Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tigranes

Arcane
Nnnnnnnnnng.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Now I'll never get to write this scene: :(

Jing is sitting around with a Beggarbro, sharing wine and eating chicken. Another Beggarbro saunters in casually, a dirty piece of cloth in his hand.

"Yo, Beggarbro," says Jing. Beggarbro says yo in return. He's bringing the latest news from BSN, the Beggar Social Network. "Got what I asked for?"

"Of course, my Beggarfriend," says the Beggarbro. "List of the most powerful fighters in this region, orthodox or unorthodox, all right here. Took us sometime to get it done but it was fun anyway."

"Excellent, Beggarbro. Knew I could count on you."

"Indubitably, Beggarfriend."

Then the three of them drunken fist-fight till the next morning.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh hey, look, we're gonna fail, they're gonna wanna kill us, we're gonna beat some, steal a sword and run. Yao will laugh so much at the epic fail that he'll consider the debt repaid. So that's one good thing coming out of it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Faithlessness upon faithlessness! While this makes it harder for Xing to track down new masters, this path will force him to develop some personal resourcefulness and contacts. Besides, we never know, this school may rise to greatness in the future, I bet they will be valuable then. And we are saving a life just by going there, so that's something too. The side quest may have neat bonuses attached as well, if we navigate it correctly.

Esquilax

Arcane
In another universe...

edit: Closed. A wins.

By the way, the swordsmen are noted for their strict adherence to honor codes, so saving the life of their leader makes you an honorary member and gives a huge boost in reputation with the Huashan sect. You'd also get the Songfeng academy's signature technique and the chance to learn from some of the best swordsmen in China, giving you an alternative to a crazy old man who lives in the woods.

Well, no matter. In compensation, you'll get a few bums as contacts that you might be able to call upon from time to time.

The trap is sprung! :troll:

Esquilax

Arcane
Well, you may believe what you want to believe... :lol:

Haha, perhaps A was the better option, sure. My point is that there are going to be trade-offs with anything. Maybe we were short-sighted here, but there's always going to be an element of missing out on something with this sort of thing. But yeah, it does seem like the Beggars were a better long-term bet that would have helped us a lot.

Hopefully we can remedy this somehow.

Kipeci

Arcane
Well, maybe we aren't that doomed in sword stuff... I guess I was being a bit melodramatic there. A single year shouldn't have forever killed our chances to become the best swordsman of all time, right?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, Baltika9, Baltika9 why hast thou forsaken us?

I wake up, hoping to chime in with one last post before going to work, and find the voting has been closed. And it has not even been a day!

Me mad. :mad:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, maybe we aren't that doomed in sword stuff... I guess I was being a bit melodramatic there. A single year shouldn't have forever killed our chances to become the best swordsman of all time, right?
Certainly won't hurt our odds of being the Khan.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:rage:

Nooooooooo.

Stay tuned for a roll of the dice. Again heaven shall decide.

1 - 3 : Beggar
4 - 6 : Songfeng

Nevill

Arcane
Why roll the dice? Let us vote normally, for once. :)

I mean, Baltika9 flopped at the very end. Had we had a bit more time (I liked the schedule when we get a full day to vote - not everyone lives in the same timezone), we might have come to an agreement.

Of course, now that we know where the choices lead, it would be hard to have a fair voting session. Which is why I am strongly opposed to metagame.

treave said:
Again heaven shall decide.
We are going to end with a wierdest character on our hands.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Fair enough. Perhaps we can let Tigranes cast the deciding vote. I'm locking everything else and trusting that he'll do the right thing and vote wisely.

Baltika9

Arcane
Think of the Honourblade, Tigranes, of the asskickings yet to be unleashed. Cutting kicks and cutting blades, our body will be a sword! Succumb to the glory of B!

Nevill

Arcane
The true master only needs his fists.

We have our legs for blades anyway.

Esquilax

Arcane
The true master only needs his fists.

We have our legs for blades anyway.

... And our arms for the sword. If we have the agility, coordination and smarts to devise a technique that combines these two, it'll be fucking brutal. An unorthodox kicking technique melded together with an orthodox sword technique - can we pull it off?

I'd love to mix kicks along with sword-slashes.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
... And our arms for the sword. If we have the agility, coordination and smarts to devise a technique that combines these two...
... Or if we have a contact with someone who've already mastered such a technique in our pocket...

Tigranes

Arcane
Since it's not fair to overanalyse treave's post-tally comments when I cast the deciding vote, I went back to his original update.

Firstly, what challenges do we face with our immediate task? With the beggars, it will be persuading everyone that the beggar is innocent - or, figuring out what to do if our autopsy condemns him. Some detective work to come, perhaps. With the sword school, I imagine the primary issue will be whether to enforce the death-price and who the target is. The beggar story sounds much more interesting - point for A.

Secondly, what benefits can we expect?
I don't think we can overanalyse here - a sword school is just as likely as beggars to know about the mystery woman one way or another. Orthodox doesn't mean completely blind. I suppose that with the beggars we can expect greater freedom of choice in training, if we want to diversify even more, and if we want to find some other way of fixing our qi or breaking our debt of service. In fact, the good doctor is pretty entertaining and has given us no reason to try and get out of it quite yet; and as someone who voted for the Wudang sect, I'm still of a mind that if we picked Tiger Adjutant we should build someone based on melee asskickery supplemented by qinggong, and now (apparently) some social skills. Kicking and slashing sounds cool enough to me over some fantastical dreams of drunken fist finger pointing whatnot. Thus I see some training and equipment in combat, finally, as very important - point for B.

Finally, what moral or in-character reasons exist?
I think Jing, as shown in the Yunzi episode, is someone that wouldn't be comfortable with basically indirectly letting master go kill someone. I think he would, with no powerfully apparent reason to choose beggars, choose the sword sect. Of course, we can use this opportunity to start redefining his moral fibre, but I don't want him to go Dio that much or this early. (Besides, the much more interesting form of moral corruption is if we go and make the girl enforce the same price as the master... basically making the sect owe us personally a debt of a kill.) I think it has to be a point for B. (Also, I want some storydump of what these places are like.)

Perhaps it is for the best, then? B. It seems that in the end, there were no consequences...

:troll:

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, well. I hope treave is happy enough with not having to rewrite an update that he'll toss in an extra reward. ;)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom