Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Space pirate? Naw, we shoulda been the Hobo Rider! :yeah:

Kipeci

Arcane
A

This guy can be beat down at any point, and he's stupid enough that he'll probably strike us first. It's better to keep using our words for the others, and I don't want to do anything that might feed our more psychotic side in a moment where we must have more control.

Jester

Arbiter
This guy can be beat down at any point, and he's stupid enough that he'll probably strike us first. It's better to keep using our words for the others, and I don't want to do anything that might feed our more psychotic side in a moment where we must have more control.
huh isn't that C for over kill. B is power up your reflex and make him lose balance few times like some kung-fu old man option?

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
Let's effortlessly physically beat him to get his adolescent respect, and follow it up with our rhetoric to get his worship as his god-ruler! These are kids! Killing him would be counterproductive, as well as a bad repayment to our servant and sister.

B

Tigranes

Arcane
What the hell is it going to do if we show up out of nowhere, rendezvous with our sister who still doesn't know much about what we've gone through + the naive worshipper, then kill one of their friends for nothing? We'd be lucky if they didn't run away outright.

Kipeci

Arcane
Wait, is this fight going to lean more for the prestigious side or towards a punch in the face without warning?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
C - Anyone else starting to think we're becoming like the protagonist from the Prince of Nothing?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wait, is this fight going to lean more for the prestigious side or towards a punch in the face without warning?

If by prestigious you mean Marquess of Queensberry Rules... well, don't think Senya's the sort to go in chest up and fists held high. Kaito might, though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A - 3
B - 6
C - 3

New Seeds

"Come on! What's the matter, are you too much of a pansy to fight me?" taunts Kaito.

I get up from the chair, a slight smile twisting my lips. To my surprise, Chinatsu steps in front of me.

"What are you thinking? You're not seriously going to fight, are you? You know how poorly your condition is." she scolds. "Let's end this nonsense now, shall we?" Kaito gives a gasp of surprise, and begins protesting. "That's not fair. If he's a man, he shouldn't be hiding behind you."

That's right; we haven't really had time to catch up since I left for the Academy. I might not be as strong or as fast now that I have lost the Messenger's tendrils, but I still have other advantages both old and new. At any rate, a teenage punk isn't going to be any threat. I put a hand on my sister's shoulder and gently push her aside.

"Don't worry. I'll win."

"But-"

"I'll win." I insist firmly. Seeing something - the light of confidence, perhaps? - in my eyes, she yields grudgingly and steps away. Emiri is cheering for me loudly, causing Kaito to cast her a hurt glance which she just ignores.

"Well? We're supposed to hit each other until one person gives up, right?" I ask, spreading my arms wide to the sides in an inviting posture.

"You act and talk big, but let's see you back that up!" yells Kaito as he rushes in, fists held up. He's probably faster and stronger than me as I am right now. A lot more hot-blooded too, which makes him... predictable. The world slows and my mind goes cold. I see the possibilities in front of me and begin narrowing them down, discarding the improbable actions based on my analysis and comprehension one by one.

He will come in with a straight left aimed at my left cheek.

I decide that that is what he will do. He does not betray my expectations. His feet dance in a fancy pattern, apparently wary of my casual posture - the kid isn't that stupid after all - but after shuffling quickly to my left he throws his punch from what he thinks is my blind spot, throwing his entire weight into the attack.

My open palm catches him right on the jaw, sending him to the ground head-first as I flick my wrist to use his own momentum against him. Kaito lies dazed on the floor, unable to grasp what just happened. Emiri leads the kids in a cheer, while my sister just stares at me as if I've pulled off some impossible magic trick. All in all, they seem really impressed at what I just did. I suppose rather than trying fancy words, it was more effective to prove my strength.

"What the hell... who the hell are you?" Kaito mutters. The force of my strike and the angle with which he hit the ground should keep his legs shaky enough that he stays down for a while. He tries to get up to continue the fight, but unfortunately for him, his willpower is not of the sort that allows a person to break past their limits. No matter what he thinks he has suffered, he hasn't suffered enough to earn that strength.

"Emiri has told you who I am. You're welcome to evict me by force whenever you wish. Until then I will be staying here as long as I want." I do not mean it as a taunt, saying it solemnly. Turning to the rest of the cult - if I can still call it that - I ask them a question.

"What do all of you desire?"

"Shoes!" "A new bed!" "A cat!" "What does desire mean?" "I just want to be with you forever, Master!"

That last one sounded wrong, but I ignore it. I suppose I should tone down the rhetoric a bit, dealing with these kids. I laugh, trying to make it sound as jolly and good-natured as possible. Megalomaniacal laughter would only undo what I'm trying to accomplish here.

"Excellent answers. I think we all want a better life, don't we? To live comfortably the way we choose?" I say, to a chorus of cheers from Kids 1 to 6.

I point out of the window, where the Governor's palace is lit up in the dark, murky night.

"Do you see that? That is where we will be three months from now. Heed my words and you will never go hungry again."

"Three months... do you mean the city election?" says Tomas suddenly. He had been quiet before this. It seems that he is the type to pay attention and think for himself, unlike the idiot currently lying spread-eagled on the floor in front of me.

"What the hell are we going to do with the election? Since you're the one telling us what to do, you better tell us everything," snarls the idiot, though he seems to be grudgingly conceding his self-appointed place as leader to me.

"It's simple."

I outline my plan. The first step is simple enough - we need a bigger front for our operations. Subsisting on selling produce from the current hydroponic arrays will not get us anywhere. To that end...

We need income. We can get it by various means - first and foremost I can optimize the hydroponic arrays to be more efficient, as well as contact Burnon's Salvage to team up with them in order to improve our financial standing. As I don't want to have my fingers in too many pies too fast, I will also opt to do only one more side-job:

A. Attempt to become an information broker using my wits. This will involve plenty of wheeling and dealing, but with the high risks come a higher payout, not to mention the information I receive may be of personal use.

B. Deal in drugs. Though the Commercial Quarter is flush with it, many of the refugee neighbourhoods have still remained mostly drug-free despite the attempts of the gangs to introduce it into the community. I should be able to succeed where they failed.

C. I don't take the risk of doing any side-jobs.

With the extra income, we can afford to spend on our little group's activities again. The direction of the organization should be thus:

A. We use the money to start up our charitable activities again, attempting to gain support amongst the refugee sector. Grassroots support is crucial; the ability to mobilize the refugees to my cause cannot be underestimated.

B. We begin investing in the Commercial Quarter, attempting to gain influence with the businessmen and criminal underground that run that particular quarter. Whoever controls the flow of money, controls the city.

C. We go straight to the top and begin bribing politicians. By arranging for meetings with key personnel of the government and prominent politicians on both sides of the divide, I am sure I can find a way to curry favour with those in power.

The organization should then be:

A. Religious, as the Apostles once were. It is easier to preach than to teach.

B. Secular; we can't really call ourselves a cult anymore, and I would like a fresh start.

(Suggest a name for the organization, or I will pick one)

Finally, my role in the new organization will be that of:

A. Leader in the shadows.

B. Leader in the open.

Voting will be open till Sunday as I am otherwise preoccupied over the weekend.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As a guide to current public opinion on Senya (which you can presume he has obtained with by talking to Emiri et al.), after Shulgi's revelations:

Civilian opinion:
Most believe he was framed by Shulgi, though there are still some who still think he was in cahoots with the man - it's mostly Shinari that hold this latter view. He is held in high regard by many of the Higashi refugees, partially because the super famous idol Qin Kawano has revealed that he was her bodyguard while working quietly to clear his name.

Military opinion:
Stories of his exploits have spread ever since the remnant of the Indus and UNS forces were co-opted into the Federation military, granting the soldiers the viewpoint of the other side. There is a considerable number of officers and grunts that believe Naim was wrongly accredited with his accomplishments, and the legendary black CF which terrorized the war for a scant few months is now a battlefield myth.

Government opinion:
The Federation would much prefer it if he does not appear again, though they cannot be seen to act against him publicly. This is because the Star League does not care a whit, seeing him as only a footnote in Shulgi's plots. Should he make himself known, the Federation will likely keep an eye on him to make sure he does not upset the established order. He has been presumed dead by the government since the Gray Death Incident, though they have made no official statements to the matter.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah. That seems more like it.
We want power, right? That's what we voted for just a few updates ago. If so, my vote goes for:
A
A
A
A B flopped after what treave wrote. We can use our name to gather even more support amongst the civilians, and about the government? Well, we're here to topple them and gather up the reins for ourselves, aren't we?

I might even make some arguments for those choices, but right now I'm at work and I really ought to be doing something else. :M

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
AAAB
Religion is a good vehicle for us to grow support and unify those beneath us. We're smart enough to become a prophet without much difficulty. Using a community focus with charitable activities compliments our religious focus, and should see our following grow faster. Being in the open is a risk, but in order to grow quickly it's a necessary step. Dealing in information will allow us to become aware of threats before they arrive, and to add to our divine legitimacy by making "prophecies" relying on the insider information we've attained and our own predictive abilities.

Anabanana

Augur
AABB.

I think that using our good name amongst the rebels to garner popular support is crucial to gaining more power, if that's what we're looking for. I'm thinking we should switch to a secular focus since there seems to be some resentment amongst these kids against the cult for sacrificing their parents, they don't seem particularly invested in Senya as a savior except for Emiri, and IIRC the cult should still have a bad reputation, especially amongst the demographic we want to sway over to our side? Can treave confirm if this is still the case? I mean, I remember them having a bad reputation before shit went down, so. So if we use the remnants of the cult to form a religious organization, that's probably not going to go down well. A secular charity without any religious insanity seems to be the way to go. (Unless you want a second shot at 'wholesome family bonding', I guess.)

Jester

Arbiter
Is this only short term choice for 3 months? Later we can try to get some other option to?

If its one time choice probably will go with ABBA.
If its only for 3 months i choose AABA.

1 A gives us nice information about all fractions here and drug trafficking can get us on bad side of cosa nostra.
2 A or B. A if we try to get voters for elections of course if they are allowed to vote. B let us deal with people actual in control of our area. Still believe that getting A can be quickly done later.
3 with A im afraid that we will going to have difficulties with competence of our followers it do not looks like we will make up-skilling of grunts any priority still will be easier to control them. If im wrong with that gonna change vote prob.
4 A cos don't see any important synergy with 3A and after we will get some power its nice to be able to scheme unchecked.

By secular you mean not overly religious rather than not religious at all?

If we go with more fanatical option we have to be head, otherwise we can get into trouble.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I think that using our good name amongst the rebels to garner popular support is crucial to gaining more power, if that's what we're looking for. I'm thinking we should switch to a secular focus since there seems to be some resentment amongst these kids against the cult for sacrificing their parents, they don't seem particularly invested in Senya as a savior except for Emiri, and IIRC the cult should still have a bad reputation, especially amongst the demographic we want to sway over to our side? Can treave confirm if this is still the case? I mean, I remember them having a bad reputation before shit went down, so. So if we use the remnants of the cult to form a religious organization, that's probably not going to go down well. A secular charity without any religious insanity seems to be the way to go. (Unless you want a second shot at 'wholesome family bonding', I guess.)

The religion will be an entirely different one of Senya's own invention, based on his experiences and what he thinks will work best to attract people. He doesn't believe in it, and neither do these founding members need to (after all, the Apostles themselves started off much the same way...). It'll be mostly non-confrontational and more philosophy, less mystic mumbo-jumbo (if you guys become an information broker and not a drug dealer - religion + drugs + refugees = potent synergy :lol:).

Apostles' reputation is still shit because Shulgi claimed he was the mastermind behind them. They aren't off the hook for anything they did.

Is this only short term choice for 3 months? Later we can try to get some other option to?.

The next update will be set perhaps about a month later, after the first efforts have borne fruit. After that, things should begin happening as the election date gets closer and the campaigning gets more intensive. Secular means not religious at all. You could probably call it humanist if you need to.

edit: No block voting here either.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
What reason are you guys voting secular for? It only serves to diminish our own power. We're competent enough to pull a Muhammad, a fanatical religion devoted to us only serves to strengthen our cause. When belief and will are iron, where men are united under one banner and their purpose is indefatigable, they are inevitably the victor. When they are willing to make any sacrifice, regardless of the cost, we will be unstoppable.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We're not going on the fanatic path. You guys missed the boat on that one. It has more liabilities than it brings benefits anyway, so from a practical standpoint current Senya does not need a bunch of crazy religionists willing to die for him, especially considering the present political climate.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I dislike religion. That's why. We should seek to enlighten them not merely control them. They must follow us on their own accord, not because religion states so.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Henceforth, my brothers, our name shall be...

THE SEEKERS OF THE GOLDEN JAR

Will vote after work.

Anabanana

Augur
We're not going on the fanatic path. You guys missed the boat on that one. It has more liabilities than it brings benefits anyway, so from a practical standpoint current Senya does not need a bunch of crazy religionists willing to die for him, especially considering the present political climate.

Welp. Definitely sticking to a secular organization in that case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom