Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

ScubaV

Prophet
Post-flopping:

A - 9 8
Anabanana
TOME
newcomer
Esquilax
Bloodshifter
Storyfag
Urist McLurker
oscar
Tigranes

B - 9 10
Zero Credibility
Quetzacoatl
Smashing Axe
m4davis
Collage
Baltika9
ScubaV
Kipeci
Kattze
Esquilax

Anabanana

Augur
Ean has never taken the easy way out

Excluding, of course, that fairly recent choice where he left innocent people to suffer at the hands of Aphrodite. Oh, and foisting off love potions on innocent people when the hard but honorable way would've been to suck it up and get hit on by a creepy old man. Character development!

I think we can take this thing on as long as we act in the moment and fight as a team.

Even if we get our shit together, I really doubt that Theseus is going to calm down and start fighting smartly. In fact, if we start fighting more aggressively, it's probably just going to make him even more reckless and suicidal. The way I see it, Theseus is fucked either way, so we might as well take the option that doesn't involve us dying a horrible, messy permadeath. I rather like this LP, and I would be sad to see it end now that I've finally caught up with it. :(

Ean has never taken the easy way out

Excluding, of course, that fairly recent choice where he left innocent people to suffer at the hands of Aphrodite. Oh, and foisting off love potions on innocent people when the hard but honorable way would've been to suck it up and get hit on by a creepy old man. Character development!
I don't think those we left with Aphrodite are suffering much - at most they are being mind controlled to please the ego of that bitch. Not exactly a pleasant fate, but much better then some I could imagine. And the chief handmaiden certainly didn't have any problems with us being in the same position. Plus, I'm (and plenty of others when we voted were) in favor of returning to Aphrodite when we restore our powers for a second round. As for the love potion effects, saving Theseus would go a long way to repair some of the damage we might have caused with that.

Now compare those situations with the sacrifices we made to make sure Egypt was safe. Or when we were fighting Sekhenun for the first time - what was our priority, her or our allies? Or when we were left powerless, did we not almost died fighting the last Gieloth in Egypt? Did we not just spend 80 years fighting the good fight wherever we were needed? Let's face it, for better or worse Codex has shaped this guy into a classical hero. And I kind of like it that way.

I think we can take this thing on as long as we act in the moment and fight as a team.

Even if we get our shit together, I really doubt that Theseus is going to calm down and start fighting smartly. In fact, if we start fighting more aggressively, it's probably just going to make him even more reckless and suicidal. The way I see it, Theseus is fucked either way, so we might as well take the option that doesn't involve us dying a horrible, messy permadeath. I rather like this LP, and I would be sad to see it end now that I've finally caught up with it. :(
I don't think either of these choices are going to end in permadeath (or at least I hope they wont - I really wish this LP to continue). And I think Theseus has been knocked around enough by now to realize he needs to work with us if he wishes to get out of here alive.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Flopping to B. Did not notice this
B has you getting the Minotaur's attention, with all the risks that entails for whatever you do next.

Remember, this is a creature that Theseus could have defeated on his own if his head was in the game.

Where do you get this? This is Treave's game and it might not go as our mythology goes. Maybe the result (Story of Theseus killing the minotaur passed down to later generations) is the same but everything else might differ.

oscar

Arcane
Flipping to B as well. It's time to prove that w'ere brave and capable of being a BRO without our powers.

kazgar

Arcane
We still have the honourblade, and if we work as a team and outthink the minotaur, everything will be glorious (or painful but even that's glorious)

kaizoku

Arcane
tl, dr (yet)

I'm curious. Is this from any CYOA book, or is it all from your imagination?

oscar

Arcane
I vaguely conceptualised a similar idea for a CYOA, though it was more of a Highlander knock-off than the theme of aliens using humans in their proxy wars that this seems to have.

Project: Eternity
The big question is if we think that the powers we regain after getting close to the statue are more or less than the strength offered by Theseus. If working with Theseus gives us the best shot of victory then it is a no-brainer. If getting the statue would give us the ability to solo it then that is another question, and one we don't have the answer to.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry for the delay, was stuck without a computer to work with. Looks like B has it.

Chapter 4.8: Power

The choice was simple. You picked up the thread and threw yourself at the Minotaur to prevent it from smashing Theseus into pulp. Darting in between the mindless, brutal attacks of the beast, you harry it with quick slashes that are meant only to get its attention. You know that striking hard at your current strength wouldn’t be sufficient, and would only serve to slow you down enough for the Minotaur to actually hit you once – which is all it needed. Your muscles were already groaning from the effort of constantly leaping about, however, and you don’t know how long you could keep it up. It was only a matter of time before that axe split you apart. Theseus, regaining his breath, looks around the chamber.

“Runi!” he yells. “Lead it to the passageway right behind you. The traps! Use the traps!”

The trapped corridors. You take one last swing at the Minotaur, and begin backing away swiftly. As expected, the dumb brute comes after you. You move into the corridor, watching your step. So did the Minotaur. You gawk. It appears to be able to see where the trapped stones are, and steps around them with lumbering strides. The corridor wasn’t narrow enough that it couldn’t continue attacking, and you realize that the confined space allowed you even less space to dodge its attacks. It didn’t need to move much to generate enough force to pulverize you. You duck another powerful slash, and reply with a quick cut across its wrist. Just then, your luck runs out. Your fatigue catches up with you, and you slow down for the briefest of moments… and the Minotaur grabs your body with its huge fist. Immediately you feel a crushing pressure on your body; your bones creak, your organs squirm, and you scream. It raises you to its face. The bull’s jaws open wide, and you can smell the fetid stench of its breath.

You raise your sword arm, Honourblade in hand, and in a last desperate act of defiance you thrust it at the Minotaur’s head. It catches the blade in its eye. The beast bellows and squeezes down tightly with its fist. Your torso goes to mush, and you scream again and again. The pain is unlike anything you’ve ever felt. It hurls you down the corridor – you fly and splat against a nearby wall. You cannot move. Your body is done for. Your organs are crushed. You think you can see your legs at a considerably different angle from your body. You just wonder why you aren’t dead yet, why the pain hasn’t robbed you of all your senses. Hearing a loud bellow, you watch as the enraged Minotaur charges down the corridor at you, bleeding profusely from one eye.

It forgets to watch its step.

Well, the stone was in its new blind-spot anyway.

There is a click.

A solid block of stone slams down on the Minotaur, ignoring its monstrous strength. The head of the bull pops off and rolls to your side. Even in death its rage-filled visage was hideous.

As the trap raises, you see Theseus walking towards you. Looking down at you with pity and sorrow, he searches through your smashed body for the thread, which he pockets. Then, he picks up the bull’s head with some difficulty. You manage to open your mouth, croaking out a word. “…statuette.” If he managed to bring it to you, you might have a chance of regenerating. Theseus closes his eyes. He appears to be struggling with himself. His hands balls into fists and tremble. When he opens his eyes, they are blank.

“I’m sorry. You were a brave fighter, but I love Ariadne far too much to risk my life any further.” He picks up the Honourblade, fallen by your side. “All I can give you now is a quick death.” And with that, he drives it through your neck, and you know no more.

Well, looks like you couldn’t last without us, kid.

A voice breaks the solitude of the darkness. No… many voices.

“How are you guys talking to me?”

I suppose you could say that you’re nearly as dead as we are.
That’s why you can perceive us.

“I’m dead, then?”

Almost. There’s that littlest spark of you still living. Good thing it got stuck in your body.
Guess where it is?

Even before they finish speaking, you know.

“The Honourblade. You’ve been watching me?”

We’ve been asleep, mostly, but your memories are easily accessed.
Well, boy, to be honest, if you die, we do die with you. There doesn’t seem to be any other way out of this…
That sword of yours was designed by those tendriled monsters. It works as they do.
It can give you one last shot. Here, we'll show you.

You feel a sudden hunger. The urge to devour permeates your very essence.

Eat us.

“What?”

You’ve been a really kind lad, and this is why we’re making this offer. Consume us.
Sure, this is going to bring down a shit load of attention on you from the masters AND the Gieloth, but we think you’ve always done the right thing… or at least, tried to. We think you can handle this.
You deserve another chance. For old time’s sake.

“How’s this going to help… me eating you?” The hunger is getting stronger.

Oh, we don’t really know. At best it will use our energy to spark your little Gieloth-made toy to full life, which in turn brings you back to life due to the conduit between you and the sword.
At worst you die. Which is what’s going to happen anyway.
You mean, at worst he becomes an undead abomination bent on devouring all in his path.
That’s a very very low probability, not even worth mentioning!
We really don’t know exactly what will happen, however. Never been tried, all theoretical!

You think for a minute. “And you will die? You’ll give up your energy so that I can live?”

Yeah, we won’t be around anymore. But we know exactly what type of person you are, and that’s why we think you can be entrusted with the power we have.
We’re a really bad batch, y’know. Rebellious and shit. You showed us with that Sekhenun incident that true defiance was possible. Kept us thinking for quite a while.

The voices laugh.

So, what’ll it be? A chance at life, or eternal rest?

A. New life, new power, another chance at setting things right on this painful world – you will pay the price to gain it. You succumb to the hunger and devour the willing voices, killing them in return for power. They will live on, eternally, as part of you - they would die uselessly anyway. You refuse to die here, rotting where no man will ever find you.

B. You are tired. You have no real purpose. Every good deed you have done is transient, easily undone. This world does not need you. There will be other immortals. There might even be other good immortals, but that does not concern you. At any rate, to ask the voices to sacrifice themselves for your folly is unthinkable. You will go with them into death, and take your eternal rest within the Labyrinth of Crete.

newcomer

Learned
Eat that, you Theseus-loving "bro" (No offense meant)

Is there even any need to choose I wonder?

A

:bro: for treave and his EPIC story! No way I'll let it end like this

And it turns out that we did the right thing choosing the Honourblade over the laser beams

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, but with the other powers you might not have ended up here, powerless, in the first place.

At any rate, this is another 'principled' choice. Devour the voices which have granted you power, regardless of the consequences, or make your peace with your impending death.

Remember, even the voices don't know what is exactly going to be happening if you eat them, they're just conjecturing, pragmatically, that you have nothing left to lose.

newcomer

Learned
Well, theoritically there's an extremely slim chance that Sekhenum will come with the statuette, or revive us from the Honourblade, but I don't believe in dumb luck like that...

And for some reasons, I keep thinking that Ean will be reborn as a certain species of black-tendrilled monster..

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A

We're already going to be at odds with the masters because of what we did with Ra's scepter and I don't want to let Ean die at the hands of a beast and a love-struck moron. The voices have been bros, but they did kill a bunch of people and invade our body without our permission. And like the choice says, "They will live on, eternally, as part of you - they would die uselessly anyway." Plus after we eat them we'll know how to eat others like Shulgi, Naram etc.

Baltika9

Arcane
A.
Bros, I trust all of us will make the right choice here.
Ean is dead. His shackles are broken.
File:Majestica.jpg
ALL HAIL THE GOD EMPEROR OF MANKIND!!!

Well shit again.

Voting A. There is no other choice if B means the end of this LP. And what would be the point if the Voices die with us anyway? Also, so much for bros before hoes.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A

This is interesting. So if we weren't heroic and defiant the voices would have never offered us this opportunity, that is, assuming we died (Which we wouldn't have). It's a shame it went like this, I regret relying on the broness of bros. Who knew Thesseus would be such a dick. Oh well.

Oh, and can anyone say Akachi?

newcomer

Learned
I told you so, there is a chance that we will get the killing blow (well, technically the trap) and cause Theseus to kill us :decline:

Remember that we also won't get this choice if Theseus decided that the Honourblade is a rare artifact weapon of the demigod Runi...

Oh btw treave

At the beginning of this CYOA, you mentioned that we will play as the voice. Assuming that A causes Ean to live, I hope that Ean wouldn't be some sort of NPC, if you get what I mean...

Oh, and if my prediction is correct (Ean becomes a Gieloth), +1 for eating Theseus & taking the Minos harem (+ Sekhenum :incline: )

Another wild theory:
Now it's starting to make sense, the Gieloth are eating "something" from humans. And the masters were depicted as "God / gods". So it turns out that the Gieloth eat souls, the masters are some sort of livegiver and thus see the Gieloth as "weed" that prevents his "soul garden" from growing. Now our hero of humanity will have to eat the humanity he tried to save... Well let's settle for lesser beings you might say, but I guess that wouldn't cut it (may cause weakening of power).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom