Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but that's just not true. We started off the chapter by picking a goal and sticking with it - we chose to deal with the rift, so I don't see how we were half-assing it by doing too many things at once.

Maybe sticking with it was the mistake. We had two time sensitive tasks, and we decided to stick with one, even when we had to sit and wait for years. When we finally were given an option to shift our focus to China, we didn't take it. We had wasted years on the rift and had not made progress other than finding the rift. That should have been our cue to turn towards China.

Play the character the way he's written as. He's an ambitious, cunning and ruthless noble who wants to gain power and influence to reverse the decline of his House. Fortunately, the better the Empire does, the better it is for our House. We can use that as our guide. Ean might return, but right now we're Diogenes, so what Ean is going to do isn't relevant at the moment. Put that out of your mind.

I think we should use the meta we have and steer Dio that in mind. Ean is coming back. What is Ean going to do with a ruthless noble who poison other nobles to speed up his own rise to power? I don't see the protector of the humanity keeping around such a person as Dio.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
What is Ean going to do with a ruthless noble who poison other nobles to speed up his own rise to power? I don't see the protector of the humanity keeping around such a person as Dio.

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about it. I think it's high time we send our "for the betterment of Mankind" agenda into overdrive. Becoming ruthless will be essential at one point. Rewarding Dio, as long as the service he'll provide will have actual value, will be a good start.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 7.3: Death, Banquets and the Idea of Love

It was the first time you had actually killed a man personally, though you felt nothing as your father’s lifesblood washed over your hands, his eyes open in uncomprehending terror. He remains staring as the light fades from his eyes, a fool to the end. You were thankful that he had adopted you into House Camna, but his usefulness had ended once Arte died and you were heir. The Camna name was near worthless to you as long as he still lived, and now that he is dead, you will be able to leverage his old connections personally, as the new head of a House of one. If things didn’t work out… well, you could always make the most of your recently acquired inheritance to get yourself adopted again by an even more prestigious House, surrendering the name of Camna.

Still, it was such a simple trick that you could hit yourself for not thinking it up sooner. Drunk, sorrowful, ailing and alone, he receives a prank letter from a mysterious source taunting him about his eldest son’s death and he takes his own life in grief. The mysterious masked man had sent it, as part of his service. Whatever was inside you did not know – Velius had thrown it into the fireplace – but it had ended up with the old man crying, while clinging to you, right up until you drove his own dagger into his heart.

You look down at the rapidly cooling corpse with some distaste. You have always heard that people would panic and go crazy trying to wash the blood off their hands, but it appears those are just stories after all. It looks like it was time to call the servants in, as witnesses to their master’s unfortunate death. You prepare yourself to grieve – it is a good thing that everyone knows you were such a loyal son to the very end.

After you had fulfilled the masked man’s sole condition, everything went perfectly. The Emperor himself had asked for you as a host, apparently desiring to meet with the new head of a distantly related household. King Orgiano of Etruria had little choice but to agree. He was not too happy, but his staff gave a sigh of relief – in secret, of course – that they would not have to host the large entourage that Emperors always lugged around with them.

That heavy task fell to you. It would have been impossible to organize it without your betrothed’s help. Thania Unata was the sole daughter of House Unata, and looking at her parents you can't help but be intrigued at how they had managed to spawn a marvel such as her. She had brains, and to add to it, good looks. Even back when you were children, she was the one who had led you in schemes outsmarting Arte. She had a keen mind and a sharp eye for details, and Arte, the buffoon, had never appreciated it sufficiently. Sure, he loved her – as if that meant anything to you as you stole her heart and body from right under his nose – but he wouldn’t have known how to use her. Even with all her good traits, though, Thania was still an Unata. You did not really mind marrying her, but sometimes you wondered if you would not be more prudent to hold out for a chance to marry upwards.

“Dio?”

You are startled from your thoughts, and turn to look at Thania. She looked even more stunning than usual today, her brown hair cropped short after the Gallian fashion that was currently all the rage amongst the noblewomen of the Empire. The more discerning ladies would have been able to tell that it was a cheap cut, but she wore it well enough to outshine lesser women groomed by the best stylists. A rich-looking dark green dress, lined with blue satin trimmings, accentuated her assets. She notices you looking at the dress, and beams.

“Why, don’t tell me you are stunned by the dress? I must say… it fits me well.”

“Why would I be? I bought it. It’s just that… no, it doesn’t fit you well. It fits you perfectly.”

“Is that a compliment for me, or a compliment for your own taste, Diogenes Camna?”

“It is a compliment for my taste in women, Thania Unata.”

The both of you laugh, looking at the guests that were milling about in the reception hall of your manor. As she stops laughing, Thania sighs, a wistful look suddenly on her face.

“I wish Sir Velius would’ve been here to see this. He would’ve been so proud of you.”

You nod your head in agreement. “Father would’ve been overjoyed to see so many guests. House Camna hasn’t received so many people in years.”

She stretches her arms with a sigh of agreement, her dress slipping slightly to reveal part of her shoulder. You resist the urge to wince – her rural upbringing sometimes expressed itself distastefully. “I’m sure this won’t be the last time. There’ll be at least one more, won’t it?” Thania smiles. You know she’s talking about the impending marriage. “I feel that together, we can do anything. We always have, haven’t we, Dio?”

She was right, in a way – she had been extremely helpful to you over the years. Certainly, you knew that she thought of you as her best friend and lover, not some noble sop that she was to marry for upward mobility in the social strata. Out of the corner of your eye, you spot the Emperor at last. It looks like Thania would be helpful to you again tonight.

Emperor Rennephilio XIV was a dark-haired, stocky man of maybe 40 years of age. He had been on the throne for 15 years, and everyone agreed that he was the best Emperor they had ever had. Of course, everyone says that right up until the new Emperor takes his throne, so you had never bought into what people said, but instead observed what they did.

Rennephilio was a good Emperor for you; that was your conclusion. He cared not for intrigue, but more for the pleasure of his rank, exercising a libido that was said to be legendary. In his youth he had been a good warrior, but that had not translated to steel in the battlefield of politics. This effectively meant that actual governance was left to the Council of Kings, though it also meant that when Rennephilio insisted on something, the Council were more inclined to give it to him without any debates as he rarely demanded anything of them. His lack of interest in politics meant that the kings and nobles had more or less dismissed him – not to his face – during his time on the throne. You know better, of course; Rennephilio is still the Emperor of the Shinari, and he wielded great power if he should choose to use it.

You would just have to find a way to entice him to.

Besides Rennephilio stood his son and heir, Runikylos, the eldest son of the the Emperor’s Egyptian consort, and the most promising prince in the entire Imperial family. Given all the talk of the rumoured return of the First Emperor in the more religious corners of the Empire, some have even taken to calling him Ean reborn. You could believe that, as he cut a dashing figure in contrast to his father; tall, handsome and intelligent. He was your age, and you had attended the Academy together, though in different classes.

As you approach them, the Emperor notices you and gives you a big grin of approval. He holds out his hand. You bow as you kiss it, and Thania repeats the same. Watching the Emperor closely, you note the gleam in his eye as he followed her curves as she bows. You had studied the Emperor’s interests, and the dress you bought for Thania had been tailored to it.

“My Emperor,” you say, with one hand held over your chest. “I hope our hospitality is to your liking?”

“Oh, yes, of course. The wine is superb, the food is excellent, and every beauty in Etruria seems to be present. So this is your fiancée, Camna?” As he says that, his gaze again wanders over Thania. You could sense that she was getting uncomfortable, but she kept her smile on her face and held her posture. You heave a sigh of relief inwardly that she was at least competent enough to do that. Thania bows again. “Yes, my Emperor, I have the great honour of being betrothed to Sir Camna.” The Emperor nods approvingly and slowly. “I’m sure the honour is his… You are a lucky man, Camna. A lucky man.”

“Indeed, my Emperor.” You bow again, as an expression of gratefulness.

“Ah, father, you must not monopolize their time to yourself. Sir Camna, a pleasure to meet you at last.” Prince Runikylos steps forward to change the topic, a smile on his face, and holds out his hand. It was not a gesture for you to kiss it, however, but to shake it. You do so.

“The pleasure is all mine, my prince, but what do you mean, at last?”

“We went to the Academy together, though we were in different classes. Your thesis on the benefits of the continued independence of Free Scania was extremely interesting.”

You open your eyes in amazement. “Truly, the imperial family is possessed of divine patience. This is the first I’ve heard of anyone that actually read that damned tome.”
The prince chuckles, knowing your mock surprise is in good humour. “Oh, it is a real damned thick tome indeed. My learning master said it was twice as thick as the usual submissions he received, so he gave it twice the marks.”

You laugh. “I should thank him for allowing me to top the class then. But come, my Emperor, Prince Runikylos, the banquet is just getting started. Shall I call for more wine? I must’ve raided every cellar in Etruria just to find a drink befitting the Imperial family.”

All the poison tasters in the world wouldn’t have been looking for a subtle aphrodisiac slipped into the wine. It had been hard to procure, but the effects could be easily passed off as a matter of the alcohol loosening inhibitions. As the night wore on, you called Thania over, in full view of the Emperor, and asked her to fetch something from your chambers. It didn’t take long before Rennephilio, slightly tipsy, excused himself too, and walked off after Thania. Soon after that, you notice a concerned Runikylos rise from his seat. This will not do – you walk over to him, putting on a slightly worried look on your face.

“My prince, I am the host here, so please leave this to me.”

He shakes his head. “I know my father’s vices, and as his son I will be better placed to deal with any problems that might occur.”

“It is not for a son to see his father’s shame. I do not want any family arguments to occur under my roof, not when…” your voice trails off, choking slightly, and the prince’s face turns slightly red. He was a smart one, and caught your intent immediately.

“I’m sorry, Sir Camna, I spoke without regard… I am sorry. You must still be grieving over the death of your esteemed father… I understand.”

“Please, let me handle the matter, my prince.”

He nods, and pats you on the shoulder. You give him a grateful smile, and walk off to your chambers. Although it was a short walk, you took your time, and when you opened the door to your room, you were greeted with the sight of Thania’s tear-stained face, her torn dress, and the Emperor attempting to hold her down. They turn to look at you, on one face an expression of hope, and the other one of surprise.

A. Your plan was proceeding smoothly. You allow the Emperor to continue his activities...

B. Somehow, you find yourself unable to go through with this. You stop the Emperor.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
A, I say. The Emperor, it would seem, is accustomed to getting what he wants. It would be extremely unwise to interrupt him.

Random question treave: how is sea exploration going? Any chances our Empire will discover the New World? Or at least a sea route to Concordiat?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Empire has explored Greenland, but as the weather is getting colder, attempts at colonization are frustrated. There has been a Greek colony on Iceland for about two hundred years now. Also, the Empire and the Concordiat already have a sea route to each other, but no ships that can actually make the journey without making multiple stops at ports along the coastline of the Indus Empire.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
God, we're such an evil manipulative snake, which is fine enough, but we're one without any true friends. We're a mask to all the world. Still, now would be exactly the wrong moment to have a change of heart (Although I suspect that if we do not choose B then the Emperor's son may take a disliking to us, which may come to bite us in the ass if his father dies). Suffice to say, I'm willing to choose B, but practicality demands A.

A

Also:
Blackadder460.jpg

Baltika9

Arcane
Hmm, not only a choice between loyalty and manipulation, but the long and short term. The banquet was excellent. This, however, is where it pays off. We bet on either Emps, for a reward now or Lil' E, for a reward later.
Looking for input, leaning to B.

Tigranes

Arcane
B. As has been pointed out it's a long/short term choice. We clearly have the silver tongue to make sure the Emperor isn't so offended to screw us over (after all, I doubt even he can just argue his case to have his way with his host's fiancee to the public), and this is our opportunity not only to get on the Very Good side of Lil' E, but also to show everyone in the world how noble and principled we are. That will pay its dividends.

Although, the Emperor IS only 40, and they don't seem to go to war themselves, so maybe it's too long term...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Dio might be insane enough to abandon his plan for gaining the Emperor's favor at the crucial moment, but not insane enough to actually remove the man by force. :lol:

Esquilax

Arcane
Why are so many people voting B? The Emperor is still relatively young, unskilled at politics, and easy to manipulate. Diogenes has proven himself to be a complete sociopath, so flip-flopping the plan we've set into motion thus far is plain crazy. Dio didn't hesitate at all to kill his adoptive father and brother, so he should have no problem with letting the Emperor rape Thania either.

Rennephilio was a good Emperor for you; that was your conclusion. He cared not for intrigue, but more for the pleasure of his rank, exercising a libido that was said to be legendary. In his youth he had been a good warrior, but that had not translated to steel in the battlefield of politics. This effectively meant that actual governance was left to the Council of Kings, though it also meant that when Rennephilio insisted on something, the Council were more inclined to give it to him without any debates as he rarely demanded anything of them. His lack of interest in politics meant that the kings and nobles had more or less dismissed him – not to his face – during his time on the throne. You know better, of course; Rennephilio is still the Emperor of the Shinari, and he wielded great power if he should choose to use it.

You would just have to find a way to entice him to.

Beautiful. This guy is the perfect puppet - as long as we throw enough pussy his way to feed his vices, he can be easily swayed in our favour. The son might be a problem down the line, but so long as we manage to gain the Emperor's trust, we could turn him against his heir if the prince becomes a problem. The potential benefit of a better relationship with the prince in the distant future just doesn't seem to appealing to me. Building a power base takes time, and we need to create the foundation for it now.

If the Emperor were an old man, I guess B would be a good idea, but given the situation as is, it just doesn't seem wise.

A

Baltika9

Arcane
Now that I thought about it, A means going through with our plan and gambling on Emps, while B means forfeiting immediate benefits in exchange for the Prince's favor, and going to the Capital, where we will be under his and Watcher protection.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, Dio's plan is nothing as simple as just giving the Emperor women. If that was sufficient to get him to weigh in on politics others would've succeeded long ago. :smug:

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm on telegraph, so this will take a few posts .Bear with me.
B is not at all meritless. In fact, it is the long term gamble. Consider this: our fiance, lack of manners aside, is a rather good compliment to D. Using her as a filly is a waste. Resources.

Baltika9

Arcane
Emps is an ineffectual, hedonistic ruler. The Watchers did not recruit us "just 'cause." I get the feeling that we're meeting the prince for a reason. I get the feeling that his pop won't live much longer, even if by our hand/scheming, or the Watchrers'.

Baltika9

Arcane
Building points with Lil' E is important.
If A wins, we must make our moves fast. I'm sure Emps has these parties very often and won't remember us too long.
Then again, I really want to play Tywin.
Esquilax: why do we always end up on opposite sides?

ScubaV

Prophet
I would think you tentacle lovers would bee-line straight for the tasteful rape. You gotta think with those other heads.
:mhd:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Hate to be meta, guys, but treave did just suggest that the only reason Dio could have the idea of abandoning the plan this far in is because he's "insane".
treave said:
Dio might be insane enough to abandon his plan for gaining the Emperor's favor at the crucial moment, but not insane enough to actually remove the man by force.

Doesn't that strike you who want to pick b as...a hint?

Esquilax

Arcane
You don't need to use metagaming to figure out that B is a shitty idea.

Building points with Lil' E is important.
If A wins, we must make our moves fast. I'm sure Emps has these parties very often and won't remember us too long.
Then again, I really want to play Tywin.
Esquilax: why do we always end up on opposite sides?

Okay, why are you voting for B? What I think is going on is that you are used to playing a very moral character in Ean, so now you're trying to rationalize bad decisions because you're not quite comfortable with how much of a complete asshole Diogenes is. Well, better get used to it.

We have already committed ourselves to this:

He shakes his head. “I know my father’s vices, and as his son I will be better placed to deal with any problems that might occur.”

“It is not for a son to see his father’s shame. I do not want any family arguments to occur under my roof, not when…” your voice trails off, choking slightly, and the prince’s face turns slightly red. He was a smart one, and caught your intent immediately.

“I’m sorry, Sir Camna, I spoke without regard… I am sorry. You must still be grieving over the death of your esteemed father… I understand.”

If Dio really wanted to stop the Emperor, he would have simply sent the prince to talk him down. We are already fully committed to putting this plan into motion, so we can't back out like this now, it's the worst sort of flip-flopping. The prince has had to prevent his father from taking liberties before, but I doubt our intervention will be greeted so kindly, even if we are his host.

The son could pose problems for us - he is clearly more intelligent and politically adept than his father. In any case, the son won't cause any problems for us in the near future because as long as he doesn't find out about the fact that we lied to him right now, we'll be fine. And even if he does find out eventually, we can build up a power base to properly neutralize any of the moves he makes. If we get the Emperor on our side, we can start making efforts to marginalize the prince.

We have absolutely nothing to lose and a lot to gain by earning the Emperor's confidence, so I see no reason to oppose him. In the meantime, we'll build up our power base in Ankida by being close to him, earning contacts and allies along the way. If relations with the Prince deteriorate in the next 20 or so years, at that point we will have enough clout to counter him.

As for the wife, she has been useful to us, but we'll find a new one who is even more useful to us. Thalia's family name is worth less than even Dio's, so we should look for a wife from a more prestigious family - that would really allow Dio to move up the social ladder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom