Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh?
images

Tempting.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
The first sample makes me want to flop to A. Will wait the rest first though.

Zwist

Learned
Edit: Zwist I just wawtched what you placed I can't believe some one actually used Yamato for that Horrible song...

And it is not even the only one.
It's a weakness of mine, badly cut anime-music-videos. Some of those are unintentionally hilarious.

I really love those previews :love:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sample D

The dead woman’s neck and limbs are twisted at right angles to her body. I check the eyes, noting the barcode imprinted near the bottom of the left orb. “Control, do you see this?” I stretch the eyelids wide open so that the camera built into my eyepatch can get a good image.

“Affirmative. We will run a scan and provide you with the results within thirty minutes,” comes a soothing female voice through my earpiece.

“There’s no rush.” I say as I turn my head away from the corpse. No one’s around. I take the chance to swiftly dig my gloved fingers into the socket and pluck out the eye. Its surface is jelly soft, just like the real thing, but I can feel the hard metal core right beneath the organic covering. “Send over the cleaner robots immediately for corpse identification and disposal.”

“Roger that, Black. Control out.”

I seal the eye in a standard-issue biohazard bag and pocket it, stuffing the plastic packet into one of the inner pockets of my trench-coat. The blue lights in the distance indicate that the Kyoto Metropolitan Police are on their way, along with the cleaner robots I had called for. I have no business with them for now; I slip out of the alleyway and meld into the crowd. Tapping my earpiece, I get in contact with Azo.

“Minister, the tip-off was correct.”

“Another dead augment?” sighs his weary voice.

“Yeah. This one is mostly civilian-grade.”

“Do you know her name?”

“No, but Control is working on it. I’ve never seen her before, so she could have left before I started. The modus operandi is a match for Cyber Jack’s; forced neural hacking in close proximity, causing augmented parts to run out of control and kill the owner by accident.”

“A serial killer running around targeting augments is the last thing we need. How close are we to tracking him down?”

“Not very; he's good at hiding his tracks. By the way, Minister, I believe that he isn’t a mere serial killer.”

“Explain, Senya.”

“I remember that we have a suspect for a robbery case that happened just yesterday. Reports say that it was an augment. The physical and cybernetic profile matches that of the victim. Also, coincidentally, this victim is in possession of a cortical implant, unlike Cyber Jack’s previous prey. As augments are required to be registered with the government and tracked at all times, it would be quite stupid of them to commit petty crimes. I believe that once Control returns the results of their search, you will find that I am correct on the identity of this victim.”

“You mean…”

“Yes. I suspect that he’s able to perform cognitive hacking at an unprecedented level. Mind control, if you would prefer to call it that, Minister.”

“How many-“

I reply promptly. “3,096,150 people have registered cortical implants in Higashi. 60% of them work in analyst jobs for the corporations. 37% are employed by the government. The remaining 3% consist of the most powerful and wealthiest men in the country. Including you.”

I hear a deep hiss on the other side of the conversation, as Azo grasps the gravity of the situation.

“We need counter-measures.”

“I agree.”

“Do you have any leads?”

“The Muramasa Foundation is the leading source of cortical prosthesis research and sales in the country. The victim’s implant was installed by them. I believe we should start there. In fact, the mother of the current president, Kazuya Muramasa, was a known cultist before she took her life about a year ago. I’m sure investigating the Muramasa Foundation will dredge up some useful information.”

There is a brief pause as Azo looks through his files.

“I’m afraid there are no intern positions available right now. They do need a musician for their cafeteria, though.”

“Which instrument?”

“The piano.”

“I can do that.”

“I’ll arrange for it, then. You will start work next week. Please don’t turn this into an paper-work hell like the last case. It took me months to clean up the aftermath.”

“No promises, Minister.” I chuckle softly. "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys." After all, in that 'paper-work hell', they had neglected some vanishing evidence which proved to be of considerable use to my personal goals.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sample E

My cardboard box needs fixing. The humid weather and frequent rains in Shulgipolis means that cardboard doesn't last for long, but it is all I can afford. Being an ally of justice when you are homeless, penniless and a fugitive from the world government isn't easy. By day I panhandle in the streets; disguising my identity from anyone who might want to turn me in for a lucrative bounty. By night I put on my helmet and patrol those very same streets. It doesn't help that my arrival happened to coincide with the launching of what I deem to be the worst reality TV show on earth - the League of Superheroes.

Apparently the UNS government had the exact same idea that I did; after the tragic fire-bombing and the attempted coup d'etat, they needed something to bring up the morale of its civilians. The League of Superheroes was their answer. They selected the most telegenic pro-athletes, ex-soldiers, mercenaries and other volunteers from all around the world to participate in a television programme, where every week they competed to see who could solve the most crimes in the flashiest manner. The participants would each be assigned a superhero name. What they could not achieve within human technological limits, they compensated for with gadgets and holograms. This allowed them to create realistic simulacrums of heroes that were able to sling fire and summon ice, just like in all the fantastical stories that children read. Viewings have soared sky-high since the initial pilot episode. The executives must be rolling in cash right now.

Well, no matter. What I need to do now is fix my cardboard home. Unlike the superheroes in the league, living off fat payments from their corporate sponsors in their penthouse apartments, I do have to maintain my own place. As long as I work hard, I'll be an inspiration to kids everywhere, right? Right. I think I'm making good progress; I even managed to get on TV the other day, as the local crew ran a special on the mysterious helmeted vigilante that had been defeating thugs independently of the League of Superheroes. Unfortunately, it appears that the stink of homelessness stays even if I have a helmet over my head: the next day, I found out that my nickname was now the "Hobo Rider."

I sigh. Perhaps I should suck it up and try to apply for the League - life would be easier with the stipend they give their lower ranking heroes... but they would definitely need to see my identification if I do. I'm out of luck there.

My alarm rings. Damn. I was just about to put the finishing touches on laminating the cardboard too. It's time to go on patrol; I'll have to finish it later and hope it doesn't rain later tonight. I put on my dirty black jacket and the black helmet that I had brought all the way from the Republic. They're a bit scuffed from the fights I've been in, but they've been good companions. Well, time to get to my second job.

I wonder what adventures I'll have this time?

As I walk out of my cardboard home, it goes up in flames behind me. There's my answer.

"Hobo Rider, you are a threat to society with your illegal vigilantism! I have finally tracked you down!"

A helicopter whirs overhead, shining its spotlight into my eyes. I look up at it, noting the insignia on the side as it circles around the burning ruins of my former home. It's a TV helicopter from the League of Superheroes.

"I am the B-ranked hero Firestar, here to burn the shiftless and the wicked with my flames of judgement! This message was brought to you by Fanucci Sausages." shouts the figure clad in red spandex standing before me, smoke rising from a barrel mounted on each of his wrists. Indeed, there is a large image of a sausage displayed rather strategically on Firestar's spandex.

"Come in quietly and I shall spare you a fiery punishment, Hobo Rider." declares Firestar loudly while making a heroic pose that thrusts his sausage out rather prominently.

Oh, for fuck's sake. Which TV exec thought it was a bright idea to pit his fire-retarded superhero against a poor, homeless vigilante?

And he had to go and burn my house down. I spent hours making it.

That's it. I've had enough. I activate my ability and sink into the freezing cold. It's time for the Hobo Rider to become really famous.

I might even get a new nickname.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There won't be a sample for F, because you do nothing. :troll:

Well, doesn't mean that something doesn't happen, but let's keep it a mystery choice of sorts.

I'll close voting in about 24 to 36 hours from now.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hobo Rider for the win!!! :yeah:

Seriously though, if you think you scared me off of that choice with that sample, you couldn't be more wrong. Ohyeah. I'm all over E now. :mhd:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
"I am the B-ranked hero Firestar, here to burn the shiftless and the wicked with my flames of judgement! This message was brought to you by Fanucci Sausages." shouts the figure clad in red spandex standing before me, smoke rising from a barrel mounted on each of his wrists. Indeed, there is a large image of a sausage displayed rather strategically on Firestar's spandex.

"Come in quietly and I shall spare you a fiery punishment, Hobo Rider." declares Firestar loudly while making a heroic pose that thrusts his sausage out rather prominently.

Oh+9%C2%ADgag...+you+so+gay+_2f845ead3caae4ea63fd297091a22425.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't intend to scare anyone off any choice. :lol:

I'm doing the samples because each represents a plot I'm interested in writing, though they will all tie into the main storyline in the end. Figured I'd give this preview to clarify what you guys were gonna get. Bear in mind that it's not representative of the final product, just the style and basic plot elements you can expect to find. The superhero choice might be a bit different from expectations because I'm frankly uninterested in doing grimdark hero prowling the streets for avenging justice, while the corporate superhero is a rather fresher cliche to draw from.

Current tally, for easier access. I'm interested in seeing if putting up the samples will change things any.

edit: Edited for flops:

A - 6
C - 1
D - 8
E - 1

ScubaV

Prophet
They all sound like good choices. I personally still want A, but sadly it's not looking good for piracy. The superhero route seems like it has the most potential for comedy (aside from the mad rammer Captain Garland). And JC Denton is always badass.

This is how I picture Senya in F:
Master_Roshi_2_by_liamgard.png

Baltika9

Arcane
Thanks for the samples, treave, I really enjoyed them.
Oh, hell, E is just too damned funny. Thing is, I don't really understand what we will get from D and E; the only choice that gives us goals and opportunities that make sense are C and A: we either go to space to investigate the suspicious shit, or Skane to investigate and tear down the Federarion and, as I undestand it, to reinstall Kyrie to the throne. Hell, at least we have the opportunity to become Emperor-Consort in C.

As for D and E, I don't see where we can take them; either we play superhero-for-a-paycheck for whatever reason, or we work for Azo in a political landscape where we have zero skill (player and character wise) and work for people that don't have the highest of opinions of us, again, for an unclear endgoal; and where being recognized will lead to a very bad end. And I'm betting that usurping Azo's network will come with a million strings attached by Shulgi, since he's been at this for four millenia.

I dunno, E is funny as hell, while A and C have nice long-term benefits. I'll need to think about this more.

Bloodshifter

Educated
Treave E is tempting but I must remain with F I intend to keep at it in order to revive Yua and face down the Threat of the Masters.

The way I see it is this world is done we missed every chance to influence in any manner lost our AI and our 'weeboo' of choice the Cult is hung like a Lamb and Shulgi is up to his Advancing the human race. Plans per usual i'd rather sit quietly at home sercetly gather intel, honing our powers, and making a mech of Fuck the World Power then run around playing Hero or Lap Dog. The world iis done with us? Nay we are done with the world.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I would really like to see both A and D through. I was just starting to enjoy the whole mech fighting when it ended and being a secret agent just sounds too great to pass. Could we combine those?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There will be piloting in A, C and D, while there are far less chances to do so in B and E.

Baltika9

Arcane
Flopping to A, since I would preffer us to investigate the anomalies in space and get a personal fleet. Although ideally I'd like Queenmaking with C. I just hope we don't end up moping like 'ol Jimmy Raynor over Kyrie's picture in a run-down frontier bar.

Esquilax

Arcane
Fuck it, let's be a pirate. We've already got the eyepatch, and I don't like doing things half-assed.

Flopping to A. Flopped my original post.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Flopping to C.

(Didn't change my original post.)

Hmm. One thing bugs me about all these choices...

So Senya's best friend get's kidnapped... He know's who did it... And his response is to... A - Become a space pirate. B - Become a mobster. C - free skane (Code Geass Gieloth). who the hell cares about skane? D - go back home and get a government job (ghost MHD in the shell). E - become homeless...and some sort of wannabe hero (one punch tentacle man). F - do nothing.

Where's the option that let's us look for Kyrie? I'm going with C now. This is all...odd. Shulgi, whoever he is, told us to do nothing. The other choices don't make sense and look like they could lead to us screwing things up worse. edit: Screw it. Let's be Zero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom