Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
I think one of us is misinterpreting treave. As I understand it the physical improvement from B will still allow us to reach peak human fitness levels in a couple of months providing that we exercise and train hard enough. I will flop to A if there's little to no strength improvement to B, but I don't think that's the case.
Rather than throwing around fire or ice, the initial advantages are a bit less literal. Might as well make it more obvious; A will grant the ability to briefly gain superhuman strength and speed. B temporarily increases thinking ability and heightens perception of the world. There is a slight physical boost no matter which choice you pick as well as tentacles.
There's your "little to no" strength improvement. Not enough, I'd say.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yup codex once agains shows that Sanity and Commonm Sense is sold on the black market in far off Countries away from Codexers

We are the child of Moon-Ean and Moon-Sek!
Well, just because we woke up in a Lunar hospital, doesn't mean we were born there. Also, the flowers have been exported from earth, so if we are somehow from them, then we could be from anywhere in the solar system. Not saying I agree with this theory 100%, just that it's not completely impossible...

Bloodshifter

Educated
He's currently weaker than a 10 year old boy, and has never been able to gain any strength regardless of what he does, up to and including nanotech treatment.

The generic physical boost will put him on par with a healthy, peak 11 year old boy. Still kinda weak for a high schooler, but he'll begin to gain strength quickly (might still take months depending on how much he exercises) now that the switch has been flipped, at least until he hits the peak for his age.
Happy this is the post that explains strength no matter what its the same.

Used up my attention span on this signing off

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
That sounds like enough to me. So what's the real advantage of A? B will take us so much further. You want to be military? This will give us greater opportunities. We can command, we can order, we can analyse, we can work as a science officer. Lots of possibilities. Besides, science officer sounds like it'd be an interesting angle. We've done the general and warrior before.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The initial boost is really slight.

After that, it depends. If he gets put on a vigorous regimen everyday, he can hit top form within 4 months. If he does nothing at all it'll be closer to a year. Considering the other things he needs to do, balancing his life out with work, exercise, study and maybe love will mean that it takes 6, maybe 7 months for his body to naturally recover to what it should be.

Advantage of A is, of course, still in its superhuman abilities. Without taking A, Senya will always be subject to human limits when it comes to his strength. This can be a disadvantage when dealing directly with his enemies and generally rules out the "SMASH THEM" option for most of the confrontations.

The same applies for B, if you do not take it, there is a hard limit as to how much information his brain can take in, categorize and analyse.

Advantage of A is, of course, still in its superhuman abilities. Without taking A, Senya will always be subject to human limits when it comes to his strength. This can be a disadvantage when dealing directly with his enemies and generally rules out the "SMASH THEM" option for most of the confrontations.

The same applies for B, if you do not take it, there is a hard limit as to how much information his brain can take in, categorize and analyse.
So no taking the strength boost later...

Baltika9

Arcane
That sounds like enough to me. So what's the real advantage of A? B will take us so much further. You want to be military? This will give us greater opportunities. We can command, we can order, we can analyse, we can work as a science officer. Lots of possibilities. Besides, science officer sounds like it'd be an interesting angle. We've done the general and warrior before.
Well, for one we can use the strength boost right away (right now, on that thing that's trying to kill us). Also, it's not just strength
To be even more precise, it'd work out like this.

A. Superhuman speed, strength, endurance, preternatural fighting instinct and cunning.

B. Heightened senses, quicker and clearer thinking, increased ability to identify, analyse and dissect something (anything).
We also become a warrior. Considering the situation, considering the club we joined (by the way, if we fail the pwincess will make life difficult. So we'd better succeed), considering the supernatural and especially considering that fighting ability is always useful (must I really mention all those times as Dio when we could have really used this, hm?) B is counterproductive at best, downright harmful at worst.

Edit: and what Lambchop said.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
The same with mental capacity however. With our enhanced intelligence we should be able to design superior mecha and the like where our physical limitations become meaningless. As for the anime club, we can still succeed, we just won't personally handle the fight against the kendo club. I think we should be able to find some capable recruits, and with our ability to absorb information, train them to be superior.

Baltika9

Arcane
Also, to make it even more clear
A. I grasp the bright inferno, seeking the strength to burn all existence to ashes.

B. I seize the dark void, desiring the power to bring eternal stillness to the world.[/quote]I'd rather we go "FUCK YOU, WORLD!" than the "Everything should die...sniff."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In terms of how it feels:

A. Burning, powerful, explosive
B. Cold, calm, clinical

It's not a choice between rage and emo. :-/

The question is, do we want to play a character that will constantly run into super strong enemies that he can't match and is forced to out-think? While I'll admit that it sounds intriguing, it also sounds like it could be frustrating down the line - and I'm not just talking about when the kendo ppl kick our ass.

Additoinally: We need to consider that we may be multiverse hopping in this LP*. A versatile skill set would serve us well.

*at least, I believe this was hinted at earlier.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
A matter of opinion really. I loathe the idea of a hard limit on our intelligence, because there's really no way I can think of to circumvent it, whereas with strength limitation we can augment ourselves with the tech we design. It just seems the superior option, also the more interesting one, since we've done warrior and superstrength enough.

Suffice to say, I want to be this:
iron-man-2-powerpoint-background-7.jpg

Rather than this:
The-hulk-2003.jpg

Baltika9

Arcane
What Lambchop said and I'd like to add that there is a thing as being way to specialized: too high INT will be redundant in most situations.
In terms of how it feels:

A. Burning, powerful, explosive
B. Cold, calm, clinical

It's not a choice between rage and emo. :-/
I was being a little tongue-in-cheek.
Edit:
A matter of opinion really. I loathe the idea of a hard limit on our intelligence, because there's really no way I can think of to circumvent it, whereas with strength limitation we can augment ourselves with the tech we design. It just seems the superior option, also the more interesting one, since we've done warrior and superstrength enough.
no one said anything about a hard-cap on our stats, only on the amount of power-ups we can take. We can still make ourselves smarter by traditional means and augmentations, am I correct treave?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, studying, yeah. Hanging out with smart people and exchanging ideas.

B isn't actually upping the brain in the sense that Senya's going to start inventing teleporters and dimension hoppers out of nowhere whenever he uses the power. It's more of a way to increase the amount of information he receives from his surroundings and his ability to process that information at a very high speed. That can be very helpful in a fight and if he gets to determine the site of battle it's a devastating skill.

Augmentation is definitely necessary if you want to hang around with the big boys without taking super strength. Civilians don't get access to many mods besides the standard-of-living improving ones (health and such, invisible low-level nanotech), but once you really get into the plot it'll become available. No super brain drugs, though.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, I'd rather be this
coronation-of-napoleon-bonaparte-emperor-of-france.jpg

plus this
Julius.Caesar.2.jpg

than locked in a powersuit all our life and powerless without it. As you said, a matter of taste.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Well Napolean's "superpower" was charisma, reputation, political savvy and military insight. I'd say that only the latter could be applied to either choice. And Julius Caesar strikes me more as B, rather than A. The man didn't actually enter the battles he commanded. B is cold, calm, rational, whereas A is passionate, emotional and strength.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well Napolean's "superpower" was charisma, reputation, political savvy and military insight. I'd say that only the latter could be applied to either choice.
Not quite, he was also braver than any man in his armies (many witnesses of him actually fighting alongside his men and loading the guns) and was a capable cavalryman.
And how could I forget? A guy with superstrength travelling space and dimensions in a power suit?
video-games-space-marines-black-templar-HD-Wallpapers.jpg

:yeah:
But seriously, the strength upgrade will net us short term and long term benefits, while compensating for our weaknesses and making us prepared for many different eventualities as well as giving us a fighter's and general's instincts. Hence, we will be covered on all fronts, instead of frantically thinking "Ohshitohshitohshit" like we did with Dio in Skane and Rus. I don't want a repeat of that.

All your points are very good, Baltika. I'm still on the fence, but I would like to play a character with true brains as well. Maybe the extra brains give us hints that will help us make the right choices and avoid the really bad ones... edit: treave, I'm looking at you when I say that. Seriously, bro - we needs us some training wheels when it comes to the blind choices that can majorly fuck us over...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, I'll provide choices that definitely mean what they say and say what they mean from now on, with no vagueness involved. :-/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom