Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Tigranes

Arcane
C will probably frighten the men more than anything. I'd say A just because it seems like to an alien of such a type, B has a chance of not working, but maybe that's worrying too much.

Thanks for listening, everyone. :(

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Heh, I must admit I was a bit skeptical about B, but reasoned that the decision came down to the means of achieving victory, and would not have an effect on its aftermath. Assumptions, assumptions.

As for the current vote, I'm tempted towards A as it may lead us to some clues about our powers and how to extend/enhance them so we get a leg up against Shulgi and the sheepfucker. But then, it'd be great to honour our country and restore it to glory.

Voting B now, I can be swayed to A. C is a bit of a wild-card, not something I'd want to do now, but in the future, definitely. We should go to Scandinavia after Rome falls and get in on that viking action. Let's be danes and take over England.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
C will probably frighten the men more than anything. I'd say A just because it seems like to an alien of such a type, B has a chance of not working, but maybe that's worrying too much.

Hey, it worked better than anticipated. We've got a head full of alien knowledge, knowledge that we wouldn't have if we hadn't tried the mind-rape thing. Besides, it's too nifty a power to pass up. I'm certain more opportunities will present themselves. :smug:

eklektyk

Erudite

Hey, it worked better than anticipated. We've got a head full of alien knowledge, knowledge that we wouldn't have if we hadn't tried the mind-rape thing. Besides, it's too nifty a power to pass up. I'm certain more opportunities will present themselves. :smug:
just as planned :obviously:

A is so tempting but yeah lets go kill some shepards ...
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Esquilax

Arcane
Ean loves his people and at heart, he is still a Sumerian. Going back home to see how things have changed and how much time has passed seems to be the only appropriate solution. Fuck, how long has it been?

B

Baltika9

Arcane
Ean loves his people and at heart, he is still a Sumerian. Going back home to see how things have changed and how much time has passed seems to be the only appropriate solution. Fuck, how long has it been?

B
I'm guessing about 13-16 centuries

Esquilax

Arcane
What's this guesstimate based on?

Absolutely nothing. treave did state a while back (before our regenerative abilities had advanced) that being burnt to ash and scattered into the sea/moulded into concrete would put us out of commission for about two millenia. However, this was a coma, so we can assume that the recovery was much shorter than it would be if our body was eaten by Shulgi cultists, shat out, and left to create a garden for the new god.

Baltika9

Arcane

Absolutely nothing. treave did state a while back (before our regenerative abilities had advanced) that being burnt to ash and scattered into the sea/moulded into concrete would put us out of commission for about two millenia. However, this was a coma, so we can assume that the recovery was much shorter than it would be if our body was eaten by Shulgi cultists, shat out, and left to create a garden for the new god.
On our ability to go to Anatolia. Since we have it, I'm guessing that means the Hittite empire is around. It was getting in it's prime in the 17-16th centuries BC. But this is an absolute guess.

ScubaV

Prophet
I'll go with the option no one else is picking: A. I would like to find out what became of Akkadia, but based on our experiences and treave's words most of our power gains have come from encounters with the tentacle beasts. Egypt seems to be a major hotspot for the beasts so I vote we seek more of them out in an effort to expand our powers.

Also, I think part of the overwhelming support for B in the previous update was from this:
treave said:
(Don't be concerned with the injuries. This is mainly a power-selection update. The thing is defeated no matter which option you select; its own choices drove it into a corner, so to speak. This wouldn't have happened the same way had you chosen differently before, of course.)

on page 5. People probably thought this was the same thing.

newcomer

Learned
treave
Now that I think of it, maybe there's an equally important choice: how you get there, regardless of what choice we will eventually choose
For choices I'm thinking of either A. RUN! (Improve physical ability slightly) or B. Enslave a camel, or better bring a horde of beast to conquer whatever country we will meet (Improve mental ability slightly)

What do you think of it?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave
Now that I think of it, maybe there's an equally important choice: how you get there, regardless of what choice we will eventually choose
For choices I'm thinking of either A. RUN! (Improve physical ability slightly) or B. Enslave a camel, or better bring a horde of beast to conquer whatever country we will meet (Improve mental ability slightly)

What do you think of it?

To qualify for the Beastmaster class you must shun civilization and wander around in a loincloth.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

On our ability to go to Anatolia. Since we have it, I'm guessing that means the Hittite empire is around. It was getting in it's prime in the 17-16th centuries BC. But this is an absolute guess.

treave mentioned the Anatolian plains, and I read this as a geographical marker for our convenience, not necessarily one based on an actual kingdom/culture being based there already. You might be right, I'm just saying it's just a guess. :salute:

newcomer

Learned
treave

What do you think of it?

To qualify for the Beastmaster class you must shun civilization and wander around in a loincloth.

Then we need to eat locust & wild honey, sew a loincloth from camel skin, and a few centuries later come out from the wilderness & scream "Prepare the way for the Lord is coming!"
And to our dismay it was not Jesus who come for our baptism, but rather Shulgi, who will claim himself as the Son of God :decline:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A 1
B 10
C 4

Back to Sumeria we go!

Chapter 2.8: Sumeria Again

"I am Shulgi. I shall raise my head at the end of the tyrant's reign. I will return to Akkad. I will renew Girsu and Lagash. I will construct my sanctuary for the gods. I will restore the blessings of the Earth."
~ an unknown priest preaching the Shulgi prophecy.

"The King sleeps, in the West. The Curse befell him, and the Curse befell Akkad. Let our future sons take heed. The King will overcome Ereshkigal and wake. The King will return, and Ereshkigal's Curse will be no more."
~ fragment of a tale kept by the Sons of Marduk.

The Akkadian Empire, which you ruled for a mere ten years, was no more. As you journeyed towards Sumeria, you collected the various different myths and legends that have sprung up around its collapse.

"Ereshkigal's dark creature could not withstand Marduk's strength, blessed by Enlil. In a strong gust of wind, it vanished. In being banished to the Underworld, Ereshkigal's champion dragged the God's soul with it. Marduk was Cursed, and he slept. His loyal spears built him a resting house and stayed guard for fifty cycles." proclaimed a storyteller you met in Emar.

"Shulgi returned after a hundred cycles in the waters of Enki, as his priests had predicted. He sat at the head of the gods. None could defy him. All bowed before him. He wed Ninhursag to restore the Earth. The land, afflicted by a Curse since the slumber of Ean, revived." preached a priest of Shulgi in Mari.

"The demon Shulgi drained the vitality from the land with a devastating flood. Crops withered and flocks died. Akkad grew weak under the Curse. His reign was long and terrible, lasting more than a hundred cycles. The kings of the great cities of Sumeria rose against him but to no avail. They were destroyed by his black sorcery and his vile champion, Humbaba." whispered an old man in Ashur.

"A wandering shepherd, claiming to bear the light of Enlil, entered Akkad in the hundred and sixth year of Shulgi's reign. Anu was with him. Inanna was with him. The city of Akkad was burnt to the ground by pillars of light from the heavens, as punishment for Shulgi's wickedness." read a tablet you discovered near the ruined walls of Akkad.

Akkad itself was no more, and had been gone for more than a hundred years; you had slept for nearly three hundred. The once fertile farms around Akkad, which you had tried so desperately to restore, was gone. Your name is barely even remembered, as your feats were now ascribed to a new god, Marduk. A small cult named the Sons of Marduk had sprung up around your personal myth, preaching of your return, though they wield little influence. A short reign of ten years had been overshadowed by Shulgi's rule of a hundred. Of your legacy, you notice that your introduction of the horse and a proper wheel has aided in increasing trade, as the people have invented better, faster and more comfortable wagons. The armies of the city-states of Sumeria still practice the drills you introduced, though their weaponry has stagnated. Significant advances have been made in other aspects of life, though. Oil lamps had been put on every street, at every corner. Outside of the ruins of Akkad, farms in other cities were thriving with new practices claimed to have been passed down by Shulgi, who was called a demon or a god depending on who you asked. There was even a rudimentary mechanism by which water was piped directly into the homes of the richer citizens of the city.

Sumeria was fragmented at the moment. The collapse of Akkad had left a power vacuum, and the city-states currently struggle for supremacy over each other and reunite the former territories of the Empire. The rising powers are Assyria to the north, and Babylonia to the south. You wonder where your fellow immortals are...

The year is 2000 B.C.

A. You make contact with the Sons of Marduk, who are based in Sippar, the nearest city to what is left of Akkad. With their aid you proclaim your divine return and take power to battle Assyria and Babylonia, and restore the Akkadian Empire.

B. You offer your services to one of the two powers of Sumeria. You plan to climb your way up the ranks of the court, and work something out from there. There have been rumours of weird occurrences within the ruling ranks of both Assyria and Babylonia, and you wonder if the black creatures are involved...

B1 for Assyria.
B2 for Babylonia.

C. You leave Sumeria, your curiosity satisfied. An immortal life stretches out ahead of you, and you would like to take the opportunity to explore the world and embark on greater adventures.

C1 to head West, towards Egypt and the desert.
C2 to head East, into the exotic kingdoms of Central Asia.
C3 to head North, travelling along the Mediterranean towards the Grecian coast.

D. You remain in Sumeria, but incognito. You settle down and live a quiet life without arousing suspicion, moving from place to place. As you do, you try to introduce new technology and progress into the lives of the Sumerians, helping them as best as you can.

Tigranes

Arcane
C3, or possibly D. I don't think a hasty bid for power in the open will do us any good, and the area just doesn't seem that interesting at the moment.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
D. A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.

oscar

Arcane
Can someone with a bit more knowledge of this time period tell me whether Assyria or Babylonia is more interesting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom