Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

XenomorphII

Prophet
A

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
How much of his military did the king leave behind when he went to war? Just trying to work out what assets the rebels could possibly have.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How much of his military did the king leave behind when he went to war? Just trying to work out what assets the rebels could possibly have.

The 5000 men along with you, of which roughly 4000 still remain, were the bulk of his military force. There are about a thousand professional soldiers stationed back home; most of them in the capital of Akkad. Like the Egyptians, they can conscript more fighters to pad up their numbers if necessary, and there is a militia system in place.

The king will be leaving 500 soldiers in Memphis so you will make the return journey with a band of 3500 men.

It seems that the overwhelming consensus is to go home and stomp the shit out of the other immortals, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Let it be so. :lol:

newcomer

Learned
This one is pretty obvious; a chance to smash Shulgi for good! A

Btw, it's funny that you keep the "Fuck this shit" option around :smug:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 1.8: Return to Sumeria

You decide to ride with the king, back to Sumeria. He is pleasantly surprised at your decision, and tells you he is glad that you will be fighting at his side. On the way back, however, you catch him glancing at your rapidly fading scars once in a while. You sense some suspicion from the king on that regard, but he makes no mention of it at all throughout the journey.

The trek takes the better part of two months. On the eve of crossing over into Sumeria proper, King Sargon convenes a war meeting with the captains of his army. The leader of the scouts that had been sent out ahead was due to make his report.

Things did not sound good: Shulgi had made himself the focus of this new cult. Apparently the high priest of the empire had been possessed by a demon, and Shulgi publicly exorcised this demon in front of hundreds as a display of his power over the old pantheon. From the eyewitness accounts, it was clear that this 'demon' was of the same sort you fought in the desert. Shulgi had proclaimed himself a god made flesh, though he seemed content to allow Rimush to undertake the tedious burdens of day to day ruling as king. The news of the public exorcism, spread by Shulgi's network of cultists, had by now swayed most of the populace in the empire to worship this new god.

Looks like that boy was smarter than you are.
He didn't even have to march for months through a desert to get his job done.
Man, whoever got him was lucky.

You tell the voices, inwardly, to shut up.

On the military front, Rimush had recalled all of the professional soldiers to be stationed in Akkad. The cities on the outskirts were protected by local guards and militia. None of the soldiers should not be a match for your battle-hardened army, though you should prepare for lengthy sieges should you attempt to take any of the great walled cities of Sumer.

Of Naram, there was no news: he had disappeared shortly before Shulgi made his move.

Upon hearing all this, the king glanced at you again. He remains quiet for a while, before standing up, his brow furrowed.

"Well, I can't let this go on any longer. If I have to tear my own city down to teach my own son manners, I will! We march on Akkad immediately!" He appears to be inclined to try to finish this mess quickly by attacking the problem at its source. The captains roar their approval, and leave the tent to prepare. Before you can leave, the king commands that you stay, and dismisses his guards. "I have something to discuss with my most trusted warrior regarding the battle." You know that he is going to ask about the monsters, the healing, and Shulgi's betrayal, and how you are involved in all this. You can feel it.

A. You confess all of the truth to the king, submitting yourself to his judgement. It would not do to hide secrets from him before confronting another who may be as undying and powerful as you are.

B. You lie, making up a story about how you did not know Shulgi had lied about the divine proclamation from Enlil, and that the only thing you know about the star was what he told you. You swear you have no idea about your healing, nor about the monsters.

C. You kill the king. You are stronger, faster, and with no guards around you can blame it on Shulgi's 'divine powers' easily. The army will follow your command with no trouble.

D. Before the king can say anything, you turn and flee into the wilderness. No, seriously, just fuck this shit, man. You're just a soldier, you never asked for this.

Urist McLurker

Learned
I don't know about killing the king, it's not like we need to be in a rush to advance ourself, but we do need to be in a rush to stop Shulgi from the sounds of things.

A
But I might flop, way I see it, serving under a king for the rest of the his life might be good experience and I highly doubt the King is going to decline the idea of an immortal bodyguard that can read minds. Since it was his son that fucked him over, who knows, we might be able to become the next heir and make the whole thing much easier for us to gain power in the slightly longer term. So far we've stuck with our bro the king, and if he decides to try and fuck us over, we should be able to sense it and act in time to stop it.

Cassidy

Arcane
A

The King needs the immortal more than the immortal needs him. He wouldn't want to fuck up such a powerful ally now that his reign is threatened by his over-ambitious son and Shulgi pupeteering him. Living as a loner will be a waste of time, no matter how insignificant such waste may seem for someone bound to live forever. As for killing the King... what's wrong with having a classical demigod hero instead of a power-hungry psycho?

ScubaV

Prophet
A

We don't have much to fear from the king at this point and I see setting Shulgi back a couple centuries as more important than setting up a kingdom for ourselves.

newcomer

Learned
A

I don't think we have the charisma to rule over the Sumerians, at least at this point. For that we need the king & if that means staying under him to keep our position, I'm fine with that. Even if he punish us later, we have the power to break free if we want. Shulgi is the real problem & should be taken care of immediately

Now that I think of this, could it be that this Rimush is Naram, and the real one is dead?

Esquilax

Arcane
"Killing" Shulgi is probably necessary, but unfortunate: the guy seems to have unlocked some very unique powers and probably knows way more about these alien pod people than we do on account of being an astrologist. I would love to know what kind of information he has, but he's too power-hungry and untrostworthy, so we'll have to just stick a sword in him and figure the rest of it out ourselves. There's also the possibility that killing him would result in the cult of Shulgi being destroyed... and replaced by the cult of Ean. Not sure what to think about that.

Of Naram, there was no news: he had disappeared shortly before Shulgi made his move.

I don't believe this. Naram may very well be gone in the wilderness, but it's equally possible that he's changed his form into that of something else.

As far as the choice at hand, I say we come clean to the King. It's possible that he might be furious and call the rest of his guards in to kill us, but I'd rather not betray the man who gave us a position in his Royal Guard and who so far has treated us with nothing but respect.

A

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Okay, I'm convinced. He'll probably betray us once Shulgi is dealt with, but on the oft chance that he doesn't, it would be cool to be bros with him. Perhaps mention everything but our mind reading powers, so we can monitor what he intends to do with us.

A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
One-sided victory for A. So here we go!

Chapter 1.9: A Hand for Trust

You loyally confess all that has happened. As the king listens to your tale, you feel his rage growing. He walks towards you and grabs you by your tunic.

"You dare steal that which the gods have bestowed upon me? You thief! You little bastard!" King Sargon pushes you away and draws his sword. "Not only do you take what is rightfully mine after all I have given you, you conspire with others to keep me in the dark! What do you think I should do with you, traitor?" You have no reply. His claim to the powers granted by the voices aside, what he accused you of was true. You feel a tumultous rush of emotions from the king; sorrow, envy, fear and anger mixed together, confusing and clouding his mind. He lets out a small sigh.

"You are loyal to me, are you not?"

"Yes, my king."

"Give me your hand."

The king tosses his axe at your feet.

"I'm sorry... my king?"

"Your hand. Give it to me. If your story is true, you will not need your shield-hand. You are immortal, are you not? What use has an immortal for a shield? Give your hand to me as proof of your loyalty."

Well, he's right. Don't worry, you can just pick it up in secret and it'll reattach quickly.

Having resolved to submit yourself to the king's judgement, you decide to follow his orders. The voices reassure you, and you kneel before Sargon. Grabbing the axe, you grip your cloak in your teeth to muffle your screams. You raise the king's axe and hack away at your left wrist. The bronze bends as it hits your bone, and even with your strength it takes multiple chops before your mangled hand is separated from your arm. The king watches in amazement as the bleeding stops in a matter of minutes. As you struggle to your feet, the king picks up your severed hand and walks out of the tent, beckoning you to follow. You do so unsteadily. He strides to the center of the largest campfire, as the soldiers part before him. The crowd murmurs curiously at the sight of the king and you tottering after him.

"Soldiers! Brave warriors of Akkad!" shouts the king."Be comforted! I have communed with the gods regarding the deeds of this Shulgi. They assure us that Shulgi is a false god! He is a sorceror preying on the weak with tricks and magic! The gods have also bestowed upon us a means by which we shall all be protected from his foul sorcery. All they require is a blood sacrifice... and our greatest warrior, Ean, has nobly volunteered his own hand!" The king holds your hand aloft and shakes it. Blood spatters everywhere.

The crowd oohs and aahs, very impressed by your courageous sacrifice. "O Enlil! O Ea! Let this be our sacrifice to you, a gift from my most loyal and courageous subject, so that you may protect us while we smite the foul sorceror that pretends to rule above you!" With a dramatic flourish, the king tosses your hand into the fire. You watch as it chars and blackens. The crowd cheers, and several of the captains pat you on the back, awed by your faith. You can only force a weak smile.

There goes reattachment.
Well, don't worry, kiddo. It'll grow back. Eventually.
On the bright side, I think the men really liked that little show. You're like this living embodiment of the dutiful soldier now... an avatar of military loyalty.

You guess you'll have to take whatever consolation you can get.

The army's march to Akkad is unimpeded. Buoyed by the sacrifice of your hand, they are filled with fervor and belief in the divine. Your wound is regenerating slowly; your palm seems to have reappeared, but the limb is still useless for manipulation. Arriving at the gates of Akkad, your army makes camp just beyond the range of the shortbowmen on the walls. The army readies itself for a siege, building weapons of war. Calls for the denizens of the city to surrender are ignored, and the gates remain shut. The king muses that he had ordered escape routes built that only he knew about, and sends the scouts off to search for them. Many turn out to have been collapsed by the enemy. On the fifth day of the siege, you receive word from one of your scouts. They have discovered an unguarded passage into the city under the western wall, possibly the last one left of the king's escape routes. The king turns to you and gives you a choice.

"We will make use of this opportunity well - part of our army will assault the walls as a distraction, while a small group sneaks in via the tunnel to open the gates. Ean, I want you to be in charge of one of these operations. With your abilities I am sure you will succeed no matter what you decide to do."

A. You lead the assault on the walls with two hundred men. You will show your strength and prowess in front of the entire army by taking the walls even with one hand missing. Unfortunately you will have to use all your ability to manage the climb with one hand, and you will be unable to ward off any arrows headed your way.

B. You lead the tunnel operation with a small band of ten men. This is the last open passage and would end the siege quickly should you manage to open the gates. You may also decide to split up and search for Shulgi once you are in the city. On the downside, this could be a trap set by the crafty astrologer.

C. The king has you under watch now. To reject the choice and flee into the wilderness, you would have to cut through the king's troops. You say fuck it and begin cutting anyway.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
B, because falling into traps but still coming ahead seems to fit the character who just put his hand in the mouth of Fenris :)

And why do these persistent "fuck it, let's get out of here" options when we don't seem to be inclined to take them seem to imply they'll soon be gone, but we'll wish they weren't? Probably just the voices in my head ;)

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
I get the feeling that choosing the fuckit options will ultimately unlock powers associated with fuck it. Invisibility, face-changing, that sort of thing.

oscar

Arcane
A, a few arrows are a less scary prospect than burial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom