Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ScubaV

Prophet
Flopping to Tiger Rogue (Str +1, Per -1, End -2, Cha +3, Int +0, Agi +3, Luck -1).

I think this is more balanced than a rabbit rogue, and maintains a fast-talking, nimble-handed swashbuckler archetype. Nothing is under 3 and while we still will primarily use stealth and conversation, our +1 str and +3 agi let us mix it up physically, albeit not for very long (End -2). Ideally we would use trickery to keep engagements short and favorable.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll close up the background votes in 24 hours, then the subsequent 36 hours will be for finalization of the stats via picking a zodiac sign.

On that note, these are the current votes:

Goat Doctor
Rabbit Rogue
Dragon Adjutant
Rat Adjutant
Pig Farmer
BLANK Rogue
Rabbit Adjutant
Tiger Farmer
Rabbit Rogue
Snake Scholar
Tiger Rogue
Tiger Adjutant
Goat Scholar
Ox Adjutant
Pig Farmer
Tiger Rogue
Dragon Adjutant

Putting the signs aside, the background tally is as follows:

Scholar - 2
Farmer - 3
Rogue - 5
Adjutant - 6
Doctor - 1

It's really quite close.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Come on pressure points, artistic skill, qinggong and throwing needles sounds as funniest thing possible here.
Building fighting poet who is able to knock you unconscious with move of hand and usually produce himself problems after few jars of wine sound interesting.

Guess having general who wins campaigns by sheer luck would be fun to.

Edit.
However, a swordsman can expect to meet many challengers should he rise to fame.
this part is interesting to.

Baltika9

Arcane
You can always castrate yourself later to get phenomenal kungfu powers.
<sigh> It just won't be the same. :(

Since you faggots don't want to be Private Smartass and sass our superiors as the Tiger-Scholar, I'll go for
Dragon-Adjutant.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A scholar wouldn't end up as a grunt in the army, taking the military examination is a fast-track to an officer's position. There's nothing stopping you from sassing your generals - or better, those damn meddling eunuchs. Nothing at all...

Baltika9

Arcane
An officer sassing his superiors? That's even better. :lol:
It would've been cool if we could work the nerd to the Emperor's Bodyguard and sass the big man directly. Short lived, but funny as hell.

oscar

Arcane
C'mon pig farmer people. Who doesn't want to be a big hearty brute who is beloved by fate?

We could lead a peasant revolution or something.

kazgar

Arcane
C'mon pig farmer people. Who doesn't want to be a big hearty brute who is beloved by fate?

We could lead a peasant revolution or something.

pigsy.jpg

oscar

Arcane
Let us show those over-educated fops and eunuchs the true might of the honest farmer

2012012814535336D.jpg

Kipeci

Arcane
Edit: Never mind what was here before, I'm going for Tiger Adjutant! It's the best build for a sword user.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Let us show those over-educated fops and eunuchs the true might of the honest farmer

2012012814535336D.jpg
If you want to pull off a People's Revolution, why not do it as a scheming bureaucrat-officer type? Worked for this guy
mao-zedong-1.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd rather eventually set up a Shadow Organisation that takes on all the jobs and mess the Honourable Men cannot admit or confront, and makes it all disappear. After all, those without honour can always eliminate those with honour with honour...

Kipeci

Arcane
Bros, I just finished figuring out which character would be the best for every single skill or stat provided for your min/maxing pleasure.

COMBAT SKILLS:

Axe - Ox Farmer
Bows - Dog Doctor
Saber - Tiger Farmer/Adjutant
Spear - Dog Adjutant/Doctor
Staff - Dog Adjutant/Doctor
Sword - Tiger Adjutant
Thrown Weapons - Dog Doctor
Unarmed - Tiger Farmer/Adjutant

ACTIVE SKILLS:

Artistic Skill: I think Goat Scholar for the most potential, but Goat Adjutant for the most starting out.
Herbalism: Goat Scholar seems to have the most potential, but Goat Doctor has the most skill in Herbalism to start.
Pressure Points: Dog Doctor
Sleight-of-Hand: Monkey Rogue
Sneak: Monkey Rogue
Traps: Goat Scholar

PASSIVE SKILLS:

Drinking: Ox/Horse Farmer
Scholarly Knowledge: Goat Scholar
Speech: Rabbit/Snake/Rooster Rogue
Neigong (Inner Strength): Ox/Horse Farmer
Qinggong (Light Body Skill): Monkey Rogue

GENERAL STATS:

Strength: Ox/Tiger Farmer/Adjutant
Perception: Dog Doctor
Endurance: Ox/Horse Farmer
Charisma: Rabbit/Snake/Rooster Rogue
Intelligence: Goat Scholar
Agility: Monkey Rogue
Luck: Rabbit Scholar/Farmer/Rogue/Doctor

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll close up the background votes in 24 hours, then the subsequent 36 hours will be for finalization of the stats via picking a zodiac sign.

On that note, these are the current votes:

Rabbit Rogue
Dragon Adjutant
Pig Farmer
BLANK Rogue
Rabbit Doctor
Tiger Farmer
Rabbit Rogue
Snake Scholar
Tiger Rogue
Tiger Adjutant
Goat Scholar
Ox Adjutant
Pig Farmer
Tiger Rogue
Dragon Adjutant

Putting the signs aside, the background tally is as follows:

Scholar - 2
Farmer - 3
Rogue - 5
Adjutant - 4
Doctor - 1

It's really quite close.

So my Goat Doctor vote wasn't taken seriously? :rpgcodex:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, it sounded more like a suggestion, what with the question mark and all. Edited.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Challenge: turn the Gallardo archetype into a hero by the end of the LP, whether by intent or otherwise.

Kipeci

Arcane
Now I'll organize them on a more individual basis for all the character builds that were the best at at least one thing. I'll RANDOMLY CAPITALIZE words, so it'll BE FUN. I'm sure the maybe half day of use all of you will get out of it will be worth the effort. I just want to make sure that our character is the best at something.

OX FARMER: Best at using an AXE in combat, tied for best DRINKING, NEIGONG (INNER STRENGTH), and the stats STRENGTH and ENDURANCE in general. The drawback is that, while his body is like a rock, so is his head. Stats are: Strength + 3, Endurance +5, Intelligence -5, Axe +1, Unarmed +1, Drinking +1, and Inner Strength +2

DOG DOCTOR: Best at using BOWS, SPEARS, STAFFS, and THROWN WEAPONS in combat, can jam PRESSURE POINTS the most expertly, and has the best PERCEPTION by a long shot. While he has the best shot at mastering half of the weapon skills presented out of all the characters, is the most perceptive, and has useful skills in herbalism and pressure points, he's borderline socially retarded (not so much as a Goat Doctor, though that's not saying much) and fairly unlucky. Stats are: Perception +5, Intelligence +1, Charisma -3, Agility +2, Luck -2, Herbalism +3, Pressure Points +2

TIGER FARMER: Best at using the SABER or UNARMED combat skills, also shares the lead for the STRENGTH stat. He's got a decent number of good stats that are marred by some... ah, less desirable ones, though it's not really that bad except for intelligence. Unlike the Ox Farmer, the Tiger Farmer has at least not gone full retard in that regard. This character seems like it would be more of the 'bandit' that treave referred to in the description for the saber. Stats are: Strength +3, Agility +2, Charisma +1, Perception -1, Luck -1, Endurance +2, Intelligence -3, Axe +1, Unarmed +1, Drinking +1, Inner Strength +2

TIGER ADJUTANT: Best at using the SABER, SWORD, or UNARMED combat skills, yet another one that shares the lead for the STRENGTH stat. This is probably one of the more prestigious characters, given the importance that swords are said to have. While an excellent fighter with a wide range of good skills and stats, he suffers from the one problem that he is pretty much tragically cursed, though not as much as a Dog Adjutant (again, that doesn't say much). Stats are: Strength +3, Agility +2, Charisma +1, Luck -4, Intelligence +1, Sword +1, Unarmed +1, Artistic Skill +1, Scholarly Knowledge +2

DOG ADJUTANT: Tied with the Dog Doctor for the best combat skills in SPEARS and STAFFS. He's almost as perceptive as the Dog Doctor and has a few other decent points, but he has the single worst luck stat available. Luck this terrible would probably start warping the universe to actively screw this guy over all the time. Stats are: Strength +1, Perception +4, Intelligence +1, Luck -5, Agility +2, Sword +1, Unarmed +1, Artistic Skill +1, Scholarly Knowledge +2

GOAT SCHOLAR: This is maybe a bit iffy, but I think he has the best potential for ARTISTIC SKILL and HERBALISM. He is undeniably best at TRAPS, SCHOLARLY KNOWLEDGE, and INTELLIGENCE in general. This guy seems like he'd be a little squishy in a straight-up fight, so it's good that it seems he'd be able to whip up some poison and traps for his enemies with ease or something to ease his wounds if that failed, or else to think up some nonsense to avoid his weaker points. He's very perceptive and intelligent, and while his worst stat is charisma, his education apparently gave him enough skill in speech so that maybe he wouldn't suffer too badly there. Stats are: Perception +3, Intelligence +5, Charisma -2, Luck -1, Endurance -1, Strength -1, Herbalism +1, Scholarly Knowledge +3, Speech +1

GOAT ADJUTANT: Best ARTISTIC SKILL, at least to start out with. In the long run, a Goat Scholar apparently would have more aptitude and would probably be able to press ahead if we obsessively followed the arts. Aside from the art, Perception and Intelligence are very good, and I guess the combat is decent, but we're a bit socially awkward (probably dangerous at a palace) and terribly unlucky, though at least not as bad as the poor Dog Adjutant. Perception +3, Intelligence +4, Charisma -1, Luck -4, Strength +1, Sword +1, Unarmed +1, Artistic Skill +1, Scholarly Knowledge +2

GOAT DOCTOR: Most skill in HERBALISM to start out with, though we could probably outstrip that with the Goat Scholar's aptitude if we spent a long while studying it due to his greater aptitude. Both highly perceptive and intelligent, unfortunately none of those seem to translate to the social aspects, since I think this is the single worst charisma stat one could have. He would be pretty decent with drugs and disabling people by pressure points, which makes him even sketchier. This is basically the maximum creeper option. Stats are: Perception +4, Intelligence +4, Charisma -4, Luck -1, Herbalism +3, Pressure Points +2

MONKEY ROGUE: Best at SLEIGHT-OF-HAND, SNEAK, QINGGONG (LIGHT BODY SKILL) and AGILITY. If you want a character that can run across water without a soul noticing, this is probably it. He's also fairly smart and very charismatic, the only problems appear to be that he's not too strong, a bit unlucky, and has a terrible endurance stat that I'm pretty sure is at the worst one can have. Stats are: Intelligence +2, Agility +4, Endurance -3, Luck -1, Charisma +2, Strength -1, Sleight-of-Hand +2, Speech +2, Sneak +1

HORSE FARMER: Best at DRINKING, NEIGONG (INNER STRENGTH), and ENDURANCE. The same deal as the Ox Farmer in terms of endurance, the Horse Farmer isn't nearly so strong and is a bit less perceptive. The benefits compared to being a Horse Farmer rather than an Ox one include having the intelligence of something (not far, granted) beyond a vegetable, some agility, and a sprinkle of luck. Stats are: Strength +1, Endurance +5, Intelligence -4, Agility +1, Luck +1, Perception -1, Axe +1, Unarmed +1, Drinking +1, Inner Strength +2

RABBIT ROGUE: Best at SPEECH, CHARISMA, and LUCK. This character's obviously going to be used to getting their way from people, probably even when they don't manage to earn it from their silver tongue due to the massive luck stat. This character would do best not to get into any actual fight, or to talk others into fighting for them if unavoidable; the strength stat is at the lowest possible, and endurance is pretty shoddy, too. Stats are: Agility +1, Charisma +4, Strength -3, Endurance -2, Luck +3, Sleight-of-Hand +2, Speech +2, Sneak +1

SNAKE ROGUE: Best at SPEECH and CHARISMA. This character is fairly squishy, generally weak and has a bit of bad luck, but it appears that talking or dodging his way out of trouble wouldn't be an issue for this slippery snake. Stats are: Agility +3, Charisma +4, Strength -2, Endurance -2, Perception +1, Luck -1, Sleight-of-Hand +2, Speech +2, Sneak +1

ROOSTER ROGUE: Best at SPEECH and CHARISMA. Pretty much the middle road between Rabbit Rogue and Snake Rogue. More agile than Rabbit and less than Snake, as pitifully weak as Rabbit and as perceptive as the snake, the Rooster Rogue has some (yet not overwhelming) good luck and the same gift for gab as the other two. Stats are: Agility +2, Charisma +4, Strength -3, Endurance -2, Perception +1, Luck +1, Sleight-of-Hand +2, Speech +2, Sneak +1

OX ADJUTANT: Best at STRENGTH. Aside from mere brute strength and very good endurance, he does have some skill with the sword and unarmed combat, though the lack of any particular agility does prevent him from using either of those skills as well as adjutants born in more auspicious years for combat skills. While a bit on the slow side, at least some knowledge has trickled down to him through the court, and he is a bit perceptive. The luck is terrible, but not as bad as certain other unfortunates. Stats are: Strength +3, Perception +1, Intelligence -1, Luck -3, Endurance +3, Sword +1, Unarmed +1, Artistic Skill +1, Scholarly Knowledge +2

RABBIT SCHOLAR: Best at LUCK. He's reasonably smart, perceptive, etc., but the main draw is the extreme luck. He has terrible strength, though. Stats are: Perception +1, Intelligence +2, Charisma +1, Endurance -1, Strength -3, Luck +3, Herbalism +1, Scholarly Knowledge +3, Speech +1

RABBIT FARMER: Best at LUCK. If this guy was digging furrows with his hands, it must have been more for his tremendous luck than effort on his part, as he has the strength of an orphan rogue. He's fairly charismatic for a farmer, maybe some sort of revolutionary in waiting? It's a shame that he's rather stupid, but perhaps intellectualism would only put off the peasant rabble I envision him leading. Stats are: Strength -1, Endurance +2, Intelligence -3, Charisma +2, Luck +3, Axe +1, Unarmed +1, Drinking +1, Inner Strength +2

RABBIT DOCTOR: Best at LUCK. This extraordinarily luck doctor has managed to minimize the losses of his social graces despite spending all of his time with a crazy old man in the woods. He's somewhat perceptive and a little bright, but he's also got barely any strength left to him. Stats are: Perception +2, Intelligence +1, Charisma -1, Luck +3, Strength -2, Herbalism +3, Pressure Points +2

kazgar

Arcane
Too much maxxing, not enough minning, whats the worst combo, lets do that one.

Though HORSE FARMER is the best at drinking and isn't a total dumbass, its almost codexian.

And can call him Andyman.

Yeah our characters are pretty much all Gods at something, worms at something else.

OX FARMER is the worst, he's like the Anti-Ean: A strong, brutish fighter and drinker but totally devoid of intelligence and wits. His options will probably be:

1) PUNCH STUFFS
2) DO WHAT I WANT OR I PUNCH STUFFS
3) PUNCH OTHER STUFFS
4) DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! *buuuuurp* NOW I EAT
5) ME LIKE YOU, ME DO WHAT YOU SAY
6) I OBEY, YOU AR MEAN

Kipeci

Arcane

Screw it, I'll do that too. Not for each one, though, just the list format I did earlier.

COMBAT SKILLS

Axe: Rat/Rabbit/Rooster Rogue
Bows: Pig Farmer
Saber: Rabbit Scholar
Spear: Rabbit Rogue
Staff: Rabbit Rogue
Sword: Rabbit Scholar
Thrown Weapons: Pig Farmer
Unarmed: Rabbit Scholar

ACTIVE SKILLS

Artistic Skill: Ox Farmer
Herbalism: Ox Farmer
Pressure Points: Tiger/Horse Farmer/Rogue
Sleight-of-Hand: Dragon/Pig Scholar/Farmer/Adjutant/Doctor
Sneak: Dragon/Pig Scholar/Farmer/Adjutant/Doctor
Traps: Ox Farmer

PASSIVE SKILLS

Drinking: Rat/Monkey Rogue
Scholarly Knowledge: Ox Farmer
Speech: Goat Doctor
Neigong (Inner Strength): Rat/Monkey Rogue
Qinggong (Light Body Skill): Dragon/Pig Scholar/Farmer/Adjutant/Doctor

GENERAL STATS:

Strength: Rabbit/Rooster Scholar/Rogue
Endurance: Rat/Monkey Rogue
Perception: Tiger/Horse Farmer/Rogue
Charisma: Goat Doctor
Intelligence: Ox Farmer
Agility: Dragon/Pig Scholar/Farmer/Adjutant/Doctor
Luck: Dog Adjutant.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry Zero Credibility, I managed to somehow miss your vote for Rat Adjutant. :oops:

Adjutant is now tied with Rogue.

As for the skills, they may cap but if you play your cards right you may be able to get a boost that breaks the skill cap, signifying that you are particularly adept at this skill regardless of your stats. For example, a person with low strength and agility might have a low natural cap for swordplay, but by finding and mastering a specific technique he may be able to wield a sword on a level beyond what he is supposed to be capable of, physically. Of course, give a cap-breaking technique (say, for drinking) to a natural prodigy and you might get THE GREATEST DRINKER EVAR, or thereabouts.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom