Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Rex Feral

Prophet
As far as training for the tournament goes our option seem like:

A. Learn some unorthodox moves from the Fire Cult, which might be particularly useful in a fight against Bai Jiutan, since I don't think he ever fought against such unorthodox pugilists.

C. Learn some orthodox moves from the Emei. Might come in handy overall, since during the last tournaments the only one who got closest to beating BJ was an Emei.

B. Get some real fighting experience battling 10 000 professional soldiers (hopefully not, though I expect we'll get our fair share of combat experts to fight)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not sure why you need me to confirm something you should already know.

She renounced her bandit ways a long time ago and doesn't plan to return there. It's not impossible, but if you're going to ask her to teach you unorthodox fighting and break her own vows it better well be for a damn better reason than "I want to beat Bai Jiutian to rub my cock in his face and also cost you guys the Fire Cult challenge".

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, we can pinky swear that we'll fight for China's sects and defend Home Pride. And then rub our cock in BJ's face. Repeatedly.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You guys are underestimating him a lot if you think some petty tricks are enough to turn the fight in your favour. :lol:

Rex Feral

Prophet
You know, we fought pugilists of all kinds, we fought bandits and imperial agents. But we never really fought a military combat expert. Like a warrior, focused not as much on fighting as on killing. Someone who's fought in wars and battlefields before and survived to tell the tale.

Treave, how would we fare against military combat experts, in our current condition?

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh, BJ's good, no doubt about it, but if we can somehow get Miecao to put us through her version of Three Months In Hell, aka Unorthodox Fighting Bootcamp, I think we'd be in shape to take her. I'd go with C for that, although it really does seem unfeasible for her to do it, unless we give up the Yuchang Sword, which is not really good for our help considering Master Zhang's instructions.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Treave, how would we fare against military combat experts, in our current condition?

Depends on the quality of soldiers. One on one it's rare for any of them to be able to match up, but in most cases you won't be able to take on a hundred like you did with the orthodox pugilists, unless they're shitty grunts. They're rather more disciplined and coordinated and not afraid to fight dirty if it comes down to it. There might be some really strong fighters in there, but they're not very common.

I'd go with C for that, although it really does seem unfeasible for her to do it, unless we give up the Yuchang Sword, which is not really good for our help considering Master Zhang's instructions.

Not even then. It's not yours to give up anyway. She's allowing you to keep it for now.

Now it is officially a thing.

Perhaps. Which is why I strongly suggest you confirm it with Monkey Steals The Peaches, should you get the chance.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Btw, if BJ can take 4 Wus, how many BJs can ZJ take?

Rex Feral

Prophet
Zhang would probably be able to beat him, his master, Jing and the Wu brothers with one hand while holding his dick to piss with the other hand.

ScubaV

Prophet
"Cao'er what do your Immortal Eyes say about his fighting power?"

"Uh...hiihihihihihihi...it's over 9000 Wuuuuuuuuuuu's!!!!!!"

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave, does Jing still consider himself some sort of a guardian figure to Cao'er? Does he feel responsible for her upbringing and/or education? He did compare her to a younger sister (though it was two years ago), and in the absense of parents such duties fall to their elder siblings.

What I am trying to say, does Jing care enough to try and improve Cao'er's ability to interact with people? She spent three months in a nunnery, and yet her speech seem to have regressed from what it was in, say, Tournament Preparations.

I know her speech pattern and strange behavior are the traits that make her distinct from other characters, but I also hope she will be able to live a normal life one day. I would not mind if Jing made her handle some tasks that involve talking to people, provided that he feels the same way. If Jing received two stat upgrades during his apprenticeship, so can Cao'er. :)

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Well, Cao'er is going to be traveling with us, so I'm sure she'll be interacting with people plenty. Honestly though, if you want her to be live a normal life, perhaps hanging out with the suicidal apprentice of a mass murderer is a good start. Not that I'd want her anywhere else, of course.

Anyways, I suppose we'll be yoloing it up again with B. Jing seems to be in a pretty unique position to resolve this situation since he might be able to act as a go-between for both Shun and the Wudu Cult. However, the situation presents a bit of a Catch-22; to get to Shun, we would need to prove to people like Gao Ying that we're his agent, but at the same time, if the Wudu Cult knows that we're Shun's agent, they won't trust us, and if really fuck up they might just opt to kill us. It's a tricky balancing act, for sure. Qilin would of course accept our help, but as treave said, she'd probably be curious about our motives in coming with her, which is understandable.

I'm also not sure how our (public) reputation won't just make things worse. As far as the government knows, we are a savage pugilist who has gone against their interest during the pirate raid and at the Black Dragon Society. Nevertheless, Tulu Huodu seems like a smart guy, I'm sure he'll find a way to make us useful (to his interests).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not exactly sure how it's a regression, but she seems perfectly fine with talking to people, even if a bit awkward about it. She went up and talked to Yunzi even though it is their first meeting, didn't she?

I'm also not convinced that Jing wants to force any lessons on her after you guys made the choice to have her decide her own path. Why not let her progress at her own pace and decide how much interaction she wants with society? The time she spent at Emei was mostly to pick up more self defense skills anyway, not to train to be a social butterfly. The nunnery is not the best place for that. Of course, as she travels with you she'll continue to gain more confidence, but these things will take quite a bit of time especially for someone as different as her.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
However, the situation presents a bit of a Catch-22; to get to Shun, we would need to prove to people like Gao Ying that we're his agent,
That's the easy part, Shun and Jing have their secret code they used in their childhood. If Gao Ying demands we prove ourselves, we'll just tell him to pass a message to Shun.

Esquilax

Arcane
That's the easy part, Shun and Jing have their secret code they used in their childhood. If Gao Ying demands we prove ourselves, we'll just tell him to pass a message to Shun.

Gao Ying wants us dead. He won't "demand" anything, he doesn't know if we're lying, so he'll act under the assumption that we're an enemy for now. We made him indecisive for a second after revealing our allegiance to Shun, but he still fired that poison dart at us with the intention of killing us once he got his bearings. Agents like Gao Ying are trained to shoot first and ask questions later, so it's not like he's going to bother asking us for our license and registration once he sees us. I'm not saying that we can't get the dude on our side at some point, just that proving that we're Shun's agent isn't really that easy.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Honestly though, if you want her to be live a normal life, perhaps hanging out with the suicidal apprentice of a mass murderer is a good start.
Hey, I said someday, not now! :) Besides, it is a good change of pace from hanging out with a suicidal old coot with murderous tendencies. Small steps. We'll get there. :D

I'm not exactly sure how it's a regression, but she seems perfectly fine with talking to people, even if a bit awkward about it. She went up and talked to Yunzi even though it is their first meeting, didn't she?
Well, the sentences seemed shorter and less fluid to me. Might be just my imagination, though. If she has the nerve and stamina to have a verbal fight with Yunzi, who is quick-witted and sharp-tongued, then all is good, I suppose. Still, I hope she continues to improve.

Anyway, since I started talking about how the characters view the world, I have another matter I'd like to talk about. Specifically, this:

You guys had two big chances to demonstrate interest: first by talking to the Ashina fighter at the tournament, then going after the Fire Cult to follow Yunzi. Unfortunately you picked neither, thus establishing where your priorities lay.
Now, please don't take it the wrong way, but something about it does not sit well with me. When we didn't talk to the Ashina fighter, we didn't know about the calamity that befell them - we had thought they were safe somewhere far in the north, despite the troubles on the border. We did not intend to visit them in a year because we had Zhang's challenge to worry about, first and foremost. There was no reason to trade a talk with a man who we did not even know speaks the same language we do on a chance to proceed in the tournament. If we knew more about the situation, I suppose the result could have been different.

It was somewhat the same with the cult - we thought that we could achieve more by acting independently - and maybe we still would. Going with the foreigners just because Yunzi might have been there seemed unreasonable at a time. Jing isn't a lovestruck fool who can't see anything but the object of his passions, even if Yunzi were one.

In short, if something gets a lower priority than another thing, it does not mean that the second thing is of no interest to us. You don't go shopping when your house is on fire, even if nothing in the world pleases you more than a shopping tour. When the emergencies get taken care of, and things return back to normal, the priorities shift. They may shift even just by getting more information.

Where am I going with this? Yes, I know, choices and consequences are great, but I feel that the current choice follows in the steps of two previous ones. People other than me feel like Yunzi is starting to slip through our fingers, but it is just because the circumstances are stacked against us in such a way that there are always more dire and pressing matters to attend to. The star-crossed lovers, indeed. I would not want this to be mistaken as a lack of interest in certain developments on players' part... or on Jing's part, for that matter.

Even though I didn't do anything to learn more about Ashina at a time, even if I am not following Yunzi now, I still care for them a great deal. I don't know how Jing feels, but I'd like to hope that he shares the sentiment.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
That's true, but then we'd have to be completely retarded to just walk up to him and expect a red carpet. We'll need to smuggle him a message, or messenger, with an encrypted greeting, or let him know we're there somehow. We grew up with the dude, we know things about him that no one else does and we need to use that to our advantage.

Fangshi

Arcane
Well if the Minamoto are with him that may be an in to get to Shun, they trust us and might be willing to get a message to him, the problem would be getting a hold of one of them.

I suppose we could try and sneak in (although that would probably provoke Gao Ying if he is there), maybe we really could just waltz into the camp and demand to speak to their commander, of course if Shun is not immediately around they may just attack us as an enemy of the state...

Best guess, get the Wudu on our side and go to the camp as an "official" messenger to talk peace/surrender, the real problem I see with that would be getting Shun alone without causing too much suspicion but surely there is some way around the issue.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
Best guess, get the Wudu on our side and go to the camp as an "official" messenger to talk peace/surrender
Just allowing harm to come to the royal prince is a death sentence for his bodyguard. You might imagine what punishment poisoning the Emperor would involve.

They would not acccept surrender, not from traitors.

Fangshi

Arcane
Well I think we probably could get an audience, I mean they would probably tie us up and whatnot and I doubt we could get him alone without raising suspicions... Yep that is the difficult point, how exactly to bridge that gap? As mentioned before we could try to get a coded message to him which might work to set something up but I guess we will just have to see what options are available when/if the time comes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom