Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ok. Add a conditional >B3 to my vote if its not there already.

And damn you guys for going whole hog on one skill. I half hope that bites us in the ass down the road.

Esquilax

Arcane
And damn you guys for going whole hog on one skill. I half hope that bites us in the ass down the road.

I gotta agree with this (except for the part about hoping it bites us in the ass). While it's pretty clear that our emphasis should be on the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill, I don't like that we're just going after it pretty much exclusively in these training sessions. Mimicking techniques will be useless at the Sword Conference, where the people we're fighting will have techniques that are designed for their particular sword. You aren't going to copy the techniques used by the Sword Saint's big-ass Zhanlu Sword with Jing's small, light and speedy Yuchang Sword and be anywhere near as effective while doing it.

I hope we'll get one more training opportunity before the big conference, because at that point we're going to need something to work with that's actually applicable in that context. Given that the Xuanyuan Sword is at stake, and that there are a whole bunch of hidden players in the manual hunt that have yet to reveal themselves, we'd be wise not to ignore how big this event will be. Look at this list:

Tai'e Sword
Forged from a falling star by the master swordsmiths Ou Yezi and Gan Jiang during the Spring and Autumn Period, said to be bestowed upon the King of Chu as a blessing from the gods. It is said that it draws upon the courageous will of its wielder to augment the swordsman's qi, striking fear into his opponents when drawn. Currently in possession of Taishan as one of their sect's treasures.

Qixing Longyuan Sword
WHEREABOUTS UNKNOWN

Chixiao Sword
A blood-red sword drawn from the corpse of a giant white snake, this sword once belonged to the founding Emperor of the Han Dynasty, Liu Bang. It has a commanding presence, and is rumoured to have been bestowed upon the Han Emperor by an immortal. Its whereabouts have been unknown since the fall of the Han Dynasty more than six hundred years ago, but recently it is rumoured that a mysterious swordsman has been spotted wielding a crimson blade.

Chengying Sword
A delicate sword with a light, flexible blade. Its maker is unknown, but the history of the sword dates back to the Shang Dynasty, more than two thousand years ago. In the hands of a skilled user, the blade appears almost invisible in action. It was rumoured to be in the possession of the Xiahou clan, a family of bureaucrats and scholars, but since the massacre of the clan the sword has gone missing. (Crazy Theory: Could Zhang Manlou have had a hand in the massacre of Xiahou Yu's family as well)

Chunjun Sword
Forged by Ou Yezi for the King of Yue, this majestic sword appears to glow radiantly when drawn under sunlight. It is said to be able to cut through another sword with a single blow, such is its power. Currently in possession of the Master of the Huashan Sect, Nie Wuxing.

Gan Jiang and Mo Ye
Forged by the swordsmith couple Gan Jiang and Mo Ye for the King of Wu. It is rumoured that the wife, Mo Ye, turned herself into a human sacrifice to complete the twin swords. The Gan Jiang Sword is powerful and commanding while the Mo Ye Sword is gentle and flexible. It is currently in the keeping of the swordsman Zuo Qingfeng and his wife, You Lanhai.

So we've got the Chengying Sword, the Qixing Longyuan Sword and the Chixiao Sword currently with whereabouts unknown or in the possession of unknown players. Given the stake everyone has in the manual hunt and the bait being dangled at the conference to ensure everyone's arrival, we shouldn't underestimate this.

Basically what I'm saying is IF WE DONT VOTE FOR IV JING IS GOING TO DIE AND ZHANG MANXING'S GHOST WILL RAPE OUR GIRLS!!! DO YOU WANT THAT TO HAPPEN?!?!

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Yeah "hope it bites us in the ass" was to harsh. I'm just more than a little tired of the tunnel vision displayed here.

On that note, flop my X vote to the Spenta earth stance. IX I think.

Tribute

Arbiter
I really want to go see Wudang, if only because they fit us really well in terms of their specialties, we like them, and we keep passing up vote after vote to go see them. Plus Bro Fu is there. I wouldn't mind explaining to him what Zhang Manxing's deal was. I think he'd believe us.

That and we know they're not going to send us to Youxia City.

Absinthe

Arcane
I gotta agree with this (except for the part about hoping it bites us in the ass). While it's pretty clear that our emphasis should be on the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill, I don't like that we're just going after it pretty much exclusively in these training sessions. Mimicking techniques will be useless at the Sword Conference, where the people we're fighting will have techniques that are designed for their particular sword. You aren't going to copy the techniques used by the Sword Saint's big-ass Zhanlu Sword with Jing's small, light and speedy Yuchang Sword and be anywhere near as effective while doing it.
Well, part of the reason we're voting for Wuxiang Qiankun right now is because the mystery boosts keep providing relevant bonuses to our character. The last Wuxiang Qiankun boost gave us +2 qinggong with an agi boost and everything. At the same time, B1 gives us a much-needed upgrade to our Yuchang Sword (along with presumably a +1 to swords) ensuring our sword skills stay relevant. So, while certainly we could pick up powerful techniques if we weren't focusing on Wuxiang Qiankun, it's not like we're just abandoning current needs for some down-the-road perks.

I'm also double-voting X and XI because I don't see II winning and since we're making enemies of the Zhang family, we should either get the poison-absorption neigong or a higher neigong to resist poisons right now. With two boosts to Wuxiang Qiankun, I'm hoping for a +1 to neigong.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally:

A1 - 1
A3 - 2
B1 - 16
B2 - 1
B3 - 10

A - 17
B - 11

II - 2
IV - 7
VI - 3
VII - 2
VIII - 1
IX - 5
X - 16
XI - 22

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a change in reputation scores.

Was said:
Beggars' Sect: +15 (Neutral)
Emei Sect: -35 (Shunned)
Wudang Sect: -15 (Neutral)
Shaolin Temple: -25 (Shunned)
Qingcheng Sect: -50 (Disliked)
Kunlun Sect: -50 (Disliked)
Taishan Sect: -50 (Disliked)
Huashan Sect: -40 (Shunned)

Yuhua Hall: +5 (Neutral)
Imperial Court: -50 (Disliked)
Zhang Clan: ??? (Didn't track)

Now said:
Beggars' Sect: 0 (Neutral)
Emei Sect: 0 (Neutral)
Wudang Sect: 0 (Neutral)
Shaolin Temple: 0 (Neutral)
Qingcheng Sect: -60 (Disliked)
Kunlun Sect: -60 (Disliked)
Taishan Sect: -60 (Disliked)
Huashan Sect: -75 (Hated)

Yuhua Hall: +50 (Liked)
Imperial Court: -60 (Disliked)
Zhang Clan: -100 (Sworn Enemy)
Either Emei really, really didn't like manxing, or something funny happened.

At least the courtesans love us. I guess that's a plus.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Did we got boost here? I hazard a guess that Zhang was client of this establishment... taking into consideration how he behaved disliked one.

Ok our first -100. Guess it took us 2 chapters, so not that bad.

Think there was some changes here.

Your meditation has also borne fruit by improving your mind, allowing you to think and reason more clearly than before (+1 Intelligence)
Something new, sweet int boost and not restricked to either order or chaos.

Jiuying Zhiyu Sword (九影制獄劍, Nine Shadows Imprisonment Sword).
Level 1:
Reflective Blade's Shadow - A slow yin move allowing the sword to appear as if it is engulfed in darkness, disguising its movements.
Self-Taught Style.
Level 4:
Gentle Storm Dance - An extremely swift sword dance derived from Huashan's Kuangfeng Swift Sword and your own Leaf Dance of the Azure Dragon, focusing on speedy slashes and precision jabs.
Red Cloud Sword - A powerful sword move inspired by Huashan's Zixia Swordplay, channeling a strong, chaotic swirl of qi to enhance the strength and speed of the attacks.
New techs.

Nevill

Arcane
Did we got boost here? I hazard a guess that Zhang was client of this establishment... taking into consideration how he behaved disliked one.
Chanfeng was in Yangzhou with Yu. I guess nobody there likes zhang family any more than we do.

Think there was some changes here. Slight penalty i assume.
Bonuses. That's what I find strange.

I guess by this act we have reaffirmed that we aren't just a murderer, but were after manxing this whole time. Considering his reputation, BRO sects might have decided there was a reason for that.

Jester

Arbiter
There is a change in reputation scores.

Beggars' Sect: +15 (Neutral)
Emei Sect: -35 (Shunned)
Wudang Sect: -15 (Neutral)
Shaolin Temple: -25 (Shunned)
Qingcheng Sect: -50 (Disliked)
Kunlun Sect: -50 (Disliked)
Taishan Sect: -50 (Disliked)
Huashan Sect: -40 (Shunned)
Yuhua Hall: +5 (Neutral)
Imperial Court: -50 (Disliked)

Qingcheng Sect: -60 (Disliked)
Kunlun Sect: -60 (Disliked)
Taishan Sect: -60 (Disliked)
Huashan Sect: -75 (Hated)

Imperial Court: -60 (Disliked)

I owned Zhang not manly. - Jing

Emei, Yuhua, Wudang and Shaolin brofists that that.

IC, Kunlun, Taishan, Hushan and Beggars disapproves a bit.

Zhang Clan is :mob:.

Nevill

Arcane
I just can't wrap my head over Emei boost. Did manxing do something there as well? Wouldn't surprise me, but why then were they so disappointed with our previous attempt at his life? Yes, we asked them to speak on Lingshu's behalf right before a murder, which was pretty dickish, but still...

Jester

Arbiter
I just can't wrap my head over Emei boost. Did zhang do something there as well? Wouldn't surprise me, but why then were they so disappointed with our previous attempt at his life? Yes, we asked them to speak on Lingshu's behalf right before a murder, which was pretty dickish, but still...
Hmm if someone on Yuhua or Hushan twins said anything about what Zhang was like to women or if BJ occidentally told few people about certain drug he found on his corpse. I could see why bro ones would react that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Difference between here and Qingcheng:

Zhang's guards aren't that strong that you couldn't have defeated them without taking their lives. Emei, Shaolin and Wudang really didn't like the pointless killing.

Zhang claims to be strong, so obviously you can't defeat him easily without killing him, if we go by his own claims.

You were absconding with a bride in Qingcheng.

Here Bai has painted the situation as an honourable private duel-to-the-death between you and her, and Zhang came in to assault you over his own personal affairs, leading to the both of you tumbling over the cliff. You have the 'responsibility' of 'killing' him, so to speak, especially in the eyes of certain factions, but it's still rather grey. No one thinks Bai would have needed his help in the first place: there's a subtle element of 'he asked for it' in Bai's story.

Bai Jiutian is still influential enough with the younger generation that what she says carries some weight. She has had some of her friends in lower places begin spreading tales about Manxing. What he does with women is a major point in most of those tales.

Zhang Manxing's popularity comes from the Zhang clan's generosity. Certain sects have received plenty of this generosity. Others have not. This, combined with the stories, affects what they think about Zhang's supposed death at your hands.

Why didn't Bai do this before? She didn't have anyone to draw the heat off of her, if she tried such a stunt, and rumours work better when the subject is not around to rebut them with oodles of money. She was content with biding her time and being more careful, but since you gladly volunteered to be the scapegoat, she can act a bit more freely now.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Two Road-Side Meetings

You are on the road again. A lone man travelling with seven girls would attract no end of attention, and as such they have tried to disguise themselves to the best of their ability. With Qilin’s help, Yunzi, Armaiti and Lingshu could almost pass for men from a distance, but there was no helping the others. Still, no matter how you tried to hide it, a skilled master would be able to discern that something was off. You wonder just how Bai Jiutian had kept up the ruse for so long and so close to so many other master pugilists.

And just as you thought about it, you spotted her waiting for you and your entourage by the side of the deserted country road.

“Young Master Bai?” Song Lingshu’s voice is awkward and hesitant – what happened back at Qingcheng may still weigh on her.

“Miss Song, it is a pleasure to see you today,” Bai nods, in full gentleman mode. Her disguise is indeed impeccable. She holds up one hand and says, “I am not here to pick a fight. I merely have something to discuss with Xu Jing.”

“Are you sure about this?” whispers Yunzi as you make to dismount the carriage.

“Don’t worry. I’ve got it all under control.”

Hopping off, you walk towards Bai Jiutian.

“Alright, what is it, Tian’er?”

She scowls. “Do not call me by that name again. Out of the kindness of my heart, I have decided to share some information with you. Bear this in mind as you head east.”

You bob your head, waiting for her to continue.

“I found no trace of Zhang Manxing’s body at the bottom of the gorge, although I did manage to retrieve my sword. I reported that the both of you fell off in your battle and went missing. It would not do for him to reappear alive if I had previously confirmed him dead, so…”

“Yes, I understand. The Zhang family might still come after me to find out where Manxing is instead, if he doesn’t return to them,” you say. “We did agree on this, after all. I can have no complaints.”

“If he does return to them this deal will be the least of our problems, but I suspect it will not be that easy. That part of Mount Hua is treacherous and there are rumours a great beast has moved in recently. He should not be that blessed by the gods. Besides that, I have influenced certain people to begin talking about Zhang Manxing. Bad-mouthing the dead might not be a very honourable thing to do, but I do not think he deserves any. Furthermore, as much as Zhang Manlou cares for his brother, he and his family are a little more concerned with finding the manuals at the moment.”

“How is that going, then?”

“I discussed the matter with my shimu. Besides the fragment of the Jiuyin manual that I copied from under their noses, they should not have any of the full books yet.”

“Your shimu could be lying to you.”

“She could be,” says Bai, and the tone in her voice warns you not to go any further with this line of conversation. It appears to be a rather sensitive issue to her.

“Are you done yet, darling?” calls out Qilin impatiently from the driver’s seat.

“Just a second!” you respond.

Bai Jiutian shakes her head, clucking her tongue. “A grown man travelling the country with seven women. You are truly a scoundrel, Xu Jing.”

“Of course,” you smile, and clasp her hand tightly, twining your fingers with hers. “Good luck, Jiutian-xiong. I’ll let you know what I find out east.”

She is stunned for a moment. Then, with a sudden shout, Bai wrenches her hand away and slaps you across the cheek. “Y-y-you reprobate! This is no way for a gentleman to behave! I’ll remember this!” she shouts, storming away red-faced.

“He acts just like you, Yunzi,” laughs Qilin when you return to the carriage, the side of your face smarting from Bai's slap.

“What? I don’t behave like that at all!” replies Yunzi indignantly.

“Oh… could Xu Jing and Young Master Bai actually be…” Lingshu seems lost in her own thoughts, on the other hand, a blush creeping into her cheeks.

Shaking your head, you carry on, travelling towards the east.

You track down Xuxian’s path easily: the former Shaolin monk had been moving in a straightforward route from town to town, always towards the temple. It looks like he had been pursued all the way too, but he had constantly managed to defeat his pursuers, leaving them battered but not dead, and ready for another attempt.

Of course, he also left them behind in your path… and you were not anywhere near as merciful when they recognized and attacked you. In this way, you mopped up those after him step by step, without his knowledge.

Soon, you narrow the distance to just a village; you should be able to catch up with Xuxian just before he enters Luoyang.

Giving the horses and the carriage a rest, you take a break at a road-side inn. Your martial arts practice has been going well, and the girls are also improving steadily, no thanks in part to the fights they’ve been involved in on the way here.

“Excuse me?”

Someone interrupts your meal. Looking up, you see a couple in their mid-thirties. They are well-dressed, with refined looks. The man is dashing and the woman elegant.

They also appear to be people of the jianghu – their posture tells you that they bear no small measure of skill, and they are bearing swords.

“May I help you?” you ask.

“I was just wondering, my good sir – you are Xu Jing, the Man Tiger Pig, are you not?” asks the man.

“You’ve got the wrong person,” you smile.

“I’m afraid not. Though the description we were given was of a one-eyed youth travelling with seven girls, and there do not seem to be seven girls here… I think we have still found the right person,” says the woman.

“I am sure I know myself better than you do, sir. I am not Xu Jing,” you repeat. It would be easier to avoid trouble if possible, and you sense that what is coming up next is nothing but trouble.

Of course, you also know that it is not going to be so easy. “Perhaps before you demand my identity, you should introduce yourself,” you shoot back.

“My apologies,” the man bows. “I am Zuo Qingfeng, and this is my wife, You Lanhai.”

“It is a pleasure to meet you,” the woman says as she too bows in greeting.

“It is unfortunate that our paths are to cross in such a manner, Xu Jing, but I am afraid I must take your head with me,” says Zuo Qingfeng.

“Only if you are sure you have the right head,” you laugh. “Even so, why are you so keen on taking the head of Xu Jing?”

“We have our… difficulties,” says You Lanhai regretfully. “We only have business with you… please ask your friends to stay out of this if they do not want to get hurt.” She casts an imploring look at Yunzi, who seems to be preparing for a fight.

Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai… the names of these two are known to you; the swords at their side must be the famous twin swords, Gan Jiang and Mo Ye. You have heard that they were living in seclusion, far from the troubles of the jianghu, and wonder just why they are attempting to kill you all of a sudden, but it looks like you will not be able to find out any more with just words. Their killing intent is becoming clear; you think you would be able to draw more information out of them in a fight... if you would risk it.

Cao’er tugs at your sleeve and nods. She seems prepared to hurl some needles at the couple.

A. You accept the request for a duel; you will bring this outside and take them on by yourself. They are after you alone, and you are also somewhat confident you can at least match them without any assistance.
  1. You take the opportunity to practice your Wuxiang Qiankun alone against a duo known for fighting in tandem.
  2. You don’t use Wuxiang Qiankun; you don’t think you need to.
B. You accept the request for a duel but ask to fight in pairs – it is only fair. You pick one of the girls to fight with you. Seeing the sword-using couple, you’re feeling tempted to try having someone close by your side during a fight too.
  1. Qilin
  2. Cao’er
  3. Yifang
  4. Song Lingshu
  5. Xuezi
  6. Yunzi
  7. Armaiti
C. You have Cao’er throw the needles at them to create a distraction and attempt to take them down inside the inn itself. You don’t feel like fighting fairly here; you’ll just have to defeat them as quickly as possible with whatever means you have.

D. You have Cao’er throw the needles to create a distraction, and take the chance to make a run for it. They don’t seem to be very willing to fight – perhaps they will not be so motivated to give chase if you escape them here.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A2 for now. Could be the Zhang-bangers have some hold on these two, if that's the case, i'd rather help them get out of it.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I am leaning towards A1 for increasing WQS or B6 for Yunzi points. I have a feeling that they will continue after us if we run and fighting here puts innocents and our harem at risk.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I am not too confident fighting them alone WQS or no.

The only person in our party that has experience fighting with us is Yunzi and You Lanhai doesn't seem to want hurt her. However they seem to be very high level sword users and Yunzi has only decent sword skill, then again she might be quick enough to make it a brawl.

I am torn between Yifang, Linghsu and Armaiti.

Yifang is bloody good with that sword.
Miss Song seems to have nice techniques againsts anyone having weapons and she could further built her reputation as fighter.
Armaiti has nice saber skills and seems to be at laest second strongest party member, if not strongest.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom