Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Esquilax

Arcane
This is some serious paranoia, dude. Jixuan Wuni isn't Shulgi.

Nobody said he was. Because he's obviously Theseus anyways.

We aren't exactly a trustworthy person. What reason he has to trust us? We gave him a few pointers in martial arts but I don't think that alone is going to be enough to offset those rumors.

Why would you give your opponent tips on martial arts so that he can beat you? Wuni knows that we're his ticket to getting the Princess' hand in marriage without her losing her station.

Kipeci

Arcane
The Tibetan king would grant her something if such a figure won the tournament, though probably not marriage. If Yunzi is allowed to make some alterations, why should such an unlikely winner not get anything from a victory? It would make the king look rather stingy and awful in front of so many subjects.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
It all comes down to trust and Jing doesn't have the reputation of being a trustworthy person. We really shouldn't trust him blindly when it is unsure if he trusts us.

Absinthe

Arcane
TOME, I still think if he is going to "backstab" us then he would do it when we've already taken care of the other big threats, at which point we've done what we set out to do anyway.

Also, I think C1 takes the priority over B here. If we don't go with C or D then Jixuan Wuni will most likely lose. As for B, we can kick his ass next.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
And if we go with C or D then what? Instead of 1 vs 2 it will be 2 vs 5. If we take out the brothers what will Wuni do next? Go after Xuxian or Jiu Mou? He will have to hold his ground anyway, he will not sit idle while we finish off the others. Him fighting the weakest two is actually a good outcome in our situation. Had he gone after anyone else then we would certainly have to step in and help him, but now we can focus on our own enemies and try not to get killed in the process.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I'll make mine a conditional vote it's CE2 > GB2

That guy had a death sentence on his head since before this update.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Re: the prince and Yunzi, wasn't it stated in a straightforward manner? If you want her to consider you someone worthy of marriage, defeat her in a fight personally. That's all there is to it.

Nothing you haven't already accomplished anyway.

Baltika9

Arcane
:(
Damn. We are a disgrace to our Master's beard.
Nothing you haven't already accomplished anyway.
So say Tenzin wins this fight, does that mean we can call him out since we both have 'rights' to marry her?

Not that I'm expecting Qilin and Cao'er to let Number Three lose without interfering.
Something tells me they want her more than Jing. :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If he manages to win, yeah, he'll still have to get past you if you decide to interfere and assert your right as another 'suitor'. Once he accepted this system it was something of a given, though he may not realize it yet.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ERYFKRAD - D, E1
Nevill - G, B2
Smashing Axe - B>G, A2 > C2 > B2 > E2 > D2
Zero Credibility - G, A2 > B2
Baltika9 - G, B2
asxetos - G, B2
Anabanana - G, B2
Esquilax - G, B2
Rex Feral - C > G, E2 > B2
Jester - G, C1
Azira - G, B2
Elfberserker - A, B2
profreshinal - D, A1
Lambchop19 - G, E2
Kipeci - G, D2
Absinthe - G, C1
TOME - E, B2 > E2
ScubaV - G, B2
Grimgravy - G, C1
Fangshi - G, B2

Current tally:

Technique -
A - 1
B - 1
C - 1
D - 2
E - 1
G - 14

Target -
A1 - 1
A2 - 2
B2 - 10
C1 - 3
D2 - 1
E1 - 1
E2 - 2

Votes close in 8 hours.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
Well, I probably won't get a vote in in time, but it doesn't look like one vote would change anything at this stage.

kazgar

Arcane
Feels like B's voting with our heart and not our head and we may end up getting smacked in the face with a staff.

If people are agreeing he's all bluster, wasting the most effort and energy on a weak opponent may be foolhardy in the long run.

Baltika9

Arcane
Feels like B's voting with our heart and not our head and we may end up getting smacked in the face with a staff.

If people are agreeing he's all bluster, wasting the most effort and energy on a weak opponent may be foolhardy in the long run.
No, not really.
Sorry, Esquilax, but I do not grasp your logic.

You say that if we take out zhang manxing, there still will be two fighters left, and those are dangerous. Right. But if we take on those fighters, then it would be zhand manxing who will be left in the game. The reason why I want to take him out was stated already - I suspect that the man will employ an underhanded tactic we might not see coming. The man already deals with drugs, why not poisons?

Furthermore, you dismiss the girl as a fighter, but you never ask yourself - if she is a lousy fighter, why is she here? What for? If you know her master is a ruthless bastard with not a grain of conscience left in him, you have to suspect the worst. She is really easy to ignore due to how out of place she seems, but would that really be wise?

Next, you talk about the alliance, and how taking manxing out would spell our doom... why exactly? If we take him down, the brothers will pile on Wuni, and we will only be left face-to-face with the bandit. There will be no alliance anymore, everyone will be left to their own devices. I can't see it as a bad thing.

If you take one of the brothers out, however, there would still be 3 or 4 fighters aiming at your throat. It improves Wuni's chances, sure, but it does not help your chances any - and you are in a far greater danger than he is.

Besides, seeing how the monk and the beggar do not like dogpiling, one of them may provide support to Wuni and take on one of the brothers just to make things fair.

Forget about Wuni for a second, you can not hope to watch his back and yours simultaneously with just one eye. Once Yunzi came into picture, other ways of achieving our goal became available. You can get her to win the tournament and still marry Rinchen to Wuni afterwards.

I want to get rid of zhang because I see him as the biggest threat that currently has his eyes on you. The bandit is predictable, the brothers are predictable, but he is not. I do not want to leave him for later.
Furthermore, we are a beast at actual martial arts and fighting, the only things that can screw us over at this point are either fatigue or someone pulling a dirty trick on us.
zhang the inferior seems exactly like the type to pull off the latter.

Esquilax

Arcane
It all comes down to trust and Jing doesn't have the reputation of being a trustworthy person. We really shouldn't trust him blindly.

If we don't trust one another, then we'll both definitely lose. United we stand, or divided we fall. Really, there's no path to victory in this circumstance unless the two of us take that leap of faith and have 100% trust in one another.

Furthermore, we are a beast at actual martial arts and fighting, the only things that can screw us over at this point are either fatigue or someone pulling a dirty trick on us.
zhang the inferior seems exactly like the type to pull off the latter.

On the other hand, it also seems to me that this little alliance didn't suspect that we'd also arrange an alliance of our own with Jixuan Wuni:

Before they can get to you, Jixuan Wuni blindsides Langtsu Maide, knocking down the Tibetan officer while he is too preoccupied with your presence.

The last thing that this group expected was someone working together with an insane hothead like the Southern Maniac's disciple. That probably threw them off quite a bit, and I think that we really ought to invest in keeping our one valuable, known resource (Jixuan Wuni) around to help us then speculating on zhang the inferior's plans. He certainly could be planning something and I think that Nevill's theory that the servant might be an ex-Wunan member or has some poisoning abilities could indeed be correct, but maybe we could mitigate that far better if we have Jixuan Wuni to watch our back rather than running the risk of having him double-teamed by the two Tibetan officer brothers. The latter could be far worse.

The truth is, given the circumstances, we need him almost as badly as he needs us. If we don't work as a team and look out for each other, we are fucked.

Baltika9

Arcane
But if we don't look after ourselves, we are fucked anyway. Failing on the individual level will destroy this team as surely as failing on the team level.
Kuanglang step gives the guy enough defensive abilities to stay alive while we deal with the ringleader, zhang the inferior, even if both brothers come against him (not sure if they will work too well together, though, they are after the princess as well). Fact of the matter is, 1v2 and 1v2 (and a half) is much better odds than 2v5, divide and conquer.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The last thing that this group expected was someone working together with an insane hothead like the Southern Maniac's disciple.

Not sure Jing can lay claim to that on this stage when you have:

Pang Xiaohu, the Little Tiger who is swinging around an axe in each hand and laughing maniacally
:lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, now we are just obligated to kill someone in the most painful and humiliating way possible. I propose that we cave in Manlou's skull, tear of his testicles and put then in the small nest we created. Let him wear them as a crown.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Re: the prince and Yunzi, wasn't it stated in a straightforward manner? If you want her to consider you someone worthy of marriage, defeat her in a fight personally. That's all there is to it.
Well, this part is somewhat clear, and we knew that was the custom of her people.

What is unclear though, is what these two are doing now. Yunzi said that if she wins the competition, she will take the girl with her. Now, is their competition separate from the tournament? If it is, what happens with the tournament if Yunzi wins and takes the main prize away? If not, is the prince expected to win the tournament now?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If she wins she takes the princess. All the other suitors might go home empty-handed. Or the prince might decide to put up the youngest sister as the backup prize.

If the prince just so happens to be the last one standing? Well, who knows what he'll do? He's the ruler of the city after all, so whatever he says goes with regards to the marriage. He might cancel it, call for another tournament, select the runner-up, etc. He has shown that he is a rather whimsical sort.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So there are, essentially, two separate competitions, but we can make them one if we so choose?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom