Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

oscar

Arcane
A

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Declining the king's order doesn't sound the brightest move we could make, sure Shulgi is likely plotting behind our back, and Naram seems suspiciously honest, but I don't see how we can easily maneuver around this. So...

A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Edited the choices for a bit more clarity. This is a major branching point so if there is any information you need to make a decision, feel free to ask.

Also, updated with a new choice!

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B

I don't trust that sheep boy but I trust the astrologer less. We definitely should conquer them before slaughtering Pharaos.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
A. Time to conquer Egypt, slice a piece of territory for ourselves and begin to secure the future seat of Mankind's Emperah.

Esquilax

Arcane
A

We should have killed these two fucks from the start, I see that now. I was reluctant to do it at first because I didn't want to start off by doing something so dickish, but it would have been smart. Sure, we would have made enemies for eternity, but at least we could continue to create empires and hone our powers for the next few decades/centuries without their meddling.

We are warriors so choosing A is natural, and we'd have the King at our side to boot. Shulgi and Naram probably distrust each other as much as we distrust them, so let them plot and scheme against one another. B is playing their game, not the game of war that we're proficient at.

newcomer

Learned
A

We can also gain some superpower in the battlefield, quite handy for putting those 2 plotters in their rightful place (read: coffin, of course they will be killed every time they regenerate)

ScubaV

Prophet
"Ean, what is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Am I that bad at making choices seem equally attractive? Ah well. A takes it by a landslide.

Chapter 1.5: The Battle for Memphis

The decision was made for you to accompany the king and lead his army. In his absence his eldest son Rimush would govern the city-states of Sumer.

During the journey, guided by the voices, you made great improvements to the military organization and logistics of the army. By the time you reached the sands of Egypt with the mighty Sumerian host, all five thousand of the men were well fed and disciplined. Your ability to read other people allowed you to group the men and appoint leaders efficiently to ensure there was little conflict within the army. Indeed, as you exercised your power, you found that it grew; now you are able to catch flashes of actual thought, instead of nebulous intentions, when you are in physical contact with another. This did not come without drawbacks, however. It was difficult for you to be in combat initially, as in the rush of battle you picked up every single dying scream; all of the rage, fear and hatred assailed your mind and you were lucky not to have fainted in the middle of the battlefield. Soon you learnt to tune it out, although a disquieting rumble of emotions always surged through you whenever battle was joined.

The great discipline and coordination of the Sumerian army utterly broke all Egyptian resistance. All across the desert, they could only muster and scrounge up bands of a few dozen warriors to feed the well-oiled fighting machine that you have created. The efficiency of your organization was clear to all the warriors of the army, and even the king, himself no slouch at military matters, was greatly impressed. He began to rely more and more upon you to direct the battles.

By the third month of your arrival, the Sumerian army was already at the gates of Memphis, capital of the old Egyptian kingdom.

Your army still boasted 4800 men ready and willing to fight, buoyed by their constant victories. On the other side, surprisingly, the Egyptians had managed to gather close to 3000 warriors from all over their kingdom. You wonder where they were hiding all this time, but it was definitely a futile effort. Your army had better armour and equipment, were far more disciplined, and outnumbered them by nearly 2000. The conclusion was foregone.

At least, if it wasn't for what came next.

As your army lines up opposite the enemy in formation, a sudden sandstorm kicks in from inland, blinding your army's vision.

This is a real problem, guys.
On the bright side, we've found at least one of them.
Judging from the strength of this effect, it's probably hiding amongst those eye-liner wearing poofs on the other side.

Hearing those enigmatic words, you have questions that you want to ask them, but the coming battle takes priority. Suddenly, you hear screams and the clashing of steel from the right flank. Turning to look, you see a horrible sight.

Jackal-headed beasts are manifesting from the sand and tossing soldiers aside like rag-dolls. At the same time, a massive roar arises from the Egyptian lines. As the wind quietens and the sand settles, you see that the Egyptian warriors have begun to charge, with at least a hundred chariots leading the way. The jackal monsters are still wreaking havoc on the right, although their numbers have lessened - mundane bronze appears to have an effect on the beasts. King Sargon laughs. "Monsters! Demons! Do they think that will stop me? The gods themselves are with me! Warriors of Akkad, we go now to claim all of Egypt!"

He leads his chariots in a head-on charge at the Egyptian army. Numbers and technology are on his side, and he should be able to break through just like he has with all the other enemies he has destroyed over the years. You hear a sudden howl. A few of the jackal-beasts have noticed the king's charge, and they bound after him, breaking off from the flank.

A. You ride after the king to support his head-on charge and ward off the jackal-beasts. You would do better to defeat the Egyptian army first. According to what the voices have said, you could be able to end the jackal-beasts if you hunt down the cause amongst the Egyptian army using your slight telepathic ability. You are the only one who can do this.

B. The right flank is collapsing. Feeling a wave of terror rising from the men still holding a flank, you go to rally the men there and destroy the jackal-beasts. The king is an experienced warrior himself, surrounded by some of the best warriors in the army. He should be able to manage the frontline while you prevent a total rout on the right. If you do not support them right now, they will flee.

C. Seriously, fuck this shit, says one of the voices. You agree. You flee into the wilderness, away from the battle.

Again, if anyone needs information that they think can help them to make a decision, feel free to request for it.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave: It's usually tougher to make difficult choices at the very early stages given that people want to develop the character along certain lines. This choice is already a lot tougher, so you're doing fine.

Out of cold military pragmatism, I am voting for A.

The decision was made for you to accompany the king and lead his army. In his absence his eldest son Rimush would govern the city-states of Sumer.

...The efficiency of your organization was clear to all the warriors of the army, and even the king, himself no slouch at military matters, was greatly impressed. He began to rely more and more upon you to direct the battles.

Judging from the strength of this effect, it's probably hiding amongst those eye-liner wearing poofs on the other side.

If Sargon is slain in battle, guess who'll be whispering in his son's ear when we come back home from our campaign? Sargon respects us and trusts in our skill - who knows what his son will think?

The risk of him dying could really fuck up the morale of our men even worse than a rout. It's a hard choice to make given our character's empathic abilities, but finding out who this immortal in the Egyptian ranks is and taking his head are essential to the war effort. He'll only cause more problems down the line, so if we put him out of commission now, we will have less trouble in the campaign later.

Flopped to B. We are destined for greater things than any one mortal, and I can't leave those men to die like that.

newcomer

Learned
treave: It's usually tougher to make difficult choices at the very early stages given that people want to develop the character along certain lines. This choice is already a lot tougher, so you're doing fine.

Out of cold military pragmatism, I am voting for A.

...The efficiency of your organization was clear to all the warriors of the army, and even the king, himself no slouch at military matters, was greatly impressed. He began to rely more and more upon you to direct the battles.

If Sargon is slain in battle, guess who'll be whispering in his son's ear when we come back home from our campaign? Sargon respects us and trusts in our skill - who knows what his son will think?

The risk of him dying could really fuck up the morale of our men even worse than a rout. It's a hard choice to make given our character's empathic abilities, but finding out who this immortal in the Egyptian ranks is and taking his head are essential to the war effort. He'll only cause more problems down the line, so if we put him out of commission now, we will have less trouble in the campaign later.

This. Taking down the boss is the only way to end this shit.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't know, we're becoming a bit of an inspiration to the troops. If the king is killed, we'll be in temporary control of the army, they might even follow us beyond that... We could, potentially, make ourselves king by blood and fire.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't know, we're becoming a bit of an inspiration to the troops. If the king is killed, we'll be in temporary control of the army, they might even follow us beyond that... We could, potentially, make ourselves king by blood and fire.

That sounds about right. The men already respect us greatly and if we save them against the demons, they'll follow us to the ends of the Earth, dead King or no. I could easily see our telepathic abilities manifesting into something akin to Battle Meditation from Star Wars as our skills evolve. However, if the King dies and we take Egypt, we can't go back to Sumeria - Naram and Shulgi are both going to be more adept at the political game and they're going to try and convince Sargon's son that we killed him on the campaign in order to usurp the throne.

Perhaps I'll flop my post after I've thought it over a bit more. Right now, I'm sticking with A.

oscar

Arcane
An interesting decision. But which is more conductive to victory, saving the right flank or knocking out the jackals/saving the king?

I'd be conflicted about his death. He's a bro and as said, I can see the other two plotting to blame us for it and poison his son against us. But then again, we could lead a coup with our loyal and disciplined army..

Esquilax

Arcane
An interesting decision. But which is more conductive to victory, saving the right flank or knocking out the jackals/saving the king?

I'd be conflicted about his death. He's a bro and as said, I can see the other two plotting to blame us for it and poison his son against us. But then again, we could lead a coup with our loyal and disciplined army..

The coup would have problems as well. Our powers are developing, but so are theirs. I could see a guy like Shulgi becoming a terrifying sorceror who can decimate a good portion of our army single-handed. Our men would have to be extremely disciplined from our leadership to withstand him. Naram the shepherd I see as more of the trickster-type: he'll shapeshift into our form the night before battle to lead our men into an ambush.

And I do really want to develop our guy as some sort badass, benevolent Warrior-Poet type of guy.

But then again, even if the King is alive they could plot to have him killed and have our man Ean framed for the deed. I am itching to find out what this immortal with his jackal-demons is capable of as well.

XenomorphII

Prophet
A. Taking out the guy controlling the jackals is probably better long run then rushing over to fight the jackals, as who is to say that he won't just make more. Also keeping the king alive is probably in our best interests right now until our power develops more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom