Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Money will suffice, generally. Better keep an eye on that condom business.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Why weren't we offered the acupuncture technique Qilin used? Or is that too much to ask for?

Tribute

Arbiter
It's probably possible to research upgrades, but it'd take a long time to improve on the current formula.
Fair enough. I just figured it was possible that it wasn't terribly fire-resistant because most Chinese pugilists aren't in the habit of hurling fire around so it wasn't really a priority, whereas it would be now with these Zoroastrians threatening the country, rather than the formula being nearly-perfect already and therefore being really difficult to improve upon.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave said:
Still, the options you mentioned mostly involved talking and bluffing?
Talking, bluffing and generally trying to circumvent the problem. Not my fault the sneaky choices were shunned because 3-5 in skill didn't seem reliable enough to some. The point is, we do not act the part of the Maniac's apprentice people expect us to be, relying more on cunning than on brute strenght.

Stealth would allow us to mess with people without them noticing until it's too late. It worked well in Qingcheng. It also does synergize well with talking when you have access to the information you otherwise should not have. Finally, there are some people that I'd rather avoid talking to at all, like Hei brothers. Would have been awesome to turn their fortress in a haunted place with them being none the wiser.

treave said:
I can see that the adjutant is being turned into a rogue, though. Still, the high stealth and lethal combat potential makes him suitable for assassination missions against soft targets, so that's one job he can excel at.
Stealth have many uses. With it, many things become possible without combat altogether.
A rogue can't hold his own in combat against a mob, though, so we still have an advantage when it is unavoidable.

From the top of my head, Yuhua Halls and BDS are two places where stealth options could have probably saved us a lot of money and trouble. Multiclassing isn't that bad.

Fangshi said:
However, I believe only one of the options to truly be worthy of a man like Jing and that is C. If there is one thing I love it is a good con, conning Youxia city would have been magnificent, here we have the once in a lifetime chance to con all of China and I can not in all honesty vote against it.
True, Shadow Wolf may be the ultimate thief, but we'll be the ultimate conman.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
That's BJ-talk! :mad:

I believe 7 is enough for our purposes. A con does not necessarily rely on CHA. The current one certainly doesn't.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why weren't we offered the acupuncture technique Qilin used? Or is that too much to ask for?

Acupuncture doesn't work on you.

Fair enough. I just figured it was possible that it wasn't terribly fire-resistant because most Chinese pugilists aren't in the habit of hurling fire around so it wasn't really a priority, whereas it would be now with these Zoroastrians threatening the country, rather than the formula being nearly-perfect already and therefore being really difficult to improve upon.

It isn't perfect, just that these sort of things take time to figure out. Decades of research go into improving it bit by bit.

Stealth have many uses. With it, many things become possible without combat altogether.

Better get started on lobbying for that rank 8 stealth, then, since as I said it'll be harder to make the jump from 7 to 8. :lol:

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Are the votes counted as one entry for each part or for the combination? In the meantime, I'll flop to A > B for the middle vote. B winning there is better than C, at least then the draw to have our own supply of silk will be a factor if this chance ever pops up again.

I'm kind of leery of techniques that fully depend of equipment if you can't actually easily replace the stuff. Wrapping our hands in silk - wouldn't that interfere with our claw techniques? As for a vest, maybe we should invest in some mundane concealed armor if such a thing exists in this setting.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Damn I'm out of town and I can barely keep up with what you're all writing, from my mobile. So as for the choices.

1) C would be really great if we managed to pull it off. IF. That is a big if right there. And the conseqences should we fuck up would b disastrous. And we really can't count on luck here. Were we some tsunder rabbit with 10 I guess it would work. But 1 Luck guys, come on.
I'll go with B and I hope all you guys come to your senses since I have no idea how will we pull this off with our bad luck.

2) C is a really really great boon we'd get. However attribute bonuses we could get from somewhere else so I'd go with the wud specific boons since they seem rather rare. Now A sounds naturally stupid and a bit disgusting. I personally hate centipedes and spiders, especially of the poisonous type so that is a no for me. Treave how much can we learn about the silk technique until the tournament? Enough so that it would make a difference ? I'd go with B>C but I might flop. I'll vote with whatever helps us best in the following tournament.

3) As for the last choice
B. Stealth. Since 2>1.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It doesn't interfere with techniques, no more than wearing a glove would. You won't have enough time to learn anything beyond basic stuff before the tournament. So simple tricks, tripwires, garottes, wraps, nothing fancy.

Tribute

Arbiter
It isn't perfect, just that these sort of things take time to figure out. Decades of research go into improving it bit by bit.
Oh. Well we certainly don't have decades, nor do we have the godly Intelligence necessary to make stunning breakthroughs on this sort of thing in record time.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
Better get started on lobbying for that rank 8 stealth, then, since as I said it'll be harder to make the jump from 7 to 8. :lol:
If our Kuanglang Step counts towards our stealth skill points, why not incorporate it into our character's statistics entirely? Is it permanently active, i.e., is it a passive benefit?

I thought our stealth effectively stays at 3 for the purposes of further betterment, and it is the perfection of the technique that allows us to rise above mediocrity. I didn't know it followed the same rules since you told us Reikan can break the skill limit.

Still, I am not the one to powergame. The numbers probably don't decide anything (it's not like you make rolls to see if we passed a certain check), and are there only for us to have a better understanding of where we currently stand.

Kipeci

Arcane
If you hate spiders and the like, isn't the best way to get over that fear by dominating their minds, assembling them into an army and setting that against your foes? I haven't been one to talk too much about many long term benefits in this, but don't any of you think that it's just a little short-sighted to ditch this technique for some easily acquired qinggong to help us out in a tournament that we haven't agreed we will be participating in?

Tribute

Arbiter
I'm still pushing for "Learn something Wudu-specific, then learn Wudang's qinggong for Even More Unarmed Skill" myself, though I don't know how likely it is we'll get another opportunity to learn that Wudang technique down the line.

Nevill

Arcane
Kipeci said:
but don't any of you think that it's just a little short-sighted to ditch this technique for some easily acquired qinggong to help us out in a tournament that we haven't agreed we will be participating in?
No.

It won't help us if we need the orthodox disciples to accept us as their better. That's not how you do it. Unless you kill them all, of course.

Tribute said:
I'm still pushing for "Learn something Wudu-specific, then learn Wudang's qinggong for Even More Unarmed Skill" myself, though I don't know how likely it is we'll get another opportunity to learn that Wudang technique down the line.
Stealthy Qinggong is Wudu specific, though. And it is available now, before the tournament.

We need to start perfecting our techniques. A lot of low-level ones would do us no good.

Tribute

Arbiter
Stealthy Qinggong is Wudu specific, though. And it is available now, before the tournament.
Oh, well yes. I just don't see the Stealth boost being as useful for the tournament, considering what treave has said, and personally think an Unarmed+AGI boost would suit Jing fine. If you rate stealth more highly than I do, then yes, by all means vote for that one.

Kipeci

Arcane
What do you mean, through orthodox points? I thought it was already established that ifor a reputation it's more important for it to be big than to have a particular bent to it?

Zhang Jue ranks very much on the unorthodox side of the scale, but not many orthodox folks beyond Wudang's Grand Taoist would boast that they are better than him (except perhaps in morals).

If we're going to enslave the world with necromancy, we need to start off somewhere.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If our Kuanglang Step counts towards our stealth skill points, why not incorporate it into our character's statistics entirely? Is it permanently active, i.e., is it a passive benefit?

I thought our stealth effectively stays at 3 for the purposes of further betterment, and it is the perfection of the technique that allows us to rise above mediocrity.

You can break the stat-based cap, but I'm not so keen on letting you go past 10 for skills at the moment. There's only so many things you can learn about stealth. The sneaking you learn is incorporated into your technique. In other words, you can only be that sneaky by moving according to your qinggong. If you cannot use it, or do not want to use it, you cannot be as stealthy. Are there circumstances in which this will happen? Yes, though they are rather rare. Would it be better to improve general stealth ability? Yes, but you aren't a rogue and don't get the same sort of opportunities to constantly practice it. Will the skill boosts stack? Only up to 10 for now.

Edit: By skill limit I'm referring to the cap on skill based on stats. That ends at 10 regardless of how high your stats go, and you won't go any higher even with stacking techniques.

Nevill

Arcane
Tribute said:
Oh, well yes. I just don't see the Stealth boost being as useful for the tournament, considering what treave has said, and personally think an Unarmed+AGI boost would suit Jing fine. If you rate stealth more highly than I do, then yes, by all means vote for that one.
Stealth is useful for other purposes, and AGI would be good for the tournament as well. 11 AGI is no joke.

Unarmed + AGI Qinggong would suit Jing fine, but we are not offered one. And if you ever would be offered such a thing, why not take it as well, boosting your stats to 12 AGI?

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
I think he means for completing Zhang's challenge. We need to be acknowledged as the strongest disciple of our generation in a manner acceptable to ZJ.

Of course, it's entirely possible that giving him a colony of Japanese people (including a superninja), giving him a reason to go gallivanting around Japan fighting monsters and basically destroying their country, and then sending him the fucking Emperor might stay his wrath a bit.

It's not like we've been sitting on our thumbs here.

Tribute said:
Stealth is useful for other purposes, and AGI would be good for the tournament as well. 11 AGI is no joke.

Unarmed + AGI would suit Jing fine, but we are not offered one. And if you ever would be offered such a thing, why not take it as well, boosting your stats to 12 AGI?
The AGI boost is the main selling point for that option in my book as well, yes. I just figure the webbing one might have even more uses, and it expands our repertoire both in and out of combat. AGI-boost mostly makes Jing better at dodging and hitting, which everyone already knows he does. Though yes, stat boosts are quite good.

Kipeci

Arcane
And? What of it? We barely use our Qinggong in fights, a point in that (which, again, is rather common and easy to obtain) won't matter compared to the grounds we can lay for the future with animal control.

Nevill

Arcane
Tribute said:
AGI-boost mostly makes Jing better at dodging and hitting, which everyone already knows he does. Though yes, stat boosts are quite good.
Stats are our main selling point, since we are low on high-level techniques. Faster than Guo Fu, stronger than Yunzi, we always have something against our opponents.

Kipeci said:
And? What of it? We barely use our Qinggong in fights, a point in that (which, again, is rather common and easy to obtain) won't matter compared to the grounds we can lay for the future with animal control.
Really? The closest fights we had were against Guo Fu, Yunzi, and the one hundred man battle. In each case we went all out.
AGI improves our ability to dodge, and I bet you don't want to catch another punch from Guo Fu. How would animal control help you against him, exactly? Would you order your spiders to bite him?

Higher AGI would also allow us to be on par with Yunzi in that department - back at the tournament, we knew we would be toast if we allowed the match to go any longer.

One point means the difference between being equal and inferior.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom