Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
It's not evidence, but a reason: Jing isn't a massive vagina like that. Besides which, this guy is a potential threat and a potential asset (I won't call him friend/ally, no such thing in espionage). I'll take the riskier choice here, besides which he's a drained old man for now, won't be able to withold much from us if we play our cards right.
And for all we know, the dude may indeed be a friend. I'd hate to kill him out of "lol, better safe than sorry."

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
It's like we get through a few pages and we dump all the pages before that from our RAM. He's experienced enough to resist most forms of interrogation or he wouldn't be in his position. We have no idea how fast he will recover from magical ghost attack. We are basically half crippled for the foreseeable future. We do not have 100% confirmation Yunzi is trustworthy yet.

Baltika9

Arcane
Perhaps she isn't trustworthy, which was definitely not established either way, but the questions she will be asking him will give us insight into her own motivations and mind. Simply put, I think it's very well worth the risk.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Esquilax - A
Smashing Axe - B
Ifeex - A
Anabanana - B
Jester - A
Ganymede - B
asxetos - B
XenomorphII - B
ERYFKRAD - B
Zero Credibility - B
Elfberserker - B
Kipeci - A
Baltika9 - B
Rex Feral - A
TOME - A
Nevill - B
Tigranes - A
The Brazilian Slaughter - A
m4davis - A
Lambchop19 - A
Grimgravy - A
ScubaV - A
Azira - B
Stygian Lurker - A
Omicron - B
Kashmir Slippers - A
a bear named spigot - A
Nim - B

Current tally:

A - 15
B - 13

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's like we get through a few pages and we dump all the pages before that from our RAM. He's experienced enough to resist most forms of interrogation or he wouldn't be in his position. We have no idea how fast he will recover from magical ghost attack. We are basically half crippled for the foreseeable future. We do not have 100% confirmation Yunzi is trustworthy yet.
Funny how that works.
We meet Yunzi, who we know is working with the Fire Cult, and thus against the Empire and the prince: "Hey, do you know that I am the prince's confidante Xu Jing on a secret mission?"
We meet an Imperial agent, whose allegiance we don't know, and he recognizes us: "IMMA GONNA KILL THIS GUY, TOO DANGEROUS".
:retarded:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I voted not to reveal our name, by the way. And we do know his allegiance. One of the Eunuchs. What does that mean exactly? We don't know. Well, what does Yunzi possibly having or not having memory loss and showing up randomly in the cult mean exactly? We don't know. That's a very selective representation.

Nevill

Arcane
Tigranes said:
And we do know his allegiance. One of the Eunuchs. What does that mean exactly? We don't know.
"If we don't know something about someone - let's kill him just in case."
Tigranes said:
Well, what does Yunzi possibly having or not having memory loss and showing up randomly in the cult mean exactly? We don't know.
"Or let's get them to talk, that works, too."

If we are so touchy about our identity to kill for it, why did we reveal it to Yunzi in the first place? I know this is not a queston for you, since you didn't vote for it.

For you, there is another question. Will you be advocating killing Yunzi before she turns on us, because "she could be a danger in the future now that she knows who we are"? That's exactly what we are doing with the agent. I guess the difference is that we aren't trying to romance him.

Tigranes

Arcane
We talked for pages and pages about the risks of keeping him alive, what we might get out of questioning, etc. We can agree to disagree, but I don't really see a point in reopening the argument in this fashion. It's rather pointless for you to ask that, as if Yunzi is the same as this agent. (If you really think it's the same, well, we'll just have to disagree.)

Anabanana

Augur
Honestly, from a moral standpoint, killing him is unacceptable, especially not without listening to what he has to say first. I don't want to risk killing an innocent man, no matter what. Even if he will jeopardize our mission in some way, that does NOT warrant a death sentence, let alone this situation where it's a 50/50 toss up that he's on our side.

Nevill

Arcane
It isn't about his usefulness to us. It is about killing people just "because it's safer that way", and "because he is totally not innocent, and is working for our enemies, I just have a feeling, trust me, guys" (c) Lambchop19.

Jing killed people of questionable innocence before, but that was a part of a backstory, not our conscious desicion. I don't like where this is heading.

Yunzi is not the same, but if offing a man based on a simple risk assessment could be rationalized, I can't see how that couldn't be rationalized either.

Esquilax

Arcane
Again, you say it better than I ever could.:bro:

My thinking exactly - except for the fact that I'm not sure where everyone is getting that he's secretly Shun's man. Name one piece of solid evidence that would warrant the massive gamble above.

Whoops, didn't mean to imply that he's Shun's man. Jing recalls this person being Eunuch Li's man. Where it gets murky is that since we've been exiled from the palace for three years and he never gave a fuck about court politics to begin with, Jing has no idea whether Eunuch Li is an ally of Shun's or attempting to work covertly against him. What I had meant to say was that if Eunuch Li's interests are aligned with the Crown Prince's, then we can work together. I suppose he would be "Shun's man" loosely in that particular case in the sense that he is furthering the agenda of his superior, who is acting in support of Shun.

Honestly, from a moral standpoint, killing him is unacceptable, especially not without listening to what he has to say first. I don't want to risk killing an innocent man, no matter what. Even if he will jeopardize our mission in some way, that does NOT warrant a death sentence, let alone this situation where it's a 50/50 toss up that he's on our side.

Well, it's debatable how "innocent" he is - I don't think that a guy like this became an important guy in the Black Dragon Society by helping old ladies cross the street - but the real question is, how the fuck are we any better? I mean, Jing isn't really in position to judge. This guy is probably a loyal killer serving Grand Eunuch Li, who's intentions towards us are unknown, we're a loyal killer serving the Crown Prince. Yeah, all-in-all Jing is a fairly good guy I'd say, but we've both probably got some blood on our hands, not to mention that Jing's the disciple of the most brutal motherfucker in China.

This is like that thing those Masters were talking about...

Your master is a killer and a dangerous man, there is no doubt about that, but there is not one of us here who has not taken a life in the past. It is not our place to judge his way of martial arts.
“What the longwinded old fart means,” interrupts Qi, “is that everyone has their own path and we won't judge them outright without looking at the circumstances.

God help me, but I'm flopping to B. I guess I'm sentimental. I'm praying that this guy is on our side.

asxetos

Augur
You guys are trying too hard to guess the end-game and you keep seeing Shulgi everywhere.
Just stick to the fact at hand: a guy is on the floor dying from a ghost's kiss. Now, this guy might know that we were once the adjutant to the crown prince. In this case, he will also know that we were exiled from the palace. There is no way he could know we are still working for the prince. It might raise a few suspicions, but we can bluff our way out of it, since we are, in fact, just doing a quest to help the villagers with their ghost problem, like any half-decent pugilist would do. There is no need to kill him.

What could possibly go wrong?

Nevill

Arcane
We are at 14/13. We only need one last flop not to become a deplorable shadow of a bold and cheerful YOLO fighter we started this adventure with. That Jing wouldn't stoop to killing an old and withered man in his moment of weakness. He'd rather fight him head on if it would come to it.

He who fights with Theseuses might take care lest he thereby become Theseus.

ScubaV

Prophet
More like he who saves Theseus should look to it that he himself is not betrayed by Theseus in return.

The more you guys wring your hands and worry about poor innocent Xu Jing dirtying his hands, the more I hope A wins. Come on treave close them polls!

Edit: GOD DAMMIT NIM!

Nevill

Arcane
Hey, Ean lived through it, and became someone who would devour the Great Devourer himself. Say it wasn't awesome, I dare you.

And someone as noble as him shouldn't have messed with innocents like Ariadne in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom