Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ahahahaha! Serves him right. Maybe C is worth considering then. I will think on this...
I would consider C myself if it promised us a clear and definitive answer of what would be required to help these people. I do not want Yunzi spending her whole life with them out of duty. It would be fine if that was what makes her happy or if it really was what she wanted from life all along, but looking at her arranged marriage with the Fire Lord, this comes off as self-sacrifice, and that is not okay in my book, not if we can help it.

But last time we tried asking questions about the Cult, she brushed us off because we were 'not one of them'. I am not going to take chances if this might happen here as well.

Esquilax

Arcane
I would consider C myself if it promised us a clear and definitive answer of what would be required to help these people. I do not want Yunzi spending her whole life with them out of duty. It would be fine if that was what makes her happy or if it really was what she wanted from life all along, but looking at her arranged marriage with the Fire Lord, this comes off as self-sacrifice, and that is not okay in my book, not if we can help it.

You can't live someone else's life for them.

Nevill

Arcane
As I said, a choice under pressure isn't worth much.

If that isn't what she really wants to do, we must find a way to lift that pressure so that she could choose freely. That is what friends do.

Tigranes said:
We still don't know exactly what they're all about, but the interactions of the last few updates suggest to me that she is a holy maiden only insofar as she is the destined bride of Ahura, rather than being some sort of Divine Figure
Also, not sure about sending her back to her paralytic 'groom', if she is subservient to him.

Fangshi

Arcane
Okay I see little point in trying to "game" Yunzi's emotions to achieve maximum Yunzi points. So I will just put Yunzi to one side and not consider her as a factor here.

Now ideally I do not want to see the Cult wiped out, frankly the GFF is a dick but they do not all deserve to suffer for it. It is doubtful that the Cult has the resources to make it on their own or they would be unlikely to attack the Sects in the first place so it seems unlikely that the Cult's leaders will be able to achieve much on their own with or without their Holy Maiden.

We do know people that can help though. The Wudu would do it for profit, Shun might be convinced to do it out of friendship and to grant him another tool to stabilize his regime with. I think those are our best two leads honestly. So why not keep Yunzi and take her to see Shun or negotiate some sort of trade with the Wudu to stabilize their situation. Seems to me that right now we have the necessary people to do something concrete to help the Cult survive.

Now ideally I would suggest going with her to better negotiate a deal, she would be more open to help if we did not hold her against her will and I still want to know about the Cult. Hopefully the Temple Lord dies and she takes control, if not we may still be able to negotiate with the man now that he has been permanently humbled. Now we would still be risking our life and Quilin and Cao'er's safety but I think it would be worth the risk to try and secure another ally. So if it is possible I would go with option D, take Yunzi back to her people but offer to go with her and use our Wudu and Imperial connections to try and save these people (no idea if this is possible though).

Barring that, letting her go would definitely improve her opinion of us but does little to actually help her achieve her stated goal so I am not really interested in C. B gives me a kind of creepy, possessive vibe but may also be the most sound move as it would get the people we need out of danger quickly and we did behave in a similar manner when Chanfeng wanted to do something noble but pointless. A might be useful in that if we can successfully make a case to spare Yunzi and the rest of the Cult it could be the first tiny step towards peace though that would have to come later.

So...
D>A>B, I guess

Edit:
C hopefully with a chance to help after we walk her home.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Yes, this is exactly what I would like to see. Let us help you already, woman!

So, flop to D>A, if D is acceptable.

ScubaV

Prophet
Yes, this is exactly what I would like to see. Let us help you already, woman!

So, flop to D>A, if D is acceptable.

This is the problem with this kind of reasoning. It's a well known phenomenon that women generally want men to listen and try to understand their problems rather than fix them. Maybe A or B is better for Yunzi in the long run, maybe not, but she doesn't care. If you want Yunzi points, or if you simply think that Jing should be a good friend to her then you have to pick C. If you have other reasons for A or B, then by all means go ahead.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

Anabanana

Augur
Eh, that particular train of thought seems irrelevant to the current situation. I'd rather put it this way: It's admirable to want to help your friends, but in this case, you're invalidating Yunzi's own agency because you think you know better than her what's best for her, which may or may not be the case. We don't know. We don't have enough information. Get it? She is more informed about the situation than we are; let's not assume that she needs us to take charge and save the day, or that she hasn't considered the things that we are considering. Are you trying to help Yunzi here, or the Fire Cult? Since the choice is framed in terms of Yunzi's immediate personal safety and Jing's relationship to her, I can't help but feel that we're overreaching with the whole LET'S CHARGE IN LIKE A BIG DAMN HERO AND SAVE THE DAY AND BRING PEACE TO THE WORLD thing. The situation could change completely depending on what happens next, you realize.

Nevill

Arcane
I'd rather put it this way: It's admirable to want to help your friends, but in this case, you're invalidating Yunzi's own agency because you think you know better than her what's best for her, which may or may not be the case. We don't know. We don't have enough information.
Which is why the choice I am voting for is the one that gets us this information, one way or the other.

One more time - I will be fine with C as long as she actually tells us what their deal is. Unless that is guaranteed, I am voting A (or D), where she'll have to.

Esquilax

Arcane
Which is why the choice I am voting for is the one that gets us this information, one way or the other.

One more time - I will be fine with C as long as she actually tell us what their deal is. Unless that is guaranteed, I am voting A, where she'll have to.

Can we really have motives other than INFURMATIONZ here? How would knowing why Yunzi is involved with the Fire Cult help us in this particular situation? Why do we need to find that out exactly at this moment right now? I'm not seeing the urgency here, other than the fact that you seem frustrated and want a loredump. IMO, this would come at the expense of making the situation even worse, so why not simply release her to the Fire Cult, who have been defeated soundly at this point anyways? Keeping her here against her will in A seems like a pretty shitty thing to do.

Nevill

Arcane
How would knowing why Yunzi is involved with the Fire Cult help us in this particular situation?
:hmmm:

I don't really care.

What I care about is how do I make them comfortable enough so that Yunzi would forget about 'helping them', 'saving them' and other self-sacrificial nonsense.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Flopping to C.

We really don't have any clout with Orthodox sect and to me Firecult seems to be bit Wildcard for now. Their leader is crippled and Yunzi is their holy maiden, but we really don't know if it's just because she was to marry the firelord or something else. There is at
least three or more firecult members who could challenge Yunzi for leadership role based on their martial art abilities, but we really don't know how the firecult functions.

Personally I am just happy that we got Qilin away from that mess.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't really care.

What I care about is how do I make them comfortable enough so that Yunzi would forget about 'helping them', 'saving them' and other self-sacrificial nonsense.

Okay, but that's sort of like saying that you want Jing to forget about notions like helping people that we're close to (i.e. Guo Fu, Yu, Qilin, etc.) when that's an integral part of her character. She probably doesn't care much for the Ahura Mazda because he's a dickhead, but you aren't really ever going to convince her not to help the downtrodden people in the Fire Cult, like those handmaidens that we saved. It's just who she is and it's as much a part of her as YOLOTIGERing is to Jing.

Nevill

Arcane
Which is why I said 'how do I make them comfortable enough'. They can't be downtrodden if they are doing well, can they? What do we need to do so that Yunzi would stop going 'I must save them! I must protect them! They will all die without me!!'? That is not a normal state of affairs if their well-being depends on a single person, is it?

And yes, I don't see anything wrong with Jing not helping people he is close to if these people do not need help to begin with.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Am I the only one here that thinks something bad is going to happen like the Fire Lord exploding or "Wang" going berserk and murdering everyone?

Really I don't even think it will come down to a choice about what to do with Yunzi.

I am more expecting things to go like

A. We keep Yunzi with us. Shit happens, we aren't far away enough, someone dies.
C. We let Yunzi go. Shit happens, Yunzi dies in front of us because she is closer to "Wang" and the Fire Lord.

But whatever, I hope I'm wrong and the next update is a discuss about what to do with the fire cult.

B>C

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
...well, fuck.

What if the reason Wang (if it is even him) separated everyone into "orthodox" and "fire cult" precisely because he's going to go berserk and destroy everyone on the cult side or something?

Kipeci

Arcane
B>C

The head of Huashan along with many others here have a bad relationship with us. Now that we've survived that match, let's try not getting skewered by them.

Baltika9

Arcane
...well, fuck.

What if the reason Wang (if it is even him) separated everyone into "orthodox" and "fire cult" precisely because he's going to go berserk and destroy everyone on the cult side or something?
But then, if Jing is the only one with the ability to absorb neiggong and his chaotic qi that matches that of Ahura's, wouldn't it be better if we were on the Fire Cult's side to save them by sucking out Ahura's qi?

VOTE C FOR +10 NEIGGONG, BROS!
Edit: this is a joke.

Nevill

Arcane
YOU'LL GET YUNZI KILLED WITH C, BROS!

Listen to the old Taoist! Do not disturb the Harmony! Vote A!
Edit: Damn. And here I thought we were going to do it all over again. :(

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Am I the only one here that thinks something bad is going to happen like the Fire Lord exploding or "Wang" going berserk and murdering everyone?

Really I don't even think it will come down to a choice about what to do with Yunzi.

I am more expecting things to go like

A. We keep Yunzi with us. Shit happens, we aren't far away enough, someone dies.
C. We let Yunzi go. Shit happens, Yunzi dies in front of us because she is closer to "Wang" and the Fire Lord.

But whatever, I hope I'm wrong and the next update is a discuss about what to do with the fire cult.

B>C

...well, fuck.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

B>A Now. Full speed toward safety...Well relatively safety.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Hell if I know what's going on, but that whole scene is fishy, even the Sword Saint comments on it.

Wang appears out of nowhere, teleports everyone to their places, effortlessly beats up Ahura Mazda and his Amesha Spenta single-handedly in less than 10 seconds, whereas before he fought alongside 6 other masters and couldn't beat them. All this using an unusual technique that one shots the Fire Lord and that the Sword Saint comments should be impossible.

Also what's with the trigrams on the ground? Why is Wang acting strange, prompting the Sword Saint to worriedly run towards him ? where are the other sect leaders? Where's Fangzhang?

I'm half expecting Wang (if it really is him) to blow up now, after his insane use of qi.

I'm not voting B on the premise of fuck Fire Cult, fuck the eight sects, be an abusive boyfriend. I'm voting B so we can get the fuck out of here.

Kipeci

Arcane
I think it was the Grand Taoist's voice that spoke to us when he said that we should be shown what portion of 'the answer' that we'd inspired. So this unusual move from him is apparently based off of his meditations on Jing's bizaare qi? I wonder if that means that we could one day pull off that move... it seems like a fairly unorthodox one, to be sure.

Nevill

Arcane
Rex Feral said:
Also what's with the trigrams on the ground? Why is Wang acting strange, prompting the Sword Saint to worriedly run towards him?
ITZ happening!
I was told that it was for the good of the country. That the flow of the ley lines needed to be disturbed by a terrible calamity to bring about fortune and prosperity. I was willing to take on that role. But not like this.
It is all a plan by Mao Sanjiao to obtain immortality.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hell if I know what's going on, but that whole scene is fishy, even the Sword Saint comments on it.

Wang appears out of nowhere, teleports everyone to their places, effortlessly beats up Ahura Mazda and his Amesha Spenta single-handedly in less than 10 seconds, whereas before he fought alongside 6 other masters and couldn't beat them. All this using an unusual technique that one shots the Fire Lord and that the Sword Saint comments should be impossible.

Also what's with the trigrams on the ground? Why is Wang acting strange, prompting the Sword Saint to worriedly run towards him ?

I'm half expecting Wang (if it really is him) to blow up now, after his insane use of qi.

I'm not voting B on the premise of fuck Fire Cult, fuck the eight sects, be an abusive boyfriend. I'm voting B so we can get the fuck out of here.
:lol: Fair enough. But I think that the reason Shagguan is so worried is that Wang isn't about to go crazy or blow anyone up, but because this was an extremely exhausting couple of moves that left him drained. Old dude just may die of exertion and old age right now.

As for Wang beating everyone effortlessly, the Ameshas are exhausted and pretty banged up, so is Ahura. That gives him the edge.

Rex Feral

Prophet
If I'd see an old man about to collapse from exhaustion the last thing I'd say is "Something is not right". Besides, Wang is just staying there, unmoving. He's not falling down or anything.

Also why would Jing have a bad feeling about Wang dying of over exerting himself? We thought him dead up till now and there's nothing unusual with someone using more force than he can control and biting the dust afterwards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom