Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, we are going for the win, and there is no need to refuse the princess' hand. They are not going to marry you to her on the spot.

To hell with the prince. We will compete. Why do you even need a lower profile? How else are you going to close the distance between you and the royalty you've come to investigate?

I think 1A2 would benefit us better. Not entirely sure about the second choice, though another 2A2 seems good.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
We could get as much experience as possible and then take a dive or surrender in the finals, I guess. That's likely to make us really unpopular, though.

Not if it looks convincing. There have been lots of fixed fights in the history of boxing and even MMA too - it's not like the audience suddenly knew what was up and started rioting. Most of the time they were fooled.

Kipeci

Arcane
A3 B.

Register properly, and then we won't have to use skullduggery to enter the preliminary thing.

Nevill

Arcane
Register properly, and then we won't have to use skullduggery to enter the preliminary thing.
My understanding is that if you register (go 1A), you do not need 2B at all:
B. Entry to the celebration appears to be limited to the upper-class of the city as well as the registered participants. If you have registered, you should be able to enter normally, bringing along Cao’er and Qilin as your companions, but should you have decided not to register, you will have to find a way to obtain an invitation.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Pick a B option anyway. If the first A wins, you'll go normally, if not, you'll take it from someone so you can walk in normally.

An invitation doesn't get you a spot in an exhibition match. None of the contestants are supposed to be participating for fairness sake, though the prince neglected to actually lay down any rules about that.

Kipeci

Arcane
We need to indicate B to be sure that Jing attends the pre-tournament matched instead of one of the other options around.

I'll go with A3 B1, then, treave. Though I'm willing to flop to any winning combination of AxBx.

Nevill

Arcane
B A3, though I might be willing to flop. Competition does sound fun, and not being on the receiving end of an ass-kicking for the first time in two years would also be neat.
I am not sure that it is wise to go 2A3. See, you'll be stealing someone's identity to do it:
Cao’er and Qilin should be able to whip up something that leaves a participant incapacitated, allowing you to sneakily take his place.
But anyone who participates in the competition can be there:
Entry to the celebration appears to be limited to the upper-class of the city as well as the registered participants.
You might have guessed what I am leading to:
It looks like a fair number of Eight Sects’ disciples are also present, perhaps seeking glory and power of their own, though none of them are names that you recognize. They would probably recognize you rather quickly, however.
So I'd rather have a mask, and not a pig's one. We need to widen our animalistic theme.

We need to indicate B to be sure that Jing attends the pre-tournament matched instead of one of the other options around.
treave, what are we going to do in AxBx and how are we going to appear there? Cloaked?

Are we planning on Yunzi noticing us?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Openly, all dressed up nicely like you belong there, and talk your way past any questions. You can't go in like a hobo.

Nevill

Arcane
Openly, all dressed up nicely like you belong there, and talk your way past any questions. You can't go in like a hobo.
So anyone attentive enough can recognize us? Be it Yunzi, or the Eight Sects?

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, then I am going with A2 A2, and with some sort of '-less' name. Nameless-shameless, something like that.

Shameless, then. I like the sound of 'Shameless Wolf Man Tiger Pig '. :P

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, you're free to suggest alternative pseudonyms here, most popular one will get the pick.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
A2-B

We should call ourselves Pig-Tiger-Man this time, put a bushy mustache over a pig mask and speak with a thick Russian accent, vehemently denying that we are the same person.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
BD>A2A2

I think I go with collect information now, since it isn't Yunzi being married. We have no rush to talk with her now. I must admit that testing ourselves against eight sects is very appealing and we can lose on purpose, if we do not want to marry the princess.

Tribute

Arbiter
or you could just not give a shit about their pride in finest School of Zhang tradition and leave without claiming your prize once you've done what you wanted. That's a huge insult though. Massive.
Can we state outright in the first match or so that we're not interested in the princess if we win, we just want to test our skills? Or would that still be an insult?

I would think that would spur the ones who actually do want her hand to fight harder.

Nevill

Arcane
As for throwing a match, that's an option, or you could do it discreetly, or you could just not give a shit about their pride in finest School of Zhang tradition and leave without claiming your prize once you've done what you wanted. That's a huge insult though. Massive.
What is the supposed follow-up to the betrothal? When will be the actual marriage?

I am not against playing nicely for a while, but I am not too overly concerned about being there when it is time for marriage. Why concern ourselves with diplomacy when we suspect the prince is already preparing for an invasion?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Can we state outright in the first match or so that we're not interested in the princess if we win, we just want to test our skills? Or would that still be an insult?

I would think that would spur the ones who actually do want her hand to fight harder.

Good way to get banished from the city immediately before you have a chance to make further mockery of the event.

What is the supposed follow-up to the betrothal? When will be the actual marriage?

Marriage preparations will take another couple days after the tournament ends.

Tribute

Arbiter
I get the feeling we either don't want to join this tourney, or we want to throw the last fight. I can't see us getting out of this marriage thing without massively insulting people if we win.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm really torn on this one, bros. On the one hand, yeah, we're here for Yunzi's hand, not some Turfag princess, and yes, Nevill, we will have to marry her if we win. And not causing diplomatic incidents while we're here would also be pretty good for Shun. And something tells me that someone from the constabulary is around too, no way Shun ignored our warning and didn't send an agent here so B is the "smart" decision as far as I'm concerned.
But on the other,
A. You register in the competition. You’ll decide what to do when you win, though you really aren’t keen on marrying any princesses. Being a competitor might get you access to various sources of information that you would not find otherwise… but truthfully, you just really want to test your skills against someone who is not Master Zhang.
That sounds pretty good too.
As for throwing a match, that's an option, or you could do it discreetly, or you could just not give a shit about their pride in finest School of Zhang tradition and leave without claiming your prize once you've done what you wanted. That's a huge insult though. Massive.
treave, two questions:
How hot is the Turfag princess, on a scale from 1-10?
How much influence in the Turfag Court would this marriage give us? Would it, say, place us in the line of succession if we "Crusader Kings 2" our competitors?

Fangshi

Arcane
As far as the tournament goes it may be better not to enter this one. If we are here primarily for Yunzi and to work as Shun's agent then it would be better to focus on that. I am torn between fighting in the tournament and doing cool spy stuff, but I think this time espionage wins out if only for the simple reason that I can not see Codex throwing a fight. This will be just like the YTT, everyone will talk a good game about dropping out and the like but when push comes to shove we will go for the win and I doubt we will just be able to take our new wife and leave afterwards so...

B

With the second choice I am inclined to go something like B3, no sense drawing too much attention to ourselves though there is the concern that someone may recognize us I guess. Alternatively C could be hilarious, just show up on her balcony in the middle of the night all casual like, "What you invited me, right?"

1.B>A3 2.C>B3>A3

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
Alternately if we don't want to do the whole marriage thing we can sneak in and talk to the princess before the tourney, have her pick her favourite suitor, and do our best to ensure that guy wins. Or just win the whole thing ourselves and then let her pick, if we can find a way to do that that wouldn't be insulting.

If she picks us, then, well, we have a new wife.

Nevill

Arcane
On the one hand, yeah, we're here for Yunzi's hand, not some Turfag princess, and yes, Nevill, we will have to marry her if we win. And not causing diplomatic incidents while we're here would also be pretty good for Shun.
Don't see anythong wrong with that either. As far as the sources of information go, the word of royalty beats the rumors on the streets.

Also, I like the Tribute's idea above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom