Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Something similar to late-era Renaissance clothing, perhaps? I'm not too good with fashion.

That would translate into the 1600's (hey, it's the 1200's when going by the numbers. I REALLY appreciate the technological and cultural 400 years edge Mankind got :salute: even though our firearms should be more advanced to fit the period completely). Think The Three Musketeers, Cardinal Richelieu, the Thirty-Years War, Charles X Gustav of Sweden, Cromwell, and maybe even early Louis XIV.
And we chose to engage in skullduggery at a time like that. OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN :bounce:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't see how B would benefit us. Better to let him think we're in his power to stall for time in order to learn more. We won't get anything done from being outside of the system.

A

Esquilax

Arcane
:lol: Holy shit, this guy is the anti-Ean! I like him, and he's pretty much the exact opposite of Ean in terms of personality and skills. I guess we've got our Shulgi.

A is the clear choice here - these people could find and kill us easily, best to play along then make a move once we start seeing things more clearly. Hosting the Emperor isn't exactly something that comes around every day, especially given the weak fortunes of House Camna, so of course we'll take the opportunity.

The Council of Nobles used to consist of all landed noblemen throughout the Empire, until several kingdoms began parceling their land up into smaller and smaller pieces as to gain more voices on the council. Since then, a fixed allocation of equal seats has been implemented. A position on the council is held for life, or at the Emperor's pleasure, and gaining a seat is only possible through the recommendation of more than 20% of the noblemen of the council. However, it is rare for more than half of the noblemen to be present at any sitting. The Council of Nobles serves the function of vetting the decrees passed down by the Emperor and the Council of Kings. They may also propose amendments, or new rules and edicts for the Council of Kings to present to the Emperor.
“What’s so interesting about me?”

“Everything. Your birthplace is unknown. Your birth parents are unknown. You were adopted by Velius Camna at the age of 10. You graduated with honours from the Imperial Academy, with the highest marks in the subjects of politics and foreign affairs. Despite that, you refused an offer to serve directly with the Imperial Office of Foreign Affairs, instead opting for a posting in your hometown of Aritim, the capital of Etruria. Your reason was this – ‘I wanted to be close to my father and my betrothed.’"

Ah, okay, so we wanted to stay home so we could off the old man in hopes of eventually garnering enough support to take his spot. treave, what is the general opinion about the current Emperor regarding his competence? Does he have a lot of enemies? Dio is pretty removed from the politics of Ankida, but he probably knows hearsay from the other nobles or his father regarding their views of the Emperor.

Initial speculation: the masked man is part of a group of rogue Watchers, which explains how he would have gotten the signet ring and how he knows so much about us. Also, this is naive, but the group may in fact be patriots - they see that the empire is on the brink of disaster, and they see Diogenes as potentially talented enough to lead the country. Things are still really murky, but I think that there is something that this individual has in mind for Dio that goes far beyond just framing him for an assassination - there are lots of other petty nobles desperate for power that the Watchers could frame that are far dumber than Dio, so why pick him? Why keep track of us for so long?

B
Edit: treave, important question, other than his skill at politics and manipulation, what other skills does Dio have? Is he a great singer? How close is humanity to advancing to a new Golden Age via the invention of heavy metal, with Dio becoming the new frontman?

Tigranes

Arcane
Maybe I missed some part of the update, but we were never really told much about the makeup of the imperial family. I wouldn't be surprised if the Watchers have a system of selecting talented noblemen and making them Emperors' shadow chancellors, or even Emperors themselves - or, as Esquilax says, if there were factions within the Watchers with different interests re. such a process of intrigue.

No-brainer A here, but yes, we'll have to find out exactly why Dio.

Baltika9

Arcane
The situation is not very complicated. The operative question is: who has the knife?A
treave, quick question: will he be able to learn new skills(namely self defence)?
Bros, we need to establish a loose set of goals for this chapter to focus on

TOME

Cuckmaster General
So how are relations with Etruria and the Empire? And between Etruria and their king? It would be a grave insult to the king if the Emperor were to stay with someone else. Civil wars have been started with less.

B.

Baltika9

Arcane
Now that I sat down and thought about it some, the choices are less about "lol banquet" vs "nah brah, tits or Gtfo", but more about how we will approach Dio's rise and career: do we build power in Etruria, by option A and the timely death of our father to usurp House Camna and recommend ourselves by impressing the Emperor at The banquet/assassinating him at the request of the watchers and working our way up as a public figure, OR we choose B: decline and go to the Ministry of Foreign affairs and work our way up as a diplomat/servant of the Emperor.
“ You graduated with honours from the Imperial Academy, with the highest marks in the subjects of politics and foreign affairs.
In essence, it is a choice between which of the two skillsets we use.

Now, treave, my bro, I would really appreciate if you answered these questions. Inquiring minds must know.
1. Can we get a character skillet for Dio? I get politics and foreign affairs, but what else? I am especially interested in his dueling skills. Also, will we be able to teach him new skills?
2. If I correctly understand our situation, we basically have 8.0 gold, zero prestige points and a Barony?
3. What kind of lands does Camna own? City, castle or just a large mansion in the countryside with a couple peasants and servants?
4. Am I correct in assuming that the characters we didn't pick will carry on with their lives of fame and glory and that we will (hopefully) be playing a regular mortal man for this chapter?
5. Has Dio exhibited any strange powers throughout his life (THE POWER OF METAL)?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1. No.
2. Pretty much.
3. Manor is within the city limits, but you own some farms out in the countryside.
4. You'll see.
5. Not yet.

Baltika9

Arcane
Now for our goals. We must, absolutely must, establish a flexible framework for this chapter to succeed, otherwise I'll decide to fuck it and go back to full retard, because this will be a rerun of chapter six. So, let's DISCUSS!, bros.

Dio comes across as a man that will do everything in his power to win, only he will do so smartly, keeping his...hands...clea- wait a minute, where have I seen this before:

“Before the year is out. I’ve been transferred to the Foreign Affairs Office in the Velius Camna, patriarch of House Camna. Under his kind and charitable watch, the House’s fortunes have declined, though you think that would soon change.

“Thank you, Dio, thank you. Thank the Emperor I raised you well. After Arte died… You are a good boy… all I have left…” Velius’s voice trails off before he breaks into another fit of coughing. As you leave your father’s side to go back to your seat, he speaks up again. “I hear you have been promoted to Ankida, Dio, my boy. Is that true?

“Oh, don’t! Dio, don’t say that, I will be fine!” laughs Velius, somewhat bitterly. “If this old man wants for anything, it is for you to succeed in life.”

You will, you think, no matter what.

“I don’t trust the servants, father. We are House Camna. We might be powerless and poor now, but we are still related to the throne"

Hmm... Ruthless, talented, cunning, tenacious, ambitious with a kind, but weak father. And he's blonde.

...Dear Emperor, could it be?
It is him!
tywin-tv1.jpg

treave, I demand that this be the banner of House Camna:
images

They used to make jokes of it being in the Emperor's bedchambers, but that stopped in 2130 A.C. when the puritan Emperor Knuttion had anyone who even suggested the idea of the First Emperor being involved with animals executed for blasphemy.

I think the good Emperor doth protest too much. But, tell me, will Ean and Sekhenun ever meet again? I must know! Please!

Esquilax

Arcane
The problem in Chapter 6 wasn't a lack of goals (we had plenty of goals in the beginning), it was going full-retard at the end because we stopped thinking. The framework is pretty simple for now, really: every move that we make should be predicated on advancing our position in the world. Dio is very different from Ean, so we we should play him appropriately. Anyways, here's the preview treave gave us:

...if you're a young noble you will be scheming right in the thick of things, your face known to the world, where alliances may change from day to day, and the risks are greater but the rewards even more so.

Right now, Dio's power base is very weak. A would bring Dio a lot of scorn and jealousy from the other nobles now that we're seen as favoured by the Emperor. Regardless of what choice we make, Dio is going to be leaving for his new job in Ankida soon, and I am sure that once word gets around that he's had a meeting with the Emperor, he's bound to catch a ton of resentment, especially given House Camna's low status. It will put a bullseye on us.

The differences between A and B are the amount of risk we're willing to take. B would mean less negative attention from our peers and is certainly safer, and would likely involve a slower, steadier rise to power where we can build our strength from a position of relative anonymity. We'd also be able to guide events from the shadows with greater ease, which is why I'm flopping to it. We'll also be heading into the capital without anyone that we can trust - Tullus and Crassio will not be coming with us, apparently. Regarding our masked friend, I'm fairly convinced that whatever interests our masked assailant represents aren't there to frame us or assassinate the Emperor:

“The event itself is our goal. We desire nothing more than that. I will say this – you were chosen for a reason.”

Right now, I'm working under the theory that a certain set of interests wants to facilitate Diogenes' rise to power for as-of-yet unknown reasons. The people who are doing this are more interested in observing and setting certain events into motion that are favourable to them.

I believe that the Emperor and our masked contact are very close, hence his signet ring. This person doesn't have assassination in mind; If he wanted to kill the Emperor, the masked man could probably have done so already given that he's in a trusted position. Whatever game is going on, there's more to it than a petty assassination plot.

Baltika9

Arcane
The problem in Chapter 6 wasn't a lack of goals (we had plenty of goals in the beginning), it was going full-retard at the end because we stopped thinking. The framework is pretty simple for now, really: every move that we make should be predicated on advancing our position in the world. Dio is very different from Ean, so we we should play him appropriately.
Exactly, we had a lot of goals. And that is exactly why most of us went full retard: we put too much shit on our plate and couldn't pick which one to finish first, so we ended up half-assing it by trying to please Athena, close the rift, unravel Skane and save China, all at once. I said it before, but the reason I said decided to fuck everything was because we were rather unfocused.
What is optimal is a small set of loose and flexible goals that do not railroad us, but give us a point of reference for our actions, such as: better the Empire by advancing competent people into positions of power and disposing of inefficiency, and also advancing our own standing within it, optimally becoming the Emperor, or his right hand man. However, for no reason should we put our character above the wellbeing of the Empire, as that would be incredibly shortsighted, as Ean is going to return, in one form or the other.

As for hosting the Emperor, it is a question of high risk for high reward. If we impress him, I am quite sure he will reward Dio suitably and advance him rather quickly, and definately put him into a public position (I'm hoping for a governor position, eventually). However, it will indeed attract haters, forcing us to be much more careful. So, this boils down to either being the cunning serpent, or the roaring lion, politically speaking of course.
And I really want to play as a Tywin Lannister figure, so I'm sticking to A.

Esquilax

Arcane
Exactly, we had a lot of goals. And that is exactly why most of us went full retard: we put too much shit on our plate and couldn't pick which one to finish first, so we ended up half-assing it by trying to please Athena, close the rift, unravel Skane and save China, all at once. I said it before, but the reason I said decided to fuck everything was because we were rather unfocused.

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but that's just not true. We started off the chapter by picking a goal and sticking with it - we chose to deal with the rift, so I don't see how we were half-assing it by doing too many things at once. We put our efforts toward the Terasphagos threat nearly every single time we had the opportunity to, so I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that we were unfocused.

Saving China and pleasing Athena had nothing to do with the stupid decisions we made at the end of the Chapter. What happened was that people were desperate to close the rift and unwilling to gamble on Vajra, then once we were inside the portal, the voters got all "oh shit what do I do?" and voted for sphere diplomacy, which sealed Ean's fate. Blaming it on not paying attention to China or Athena or something equally irrelevant is pure rationalization. The mistakes we made occurred once we encountered the rift, not before.

Anyways, enough about that. We've spent way too much time on that topic.

What is optimal is a small set of loose and flexible goals that do not railroad us, but give us a point of reference for our actions, such as: better the Empire by advancing competent people into positions of power and disposing of inefficiency, and also advancing our own standing within it, optimally becoming the Emperor, or his right hand man. However, for no reason should we put our character above the wellbeing of the Empire, as that would be incredibly shortsighted, as Ean is going to return, in one form or the other.

Play the character the way he's written as. He's an ambitious, cunning and ruthless noble who wants to gain power and influence to reverse the decline of his House. Fortunately, the better the Empire does, the better it is for our House. We can use that as our guide. Ean might return, but right now we're Diogenes, so what Ean is going to do isn't relevant at the moment. Put that out of your mind.

Anyways, A is a lock regardless, so I'm not going to argue for B even though I think it's the smarter decision in the long-run.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm back on telegraph.@Esquilax: when I said to keep the Empire first, I meant us, not him. Let Dio go his things and us worry about the bigger picture, as in not compromising the Empire and optimizing it, if possible. About risks(continued in next post)

Baltika9

Arcane
Didn't you just finish talking about being gunshy? But, more importantly, while all you said is true, the SS would not recruit a promising asset to just abandon it completely. They mustn't be our crutch, but they are another tool for survival and sucess.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A - We wanted to be a scheming politician. Might as well go all in...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom