Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Don't try speaking common sense into them, LWC1996. It will just make them vote the opposite. I've learned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fangshi

Arcane
To be fair, pretty much no one is actually advocating we go with C and the main point of contention between A and B revolves around whether or not we think we can beat Chanfeng/Xiaoqi (though to be fair it will mostly be Yunzi beating them since we really are in no shape to do it on our own).

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Well, that and whether or not Changfeng will hate us forever for stopping her from going.

Still, I think you're probably all making the right decision in voting A. While there may be a chance that letting them go will somehow have them run into Bai and company as they search for their manual, and that it's possible that the heroic Bai could save the girls, really the reload makes it impossible for us to know if the manual would even be stolen etc.

Fangshi

Arcane
Well I don't think BJ and the brothers will even go to Youxia city at all since it was Jing that suggested it may have been an actual thief that took the manual/sword. Without Jing they may never actually figure it out (they are completely out of their element after all).

LWC1996

Learned
To be fair, pretty much no one is actually advocating we go with C and the main point of contention between A and B revolves around whether or not we think we can beat Chanfeng/Xiaoqi (though to be fair it will mostly be Yunzi beating them since we really are in no shape to do it on our own).

I understand that. But there's always that YOLO advocate somewhere. ;)

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, with just one eye our depth perception is pretty much gone. Does that mean Jing is useless in ranged combat, like bows and thrown weapons?

MystiKnight

Educated
OH GOD NOT YOUXIA CITY AGAIN. RUN BROS, RUN.

Voting B.

I dunno, it kinda seems stupid to fight anything we don't actually have to fight right now. We've done a lot of risky and stupid shit before, and I think now after wiping the slate clean we should start.. Y'know, not doing stupid shit.

Kipeci

Arcane
What's the worst that can happen in A? I mean, sure, she's not happy with us, but she already hates men anyway. She's terribly week after her stay in the dungeons and while we're not exactly strong right now, I think with our extra fighting skill in we're much better than the first time we clashed AND Yunzi will probably be helping us. Xiahou Yu is very skilled at saving our ass and giving him a reason to stick around is a good thing.

ScubaV

Prophet
Voting B.

Mostly because a lot of the same people that got us killed and then failed the assassination mission are voting A. Yes, I'm butthurt.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Man, a day later and 6 pages of discuss...moving on.
B We're in no position to fight. If our scholar still wants to help his "lady" so be it.
Voting B.

I dunno, it kinda seems stupid to fight anything we don't actually have to fight right now. We've done a lot of risky and stupid shit before, and I think now after wiping the slate clean we should start.. Y'know, not doing stupid shit.
I don't know. A lot of people seem to think of A as of another YOLO choice that caused us some grief in the last week, but it does not seem like this is the case. Jing is keenly aware of his own condition, and it is entirely unlikely he will participate in a fight - he is asking Yunzi to deal with the problem precisely because he can't do it. So, no, he is thinking clearly, and is not trying to force his way through the issue at hand.

The problem I see with B is that it tries to dissuade Yu from helping his lady friend for no sensible reason, and does not let him accompany her (who knows where she will be by the time he wakes up), potentially splitting their group and making the task that much harder for them. If we could let Yu go with her straight away, I would have no qualms with it.

The rule of thumb Esquilax cited is right - if Yu thinks something is a bad idea, it probably is. He is the brains of our group.

Mostly because a lot of the same people that got us killed and then failed the assassination mission are voting A. Yes, I'm butthurt.
You are the one to talk, Mr. "Man, am I glad we've finally decided to kill that agent!"

Last edited:

MystiKnight

Educated
I don't know. A lot of people seem to think of A as of another YOLO choice that caused us some grief in the last week, but it does not seem like this is the case. Jing is keenly aware of his own condition, and it is entirely unlikely he will participate in a fight - he is asking Yunzi to deal with the problem precisely because he can't do it. So, no, he is thinking clearly, and is not trying to force his way through the issue at hand.

The problem I see with B is that it tries to dissuade Yu from helping his lady friend for no sensible reason, and does not let him accompany her (who knows where she will be by the time he wakes up), potentially splitting their group and making the task that much harder for them. If we could let Yu go with her straight away, I would have no qualms with it.

The rule of thumb Esquilax cited is right - if Yu thinks something is a bad idea, it probably is. He is the brains of our group.

Rather than a YOLO choice, I think it's the choice that can lead to the most short-term physical harm. Sure, we're not going to go full man mode and try to whoop Changfeng's ass, but with our luck stat we could end up with another injury. I mean, we were unlucky enough to have an arrow skim our eye, I'm sure we can break a bone or two or something pretty easily at this rate.

Also, which one is the brains, Esquilax or Yu?

Nevill

Arcane
Rather than a YOLO choice, I think it's the choice that can lead to the most short-term physical harm. Sure, we're not going to go full man mode and try to whoop Changfeng's ass, but with our luck stat we could end up with another injury. I mean, we were unlucky enough to have an arrow skim our eye, I'm sure we can break a bone or two or something pretty easily at this rate.
Yunzi will be doing most of the work for us. She alone is enough for it, too. Our job is just not to get in the way, is all.
She has the means, the will, and the desire to punch Changfeng in the face until she submits, I'd say we let her.
Come on, you don't think it was our luck that made us lose the eye, don't you? Face it, we couldn't walk out of the reload scot free.

Also, which one is the brains, Esquilax or Yu?
Both, I guess.

Kipeci

Arcane
Break a bone? She launched three of her most powerful attacks against the side of our skull and failed to do more than giving us excruciating pain and launching a toxic neigong into our body, what makes you think she'd break a bone? Some people expressed concerns about our injured eye, but treave said that that's gone, anyway.

Nevill

Arcane
Break a bone? She launched three of her most powerful attacks against the side of our skull and failed to do more than giving us excruciating pain and launching a toxic neigong into our body, what makes you think she'd break a bone? Some people expressed concerns about our injured eye, but treave said that that's gone, anyway.
You are still making it sound like our participation is needed.
Yunzi is several times more powerful than we are right now. Why would we even try to help her? What help can we offer?

I don't think we personally will be fighting. Dodging stray blows, and grabbing Xiaoqi, maybe.

Usually, YOLO choices have us overestimating our strenghts and paying the price. A is anything but overestimating our chances.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Okay, I can't believe I'm having to spell this out.

She doesn't want him going with her. That's why she immobilized him with pressure points in the first place, and what it was implied that they were also arguing about. He couldn't really stop her from leaving if she wanted to, they both know that, and he'd have run off after her if she didn't do it. Actually encouraging Yu to go after her right now doesn't solve anything except splitting up your party. She still doesn't want him to follow her into Youxia City.

And you can unfreeze him immediately by hitting the same points, but doing so without fighting Chanfeng will let her get away before you can talk to her. You'd have to do something, like, say, having Yunzi keep her busy.

Last edited:

MystiKnight

Educated
So, can I consider A as "Get Yunzi to keep them busy while you help Yu"? Because in that case, A is sounding more plausible as an option. If not, then:

D: Get Yunzi to keep them busy while you help Yu, then negotiate with Changfeng

Baltika9

Arcane
Sure, we're not going to go full man mode and try to whoop Changfeng's ass, but with our luck stat we could end up with another injury. I mean, we were unlucky enough to have an arrow skim our eye, I'm sure we can break a bone or two or something pretty easily at this rate.
First things first, MystiKnight, you probably skipped the entire character creation DISCUSS (smart move), but we were specifically warned by the GM against factoring in our luck into our decision making completely, and there's a long-standing gentleman's agreement between every player to not mention the 'luck argument.' The arrow destroying our eye was the price of the rollback, nothing less and nothing more.
A bit of advice for the future: don't plan for bad luck when making the choices. Luck is capricious and unpredictable, even the bad sort. You're not at the level of terrible luck that you know will happen consistently, all day, every day, so heading into every choice thinking that you should try to predict any misfortune about to happen is only going to be a tiring waste of time.

Now that that's over with:

I understand that. But there's always that YOLO advocate somewhere. ;)
Oh, and yes, B for now, because even if we do beat Changfeng up chances are she will just flee the next chance she gets.
The point of voting for A isn't to please Changfeng or because of lulz, no, we don't really care about her beyond the infodump (as useless as it was :lol:). We're doing this for Yu. As I've stated earlier, even with all the things Jing did for him, Yu's life was still saved by her and he is madly and completely in love with her, which means taht letting her go will be horrible for our relationship with him, whether he stays or goes. And that will in turn be horrible for us: Yu is to tactics, strategy and intelligence what Jing is to deadly martial arts, doing the impossible and trolling, these two make the perfect team by balancing one another out and finding options where the other can't because of his own personal limitations*. For instance: in the Manor, Jing found one approach to gather Yunzi and did some recon with that agent, and then confronted then immediately went to confront the demon and save the exorcist, meanwhile Yu gathered up the cavalry and came through for the perfect victory. One's actions wouldn't have worked without the other's.

So, yes, it definitely is in our best interest to do Yu this solid to cement his friendship forever. Even if he splits for now/we let him plit for now, we will still be able to call on him in our hour of need any time and anywhere, that's how deeply he values his friends. And to be honest, even without Yunzi our chances against Changfeng are pretty solid all things considered. We still have a legendary sword, extreme resistance to her neiggong that didn't diminish just because we can't manifest our qi, and she is just as tired and ragged as us.

*Sad to say, Jing cannot be a perfect being: we are the bravest, ballsiest and most indomitable fighter of the youngest generation, but we're not too cautious or perceptive or patient of people; and that's fine, every character has his strengths and flaws, and these are ours.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Well the problem I see with an option D is that Chanfeng simply wants to leave so if given half a chance she will simply escape with Xiaoqi. And Xiaoqi is quite good at escapes it seems, what with that seemingly endless supply of smoke bombs she has. Seems to me the least messy way to deal with the situation is to quickly incapacitate Chanfeng (it is a good thing Yunzi is one of the quickest fighters in the entire setting), Xiaoqi won't leave without her and if we can calm Chanfeng down a bit we may be able to come up with an actual plan utilizing Jing's wits, Yu's intellect and Chanfeng's knowledge of the underworld. Chanfeng is unlikely to be able to save her friends with Yu trying to stalk her and Yu won't be able to keep her "safe" if she keeps dumping him; the sooner they realize that the better.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Guys? Can we please stick to voting on what treave lines up as possible choices, instead of making our own E, D, F, G and H options?
That really screwed us over just recently. It's greedy to think we can have our cake and eat it too, and actually I'm happy we were punished for it.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B. Maybe I'm overtly cautious but I don't want Jing fighting now. We can still get hurt even if Yunzi does most of the fighting.

Tigranes

Arcane
Hrmph. I'm reasonably persuaded by the A case, and Yu is indeed critical to our fortunes (even if the one time he explicitly helped us he cocked it up), I'm just worried because A option explicitly states subdue, and that we are not in a condition for a duel. Yunzi will think it highly weird that we are asking her to subdue Changfeng instead of doing it ourselves, if she even feels it is necessary to stop her anyway.

Also, we haven't had a chance to really talk with Changfeng, so she doesn't really see us as friends or at least 'reasonable people' in the way Yu and Yunzi see us. If we resort to force now she will escape, and then after that she will think of us the same as the BDS and the rest of her enemies, especially given her black and white personality. Yu will resent us for this, but more importantly, it will cut us off from a valuable human connection that may yield further benefits down the line (although I find it rather disappointing that Changfeng had so little to say about the Ashani affair).

I guess I don't have confidence in how A will exactly turn out, though I'd like to be able to vote it.

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't quite understand: how do you reckon Changfeng will escape? Either Jing or Yunzi will be on her little helper (and the girls is extremely conflicted in the first place, she seems very reluctant to leave Yunzi), and she's still exhausted and malnourished from the BDS' dungeons, so I think our chances are pretty damn good.

Fangshi

Arcane
Tigranes said:
Yu will resent us for this,

"You shake your head. Though Yu is frozen, you can see the pleading look in his eyes. You have no doubt that once he is freed he will attempt to follow her."

Yu should not be a problem since he is asking us to intervene and the only way we can detain her is through force, he will understand.

If we resort to force now she will escape,

That is the biggest problem I can see with A, if we attack and she gets away we will have no time to explain ourselves and we will lose a potential ally. Of course if we just let her march off she may get herself killed and then we lose an ally anyway. Also Yu is almost certain to go after her and further complicate the situation. I am actually somewhat confident that Chanfeng could survive Youxia city (and maybe even succeed though I doubt it) on her own but with Yu chasing after trying to find her I think it is much less likely. Which is why I would like to try and subdue her, with Yu immobilized and Chanfeng tied up the two can have a nice long talk and work out a proper plan instead of yelling at each other.

(Of course no matter what they decide we have to go to Emei, we can't help anyone until we recover a little.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom