Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Esquilax

Arcane

Alternatively, Anbar-Shi.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Dio would come to Crete. He's been there before and has Sek as his repository of knowledge, and not to mention a devouring monster at this point.

I can't find the update about the gieloth tree, but I think it was decades before it gets dangerous to Earth. And I remember that the gieloths in China were building defenses before transforming to the tree form so there are probably defenses in Crete too. One thing I can't figure out is that why haven't Naram cleared them out yet.

The reason I don't want to go to the gieloths just yet is a negotiation strategy. When we go to them, I want Ean be able to dictate terms to them or they'll face destruction. If we go there now, they are the ones holding all the cards and completing the tree form is their best bet of survival.

The best thing we can now do is to keep sending scouts and trying to obtain more personal power. We can't go on facing the biggest and the baddest bosses this planet has on a hunch that they might be weak right now.

What terms? If that's the case, then why not leave now, you can gain personal power that way. Not going there also leaves the door open to Dio to perhaps eat the whole fucking thing. The Gieloth are leaving precisely because they think that Earth is going to either be devoured by the sphere in Olympus or purged by the Masters in the near future. They want to fuck off before that happens. My theory isn't just a hunch. The sphere at this point is the size of a small hill - the thing we faced in the void was fucking massive. I really think that it's as weak as its going to get - the real danger is the people (i.e. Athena, Artemis, Naram) that are likely protecting it.

The reason that Naram hasn't cleared out the Gieloth is because he was probably busy doing something in Olympus and thus isolated from the outside world. I believe that Zeus' experience in the void (and yes, I'm fairly convinced he was in the void after he tore a hole in reality, because we went through the portal he fucked up and created) changed him to the point where I think his nature changed to become subservient. I believe that the whole point of having all those sacrifices - I think he needed to do that to bring one of those things into our world.

At this point, the threat itself is not the sphere - I think the tricky part will be actually getting to it and facing it. Naram and the immortals are very likely serving this thing right now. Another HUGE problem is the fact that we already know that our psychic blankness doesn't extend to the Masters. Zeus was able to figure out that we were an aberration right after looking at us, so sneaking around will be difficult, even if we're a blank. I'm hoping that our memories will unlock something.

Alternatively, a trip to Crete might grant us allies if we are able to take down the Tree. If we manage to defeat Dio and get Sekhenun out of it, then we might have enough knowledge on our hands to deal with the Masters as well. It's a very tough choice between A and B.

Well, if Ean dies here, he will die as he lived: head high, flipping off the entire world.

To be fair, though, we may sway Artemis and Athena to our cause.

I'd rather live over the corpse of Naram and Dio, that sounds much cooler. Anywho, I still might flip to A if I hear some arguments in favour. I am really betting a lot on Ean being able to dredge up something from his memories. We know that Ean's powers and skills are tied to knowledge (i.e. knowledge of light manipulation being contingent on light physics) and perhaps Ean learned a lot during his time in the void that will give him an edge.

Baltika9

Arcane
If Dio really is going to Crete to eat the Tree, we may wish to interept him: we get Sek, we may even negotiate an alliance and get some serious firepower or, failing that, just devour them all. And then we'd be in a much better position to oppose Zeus and the Spaceballs.

Of course, this is gambling completely on Dio being there, so we may show up and be left high and dry up shit creek without a paddle.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
What terms? If that's the case, then why not leave now, you can gain personal power that way. Not going there also leaves the door open to Dio to perhaps eat the whole fucking thing. The Gieloth are leaving precisely because they think that Earth is going to either be devoured by the sphere in Olympus or purged by the Masters in the near future.

I was planning on to enlist the gieloths to our aid, just like we did with Sekhenun. Either they work for us or we kill them. Right now we don't have the power for it. There are hundreds of gieloths and I don't think that they are in vegetative state or defenseless. Naram controls twenty or so immortals, (all of them are more powerful than Ean or Dio at the moment) so I think it is safe to say that if one immortal (or Ean) could defeat the tree, he would have got rid of it already.

The gieloths can't leave yet. They aren't finished and won't be for a decade or so. That is why I want Ean to gain power first, and then go to the gieloths with a big axe and say "Help me set the world right and defeat the spheres. Refuse and I'll chop you to pieces and use you as firewood for my new and shiny steam tanks."

I'll still think C is the best choice but since B seems to be winning, I'll flop to A. With A we at least stand a chance to not die permanently.

GreyViper

Prophet
A for my choice. I do hope we get to meet Dio soon because as much fun as Britannia has been it has somewhat slowed the pace of the story.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A – 6
B – 5

Chapter 8.5: The Sacred Tree

You felt the tree before you even saw it; you saw the tree before you even set foot on the island, and the rumours, for once, did not disappoint. The tree towered over any building you could care to mention; you could see it dominating the island's landscape even from a distance. The multitude of leaves adorning its branches were a brilliant gold, and in the dim light of the sunset they gave off a slight gleam.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" said Malton, tying the boat to the abandoned pier. The ship you had came on was anchored further out from shore, the sailors refusing to sail too close to the cursed island. "Beautiful but deadly. Like a woman." snorted Shub. "Let's get this over with." You had returned to Crete with Malton, Algur and Shub, the three of the best fighters in the band.

Less babysitting, you figured at the time. You regretted bringing them along, however; on your way here you had gotten news that war had finally broken out. Skane had launched an invasion of the Empire, attacking through the unguarded borders of the Olympus wastelands. It was a mad idea to march an army through that place, but it was the quickest route to the heart of the Empire. Evidently King Dagrun was mad enough to try. It was already too late for you to turn back when you received the news, and none of your comrades were keen to abandon the quest at hand either.

It did not take long before you saw for yourself the full devastation the tree had wrought upon the island. Enormous roots entangled the ruins of Cretan civilization. The ground was barren. There were no living things present upon the island except the tree itself. Your companions are quiet, unnerved by the absolute silence of the island, as you head further inland. There is no wind, no chittering of insects, no singing of the birds; nothing you would associate with the sounds of life.

The trek itself proved relatively uneventful, though you soon learnt to stay clear of low hanging fruits on branches that raised themselves from the roots. These looked like Gieloth cores which sprouted tendrils that lashed at anything that strayed close. You came across one fruit that was still making a meal of the last man to cross its path, the melting victim having been enclosed in a translucent black cocoon.

Finally, you reached the center of the island, where the massive trunk of the tree was located. If it was made from coalescing multiple Gieloth together, as you had been told before, it did not feel so to you. The tree was one single entity in both mind and matter. It had a distinctive Gieloth presence, but entwined with it was something that felt unmistakeably human. This strange tree was a hybrid.

“If I might ask, what are you doing here?”

You look around to see a man step out from an alcove in the trunk. You were sure it had not been there before. Your companions are immediately on guard, moving closer to you with weapons drawn. The newcomer was tall and graceful, garbed in robes that you were not familiar with, but you could feel he meant you no harm... yet. You wave Malton and his comrades down.

“One could say that I have history of some sorts with the source of the tree. I'm here to decide whether it should continue to be allowed to take root on this island.” You did not mince your words. There wasn't much point to it – anyone making it this far in would be no common stray.

The man bowed. “Then I gather you must be the legendary Ean, founder of the Shinar Empire. The Lord Chancellor of your Empire said that you might show up here. My name is Zhang, an officer of the Concordiat.”

Racking your mind, you try to find details about the Concordiat. It was a great nation far to the east. The last you knew of that region, the invading Gieloth had formed a tree. Evidently they had not stripped your world and moved on, but you know little else. This man in front of you, Zhang, appeared to be human, but as you focused it became clear to you that his nature was similar to the tree itself – he too was some form of hybrid between human and Gieloth.

Sensing your unease, Zhang laughed politely. “You must have many questions. Since I have been asked to tell you as much as I can, I will do so. What we have here is a mere branch of the Sacred Tree back in the Concordiat. This branch is fully part of it, despite the distance. It took us some time to encourage growth in this direction.”

“Must be one hella big tree, if this is a branch,” whistled Algur.

Zhang nodded in response. “It is. The Sacred Tree is the form our ancestors took thousands of years ago. Tradition requires us to partake of its fruit when we come of marriagable age, and when the time comes to leave life behind, we are buried within it. The legends say that when the world ends, the Sacred Tree will ensure we live on.”

You look up at the tree, its leaves glowing almost ominously. “Why is this branch here, then?”

“It is part of an agreement we have with the Shinar Empire, who have graciously allowed us the use of this island. In return, we have coaxed the branch to be able to sustain a human's form almost indefinitely. That has not come without a price – this branch is sluggish and lethargic compared to the lively Tree back in my homeland. Legends say that the world is ending, but there are those of us who know that it is. The signs are clear... dark things stir in Olympus.”

If you guessed correctly, this means the Empire had given permission for this to happen in their territory – that they were preparing for the end of the world. If that was the case, there was only one reason to have the tree here, where they did not have to travel all the way to the other end of the world.

“How many?”

Zhang gave a slight smile. “Astute, aren't you? One hundred thousand people. They will be safely sent away before everything is over.”

“And how long will it take?”

“At the current rate, we will be ready in six months. The Sacred Tree itself has already spread throughout the planet, though this is the only branch that has sprouted from it. My people do not see the need to retain our individuality within the Tree, but we respect all life. We do not see anything wrong in allowing other means of salvation through the tree, though regretfully one hundred thousand is the most we can handle.”

He did not clarify what would happen in six months, but from the barren land, you knew. You walk closer to the tree and look at Zhang. “May I touch it?”

“Go ahead.”

You placed your palm on the tree. It was warm, and you could sense its power, gathered from the life of your world, but it was not something you could communicate with, any more than you could talk to a plant.

“The ancestors, do they speak to you from the tree?”

Zhang shook his head. “No. Our ancestors have become the Sacred Tree. They do not guide our actions directly.”

“What if I told you I could stop the world from ending?” It was a bluff, but you had to try. There is little else you can say at this point. Zhang's smile turned cold. “The plan proceeds. The Sacred Tree retains what has been offered to it, with no exceptions. Forgive me, Master Ean, but you do not exactly inspire me with any confidence that you can succeed.”

“Well, I have done so before...” you begin, knowing that those words rang hollow even to you. Evidence of your past successes was not evidence that you would succeed now. Zhang remained there, his cold smile plastered on his face, secure in his logic. It looks like there would be no talking them down, and this thing was not something you could tear apart by yourself. On your way here you had broken several branches, and they had healed almost immediately, at the same time growing a dozen more fruits at the point of injury to defend itself. Attacking it might only make things worse.

You had one other option, however. Touching the tree, with its human pulse, you felt it stir your hunger.

You could try to devour it.

A. You attempt to devour the Sacred Tree. Not only will it save your world, if you succeed, you would probably become strong beyond your wildest dreams. You are not sure if you can succeed, but you are running out of time and options.

B. You leave the tree alone. Perhaps they can be convinced more easily to stop the process if you have already stopped the threat to the world. If you fail, it would also ensure that humanity survived, though with every passing day the planet grows weaker, its resources feeding the tree's growth.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't see any alternative.

A

B

This makes me wish we picked B, though something tells me it might not have been much better.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Dun dun dunnnn.... :yeah:

neverwinter-nights-2-mask-of-the-betrayer-20070620053222217.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Going to Olympus immediately meant there was no chance of you ever going to Crete, hence missing out on this scene entirely. It wasn't a choice leading to a dead end, however.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A - Look, I know this is probably a really bad idea, but years of playing video games have forced me to click the awesome button.

Esquilax

Arcane
A - Look, I know this is probably a really bad idea, but years of playing video games have forced me to click the awesome button.

Well, it certainly won't be easy as just drinking a Gieloth smoothie. I don't know how to deal with the defenses that this thing has, or even if we can deal with this thing. I'm hoping we can but I'm not sure.

To complicate matters, even if we succeed, that pretty much destroys humanity's insurance policy. Even if we become incredibly powerful, we still might fuck up, and then there won't be 100,000 people to repopulate humanity on some distant planet.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I wonder if the humans who board the gieloth "arc" know that upon arriving at their new home planet, they'd immediately be enslaved as a food source? Probably not...

Well, we shouldn't have jumped into the rift, we should have gone to China, Dio giving them the island turned out to be a good thing (otherwise the tree would be inaccessible), we should never have sacrificed ourselves to save that prick in the labyrinth, we should have given ourselves up to Nabu and fought Marduk then, and above all we should have kept Sek's head in a jar!

GreyViper

Prophet
So I understand that option A gives the boost we need when we go to Olympus, but whats the catch? Sure we might fight the guardian, but Im curious can Ean devour the tree without some psychic backlash?

A for now unless somebody can explain why its a bad idea.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm confused. What exactly makes the tree a threat? It says, Eden: It's an Endless World! style, it can swallow up to 100k people to survive the apocalypse - but it's not actively reaching beyond Crete to devour people, it seems to wait passively?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
It's a bad idea because devouring 100,000 people and possible some gieloth (if devouring this branch means devouring whole tree) will corrupt Ean, after devouring Ean might have Dio's morality. But do we have a choice if Sun-sized spheres are coming through the rift in the near future?

Tigranes, the Tree destroys Earth in order to reach stars.

Kipeci

Arcane
This is unfortunate. I should've flopped to B.

On that note, what would option B have given us?

I'll go for A, but... well, it's not really ideal, even (perhaps especially) if it does work.

Kukulkan

Learned
Eating the tree will give us the strength necessary to defeat the sphere and kill the other tree in the east. Let's eat the sword too.

Esquilax

Arcane
you lot are bloody insane. we wasted time coming here but just going 'since we're here, we might as well...' wont really make things better, will it?

What's your alternative? I voted to go after the giant sphere right away, and now Dagrun is marching into the wasteland. We have a six month time frame before the Tree siphons Earth's resources, so what do you suggest?

Kayerts

Arcane
So we've got six months until the Gielocalypse, maybe a bit more until whatever's happening at Olympus ends the world. (Side note: Olympus is now in Skanian hands, I guess? Weird. I wonder what Fenrir's doing there.) Powerleveling Ean seems like it might be necessary, and it's debatable whether we'll get another chance.

However, there is a big question of whether we CAN successfully eat the fruit of the poison tree. I'm reminded of that flow chart treave gave in the middle of the chapter 5, in which our ability to devour sufficiently powerful beings was dictated by how many "feed points" we'd accrued. In this chapter, we've consistently chosen the least feed-ish options. There is also a question of whether the consequences of a successful devouring here will be known to history as the Birth of Slaanesh.

Ineffectual protest vote for B. Personally, I'm holding out for Shulgi to invent steam-powered spaceships and then nuke Olympus from orbit with his steam-powered lasers.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm sure the knowledge of the tree will help us somewhere down the line, yes, so as root says I don't think we should devour just because.

Again, what are our aims this chapter? Treave says Easy Mode is over and shit is going down - is it to save Earth at all costs, including Ean's morality? Is it to save as many as possible (including Ean)? Is it to become powerful enough at whatever cost to defeat the Big Bad?

Perhaps the choice is indeed become a monster to defeat another monster, but I don't think we know enough for it to be the decision to make right now. B.

Esquilax

Arcane
Tigranes, to be honest, I have no clue what our goals are. I was hoping to go to Olympus so that we could have a better idea of the situation and maybe take the sphere out of commission while it's still small, but now I don't know what to do.

I have flopped to B, though. I'm not sure if we can even take this thing on, or whether its even worth it to do so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom