Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
*20 years later, in the depths of Shaolin*

"This time... this time we have succeeded! This mannequin will be unbreakable, not by Xu Jing, not by Zhang Jue, not by ANYBODY! Yes! Yes!! YES!!!" The Chief Metalworker of Shaolin cackles maniacally, bent over his latest creation.

"C-Chief, you're getting carried away." The wide-eyed novice backs up, clutching his tongs, away from the Chief and his doll.

"This model will be the pinnacle of my art," coos the Chief, running his callused hands over the smooth metal curves. "Finally I will make them eat humble dirt. This year's mannequins will break them, in revenge for all those they have destroyed before! Year after year they come and trample my beautiful creations into the dust, leaving them in pieces... well, NO MORE! Uhihihihihihihihi!"

"I-I see... but Chief, why did we have to make it in the form of a woman?"

"It is okay, young grasshopper. The Buddha will understand."

"But-"

"The. Buddha. Will. Understand." The Chief's eyes, large, bulging and mad, pin the novice to the spot. He can do nothing but gulp nervously and nod.

"Now..." The Chief smiles, his thin lips stretching over a wide rictus, his breath quickening. "Time to make her... alive..." He reaches his hand over to the lever. Thunder rumbles overhead, as if his presumptuous actions are drawing the wrath of Heaven...

Akkudakku

Arbiter
*20 years later, in the depths of Shaolin*

"This time... this time we have succeeded! This mannequin will be unbreakable, not by Xu Jing, not by Zhang Jue, not by ANYBODY! Yes! Yes!! YES!!!" The Chief Metalworker of Shaolin cackles maniacally, bent over his latest creation.

"C-Chief, you're getting carried away." The wide-eyed novice backs up, clutching his tongs, away from the Chief and his doll.

"This model will be the pinnacle of my art," coos the Chief, running his callused hands over the smooth metal curves. "Finally I will make them eat humble dirt. This year's mannequins will break them, in revenge for all those they have destroyed before! Year after year they come and trample my beautiful creations into the dust, leaving them in pieces... well, NO MORE! Uhihihihihihihihi!"

"I-I see... but Chief, why did we have to make it in the form of a woman?"

"It is okay, young grasshopper. The Buddha will understand."

"But-"

"The. Buddha. Will. Understand." The Chief's eyes, large, bulging and mad, pin the novice to the spot. He can do nothing but gulp nervously and nod.

"Now..." The Chief smiles, his thin lips stretching over a wide rictus, his breath quickening. "Time to make her... alive..." He reaches his hand over to the lever. Thunder rumbles overhead, as if his presumptuous actions are drawing the wrath of Heaven...
I get some EPIC vibe from this.. How was THAT creep named? :D

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmm, would the golem's name be Nuwa, by any chance?

Gentlemen, we have our Wuxian Terminator plot right here.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can't shake the feeling that going for a completely safe option with no personal drawbacks whatsoever after assembling the ultimate YOLO team is only going to make things that much harder for us.

I am on the verge of flopping to A, really.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Our Shouwang claw's description says we can tear down trees...wooden dummies...toothpicks...Burma shave.

Fangshi

Arcane
Jing has spent years fighting in forests on Maniac Island. How many trees have we destroyed in that time? Now it looks like the trees want revenge.

We must fight them honourably while holding nothing back!

None of this cautious and safe crap and no hiding on their heads.

We shall crush them like a man and make Lord Zhang proud!

A.

Don't suppose we could tear one of the dummies up and use it as a shield?

Fangshi

Arcane
Akkudakku said:
What if our dummy destroying rampage means that Yunzi falls down and gets killed?

Then we have six more wives. I fail to see the problem.

She is as tough as Jing (without our boosts), she is almost as strong and she is faster than Jing. She should be able to dodge the odd flying dummy.

Maybe she will realize how much fun it is and join in. We can wreck the Shaolin's labyrinth together. Very romantic.

Esquilax

Arcane
I can't shake the feeling that going for a completely safe option with no personal drawbacks whatsoever after assembling the ultimate YOLO team is only going to make things that much harder for us.

I am on the verge of flopping to A, really.

I agree. While it's fairly clear that B is a bad idea because we don't have Yunzi's speed or skill at qinggong to pull it off, her hyper-competitiveness will mean that she'll start smashing dummies as soon as she sees Jing doing it just to prove that she's better than him. I can still see the merit in C, though. I mean, sure, on paper it makes perfect sense; we have the time to spare and we need to remain healthy for the remaining challenges. But it'll also split us apart, as Yunzi will definitely progress this stage faster than us with her method.

Tentatively voting A, though I still can be persuaded to a C flop.

What if our dummy destroying rampage means that Yunzi falls down and gets killed?

If Yunzi cannot survive a bunch of mannequins, she is not worthy of being in our harem.

Fangshi

Arcane
Actually speaking of smashing things.

treave what is the floor made of?

Presumably the dummies are animated by machinery located below the floor. Could we not just tear the floor up, destroy the machinery and push through that way?

Esquilax

Arcane
Oh, by the way, when we die in the process of completing this challenge, we must play as the mad Shaolin Metalworker in a timeskip twenty years from now. I like him even more than Zhang Manxing.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Actually speaking of smashing things.

treave what is the floor made of?

Presumably the dummies are animated by machinery located below the floor. Could we not just tear the floor up, destroy the machinery and push through that way?
As if treave would allow us the easymode...

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh, by the way, when we die in the process of completing this challenge, we must play as the mad Shaolin Metalworker in a timeskip twenty years from now. I like him even more than Zhang Manxing.
Na, for me, Zhang Manxing is my second favourite character, right after Diogenes Canma. Someday I hope we'll get to play someone as upright and honest as either of the previous two again.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

The floor is wooden, but there's earth underneath. It would be faster to destroy the mannequins than to try and find what's moving them. It's not like you're going to open up the floorboards and see Chief Metalworker and his novice hiding underneath turning a huge crank to move the dolls.

As if treave would allow us the easymode...

I'm allowing you guys to do C, aren't I?

Fangshi

Arcane
Fair enough, but you never know till you ask.

treave said:
It's not like you're going to open up the floorboards and see Chief Metalworker and his novice hiding underneath turning a huge crank to move the dolls.

A man can dream... a man can dream... :lol:

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, let's say we pick C, and then Yunzi finishes earlier than us to go on to face the next challenge. Is it possible that she softens up the Thirty-Two Warriors before we end up progressing to that stage? I mean, we'll still be behind her in the race, but what I'm getting at is that she could make the subsequent challenge easier for us too.

Also, regarding B: could we use Wuxiang Qiankun to mimic Yunzi's qinggong and simply progress that way? I don't remember if this is the case, but could we mimic her qinggong to be as proficient as she is? Just curious about our options here and the potential consequences down the road for this challenge based on what we pick here.

Tribute

Arbiter
We could probably mimic the skill, but she still has higher raw Agility than we do, so if it depends on her AGI score in order to pull it off we may be in trouble.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Can't mimic her qinggong.

As for progression, it depends on how the fights end up. Any stages that Yunzi defeats in such a way that they are still able to fight means the monks there willl continue to get in your way when you arrive on that floor. If she outright demolishes them, however, you won't need to clear that floor by virtue of them all already being sent to the ward, so there's no one left for you to fight.

ChumBucket

Augur
But can we mimic a tech that boosts her qinggong? Provided we don't already possess it of course.

Kipeci

Arcane
Why are there so many A votes? Let's not blow our load on the first challenge, we can't even replenish qi from these things and we're very likely to be injured.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom