Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
C2 because our personal mythology needs more cunning

I'm thinking of just using Tomb of Horrors for the temple by the way.
:lol: :bro:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A1 - 1
B1 - 5
C2 - 3
D1 - 1
D2 - 4

B1 takes it by a just a bit. Time for some infiltration. As per request I've included some extra equipment which would not be too inconspicuous for a cover story - it'll be detailed where relevant.

Chapter 3.3: Heliopolis - The Night Before the Storm

You reach Heliopolis at dusk, travelling with a caravan of faithful pilgrims. With you are four companions that you had recruited in Memphis and probed with your mental capabilities. You were confident that they would be suitable for the task you plan to undertake.

Kamun and Samun, brothers and ex-soldiers who had deserted the Egyptian army after the Gieloth cult took hold. Handy with weapons.

Akil, son of a Heliopolis priest who was ceremoniously fed to the new god during the take-over. He knows the city and the temple's layout well, and has many contacts within the city. He was kind enough to spot you some coin to outfit yourself better, back in Memphis.

Mutyre, a singer you picked up at a public house. Well-skilled in the arts of thievery, she was orphaned at a young age and was forced to live as a street urchin. She used to run with some tomb-robbers, and is fairly good at picking out booby-traps.

What a band of minions - did you really pick them off the streets?
At least it's more distractions you can toss at the things.

You'll take what you can get. The guards wave you into Heliopolis with little problem - they do not even look at the pilgrims as they filter through the gate - it seems that security is not very tight here. Still, it was a smart move to disguise Kamun and Samun as caravan guards so that they could walk around with shields and axes on display. The cult is confident that no one would dare harm them, and on the streets of Heliopolis the cultists strut around, secure in their status. Obelisks dot the city, proclaiming the superiority of Lord Sekhenun. Many other stone pillars have been toppled and litter the ground; they probably belong to the sun god who has been dethroned. A great step pyramid towers above you, dominating the city's landscape. The sun sinks behind the step pyramid, turning the sky a dark purple.

"The Temple of the Sun." whispers Akil. That is your destination.

Upon reaching a tavern, Akil pays for a room, and leads everyone to it. You freshen up, and look at your companions. They seem to be a bit tired from the journey. A loud gong rings out, signalling the start of the fifth prayer ritual of the day. Apparently the Gieloth cultists have three prayers each day, and the courtyard in front of the pyramid would be thronged with the faithful. The prayers were officiated by Children of Sekhenun. Before you can say anything, though, Akil speaks up. You already know what he is going to say, though.

"Master Runi," he calls you - for that is what you have introduced you by, "I would like to propose a plan. For years now we have been planning to restore the God Ra to his position. The old priests that hide out in Heliopolis know of a ritual that will allow Ra to descend and defeat the evil Sekhenun, but we need the Sceptre of the Sun to do so. That sceptre is within the Temple of the Sun. I know that you have come here to slay Sekhenun, but I believe divine aid will help you do so more easily."

Samun gives a small snort. "Why did the priests not use it in the first place when that thing came to occupy Ra's temple?" Kamun sighs and says, "The ways of the gods are mysterious. We'll leave this decision up to you, boss."

"It's just mere superstition, but if we're going into the temple, it might not hurt to search for the Sceptre too." says Mutyre. You look back at Akil. "How will this ritual be conducted?"

"The ritual must be conducted at the top of the Temple of the Sun. The Temple itself is guarded, but all throughout the city my contacts are ready to fan the flames of rebellion. Once we have started the distraction, the priests will be able to reach the Temple and conduct the ritual when the sun is at its zenith. All we have been waiting for was just a chance to enter the Temple and obtain the Sceptre, as we could not find anyone brave enough to volunteer."

"I guess it was a good stroke of luck for you that I happened along, eh?" you grin. Reading him, you know that had you not appeared, his 'rebellion' would have waited forever to find someone willing to enter the temple. It could be a waste of time to hunt for the sceptre, but a rebellion as a distraction would be useful.

Tonight, you will plan and rest. You consider the choices that are laid out before you.

The Gieloth cult conducts three prayers; at dawn, noon and dusk. Each gathering will be thronged with Heliopolis cultists and pilgrims, swelling the number of people in the courtyard to a few thousand. There were two viable entrances to the temple if you wanted to get in undetected - a side entrance, lightly guarded at times of prayer, and a secret tunnel that Akil claims was commissioned by his father.

There always are secret tunnels, aren't there.

Alternatively, you could always just march right in through the front door and start the killing.

1. When to Enter
A. You enter during a time of prayer (specify the time).
B. You enter outside a time of prayer (specify the time).

2. How to Enter
A. Through the side entrance.
B. Through the secret tunnel.
C. Through the front door.

3. Akil's Rebellion
A. You tell Akil you agree with his plan, and tell him to contact the rebels. To coordinate your timing, he will be occupied with the rebellion and can't guide you through the temple.
B. You tell Akil you will not carry out his plan, and tell him to keep your own scheme a secret from the rebels. He will come along and guide you through the temple.

newcomer

Learned
treave
Can you clarify a bit on Akil's past; is the priest a tentacle-loving person or a sun-loving person? Also, is this new god the tentacles?
Also, can Akil call more contacts on prayer time?

I'm thinking of marching straight through after all the tentacles outside the temple is slain. Why should we sneak in like a rat if the main entrance is available for us? :bro:

newcomer

Learned
Vote for now: ACA (DUSK) because of the timeframe before the next horde of tentacle pilgrims flood the city. And it's also great from religious point of view if the execution timing of the tentacles coincides with sunrise

Re-thinking about this think... hmm... ABB (Dusk)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave
Can you clarify a bit on Akil's past; is the priest a tentacle-loving person or a sun-loving person? Also, is this new god the tentacles?
Also, can Akil call more contacts on prayer time?

He isn't a priest, his dad was a sun god priest and got fed to a Shoggoth Gieloth. The new god is Sekhenun, of course. He then went to Memphis to keep his head down and work as a shopkeep and do a part-time job organizing an amateur rebellion. Prayer-time won't make much difference for the number of rebels he can summon, but most of the guards are loyal cultists and favour praying over guarding, so the rest of the city won't be as guarded - there'll be more people in front of the temple.

I'm thinking of marching straight through after all the tentacles outside the temple is slain. Why should we sneak in like a rat if the main entrance is available for us? :bro:

Well, I can think of a couple of good reasons why you should sneak around, but on the other hand Ean can cut through the mortal cultists like a knife through hot butter, so...

newcomer

Learned
Ah yeah, & when I think about it, maybe it's a bad idea to plan infiltration at night, since the ceremony can't be conducted readily...
And what is this ceremony supposed to do? Insta-kill the tentacle? Bless the party with inhuman strength? Of course I'm just asking on ceremonial purpose, not whether it's true or not...

And well, if Akil cannot summon more rebels, maybe it's better sneak into the temple... no use rebelling if it only serve to alert the tentacle

One more thing treave
Can we ask the voices / our memory on the physical abilites & habits of the tentacles, specifically whether the tentacles are stronger at certain times of day (such whether it sleeps during the day, or whether it gets better sight range at night, ect)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Ceremony of the Sceptre is supposed to summon Ra from the sky so that the Sun God can deliver a can of whoop-ass. What it actually does, well, you'll find out if you choose to perform it.

As far as the rebels go, they have nearly five hundred men whose combat ability is at militia level ready to rise up. This is not counting the common rabble, who may be swayed to your side once they see the guards getting stomped.

As for the Gieloth, let's have a mini-update here.

You don't know of any weaknesses pertaining to their biological rhythm thus far. At least, any weakness is not exposed by a day-night cycle. They don't seem to need sleep at all. This also applies to the Children of the Sekhenun - you don't know exactly how many of those are around, but a Child only gets made about once every fifty years. The Children are weaker, smaller, more immature - though they may have some troublesome powers of their own, and are still considerably stronger than the average human - and have the same weak spot of that core on the back of the host's spine. Rest of the cult are all normies. From what you know, mature Gieloth usually protect their weak spot by developing a thick carapace over it.

Strength-wise you don't expect Sekhenun himself to be any stronger than his brethren. If you were to go back in time and fight Abasseth and Pahnrath (sand and darkness), you would win a physical contest handily. Trouble is those tendrils are still corrosive to you, so you can get disabled temporarily if enough of your muscle and bone is eaten away.

newcomer

Learned
Hmm... Now I'm seeing the children of Sekhenum thing as a method of reproduction, seems they need a host of some sort or maybe just for disguise as humans...
And I think the sacrificial people are foods.. wondering whether we can "poison" the food...
Most likely Sekhenum is some sort of "Queen", whose job in the tribe is to constantly pop children

Now I get the bigger picture though... Let's see... another option is to lay a siege against the tentacle, but that might take too long... I think a sneak attack will work the best here, though I'm still not sure whether we need distractions...

oscar

Arcane
A (dusk)
B
B

However I am quite intrigued by the idea of this ritual. Perhaps it will summon a third party to the struggle?

newcomer

Learned
Most likely just to summon some passage to some secret weapon... oh well, I can be swayed to go for the scepter... But maybe I need a convincing argument based on Egyptian history...

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Let's do the ritual. I want to see what happens.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Regardless of what the ritual does, letting the son-of-a-priest stage a revolt while we run amok inside the temple is probably a Good Idea.
My vote is:
B, about 11 o'clock, to let Akil coordinate so the revolt can succeed
A
A

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't see what's to be gained by frontal charges at this point - we can sneak then break loose inside, or something, there's no real advantage. Unless, I guess, you want to inspire the citizens to rise up in general, in which case we might as well go with the rebellion plan too. It feels to me like the best way to utilise both our current secrecy and Ean's own fighting prowess is to sneak attack in a publicly visible way.

Perhaps AAA? We sneak in the side door quickly at the start of noontime prayers and immediately start a ruckus, kicking off the rebellion and making it as clear as possible for the citizens that the Gieloth are being challenged. I doubt we can remain hidden all the way whatever we do, but together with the rebellion there will be trouble both inside and outside the temple, making it easier for us. The downside is we won't have Akil as guide in the temple, and it will make less of an impression on the citizenry than a frontal charge, but I'm not sure how receptive the people will be anyway.

XenomorphII

Prophet
A, Noon
A
A

I kinda want to see the ritual now, and it seems only appropriate that we pull off a ritual to Ra at around noon.

Esquilax

Arcane
A (dusk)
B
B

This, I'm with oscar. As interesting as the sun ritual sounds, we don't know what kind of consequences it will have - maybe I'm paranoid, but calling upon divine, otherworldly forces could be disastrous. The last time we came into contact with forces beyond our understanding, it put Ean in a coma for 300 years. Besides, I don't think we really needed seeing as Ean has done a fine job of kicking the shit out of these creatures with his skills alone. Yes, we had an army both of those times and we don't now, but we also have the element of surprise to really tilt the odds in our favour.

Because I'm advocating secrecy, it's only appropriate that we use the secret entrance under the cover of night, while most of the guards are praying. However, navigating the place would be much harder than simply going through the front door, so we'd need Akil's help to see us through safely.

Bloodshifter

Educated
B A little before the first prayer at Dawn if we went then the guards would be busy getting ready for prayer and people wouldn't mind a few "eager" followers
A Side because that is the least likely to draw attention ( Is the temple used to having random people filling it at all times? or are only priests allowed in? depending on this I may change this)
A Stealing the spectre early in the morning we can cart it away from the temple and Gieloth before they notice it missing giving us time to gauge his reaction and act appropriately from there remember we know about him but he know nothing about us ( do we know what Gieloth looks like or are we flying blind? )

ScubaV

Prophet
Tough choice. Going with ABB (dusk). An ancient ritual, if it works, might not work the way we want.

oscar

Arcane
We're having the most popular combination win right? Not most popular individual vote?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, combinations. Individual has a high chance of ending in lulz.

AAA (noon) - 3
ABB (dusk) - 5
BAA (dawn) - 4
BCB (noon) - 3

Just to point out something for those of you who want to see Ra come down and kick Gieloth butt - the ritual is to be performed 'when the sun is at its zenith', so you might actually want to enter the temple earlier to give yourself some time to find the Sceptre, and also to give the rebels time to take the outside of the temple.

For clarity's sake, we'll set the dawn at about 5.00 am, noon at 12.00 pm, and dusk at 7.00 pm. Entering outside prayer times means that you go about an hour before or after those times, if you've specified dawn/noon/dusk.

Kipeci

Arcane
AAA (noon)

I'd like to go in a bit prior to noon, but I want to see what happens and I'm not sure if that would count as a seperate vote or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom