Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Sneak onboard, assassinate the Emperor, take his mask, drop out of slipspace, 'persuade' Adrahasis, become the new Emperor, gleefully accept Julia's surrender.

I'm liking the sound of that. No idea if I really want to kill Marduk at the moment though. Have to learn more of his motives and story first.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
We don't want to assasinate the Emperor cowardly and then take over his empire. We want everyone there watching while we kill him by merely touching him. Then talk about Senya's personal cult.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Keep in mind, though, that the Emperor is likely something entirelly different to an Immortal. And now probably also quite different to Selkhet. Even if we observe Selkhet long enough to learn how to unravel a Gieloth, the same method might not work on the Emperor.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
We also need to keep in mind the devouring aspect. Senya might not be able to reload if he is eaten. Still, it would be awesome to take over the empire and screw masters' game.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bring on a War

“So, you won’t be surrendering the alien over to us then?” smiles the President of the Federation thinly.

“I’m afraid so, Madam President.” I reply. “The alien says, and I quote, ‘I’d rather die than go with the old hag’. In alien-speak actually, but that was the gist of it.”

Her brow furrows as she grips the pen she’s holding so tightly that I can hear a creak, even through the viewscreen.

“You really are a nasty lot, aren’t you? That is fine with me. I was hoping you wouldn’t give in so easily anyway. Destroying this rotten bunch of traitors and scum of the earth would give me the greatest pleasure. You’ll finally get what you deserve.”

“Mm. It’s sexual, isn’t it?” I muse out loud.

“What?”

“I mean, the way you desire power and domination. Did you think the stories wouldn’t get out? Does it turn you on or something? Have you been feeling deprived lately? I can find no other reason-“

“You dare! How did you -” The President raises her voice, her nostrils flaring in anger. “You rude and uncouth man! I have to wonder what Kyrie ever saw in you.”

“Sometimes I wonder too.” I say with a smile. “I will speak with you later, Madam President. See you soon.”

“Hoshi-“ I cut off the line before she gets another word in.

“I’m not entirely sure you should have done that, brother,” says Rei. “What do we gain from provoking her this much?”

“No Earthling is going to want to sacrifice their life for a Gieloth, Rei. By putting ourselves in opposition to the Federation over this point we will already have lost the propaganda war before it has begun. But now… now she will be paranoid that there are spies in her office, and that will push her to make mistakes.”

“You mean…” Rei blushes.

“Ah, so she really is one.” Erika nods knowingly. “How did you find out?”

“It was a stab in the dark,” I admit. “Come on, she used to consort with Relius, remember? She’s definitely got something weird going on there. Anyway, she’ll be turning her own bureaucracy upside down on the brink of war, not to mention begin overreacting against anything she thinks might be linked to us.”

“It is a fine tactic to push your enemy’s buttons, but don’t let your mother find out how you did it,” grins my father.

“The cities have united behind Governor Iannes,” says Emiri. “We are bringing out old military equipment from surviving, mothballed military bases back on Earth. It might be a hard prospect for them to invade space, but defending themselves should be doable.”

“Alright. We won’t be able to take on the Federation in a straight fight, but between the chaos the President will be helping to start, and the rebellion on the ground, they should be too busy to counter our next moves.” I say.

“You always rub my mother the wrong way, don’t you?” laughs Kyrie.

“It’s a habit.” I say absent-mindedly.

“What’s a habit?” asks Emiri.

“Oh, nothing,” I say, staring pointedly at the ghost waving at me.

“Don’t worry, I see it too.” Rei whispers.

“That doesn’t make me feel any better.”

“If you’re not feeling well, perhaps we should adjourn the meeting,” says Erika.

“Yes… that would be best. I am a bit tired,” I nod, keeping my eyes on the thing that looks like Kyrie.

As the others file out of the room, Rei and I stay behind. Once they have all left, I let out a big sigh.

“Alright, you are Kyrie’s ghost or something, aren’t you? You called the President mother.”

“I’ve told you before, I don’t know who I am,” she shakes her head. “It just seemed right to call her that.”

“It’s a mass hallucination,” I groan. “Can’t this wait until I settle everything?”

“Hey, it’s not my fault that you’re crazy,” laughs the hallucination. “Anyway, I’m here to convey a message again. Rei needs to reach the Inanna flower.”

Rei seems puzzled. “Wait, I thought they were all gone.”

“Smart-aleck here was keeping the last one safe on Earth.”

“What do I do when I get there?” asks Rei.

“I’m not entirely sure.”

“What do you mean, you’re not sure?” I interrupt. “I could do with some less cryptical instructions for once in my life.”

“I’m sorry, Senya,” Her smile is half apologetic, half amused. “I don’t understand everything either. It’s like… the connection is not clear? I’m not sure how to describe it. You’ll just have to make do with what I can tell you. I’m sure you’ll figure something out.”

And with that, she’s gone. Again.

Everything else begins proceeding as planned – the preliminary design for a combat frame integrating the best we have to offer has been finalized. It would be the pinnacle – the crown jewel – of humanity’s technology. The scientists and engineers working on it called themselves Project Defiance. They were thrilled at the prototype black hole generator I passed along to them for reference, and promised me great results soon.

Julia’s panicked attempt at purging her ranks caused some internecine conflict, as I had predicted. She had been too secure in her position for far too long, thinking that everyone would follow along with her will. With the Crusade on its way, the porcine rats leading the Federation would rather turn on each other so that they are best positioned to gain the most from what they think will be a new regime soon. She just gave them that chance. Even so, some elements of the Federation space forces have already attempted to attack us, thinking the Gate was an easy target. They were disposed of quite easily. Still, the first shots have been fired. There is no going back now.

Meanwhile, we received a rather curious message from an old acquaintance: Julius Gallardo. He was seeking refuge with us, claiming that he knows Julia’s dirty secrets.

As the people’s faith in their leaders starts to wane, it is time for me to make my next move.

Operation Snow Drop: Rei would like to investigate the Inanna flower – that would mean slipping past the Federation blockade and reaching Ankida. It’s a simple orbital re-entry operation. From there, I plan to have her join the Earth forces when they launch an attack against the Federation’s orbital assets.

Operation Mad Retrieval: At the same time, we would also need someone to pick up Julius. Whether he is truly genuine about seeking refuge, or a spy, I think I can find some useful information if we interrogate him. Erec and Erika will attempt to carry out his extraction from Neo Memphis, though I have instructed them to put their safety first and abandon the target if at all anything seems wrong.

Operation Fox Cover: As insurance, I plan to carry out a distraction for both operations by having my father’s Autonomous Fleet perform a simultaneous strike on the Federation fleet near Londinium, as retaliation for their earlier attack on the Gate of Ean. The objective is to hit and run – harass the fleet and retreat to the safety of the Gate, which they still do not have enough forces to take.

A. I undergo the procedure to delve into my psyche before the operation. It may be that I do not recover in time to participate in any of the operations but that’s a risk I will have to take sooner or later.

B. I postpone the procedure till later, even though there is a risk that we will be in a worse position afterwards meaning that I might not get the chance to do so for some time.

Should I recover in time, or not undergo the procedure at all:

A. I participate in Operation Snow Drop. I am curious about what the ghost wants Rei to do with the flower. This is something I would like to see for myself; in case it is a trap, I can be on hand to help out. An orbital re-entry, fighting past a Federation blockade, is not an easy job either.

B. I participate in Operation Mad Retrieval. This is the riskiest operation; I would like to support Erec and Erika as much as possible as they - well, alright, she - is an old friend, and an important war asset to boot. My presence would significantly enhance our chances of success.

C. I participate in Operation Fox Cover. This operation requires tricky timing to coordinate so that the other two missions will draw less attention. By pulling off Fox Cover perfectly I can help both operations at the same time. My father shoul be more than competent enough for such a task, but better safe than sorry.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Welll...

Kyrie's ghost is unsettling, but clearly it is linked to Rei's and Senya's creation. Would be interesting to have Selkhet on hand the next time, to see if she sees it too.. We know that Mere Tarliss doesn't, so it isn't the immortal part that makes the visions possible, could it be something of the Gieloth heritage?
Or is is something unique to Rei and Senya?

In any case, I find it is important to delve more into the Rei and Senya stories. Therefore my vote cannot be anything other than
A
A

TOME

Cuckmaster General
AA

Although I'm not entirely convinced about 1A. This flower thing seems important and I would rather not miss it.

Baltika9

Arcane
In before sacrificing Rei to awaken Ean (which is wishful thinking, would be pretty useful, too). I really want to go for 2A, but it seems that Erec and Erika will need us the most. Even if Relius is genuine, it will still be very difficult to extract him. Thoughts?

As for waking up our other self, we definitely should. The sooner we begin the sooner we recover.

Edit: by the way, do we have any idea of Vic Gradius Camna's whereabouts? If he's anywhere near Londinium, we must go with the fleet. Otherwise, they're screwed.

Liking Senya's new wiseass persona, though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You are not sure of any particular troop assignments. At any rate each of the operations require that you do not get stuck in so fleeing battle will be the first priority.

Baltika9

Arcane
“I’m sorry, Senya,” Her smile is half apologetic, half amused. “I don’t understand everything either. It’s like… the connection is not clear? I’m not sure how to describe it. You’ll just have to make do with what I can tell you. I’m sure you’ll figure something out.”
Wait, connection to whom, the Masters? I do remember Ean's voices mentioning bad connection a couple of times. Ean or Sek, maybe?

SHULGI? Oh god, it is him, isn't it? He's everywhere!
:lol:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
“No Earthling is going to want to sacrifice their life for a Gieloth, Rei. By putting ourselves in opposition to the Federation over this point we will already have lost the propaganda war before it has begun.

Just wait a moment. How does anyone outside the Cult know Selkhet is an alien? I guess the League might have told Earthlings that all their myths about Gieloth are actually true, but actually half those myths are positive because of Sekhenun and Concordiat. Plus the only Immortal who figured Selkhet out was Mere, and she wasn't keen on spreading the word. I demand an explanation, or a change. All Julia should know is that Marduk wants a high ranking Cultist as his bride.

BA for now.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Council put two and two together after the Emperor's announcement and figured it out. They're not retarded. Sometimes I wonder if you guys forget you're dealing with beings with thousands of years of experience that have not yet crushed you like a bug only because you are beneath their notice. Once they let Julia know that as a parting gift, obviously she'd milk it for propaganda. They might not call her a Gieloth per se, but the Emperor coming for his alien bride is public knowledge.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

AA - We just have to have faith that our teams will succeed...not to mention be exceedingly careful with our other aspect. By picking the mech, we could be effectively arming the self-proclaimed destroyer of worlds with the most powerful weapon in existence, if we screw up and let him loose.

Oh, and my theory is that Kyrie is probably Kyrie. Or what's left of her. Shulgi probably used some of the nanobots that deconstructed her when he was giving us regen nanites. Effectively, I'm betting she is a, if not our only, "voice". Anyway, I think she's linked to our old friend Shulgi - or what's left of him - which would explain why she knows what to do and why Rei can see her too.

That or she's a master puppet. Or a ghost. Spooooky!

Baltika9

Arcane
No, she is definitely getting her info from someone. Whether it's the Masters (probably not), the Great Idea (possibly, we do have some kind of connection to it), Ean or Sek from beyond the grave, I've no idea. But I guess we'll have to find out, eh?

Torn between safeguarding the fleet and going with Rei. Storyfaggotry is nice and all, but we can't really afford to be selfish here. The overall success of the war should be our goal.

On the other hand, maybe we'll get a crucial piece of information from A. Waiting to hear more arguments.

Baltika9

Arcane
:hmmm:
No, Earth must grow into its own. I can only guide from the shadows, hoping that humanity itself will find their will to drive forward and become capable of rivaling their brethren from the stars. The legacy he left behind in the Inanna flowers is more than capable of aiding them to do so. ”
Besides, there was the small flower bud that glowed faintly inside the tank – Shulgi’s data strongly implied that it was the last specimen of the Inanna flower left on this earth. It would survive, left to its own devices; the bud somehow fertilized the soil and recycled the air inside its little tank. It was still fragile, however, and taking it with me would be too risky.
So, the flowers are sources of energy.
They have the potential to somehow empower humanity.

The last flower is very low on energy.
Rei needs to go to the flower. Rei can generate energy. Aww sheeit.

I'm not sitting this one out, or risking our twin's interference.
BA

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're probably right Baltika9.
It always rubs me slightly the wrong way when people bAndwAgon too much, even if it were the same options I voted for.

This Inanna flower? Might be that is what the Mushussu Emperor is coming to Earth for. Selkhet could simply be an excuse.
If that is the case, I'd want Senya's maximum potential unlocked. Remember how he was impressed with what Rei could accomplish with her creation powers? As far as we know, she hasn't got an inhibitor. Senya could probably rival those creation powers with powers of destruction/ending, once his potential is unlocked.
We want him to have that option while not being bat-shit insane when the big M finally arrives. If that means he's recovering, and not actually there when Rei powers the flower, well. That could be both good or bad.

Still, for now, I'll be sticking with my vote.

Baltika9

Arcane
We could always release our inhibitor later. I just don't want to sit this one out and miss the procedure and involvment in it (maybe we can apply our intelligence and the flower for something on the spot; whoever is Kyrie's informer, I'm sure he'll show himself at that point (please let it be Ean, this would be such a massive troll for Marduk)).

I also don't want our darkside surprising us and disrupting the process in a fit of egotism/POWAH!/jealousy.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Think about it this way, if you're not there it means that you can't influence the way the mission goes... for better or for worse. Wouldn't you be banging your head against the wall if it means your on-site fuck-up ended up getting the last flower destroyed? Put your trust in your comrades for once.

...or the mission could need you there to bail it out, or else everything goes up in flames. Who knows.

:lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Out of Mind

“This is as far as I can take you,” says Erika’s disembodied voice. “From here onward you are on your own. When you are ready, place your hand on the cube. I will do the rest. Remember, once the seal is opened it cannot be locked again. You should finish the job. Good luck, Senya.” The cube that she is talking about is a small black thing on a mantelpiece in the house of my mind. It gleams in the light, its surface smooth with nary an etching to be found. I place my hand on it.

The cube unfolds and envelops me.

Again, I find myself in total darkness. I turn around in confusion.

“Can’t get used to the dark?” laughs a familiar voice. My voice. “What’s the matter? Shall I bring you a night light?”

I ignore him. We are no longer in a program that he has taken control of. We are in my mind, and that means control should be mine. If I want light…

The darkness clears away, revealing my surroundings. The room seems to be carved entirely out of polished black marble, with only a solitary, bright lamp hanging from the center to illuminate it. Not a few feet away from me, he sits on an ivory throne that seems to have been cobbled together from the bones of multiple long-dead prehistoric beasts. His appearance is different from the last time I saw him – this time, he looked my age, if not much skinnier, with filthy, long hair and an unruly scruff about his chin. Two massive manacles shackle his wrists, their chains anchored to the floor. As he shifts his wasted body, I realize that the throne is sprouting thorns of bone that have hooked deep into his flesh, limiting his movement.

“So, how am I doing today?” he asks with a sneer.

“Perfectly well, thank you. How are you?” I reply, reclining myself into a lush and comfortable armchair.

“Could be better,” he laughs. “Buy me a better chair. This one sucks.”

“We will see about that, won’t we?”

“Yes, we will,” he agrees. “I know what you are here for.”

“That makes things simpler, then.” I say. “Will you fight me, or shall we do this the easy way?”

He bursts into uncontrollable laughter. As he does so, the thorns of the throne react in response to his movement, growing and sinking deeper into his body.

“Fight you? I have never sought to fight you. You are me, after all, even if I don’t like your hypocrisy and stupidity. Liar. You lie to everyone, even yourself. You seek power, you say? What do you seek it for?”

“To free-“

“Liar. You ascribe blame to those above you, telling yourself that their plotting and scheming has been responsible for every bad thing in your life. You take no responsibility for any of your actions. You would discard lives recklessly, heartlessly, in your own games for power, and yet you point fingers at the gods’ schemes and call them tyrants, when in truth you are no better than them. The ends justify the means, you say? I know everything you did. I am you. I know just how cold your heart has become. Would such a man be able to free anything?” I grit my teeth, barely holding in my anger. “You are one to talk… you who killed an entire planet.”

“Is that what you think?” He gives me a sickly grin. “I brought them salvation.”

“You disassembled people. I still… you call that salvation, you son of a bitch?” I spring up from the chair, the memories of what happened to Kyrie boiling within me.

“People – no, everything is information,” he says quietly. His eyes, half covered by his messy hair, seem to glint a pale blue. “You are aware of that?” I stare at him for a while before deciding to sit down again. “Go on.”

“I will repeat my doctrine again. Our world is a world of dreams. In a dream that is indistinguishable from the real thing, how would you awaken? Through fear. By turning their existence into a nightmare I save them from this false reality. Imagine, if you will… your flesh melting… bubbling… replicating… Would you accept it? Would you not rather think it is a dream, that this cannot be happening to you?”

“That is just denial of reality.”

“Rejection of a false reality is important!” He shouts triumphantly. “That is the first step to setting yourself free. I give them the chance, you see?”

“They are still dead. What chance do they have now?”

“Your ears listen but your mind does not understand. I said it before. Everything is information. I reprogrammed the nanomachines based on that understanding.”

“You mean…”

“Based on studies of the Inanna flower, there is reason to believe that they interact as a hive-mind of some sort. Each flower can respond to the others, even over great distances.”

“Yes,” I say warily. “I am familiar with that study.”

“Where do you think the scientists developed their nanomachines from? I told you, I found a more refined method.”

The Inanna flowers. I also recall reading about research involving that, back in the day. They were using the Dunamis and the flowers for nanomachine experimentation.

“Information… turning everyone into goo was just a side-effect. You were… freeing their information from the constraint of their bodies.”

“Yes. Unfortunately Shulgi interfered before my plan was fully complete. I had to improvise... and then the Star League razed the Earth in fear. Fools, all of them. I would have brought that information with me to a new reality, where our creators hold no sway. ”

“How would you do that?”

“It’s simple. You just have to observe the possibility of a universe without their influence.”

“Then… no. You are not being entirely truthful with me. How do you carry the information over? How do you ensure you keep the data intact, and that everyone can be reconstructed?“

He is silent for a moment, and then breaks out into another fit of laughter. “Oh, you have grown sharp, haven’t you? There is no guarantee, I admit. But such is the nature of salvation. You have to have faith to be saved. Those with fear and the willpower sparked from it will regain their identity in the sea of minds. Those without will slumber in ignorance. Yes, the data may degrade, but all life comes to an end anyway.”

“In the end, we are still talking about the sacrifice of billions on your road to salvation.”

“Do you have any better idea besides your usual hypocritical ways? Tell me, what is the world that you would build?”

What he wants would mean escaping this sandbox of the gods, into a world where only those with the will to do so would be able to regain sentience and physical form. Do I agree with his methods and his goal?

If I had to build my own world, the immortals and their masters stand in my way. I would have to slay those gods that would not bend to me, before I can create a world that:

A. Emphasizes strength, be it physical or mental. Humanity is best served by advancing through merit. In such a world there is no place for the weak.

B. Emphasizes equality, where everyone is treated fairly; from each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

C. Emphasizes freedom; I will not overthrow the gods just to replace them with myself. Whatever comes after, good or bad, it is up to humanity to decide.

However, perhaps I…

D. Agree with him. Will is paramount; regardless of skill or talent or background, only those who have a strong will are the ones that deserve to survive.

“I see. Interesting. At any rate, are you sure you have time to be talking with me like this?” He grins upon hearing my answer, even as he mocks me. “Your precious friends could be in danger even now. Should you not hurry?”

A. I will stay to the end, listen to his – my – story, and know everything he knows. Only then will I be able to fully accept this ghost from my past and the whole extent of my powers.

B. I will take from him what power I can and leave. There is no need to understand anything more about this lunatic, no more need to waste any time on him. I can always return to finish him off another time, when I require more power.

Anabanana

Augur
BA

I think we should get the full story here - incomplete information can be dangerous, especially what with the whole Rei/Kyrie's ghost/Inanna flower situation. Let's trust our comrades to carry out their missions.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ugh, equality...

Freedom or strength, anything but the democrat answer.

Also, I don't like the idea of leaving him in our mind with the shackles unbound without fully understanding his capabilities and influence. Considering how we voted in the last option, giving him the chance to possess us when we come close to the Inanna flowers seems like a very bad idea.

AA

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom