Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Advent of Space Whaling

Celtais System. 30.09.4033

The moment you arrive at Celtais, you immediately spot that the ragged Third Fleet and its accompanying Legions are in trouble. You order the ships under your command to immediately assist their beleaguered comrades. They are not under attack from the League, however, but something else entirely.

“They appear to be some sort of space… whale?” muses Sekhenun, watching with horror and interest.

Great, white, whale-like things were somehow swimming about in space freely, each rivalling a battleship in size. They lunged straight for the ships; when they managed to slam into a target, humanoid shapes sprouted from the whale-forms and clambered onto the ship. Within a few minutes of contact, the ship would melt and be reduced to goo. They were not invulnerable, however; as the smaller cruisers darted around the space whales and focused their fire upon them, each whale appeared to evaporate in a puff of white smoke, leaving behind the same whitish goo that they turn their victims into.

Even as they kill the whales, the goo begins to gather, melding together. You had a sinking feeling that it would reform into new whales soon enough.

“Good to see you, Grand Marshal,” said Grimrock. The both of you were having this meeting aboard the Sword of Ean. He looked terribly weary, having had to abandon his flagship after a whale managed to ram it. From the reports of the survivors, the humanoid boarders facilitated the goo-transformation process. They could be killed, but like the large whales, you would have to bring a lot of heavy firepower to bear before it would work.

“I’m glad to be here, but what’s the status of the fleet?” you reply. From what you saw, things were looking very bad.

Grimrock shakes his head. “It’s bad. We’ve come across these things that you saw just now once on our way here. Before that, Delta and Epsilon had taken more chunks out of us, though we did return the favour. I still have six hundred ships from the Second Fleet, bless Kadowaki’s departed soul, but Third and Seventh are all but depleted. Seventh’s morale is low after I had to arrest Hasting and put her in the brig… but she was on my flagship. I don’t think she made it out. Kadowaki told the League about our black hole generators; they made sure to target the Federation ships after that in order to cripple our ability. The two Legions I have with me, Raven’s Lance and Serpent’s Wing, are both at half strength right now. This detachment was to revolve around Senya’s prototype mech as the spearhead of our forces. That CF alone probably constituted a quarter of our battle strength.” He laughs. “We’re feeling his absence, if you haven’t noticed. It’s a miracle we made it this far.”

“Well, they’ve made it this far thanks to you, Admiral,” you say. “How is the Sword of Ean faring? I don’t want to be staying in this system any longer than I have to. Those things are going to recover, and when they do I don’t want to be here wasting our ammunition on them.”

“The Sword of Ean is structurally holding up alright, but its engines have been crippled. The generators are out. We can only hobble along at sublight speed. Though slipspace travel is still possible, we won’t be doing any wormhole jumps anywhere, anytime soon. One of our engineers, Islington, suggested detaching some of the Jupiter Bomb’s slave triggers and using those in place of our generators, but the process is irreversible.”

“What would happen to the bomb?”

“At best, it would be severely weakened, though they don’t know by how much exactly. At worst, it would fail to explode when we need it to.”

“It won’t blow up on us?” you ask, slightly concerned.

“Well… the techs don’t think so. At least, they muttered something about confidence intervals and then told me it probably wouldn’t blow up when they removed it.”

“Right.” You sigh as you look through the numbers that your staff have given you. Given the crippled status of the Federation ships with Grimrock’s detachment, you would not be able to rely on them to make a wormhole jump. Furthermore, the mass of the Sword of Ean and the Jupiter Bomb ensured that you could only carry it through on a jump if you left most of the Legions behind. The alternative was to repurpose part of the bomb to fix the black hole generators, but that would pose other problems of its own. As you can’t stay in this system for long, thanks to the white space whales, you’re going to have to decide and move on quickly.

A. You move on to the next system, Beltais, using the slipspace route. You are certain the Star League will be waiting for you, if not in Beltais, then in Carneus Beta, but you would like the fleet to stay together this time. Splitting up has proven to be rather unwise.

B. Staying together will only allow the enemy to further bleed you to death, now that you are already wounded. After reorganizing the fleet so that the Sword of Ean receives an extra Legion to guard it, you will jump ahead to Carneus Beta to perform a surprise strike while the rest of the fleet will travel normally.

C. You jump ahead with just the Sword of Ean, the Jupiter Bomb, the remaining Federation vessels and one of the Legions. If possible you will attempt to break Carneus Beta, if not, you will carry out Grimrock’s original idea of using the bomb as a threat in order to get your way.

D. You fix the black hole generators at the expense of the bomb’s integrity. This will allow you to make a wormhole jump from Celtais to Carneus Beta immediately, carrying all of your forces through.

Note: Any of the wormhole choices will render most, if not all of the black hole generators on the Federation fleets non-functional for the rest of the campaign. Any weapons that use solid ammunition and missiles will be still work, though their movement speed will be significantly reduced due to relying on backup power systems. However, the Sword of Ean's generators will still be functional after the jump if you pick D, since there's still a lot of power to be tapped there.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Right, space whales. Should have seen this coming.

@treave, how big is our fleet right now and what do we know about enemy losses? And does the League know about our bomb?

We should keep our fleet together. Splitting up haven't worked that good in the past. I say we use old fashioned slipspace travel if we have the numbers and if not, we repurpose the bomb and try to take out Carneus Beta while the League is waiting us on Beltais.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
An estimate of sorts:

Federation Fleets

1st Fleet:
2 super heavy battleships
110 battleships
1310 cruisers
3988 combat frames

2nd Fleet:
4 battleships
600 cruisers
317 combat frames

3rd Fleet:
1 asteroid battle-station
2 battleships
11 cruisers
62 combat frames

4th Fleet:
1 super heavy battleship
39 battleships
950 cruisers
2130 combat frames

5th Fleet:
1 super heavy battleship
40 battleships
1020 cruisers
3400 combat frames

6th Fleet:
2 battleships
14 cruisers
57 combat frames

7th Fleet:
1 super heavy battleship
66 battleships
810 cruisers
3312 combat frames

Imperial Legions

Dragon’s Guard:
775 super heavy battleships
7931 battleships
42106 cruisers

Raven’s Lance:
72 super heavy battleships
5620 battleships
28531 cruisers

Devourer’s Hammer:
1431 super heavy battleships
11710 battleships
25362 cruisers

Emperor’s Sword:
1662 super heavy battleships
13584 battleships
37211 cruisers

Serpent’s Wing:
133 super heavy battleships
6451 battleships
23037 cruisers

Wolf’s Shield:
445 super heavy battleships
6889 battleships
35314 cruisers

Report on Star League Armada (Estimates)

Sector Armada Alpha:
1000 super heavy battleships
20000 battleships
80000 cruisers
2550000 drones

Sector Armada Beta:
260 super heavy battleships
6500 battleships
65000 cruisers
1950000 drones

Sector Armada Gamma:
270 super heavy battleships
3800 battleships
24000 cruisers
575000 drones

Sector Armada Delta:
800 super heavy battleships
13000 battleships
7000 cruisers
500000 drones

Expeditionary Fleet Epsilon:
7 super heavy battleships
2000 battleships
6000 cruisers
35000 combat frames

And does the League know about our bomb?

Yes.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Perhaps that was what the Council wanted to talk about, just that they were embarrassed to say it in public. :troll:

Esquilax

Arcane
@treave, after our forces defeated Beta and Gamma in the previous update, did we get an idea in what direction they were retreating? Also, when did the battle between Grimrock's forces and Delta+Epsilon occur? Would we be using the wormhole in B, C, and D?

So, we've got a dilemma here:

... at this rate, you would be bled to death before you reached the Carneus systems.

The jump from Celtais to Beltais would take five days, and then another seven to get to Carneus Beta. From Oran Kappa, it would take a day to get to Oran Iota, then another eight days to reach Carneus Beta.

Going too slowly, from system to system, means we'll get picked apart by League forces and Unseen along the way while the League consolidates at Carneus Beta. On the other hand, warping in too quickly with a weak force means that we'll get torn to shreds by the fortresses at Carneus Beta. At the end of the day, the enemy knows that our destination is going to be Carneus Beta, they just don't know the hour of our arrival. So I don't like A: it means that we'll take losses along the way from fighting more of the Unseen, and it gives the League time to consolidate.

Since we opted not to negotiate with the Council, the safe bet is that the forces we beat are currently heading towards Carneus Beta. If they go through Oran Iota, they'll arrive sooner at Carneus Beta than we would via slip-space travel; a total of twelve days for us and nine days for them. Consolidating was a good move, but going straight for Carneus Beta on a longer route is very predictable on our part. And if history is any indicator, predictable generals don't usually win wars.

Based on that, I'm voting D for now. I also like C a lot, I feel that having the threat of the Sword of Ean would compensate for only having one Legion and allow us to "negotiate" from a position of strength if we play our cards right. We would probably take the Emperor's Sword for their sheer number, though I am tempted to take the Dragon's Guard instead for Adrahasis' tactical abilities. It poses serious problems, and it would make the bomb extremely erratic while it's still lacking in mobility, but hopefully we can make up for that with surprise tactics and numbers.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Quick count shows we outnumber them in super heavy battleships, cruisers and combat frames, while they have superior numbers in battleships and drones. They also have the fortress system.

+2000 super heavy
+14000 cruisers
+14000 combat frames
-7000 battleships
-5500000 drones
-Shitloads of fortresses (which we know through Senya's POV)

I don't like the odds at all.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They were headed towards Carneus Beta, which would take them through the same system that you would have met the Council in.

ScubaV

Prophet
WTF? No option to engage in white whale diplomacy?

Voting CA for the Senya choice. Let's try bluffing this follower or perhaps we can attempt a reload.

Undecided on Ean's choice for now.

Esquilax

Arcane
Let's try bluffing this follower or perhaps we can attempt a reload.

No, we don't want to attempt a reload, I'm 100% against that. That will make the problems with the Unseen even worse than they are right now. We've opted to stick around to gain true knowledge of the situation, so we better damn well do it. If we wanted to leave, we should have accepted the old man's offer.

The reason that I want to bluff her is that we have reason to believe that our pursuer doesn't have the power to read our thoughts in this place, which is something we can take advantage of. Senya is extremely valuable to them, but he's shown that he's unpredictable and reckless enough to wipe a Council member from existence, so they think we actually mean it if we attempt to jump. Confronting our pursuer now gets us nothing.

A few things we ought to consider on Ean's choice: we've had three chances to negotiate with the League at this point (Senya at the fortress, Senya accepting the old man's offer, and the hostage negotiation) but we've refused every single one of them - we've acted pretty aggressively. The stakes are getting higher and we really ought to talk to them in the near future. Since we've committed to consolidating our forces, our goal should not be to crush them, but to talk to them from a position of strength while using the Jupiter Bomb as leverage.

We really ought to consider where the enemy forces are right now and how this affects us: we simply can't wait around forever and head to Carneus Beta as the enemy fortifies, considering they're going to arrive at Carneus Beta far sooner than we will. Remember that Beta and Gamma will arrive sooner than we will if we're travelling via slip-space, so things might actually be much harder if we wait too long. This is why we should consider D: yes, it's extremely risky for the Jupiter Bomb, but it'll get our consolidated force in before Beta or Gamma arrive.

Basically, the crux of it is that this force is as strong as it's going to be, but the forces at Carneus Beta could become much stronger if we delay. We don't have Anhur-Shu around to bust fortresses, so we must be creative. Taking things too slow will end badly.

Edit: @treave, I think there's a tpyo here:

She had ludicrously large sunglasses over her eyes and a long trenchcoat that covered her from neck to toe. It wouldn’t be a very conspicuous outfit, even if the streets were flooded with people.

Didn't you mean, "it wouldn't be a very inconspicuous outfit"? Implying that she wore something that would be likely to get her noticed, because the clothing you describe doesn't sound like something you'd want to wear to blend in. If you meant that the clothing was conspicuous, then that probably changes how we should approach things.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
CA for Senya, I really like Esqulax's plan, but with one caveat: Senya gets some private time with Kyrie.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
She had ludicrously large sunglasses over her eyes and a long trenchcoat that covered her from neck to toe. It wouldn’t be a very conspicuous outfit, even if the streets were flooded with people.

Didn't you mean, "it wouldn't be a very inconspicuous outfit"? Implying that she wore something that would be likely to get her noticed, because the clothing you describe doesn't sound like something you'd want to wear to blend in. If you meant that the clothing was conspicuous, then that probably changes how we should approach things.

Yeah, it's a typo. Corrected. The Senya votes will be open for another six hours or so, I figure.

Baltika9

Arcane
@treave, can Senya's body be killed/die of malnutrition while we're in the Garden, leaving our consciousness with nowhere to return?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Which body? If you're talking about the original body, I don't see why you'd think it can't be destroyed or otherwise disposed of. If you're talking about the current one, you don't know, but it's likely that it can die.

If you're asking whether a reset can be triggered if both bodies are destroyed simultaneously, well, Senya thinks that it probably can.

And that's all the hints you'll get. Sink or swim, remember?

Well, it's not like you guys haven't screwed up enough already in this chapter. We're never going to get the best ending now. :lol:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Forgot to vote for Senya's choice:
The weird thing about our pursuer is that she's all covered up. Even her eyes - or should I say, especially her eyes. Anyone remember the last time someone was following Senya in a weird parallel world? Did they have anything funny going on with their eyes? *cough*white ghost*cough* Not saying that's the case here, just too weird a coincidence for me though.

BB

I would think that our choice to fall for our enemies' rather obvious trap right afterward did more damage than the wiping itself...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, it sailed just now, when you guys didn't at least send Ean over to talk to the Council. The reason will become clear in the coming Senya update.

Ean is strong and resourceful enough in a personal arena to gain an advantage in any face to face meeting, not to mention Sekhenun would be there as support, while Adrahasis could probably take over command of the space fleet and not do any worse. It wasn't a particularly risky choice.

But I reckon the ultimate culprit was voting for Senya to rush into Carneus Beta alone. That was way too reckless. Everything followed as a consequence of that.

Oh, of course going 'loredumps, let's go see what the shadowy figures want' was silly, but also my fault because I didn't set a deadline for the voting. Things might have gone differently if it had been extended for another day.

The codex will get the ending it deserves, but not the ending it needs. Or something. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, not yet.

It's just a regular incursion. Since the galaxy is huge, it's not far-fetched that you didn't run into any before this. They were already here from the start.

Consider that a Master once said Senya's existence might make the Game unnecessary. That was all the metaknowledge you needed, actually. Not the Unseen.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
mr-t-in-the-role-of-ba-baracus-in-the-a-team.jpg

Mr T always wins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom