Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Kayerts

Arcane
When did Ean kick Marduk's ass? :lol: As I recall we backstabbed him using Zeus's power then were about to get schooled by Zeus himself. Are you imagining some epic battle that doesn't exist?

"That guy who kicked your god's ass the last time he was here."*

*"As far as you know."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ean wouldn't work as an incentive unless he was already up and about. Promising a Second Coming and hyping some unseen god isn't a very good tactic of negotiation with these people. Revealing your ability and explaining it will do more. Rather than follow the embodiment of hunger, perhaps they could transfer their loyalty to the embodiment of destruction.

Kayerts

Arcane
Negotiate first; if Adrahasis seems disinclined to agree, we can rephrase our offer: "I'm killing Marduk. I leave to you whether you choose to face the Star League alone, or allied with the Aspect of the Destroyer and his planet-shattering weapons. Use your head, bro, and do the right thing."

(Oh, and don't let that sneaky bastard stall for time.)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Adrahasis would require that you commit to a deadline. The Emperor would have brought them to where they needed to be within a month or less. You will be asked to commence invasion of the Master's home dimension within six months, which he think is fairly generous if you are claiming to be superior to their Dragon Emperor.

Remember, they already have plans for the invasion underway; they can't just turn around and go home, or lounge around the solar system waiting a few years for you. Launching every last ship means that they effectively burned their bridges.

edit: Of course, you could always laugh at that and say you'll do it in three. If three months was enough for you to go from comparatively normal black hole technology to cobbling together a mech powerful enough to challenge a hundred thousand ships and cast down their giant space dragon Emperor while drawing upon limited resources and dealing with the Federation at the same time, with another three months of undivided attention with help from the finest Terran and Imperial scientists, not to mention Ean and Sekh's input... this should end up being even more ludicrous. A four-seater mech, perhaps. Or make it five. You could even colour code everyone's uniforms.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Make it six:
images
:troll:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
What does Sek say about Vajra? Would it be possible to break the connection with the masters and use it against them?

So we agree to the six months deadline and make a mind pact, use the time to research black hole tech, bring Ean back, and most importantly, figure a way to destroy the mind pact just in case we can't do it in six months. This should give us enough time to come up with a plan to destroy the league and the masters while making sure Earth stands secure.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, I wouldn't really worry about the mind pact. If it fires and kills you, you'd probably just rewind back to just before you decided to make the pact, discarding all the events and possibilities that came after.

Kayerts

Arcane
I totally get if the six month thing is a narrative/gameplay requirement, but it looks kinda weird:

Senya: Behold as I strike down your god with ease. Watch as the Great Devourer who ruled your galactic empire for five millennia is reduced to nothing by a machine I crafted in ninety days. Today he dies. Tomorrow, the puppetmasters who made our whole universe their plaything answer to us. Join with me, and we shall storm the realm of the gods and overthrow them. Join with me, and we shall found a new cosmic order.
Adrahasis: Cool!
Senya: I go to prepare the war machines by which we shall assault the deathless realms. Soon, the lowliest captains of my fleet shall command power enough to tear apart the hearts of worlds.
Adrahasis: Awesome!
Senya: It'll take seven months.
Adrahasis: WTF GTFO

What's his hurry? He wants to fight a battle against an extradimensional enemy he presumably knows very little about, apart from that they're dicks and very powerful. He has no idea of their numbers, the extent of their technology, how to kill them, what sort of conditions will await us on the other side, etc. He's only got one shot at this. Given the stakes and the uncertainty, why is he turning up his nose at the prospect of better tech? Is Bitchin' Tactic #3 just "GET 'EM!" or something?

Basically I want us to have enough time to create a mech that can seat everyone on Earth, except Naim.

Tigranes

Arcane
A2 would be the totally Ean thing to do, get ourselves killed in deep space while (maybe) destroying Marduk foreva.... then leaving Ean to pick up the pieces and lead the final war against the Masters. :D

B2 Kayerts sounds pretty good at the moment. Adrahasis can be a good ally and our ultimate goal is also freedom from the Masters, especially since Senya chose the 'freedom' option before. As treave says this probably requires demonstrating our ability/secret and showing that we can lines-destroy, but I don't think that's too much of a risk here. A is already working with a planet-devouring dragon, and he knows Senya is much more reasonable.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I totally get if the six month thing is a narrative/gameplay requirement, but it looks kinda weird:

Senya: Behold as I strike down your god with ease. Watch as the Great Devourer who ruled your galactic empire for five millennia is reduced to nothing by a machine I crafted in ninety days. Today he dies. Tomorrow, the puppetmasters who made our whole universe their plaything answer to us. Join with me, and we shall storm the realm of the gods and overthrow them. Join with me, and we shall found a new cosmic order.
Adrahasis: Cool!
Senya: I go to prepare the war machines by which we shall assault the deathless realms. Soon, the lowliest captains of my fleet shall command power enough to tear apart the hearts of worlds.
Adrahasis: Awesome!
Senya: It'll take seven months.
Adrahasis: WTF GTFO

What's his hurry? He wants to fight a battle against an extradimensional enemy he presumably knows very little about, apart from that they're dicks and very powerful. He has no idea of their numbers, the extent of their technology, how to kill them, what sort of conditions will await us on the other side, etc. He's only got one shot at this. Given the stakes and the uncertainty, why is he turning up his nose at the prospect of better tech? Is Bitchin' Tactic #3 just "GET 'EM!" or something?

Basically I want us to have enough time to create a mech that can seat everyone on Earth, except Naim.

No, this looks kinda weird:

Adrahasis: So, you're going to help us defeat the Masters, and in return you want us to stand by and watch as you destroy the powerful entity that has led us here, the figure-head of the Empire and the center of our religion?

Senya: Yup.

Adrahasis: Well, alright, I guess. The Emperor could lead us there in under a month. How long is it going to take for you? Will six months do? I mean, while we abandoned our friends and family to come here on what we thought would be a one-way Crusade for many of us, the Star League is probably running rampant all over our former territories. Morale is going to drop if we hang around here for too long doing nothing, and if we head back we're just going to get into a fruitless battle.

Senya: Uh. It'll be done when it's done, I guess. There's no rushing this, man.

Not very convincing if you look at it from Adrahasis's point of view. Firstly, the Emperor is confident of taking on the Masters as long as he gets through. He has definitely conveyed that much to his men, which in turn convinced them to perform this all-or-nothing gambit. If you're not confident of doing the same because you don't know their numbers and technology, perhaps they should take their chances with the Emperor instead? Beating him in a physical fight doesn't really count for much as he is an avatar of an extradimensional entity. The extent of his power here will not fully equate to his ability once he reaches the other side. This much at least Adrahasis knows.

Next, even without a pact, having over four hundred thousand warships and their crew hang around doing nothing is good recipe for having Adrahasis getting pushed out by more impatient, warlike factions of the Imperial Fleet and then you have a mutiny on your hands. Also, let's talk about the supplies you need to get them. They came prepared with perhaps six or seven months of supplies, of which close to three months have been used up on the way here. The Emperor promised a speedy campaign, and once they get through the portal they won't really have to worry about resources. Can one planet feed, supply and maintain a war machine that used to belong to a galactic Empire while also throwing resources at advancing your technology and standing forces to a level that you feel totally secure with? Even a six month deadline will tax your resources and reserves already.

Furthermore, as mentioned in the update, you can't put the Great Devourer down permanently. If you could do it, you would have just traced the lines that appear and ended it for good. That tells you that blasting it into a black hole only defeats it physically. That also means that it could possibly find a way back into realspace. Now, given that I've also hinted that it wants to/has already consumed Gieloth, and that it is the embodiment of hunger... I wonder if there's anything - or anyone - with a strong affinity to that concept which could become a conduit by which the Great Devourer returns, now that all other possible avenues have been extinguished by the destruction of the Emperor's body?

Of course it's not going to happen immediately, but the longer you stall...

:lol:

edit: Or we could just handwave this away because anime. I'll just have it so that the Imperial Fleet brought the equipment to be self-sufficient and sets up extensive mining facilities around the moons of Jupiter, making that their new home, while every single of their courageous men and women are burning with the desire to crush the gods that had forced them to this, and to retake their homeland, in that order, yet are patient because they know the goodies will be doled out soon. Also sheer willpower prevents the Great Devourer from manifesting itself, as par for the course.

But the real reason for the Imperials' integration is because they got hooked on Earthling pop Culture thanks to Qin Kawano's songs.

Now they remember love.

Hm, yeah. That sounds perfect.

I'll take that explanation for a successful Kayerts B2 with no time limit. :thumbsup:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B1, if not, A1

I don't think the terms we make with B2 will really amount to anything, I just don't think there's enough incentive to betray the emperor regardless of how administratively incompetent he might be. It's best that we flee to recover our mental energies, or failing that, take out the opponents directly threatening us, then lead a controlled retreat.

Anabanana

Augur
...yeah, I'm not convinced either. B1. We need to regroup and talk to Sekh about this.

EDIT: All righty then~ Kayerts' B2, but let's try and stick within a time limit.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, no, the terms proposed in B2 would work, only that I will also let you know of the changes that would be required to make it acceptable to Adrahasis, as I just did for Kayerts's proposal.

If B2 wins the proposal that is agreed upon will be accepted should you guys accept the changes I make, which will be stated clearly. It'd be a very pointless choice otherwise if you guys take the trouble to agree on one proposal and in the next update you get lolnoped.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
C'mon guys, let's ally with Adrahasis. I even kind of pity Marduk, to be honest. Adrahasis seems to suggest that what's left of the real Marduk seems to be a honourable sort of guy. It's that just he's mostly posessed by the Great Devourer.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, but is it Marduk that the Great Devourer is play-acting when it is trying to be a proper ruler... or is it some other Emperor?

:troll:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
It has the Vajra pieces that were last seen on Marduk. And Ean was ruling, tortured, asleep and mind-melded with Sekhenun all that time, so he's accounted for. Any other God-Emperors we might be familiar with?

Baltika9

Arcane
And I'm assuming this will be a collaborative project with Sek, right? Since she's the only other one alive that toyed with trans-dimensional physics.

Will we have to trade in Ean's return for that as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom