Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
oh, I fully stand behind all those choices; i voted for all of them. It's just a funny combination, is all.
True, although I would much rather it be "read adventure novels, punch suckers in the face and get high all day, every day... just like Uncle Shulgi."
Edit: screw it, flopping from Shulgi to Butterfield.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In the Meantime (II)

The Epic of Ean is the seminal work of Mehlua Khaledski, one of the most prominent historians of her time (that is, about two hundred years ago). It was the product of thirty years of painstaking research on the folklore surrounding the First Emperor of the Shinar Empire. Unfortunately, her reputation was tarnished by its publication – overnight, an entire industry based around criticism of her writing sprang up in bookshops and cafes. Mehlua had chosen the controversial method of writing in second person throughout the entire book. She had never explained why exactly, but current modern thought holds the theory that she had intended the readers to feel as if they were the First Emperor himself.

As for the tales inscribed within, they are an impressive compilation of his myth. From the historical records of a King Ean in ancient Akkad, to the ending tale of the Emperor lost in Olympus, Mehlua had managed to gather all the stories she could plausibly link together. Of course, in these enlightened days, no one believes a word of it. How could one man live for five hundred years?

I do not really believe it either, but there are stories within about mysterious creatures that the Emperor either fought or consorted with, depending on who is telling the tale. These strange beasts were formed from a multitude of black tendrils. I stare at my hand, wondering if it could be related. That aside, I found the military strategems utilised by the First Emperor interesting. I make a note to brush up on my knowledge of modern military tactics and see if I can't apply any lessons from the past.

After reading through the whole book, I can't spot any differences in the content of the copy Shulgi gave me from what is freely available online, but perhaps there is something else. I look through the book again.

There it is.

At certain points the fonts are different. This could mean something. I get Yua to scan and analyse the book. It takes a couple of weeks, but by the end of it I have something; an encrypted document. Decrypting it gives me the source code for a program. I have it compiled. As it turns out, it is a game of some sorts...

“...member of the royal guard... astrologer's apprentice... shepherd...” I mutter as I read. It seems to be a text adventure based off the Epic of Ean. There are choices you can make at certain points in the story. The first choice asks me to decide whether I should kill the apprentice and the shepherd, convince them to lie, tell the truth, or flee into the wilderness.

I pick the last choice. The program returns an error message. All of the other choices give me the same thing except for the choice to spin a story. I sigh. If this is a game, it isn't very well-made. It doesn't even offer me the illusion of choice like the Physware games that are all the rage right now. Clicking on the correct – and only possible – choice, brings up a text box.

'Why?' it asks.

There is a text box for me to answer the program. I type in, “Because.” It doesn't work. It looks like I can only progress if I am able to answer why I would pick that choice. I try another answer. “I do not trust the king.” doesn't work. Neither does “Why should I tell the truth in this situation?” It looks like the program is looking for a specific answer. If it is really based off the Epic of Ean, perhaps I would have to understand how the character thought, and why he made the decisions he did, to progress in the game.

When I ask Shulgi about it, he denies any knowledge of the program, though he tells me he'd like to play it too. I'm not convinced, but I drop the matter for now.

As it turns out, Erika isn't a very good coach.

“So if the enemy goes psaaaaaah, like this, then you need to turn your sword and go zuuuuuuuuup, like that.”

I don't really understand, but Michael appears to be able to. He's very earnest at mimicking her moves, and though he isn't anywhere as fast or strong, he has the basics down faster than me. After the first week, he begins translating Erika's teachings to me. There are many things to learn; the way I position my body, the way I grip the hilt, where I should point the edge of my sword, what I should look out for in the enemy's stance. I might not be able to fight against superhumans like Erika immediately, but with the techniques I've learnt, I can probably defend myself against one for a while, even without using my abilities.

The regular sparring also improves my physical condition until I am able to defeat Michael in 8 out of 10 fights. Well... that's not really anything to be proud of, but I started off with a record of 3 in 10.

As my training continues, Kyrie begins to come to the club to check on my progress. We're still nowhere near ready to challenge the kendo club, and I don't even have the prerequisite number of members. It is quite hard to get members when I've gained the added reputation of being a streaker; I still don't know who spread that particular rumour. To my surprise, Kyrie offers to be the fourth member of the club. Apparently she knows some Western fencing, and isn't a bad athlete herself. Telling me to be grateful, she signs her name on the club recruitment form.

Now I only need one more person.

Keiko is more than willing to help me with creating the concoction. There are some ingredients that can be synthesized only by the cult's laboratories, and she procures those for me, assuring me that these won't be missed. I take over a chemistry lab in the academy to do the deed, pretending to be taking extra classes for all the days I missed school. When the brew is complete, it has all the look of a sparkling, golden elixir. Pretty impressive for my first time, says Keiko.

I drink it. The taste is sweet, like nectar... it is quite refreshing. I wait for a while... nothing happens to my body. I don't feel any different. Keiko looks at me, puzzled. Apparently I'm supposed to get visions about now and go into a trance, just like her Mistress.

Thirty minutes later, nothing has changed. She checks the elixir again; I ask her if she won't test it for me. Keiko shakes her head, saying that she was not permitted to drink it as her rank isn't high enough. She insists it is abnormal that nothing is happening; all those touched by the Devi get visions when they drink the elixir. I assume she means people with tentacles. I shrug, and test my powers. I instantly feel the difference.

My mind slips into the state much more easily, instead of requiring a lot of concentration. I'm also able to switch it on and off without having the side effects hit me, though they do still appear when I run out of time - I also have more time now, being able to maintain the heightened state for up to fifteen minutes. Testing the elixir further, I find that the effect seems to be temporary, lasting a few hours for every vial I imbibe. The elixir also has the function of slightly suppressing the after-effects of my power.

Over-use of this could be dangerous, though. Looking at the ingredients, there are some powerful stimulants that could lead to addiction. With time I might be able to work out a safer version of the drug, but for now I should only use it when absolutely necessary.

I hope I spent my time wisely. Many things happened as we awaited Relius to spring his trap on the Emperor. Anna brought my family to visit. I missed them plenty; we talked about my experience at school and how they were doing. I did not tell them about the recent events that had become the center of my life - no point in letting them worry about it. My friendship with the girls became a pretty common topic of ribbing while they were here. Apparently I should at least try to get a girlfriend, say my parents, but that really is the furthest thing from my mind at the moment. My little sister didn't get along well with Kyrie when she dropped by though. It was like watching two cats hissing at each other.

In the mean time, the police could not track down Julius nor the storage facility. I decide that it would be more advantageous to capture him and Relius red-handed. If their target is the Emperor, they will have to carry out their plan when he arrives, and since the ISC is already monitoring traffic and cargo in and out of Olympus, it is unlikely that he would be able to sneak the creatures out of town. We will just have to keep a watchful eye out for any actions he makes.

The day before the Emperor's arrival, Kyrie, Erika and Keiko each approach me with a different plan...

A. Kyrie requests that I stand guard at her side while she is with her father. She says that since I have been so involved with the case, I have the right to be there if I want to. This is a position of honour which also allows me to protect the Emperor directly should I wish to. Unfortunately, it would also put me right in the line of fire when the shit hits the fan.

B. Erika tells me that her brother seems to be planning something terrible, according to what she has heard from members of the group that are still friendly to her - though their loyalty to her brother is still not in question. This might be something that goes beyond Relius's intentions. She wants me to go with her to confront her brother about his plans for the Dunamis clan.

C. Keiko tells me that though the cult has been unwilling to act against Relius, her Mistress will lend me some aid if I wish it, as a token of good-will. I am to meet her at a pre-arranged place in town and act together with some cultists to abduct both Relius and Julius on the day the Emperor arrives, before they can carry out their plot. This should be the quickest way to solve the problem.

D. I've managed to take control of most of the systems in the town without the ISC realizing it. With Yua at the helm, my eyes and ears are everywhere. Olympus is now my fortress. Friends? Enemies? Who gives a damn anyway. It is time to finish this farcical play in the way that benefits me the most. The ISC. Relius. The cult. All of them will dance in the palm of my hand.

E. Together with Michael and Garius, the core members of the Kenjutsu Club are ready to protect the peace and defend the Emperor. We'll sneak around and watch his back with our Ninjutsu skills... wait, when did we learn to become a ninja anyway? Well, that doesn't matter, does it? We can do this. Ganbatte!

F. Let's do this on a Case-By-Case (CBC) basis. I'll probably stay at home and watch TV until something happens... then I'll decide what to do.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Still a bit disappointed that we didn't get to tinker with the specs for giant mechs. I mean, that's what we agreed to do for the ISC, right? Ohwell, maybe later. :M

[EDIT]
And having Senya start thinking more like Ean. Good thing or bad? :troll:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Cool, nice update. I'm disappointed D and E didn't win, but you can't win them all. I'm glad we still got some Kyrie points with B and (possibly?) A. Bring on the Emperor's visit and our utter failure.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As of the last update, Kyrie points and Keiko points are tied. Erika still lags behind slightly, but only by one point. That's close enough that I'm offering their three routes as choices - check the update again. The only choices missing from there is the Weeaboo route and the Yua route.

You fuckers, you did a good job of keeping the points close. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Got him, although this will sound completely bonkers
Still, it's not the time to get all interested in this. Escaping is more important. I look through the computer again. Mentions of the Apostles of the Golden Womb are frequent; they appear to be the source of all this technology – none of it willingly given. Julius has stolen the equipment from the Apostles somehow. Delving further, I find a map of the building I am in, and a manifesto of a storage facility somewhere in the town. Julius has been creating these things for close to a year. There are already fifty of these creatures; it takes him nearly a week to make one. I also find records of field tests of their control systems – I must have walked right into one on my first night here. The last thing of interest I manage to find is a memo to make sure their release is orderly. I check the date of their release; it is the same date that Kyrie's father visits. Is it just a simple assassination attempt after all?
Relius may have been planning this thing far in advance: sponsor Gallardo's amateurish necromancy, someone with absolutely no ties to either the Apostles or the Shinar and hence expendable, and create a force for a "hit" on The Emperor. At the same time, hire the Dunamis group to save his ass
“Wait, go back to that file.” Kyrie interjected, asking to look at one of the documents. I comply, bringing up the information.

“That date's familiar...”

“It's about two months from now.”

“Ah, that's it. My father is coming to visit the Academy at that time. We're having a big ceremony planned.”

I check the file again. It's a raw text file that had been pieced together from scrap data in his inbox. “He's corresponding with a Julius Gallardo when he mentions this date. Have you heard of him before?”

“Gallardo... Julius. Right, Julius. He's a student at the school.”

“You mean, our school?”

“Where else? He's the class representative of 4-A. You would have met him if... well.”

“Thank you.” I reply acidly. She has the good manners to be embarrassed about it, and does not respond. “It is suspicious that Relius is writing to a student at the academy about a date when your father is supposed to arrive. Maybe he plans to try something with monsters?”

“That would be a little too obvious, and my father is quite well guarded. Besides, there's still the mystery of why he would hire the Dunamis security group.”

“Speaking of which, how long are they staying, exactly?”

“If I'm not mistaken, their stay has been booked for another two months... ah.”

“It seems too convenient to be a coincidence.” It seems that everywhere I turn, more questions pop up. I'm probably in over my head here... perhaps I should just call it a day and stop this probing.
And when the time comes, he'll be the man that saved the Emperor's life and an all-around good guy, giving him enough personal leverage to secure Kyrie as his bride and give him enough influence to become heir to the throne and corporation.
Yeah, I've lost it again.
Voting C, Senya is in no way suited for being on ground zero and we have absolutely no leverage within Erika's clan. He is, however, excellent material for a spy/infiltrator.
'Why?' it asks.

There is a text box for me to answer the program. I type in, “Because.” It doesn't work. It looks like I can only progress if I am able to answer why I would pick that choice. I try another answer. “I do not trust the king.” doesn't work. Neither does “Why should I tell the truth in this situation?” It looks like the program is looking for a specific answer. If it is really based off the Epic of Ean, perhaps I would have to understand how the character thought, and why he made the decisions he did, to progress in the game.
This is just depressing, our new protagonist cannot comprehend the meaning of being a true bro.:(
Apparently, people found it more important to play with swords. :M
Well, since we're going Full Steam Weeaboo, might as well do it with style
DMC3Vergil.png
M:
Edit: now we just need to find that other red guy. I'm sure he'll be the truebro.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Got him, although this will sound completely bonkers.

No point hiding it now (because that's not all there is to it :lol:). You got it. That's Relius's 'master plan', which is apparently about to be totally foiled by a bunch of a high school students. This is the essence of school-life anime. Congratulations. You are now animu.

As to why exactly Relius is setting it up in this manner, there are a few reasons for that which will be explained in the coming update.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Fuck those choices.. Oh man. I'm not fond of C. A little less leery of A, even though we're far from combat specced. B might be the lesser of three evils as I see it, Erika's pretty chummy with us, and sparring with her means that we might, for a short while, hold our own against a supernatural adversary, even without being boosted.

Argh..

Will ponder a bit more.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I feel obliged to point out that you won't be alone up there. Kyrie and Butterfield are around, and the Emperor has his own bodyguards along for the ride. You might not need to do anything except cower behind the seats when the shooting starts. :M

edit: There's going to be dangerous choices no matter which route you pick. Since I'm going to be doing the equivalent of reloading here, don't worry too much about heading into bad ends. Certain bad ends might even be worth getting for exposition purposes.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A (I kind of wish we went the Yua path now though. Megalomaniac tech genius supported by his AI girlfriend. Anime Yes Man.)

Baltika9

Arcane
Here's how I see the situation: going with the cult is our best bet, because of the skills we already have and are good at. Hacking, infiltration and fast, explosive action; Senya isn't well suited to prolonged combat, as we've seen and heard, so that means A will put us out of our element. B, on the other hand, has us walking into the compound of a clan that hates us by our nature and is loyal to Erika's brother. Sure, we may be able to hold our own against the guy for a while, but it's his friends I'm worried about (then again, we just might find out why one doesn't fuck with Shulgi).
The only downside I see to C is this
(because that's not all there is to it :lol:)
we may be put into a situation where Relius loses control of his plan and/or Erika's brother tries something completely retarded; whereupon we will be forced to react.
edit: There's going to be dangerous choices no matter which route you pick. Since I'm going to be doing the equivalent of reloading here, don't worry too much about heading into bad ends. Certain bad ends might even be worth getting for exposition purposes.
Exposition by whom. I wonder?
Edit: and for those of you who are concerned with Senya's sex counter, think of this. We're the Cult's Messiah. The Cult is known to have orgies. It is staffed with quite a few women. Do the math.
Edit 2: although going with Kyrie may have us end up playing Vergil. Maybe, eventually. Hmm...

Zwist

Learned
Boy oh boy D. and E. would have been genius :lol:
But as things stand, A.
This is also in order to steer away from too extreme paths and towards the one most likely having giant robots in it.
What speaks against it: We might end up eradicating a special someones family, while saving them in B, maybe even turning them into an ally (remember, Relius is not who they think he is).
C is just... Na, no golden Vagina for me.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
C doesn't really solve the problem if their plan is already in motion, B puts us in the same room with dozens of monster hunters who believe we were killed by Erika. Maybe they'll finish the job once we get there?

D would have been awesome. But A it is.

Esquilax

Arcane
This is stupid - why didn't we decide to put Relius away for good when we had the opportunity to last choice? You don't let an enemy of yours escape and give him the opportunity to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, you take him out before he can get back up. But I guess it's no different from me at seventeen; I'd rather hang out with hot, secretly slutty religious chicks and smoke dope than get off my ass too, so I suppose it's appropriate.

I dunno what we should pick for this choice - leaning towards B, I suppose. I might flop to A, I'd much rather save the Emperor if we can.

B

Bloodshifter

Educated
You have Encounter a Random Tally!?​
*Tally uses Vote Lock Critical Hit!*​
A-Smashing Axe, Storyfag, Zwist, Stygian Lurker, TOME, ScubaV : 6
B-root, m4davis, GreyViper, Esquilax, Bloodshifter, Kipeci : 6
C-Baltika9 : 1
can we go with D: go with A until the Dunamis/Relius/whateverthefuck are about to strike, them, witht he cameras on us, we use Shatterpoint on the emprah and proclaim our divinity.
root are you flipping from B to A?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom