Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

XenomorphII

Prophet
1.B - It may be a dick move, but it should give us a chance to react to whatever is coming at us.
2.B - Getting pinned against the walls sounds bad and going on the offense, while risky, could ease the spirits of our troops some (ie they don't have to stand there and wait for it) and might not be what our enemy expects.
3.B - We need to be ready in case of any surprises.

VOTE BBB

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
C-The frontline must hold and we'll lose less men then in A.
B-Avoiding being pushed towards the wall is paramount.
B-Charging is going to get us injured and out of commission.
EDIT: Changed my mind on the first.

ScubaV

Prophet
C - Putting the clients in front will likely just get them slaughtered and routed and I'm not sure I trust them enough as reserves.
A - They likely outnumber us. Also, them "lurching" implies that they move slowly. Both are good reasons to soften them up with our ample ranged units. Additionally, I don't think a charge will break the morale of supernatural beings.
A - I'm assuming this means we don't actually charge until the rest of our forces engage in melee (if not I swap to B). This is how we initially won over Sargon's men, by putting ourselves on the line for them. It will also improve morale against supernatural foes.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave: I'm assuming that our client-state cannon fodder allies have not been blessed by the glorious military reforms that our soldiers have, so their equipment is outdated while our guys have the good stuff. Is that right?

1.B - It may be a dick move, but it should give us a chance to react to whatever is coming at us.
2.B - Getting pinned against the walls sounds bad and going on the offense, while risky, could ease the spirits of our troops some (ie they don't have to stand there and wait for it) and might not be what our enemy expects.
3.B - We need to be ready in case of any surprises.

The biggest problem with using up our city-state militiamen is that they can't be relied upon to hold a front line. You put a whole bunch of guys who are psychologically questionable and who have inferior gear to boot, and they'll be far more likely to rout or break. Their morale is low, and I don't want to risk them panicking and endangering the rest of our men that way. Based on the way the choice is written, I am assuming that if you pick 1B), then it would be the militiamen's chariots going on the offensive in 2B). Their chariot crews are green and they don't have a fraction of either the experience or the superior arms of our Akkadian bros.

Another thing, if we come out of this battle and it turns out that only the Akkadian soldiers survived, our city-states will be extremely pissed off. I'd much rather be able to take Egypt without having to deal with an internal shitstorm back home. Besides, given the choices we've made in the past, it would be very inconsistent to have Ean become so callous with the lives of the men under his command.

For now I'll go with:

C
B
A - Boost morale when the enemy comes within range

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave: I'm assuming that our client-state cannon fodder allies have not been blessed by the glorious military reforms that our soldiers have, so their equipment is outdated while our guys have the good stuff. Is that right?

Yup. Donkey chariots. If you choose to go on the offensive the charge will be combined with your own chariots (all chariots go), but the client-states spearmen and militia will still be at the front of your formation while the rest of your men back them up from the rear.

oscar

Arcane
C - I don't want to piss off the client states by using them as cannon fodder nor do I wish our men to take disproportionate casualties
A - Shock tactics are likely much less effective against a foe that doesn't have to worry about morale
B - We need to be a mobile reserve and keep our men co-ordinated

Looks like we should have gone for the supernatural powers speech as well, as I imagined.

Baltika9

Arcane
C- Our own morale is the biggest issue here, our veterans faced demons before, they know how to hold their shit together and inside. Let them inspire the client-states.
B- Not really about shock, more about practicality: if we're broken, our men have more room to regroup. Also, equally important, we're have a lesser chance to be backed against a wall.
B- While this is about battlefield awareness, I'd recommend just the tiniest bit of heroics. Our men trust us, the client state militias never fought for us. Back the, generals sitting on their asses was bad form.

Baltika9

Arcane
Treavebro, on an unrelated note, can Ian teach mortals his mind reading powers, at all?

I think it'time for some Inquisition.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Treavebro, on an unrelated note, can Ian teach mortals his mind reading powers, at all?

No, but it is possible to research something similar which others can apply, when you actually understand how your powers work instead of using them instinctively. But you'd need to invent the materials, technology, and of course, the scientific method first.

Baltika9

Arcane

No, but it is possible to research something similar which others can apply, when you actually understand how your powers work instead of using them instinctively. But you'd need to invent the materials, technology, and of course, the scientific method first.

So... we can manufacture psykers? :incline:

newcomer

Learned

Sounds complicated... but good to know... Mind reading might be too powerful though, why not just keep it for yourself?

Baltika9

Arcane

Sounds complicated... but good to know... Mind reading might be too powerful though, why not just keep it for yourself?
Inquisition. 'Nuff said.

Tigranes

Arcane
Uh, doesn't CAA imply the army plays it cautious while we charge alone? How will it work?

CAB for now.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
1.A Hopefully the clients will get morale boost when they see us holding the line easily. with C we risk clients running and our men being scattered.
2.A Let's minimize casualties by killing them afar.
3.A We have always lead by example.

AAA.

Baltika9

Arcane
Giving it some more thought, I think it makes more sense in our situation to lead from the front. Ean is: a) a combat master, so the chances of him being injured are slim, and b) having the general lead from the front will greatly boost the morale of the untrained and unbloodied. Our veterans know to trust us, the others don't. Yes, we'll loose tactical adaptability, but it will be worth it?

Esquilax

Arcane
A - They likely outnumber us. Also, them "lurching" implies that they move slowly. Both are good reasons to soften them up with our ample ranged units. Additionally, I don't think a charge will break the morale of supernatural beings.

We don't necessarily need to break their morale, we just need to crush them under our treads. If these are zombies, then they're probably really tough and arrows won't do much.

If we're taking C, it just makes more sense. We know that the militiamen are shaky in terms of morale, so if their King stands with them on the front lines. While I don't like being so close to the wall, I think that being on the front lines with our bros will allow us to push forward beyond the wall. The enemy seems to be a slow, lurching undead horde of some sort, so the last thing we want is to be surrounded. We push forward with our mighty chariots, lead from the front, and I think we can do a lot of damage.

Bloodshifter

Educated
1.C
2.A
3.B
I dont trust those client states if we placed them in middle the can fold and cause panic in the flanks mixing units would at least keep them solid against a supernatural enemy (zombies dont use tactics)

wasting our chariots on an enemy that cannot be broken by mere shock and awe would deprieve us of the good men these zombies can't be the entire army else we would have a easy battle and last time I checked arrows to the brain kills the shambling undead (<-- yes meta info but still they are supernatural I saw what the tentacle thing did last time would you want to run into thousands of those things? )

this cant be the only trick this monster has up his sleeve charging in would be foolish course( but our character is a rash man. hopefully not that rash)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom