him. However, this guy is Marduk's strongest, so I am not sure why he'd be here to begin with and not preparing to leave for Greece right now with the big man.
Adapa, Balasi, Gamil – If it's one of them, then I will be pissed because it means a bunch of Gutians will have died for nothing. I doubt only one of them would come here, considering that we've never seen them apart so far. They're practically joined at the hip.

Remember the Chapter 3 epilogue. Again, I'm pretty certain it's Ramman:

The campaign had went well at first, but once they entered the Sumerian heartland, a year after they set off from Egypt, Marduk had struck back. Rumours told of vast armies of shadow, though of course, you couldn't confirm it.

Baltika9

Arcane
All I'm saying is, we begin to play general, we get noticed. Somebody starts shouting Ean, that's one piece of the puzzle for Marduk to work with.
If we pick C, we stay incognito until the next update.

Esquilax

Arcane
All I'm saying is, we begin to play general, we get noticed. Somebody starts shouting Ean, that's one piece of the puzzle for Marduk to work with.
If we pick C, we stay incognito until the next update.

OK, that makes sense. I edited my original post to vote C. If we want to maintain secrecy, both Gieloth have to be eliminated. If we start playing general, I am pretty certain we can get one of them, but I very much doubt that we'll be able to get both of them. One of them will manage to escape, they'll tell Marduk (that Gieloth communication network is a wonderful thing, isn't it?), and this whole plan that we've spent time carefully constructing will unravel. We're on the threshold of realizing our goal, it's so close.

I really don't want to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like we did with Theseus. We really can't afford to reveal ourselves until we're sure that Marduk is stuck in Greece and unable to get back.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C - I have a feeling this hidden one is more dangerous - rather like the tower was in the siege.

edit: Probably Ahati, btw. Nusku's here for raw material and she's along for late night a snack.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A - 1
BBBBBBBBB - 9
C - 8

Chapter 5.8: Contingency Plan

You find Gudersu struggling against a Babylonian. With one arm injured, he is unable to fight effectively, his body pummeled around by the soldier. You concentrate and grip the soldier’s throat with your own powers. The man chokes, and as he tries to turn his head to look at you, you snap his neck with a thought. You run over to Gudersu and help him to his feet.

“What in blazes is going on here? Where are the kids?”

“I have Iltani looking after them. We must hurry and rally your men. Once they fight together, they can beat these soldiers by numbers. Divided, you stand no chance.”
Gudersu nods, a grim look on his face. You follow him as he strides through the village, bellowing challenges and battle cries with his loud voice. His men cheer as they see him. You stick to him, close as a shadow, leaving only to dispatch Babylonian soldiers that got in your way. The experiments were powerful compared to a normal human, but they were utter novices at using their strengths. As you fight through the village, more and more Gutian warriors join you.

The Babylonians were very disorganized, more focused on capturing targets than on actual fighting. It did not take much work for you to point out to the Gutians how to work together to distract and defeat one. They learnt fast… by the time you reached the village square again, Nusku was left only with the four guards for his palanquin. The other Gieloth you sensed earlier had vanished from your senses quite some time ago; you hope it isn’t still around.

Nusku’s face started fluttering about as he looked around him. He was surrounded on all sides by men and steel. Angry men.

“Edem! Help me, Edem!” he screams.

You begin pacing around the crowd, concealing your presence. Edem… that is the offspring of the Gieloth I defeated at Tjaru, was it not?

“Marduk will have your head for this, Edem!” Nusku’s thin voice gets higher in pitch as he wails angrily. Waving his hands, he concentrates for a bit. A large psychic wave washes over the crowd. The Gutians did not seem to notice it, but you were dizzied by the force for a bit.

“Oh, for fuck’s sake.” said someone testily.

At the center of the square, standing at the edge of the crowd behind Nusku, was an old man. Nusku turned around triumphantly and glared at the man. “Get me out of this mess. You brought me here.”

The old man sighs and scratches his bald head. He walks out in front of Nusku slowly, deliberately, and scans the crowd. The moment his eyes meet yours, you feel a tingle in your mind.

There you are.

Mentally, he sounded young and boyish despite the aged appearance and voice that he had. You wonder how he had found you.

Edem, I presume?

Yeah, of course. You should’ve just gone over and murdered him when I left him in the square. Now we’re all in a bind.

The old man – Edem – speaks up, his physical voice as crotchety as his appearance. “A trade of hostages, for our safety then?”

“What hostages?” shouts a Gutian angrily.

Edem snaps his fingers, and the crowd murmurs as a woman and two children push their way forward to stand besides him.

“No. No!” Gudersu shouts and charges forward. The crowd surges forward with him, but they all stop dead in their tracks. Iltani was holding her sword to Gursu’s neck. Her eyes were blank. There were shouts of anger and dismay from the rabble.

Edem holds his hands up, speaking loudly. “Now here, I have three hostages! Let us leave peacefully – I am sure very few of your people have died –“

“They’re still dead you old ass!”

“Blood for blood!”

He chuckles, and continues, “Well, I hope we can end this night in less bloodshed then. I will return these three in return for our safe passage. It is an equivalent exchange. Three people for three.”

“There are six of you, you idiot!”
“Do you think we Gutians can’t count?”
“Blood for blood!”

Edem turns around, making a show of counting his side. Him, Nusku, and the four guards.

“You have a point.” With a snicker, he stretches out his right hand. There was a blinding flash as bolts of electricity shot forth, charring the four guards where they stood. They crumpled to the ground, taking Nusku’s palanquin down with them. The Gieloth fell with a loud yelp.

“That should even things up… no, I guess it doesn’t, there’s only two of us now. I guess we shall only need to return two hostages then? Which shall it be? The boy? The girl? That cute waif holding a sword?”

Gudersu let out a wail of anguish. His people were muttering to themselves. Edem’s display of power had left them unwilling to attack and crush him by force of numbers – that and he still had his hostages.

“How about this? I will let all three of them go, if one of you comes with us. Poor Nusku here wants his samples after all, and I’m afraid the God-King will be most displeased if he falls behind his schedule.”

Heh, looks like getting a contingency plan prepped was good thinking on my part. Hey, immortal. Volunteer.

What? You know, this scenario, with hostages and asking me to volunteer to leave with you… all this seems awfully familiar.

Are your brains defective? Volunteer, walk away from here, and once we’re far enough you can do what you were supposed to do in the first place and take this irritating bastard’s life.

What are you playing at, Edem?

You mean she didn’t tell you? For fuck’s sake... look, we have no time, Nusku is getting impatient and desperate. Hurry up and volunteer.

A. You volunteer. In the first place, you were an outsider in the tribe, and as such they might have tied you up and threw you as a sacrifice no matter Gudersu’s objections. If this will free Iltani and her siblings, you have no regrets. You can probably figure out what to do with Edem after you kill Nusku.

B. You step back and disappear from the village quietly. Going out alone with two Gieloth for a ‘walk’ is a suicidal matter, especially when you killed the father of one of them during a very similar event. It was a pity, but you would have to seek another chance. You could probably ambush Edem and Nusku after they leave, with whatever hostage they brought.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
You concentrate and grip the soldier’s throat with your own powers. The man chokes, and as he tries to turn his head to look at you, you snap his neck with a thought.

Force grip! OH GAWD ITS HEAVAN! :bounce: Can we get a black armor with a rebreather? Pwease? Pwetty pwease?

So it'd appear Sekhenun made a deal with Edem to end Nusku's life. And didnt' mention the fact to us. Maybe she fears we'd be able to use his scientific expertise instead of her own? I believe we can walk with them, but I'd much rather leave Nusku alive if possible.

A for now.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
A, let's take a leap of faith.

You mean she didn’t tell you? For fuck’s sake... look, we have no time, Nusku is getting impatient and desperate. Hurry up and volunteer./QUOTE]

Hmm ... someone is not telling us something.

A

It could be a trap, but it does look like Edem really is working with Sekhenun. It sounds like Edem is going for a promotion over Marduk's corpse.

Fucking hell, we need to rebuild honourblade as soon as we can. We are too vulnerable without it to take on the big boys right now. Let's get Sekhenun to locate the material we need for that as soon as we can.

Honourblade? Fuck that. Rebuild the weapon it was modelled on, rebuild Vajra.. :obviously:
That would be nice, but first we need to find other piece(s) of it. And who knows where we might find those. At least Sekhenun probably knows where to find the materials to rebuild the Honourblade.

Baltika9

Arcane
A. Fuck you, Sekhenun. Fuck you. You've been a bad girl, daddy's angry.​
As for the kid, I like him. Reminds me of myself a bit.

newcomer

Learned
A. Bad Sekhe, now let's play a little punishment game :smug:

For the Vajra, are you sure that we can still use it?

Baltika9

Arcane
I have a hunch that Edem. and Sekhenun are related in some way. Brother/sister, nephew/aunt or mother/son(in which case, MILF. I kinda hope it's the latter now).
treave: if we survive this, have Ean ask him what house he is from.

I don't get what Sekhenun was trying to do here. She makes a deal with Edem to off Nusku but then forgets to tell us about it? Was she hopping we would kill Nusku and Edem? Why would she bother with that when we were already planning to kill them all anyway? Doesn't make sense.

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't get what Sekhenun was trying to do here. She makes a deal with Edem to off Nusku but then forgets to tell us about it? Was she hopping we would kill Nusku and Edem? Why would she bother with that when we were already planning to kill them all anyway? Doesn't make sense.
This situation was probably not her doing. She herself said that assassinations will have to wait until Marduk leaves. Then again, he practically left already. It is a possibility, but a slim one. The other possibilities are:
a) "Ololo, ai ihz smhart." Makes a deal with Edem, but tells us nothing because we did not make a deal. Then Edem sees this magnificent opportunity and presents Nusku on a silver platter. Likely and plausible, but I hope Sekhenun is not that fucking retarded.
b) She makes an impromptu fake deal with Edem and delivers us two Gieloth in one neat bundle. That means Marduk already left, or she changed her mind because an opportunity presented itself. Again, very likely and very smart. Very much like Sekhenun.
c) Sekhenun and the conspiracy were discovered and they are now purging Ean. Unlikely, seeing as that would bring Marduk down to the camp, but plausible.
I need some input here. Somebody who's good at theories.

From the depths of the Abyss, through the thousand twisting currents, through unfathomable distances, I summon Esquilax! Rise, rise and give me knowledge!

This situation was probably not her doing. She herself said that assassinations will have to wait until Marduk leaves. Then again, he practically left already. It is a possibility, but a slim one. The other possibilities are:
a) "Ololo, ai ihz smhart." Makes a deal with Edem, but tells us nothing because we did not make a deal. Then Edem sees this magnificent opportunity and presents Nusku on a silver platter. Likely and plausible, but I hope Sekhenun is not that fucking retarded.
b) She makes an impromptu fake deal with Edem and delivers us two Gieloth in one neat bundle. That means Marduk already left, or she changed her mind because an opportunity presented itself. Again, very likely and very smart. Very much like Sekhenun.
c) Sekhenun and the conspiracy were discovered and they are now purging Ean. Unlikely, seeing as that would bring Marduk down to the camp, but plausible.
I need some input here. Somebody who's good at theories.
I think that a) is most likely from your options. Possibly we would have learned about Edem had we taken her deal. And had we chosen to assassinate him before she would have also warned us that he is working with her (or maybe not).

In b) she would also have to make sure to tell us what she is doing to ensure that we kill both of them. Otherwise there is a very real possibility that we will believe Edem and let him live. It certainly sounds like the most reasonable course of action to me right now (unless something changes in the next update).

In c) there is no way they would send just Nusku and Edem plus a few soldiers (super or not) against an entire hostile village and us, the person that destroyed an entire army and two of Marduk’s best generals. Also, Nusku would not be ignorant of our presence and I doubt he would willingly play the bait for us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
d) Edem is playing his own game and just fucking with you. Also he is actually Shulgi. If a Gieloth can project a human presence, surely a skilled immortal can project a Gieloth presence :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
d) Edem is playing his own game and just fucking with you. Also he is actually Shulgi. If a Gieloth can project a human presence, surely a skilled immortal can project a Gieloth presence :lol:

:love:
You being serious here, treavebro?
But, yeah. It is also plausible that Edem connected the dots where Marduk didn't and decided to check his hunch. Revenge or throwing down Marduk, maybe getting rid of that annoying twat.

Esquilax

Arcane
It is I, Esquilax, terrifying creature of the Abyss: a horse, with the head of a rabbit and the body... of a rabbit.

I actually think this has been going on for a while. It was hinted that Nabu and Sekhenun knew each other and had spoken before the Battle of Tjaru:

Why, has Sekhenun not told you of me? I am surprised. I would have thought her gossipy enough to reveal all the internecine politics of the Gieloth!

You hear a slight tone of amusement, but you keep quiet.

Suffice to say, I have no love for my lord, nor the foolish little errands that he sends me out on. There are far greater concerns we should be facing than dealing with petty little Earthling squabbles.

You sigh. “Can you get to the point? I'm trying to have dinner here, if you haven't noticed.”

Sekhenun was right, you are pretty rude. Here is what I propose... I will bring you before Marduk... unbroken. Then you shall take him by surprise, and slay him.

Whatever plans Sekhenun has had in the region, I think that she has been going at this for a long time. Of course, Ean came to Egypt and chopped her head off, then he killed Nabu, which really threw a wrench in the works. It's only now that Edem is with us and we are working directly alongside her that she has the opportunity to really set whatever plans she has into motion. It's fair to assume at this point that Edem, much like his pa, doesn't really see eye to eye with Marduk. He's probably going to want our help to defeat Marduk. Edem wants the same arrangement that Nabu wanted to make.

The only thing that confuses me is why Sekhenun didn't tell us about the Gieloth going after the tribesmen if she knew that we were heading there.

Since we don't have any earthquakes to pull out of our ass at this point, we should go along with Edem and agree to volunteer. He's already spotted us in the crowd, he's going to find us if we attempt to run. Goddamnit, we should have gone after this motherfucker. This is the siege tower all over again. We would have used our status as a blank to hunt down Edem, then captured Nusku. He would turn the remaining Gutians into Space Marines, then present them to Marduk before he leaves. At that point, we would give our men the signal to swarm him and we'd fucking take him out. It would have been glorious, bros.

... or Edem would see us coming and mindrape us. Either one.

A

Baltika9

Arcane
treave: Serious question, though. Anything going on with Gieloth communications lately?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom