Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I realise the choice is dangerous, if I was of a more practical mindset I would definitely opt for C.

Buuuut. I want to see ghost diplomacy. Because whilst I don't think its the best choice, I think it's the most interesting.

Esquilax

Arcane
I realise the choice is dangerous, if I was of a more practical mindset I would definitely opt for C.

Buuuut. I want to see ghost diplomacy. Because whilst I don't think its the best choice, I think it's the most interesting.

Dude, fuck that. What I find ultimately more interesting is not getting the shit kicked out of us every turn because we go through every choice like we have ADHD. There are going to be plenty of interesting options along the way, and setting ourselves up for success seems to provide us with more opportunities to do interesting things later.

Besides, the whole appeal of Jing is that he isn't a gentleman. :rpgcodex:

Baltika9

Arcane

I'm all for ghost diplomacy, but only once we reconnect with either Yu or the exorcist. As it stand right now, we are still an injured man that can't really run or fight and we know next to nothing about ghosts. I'd rather have someone watching our back in this.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
After doublechecking C, I'm no longer so sure which choice is the best. Going against our instincts seems like a very bad idea, considering that they have often been the only thing keeping Xu Jing alive.

If the ghost is really manipulating us, then it would expect us to commit to A, either because we are scared, or because we are horny, we would be expected to want to quietly spy on the source of the only noise occurring inside the house or steer clear of it.

Brazenly knocking on the door and going, yo, what's up? I don't think that would be anticipated. Given that past victims have been peasants from the local village, not exactly types known for their unending courage when alone, disoriented and frightened.

Baltika9

Arcane
Peasant types also are known for their intelligence, a lack of it. I suspect they did B, too scared and confused to do anything else but ask the person "living" here what is going on.

Esquilax

Arcane
After doublechecking C, I'm no longer so sure which choice is the best. Going against our instincts seems like a very bad idea, considering that they have often been the only thing keeping Xu Jing alive.

If the ghost is really manipulating us, then it would expect us to commit to A, either because we are scared, or because we are horny, we would want to quietly spy on the source of the only noise occurring inside the house.

Brazenly knocking on the door and going, yo, what's up? I don't think that would be anticipated. Given that past victims have been peasants from the local village, not exactly types known for their unending courage when alone, disoriented and frightened.

I would say that Jing's instincts haven't really been great at keeping him alive. Given that the kid has an invincibility complex and has overcome problems through sheer balls and improvisation, his sense of danger is actually quite terrible IMO. However, with the Reikan technique, our instincts are definitely sharper and I'm very reluctant to go against them as well. I could still flop to another choice, though. The ghost definitely wants us to interact with her, and I just don't think it's wise to do so completely on her terms, which is what B would entail.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Would a peasant take a peek inside the haunted bathroom? They'd be too scared to try.

Baltika9

Arcane
I think Esquilax was right with "the winning move is not to play." The ghost wants us to interact with it, so it is creating a situation where we have no choice, or think we have no choice, but to do it. Going for C, but can flop to A.
I would say that Jing's instincts haven't really been great at keeping him alive. Given that the kid has an invincibility complex and has overcome problems through sheer balls and improvisation, his sense of danger is actually quite terrible IMO.
What's funny about this situation is that, even next to a ghost, Jing doesn't feel nearly as terrified as when he met Master Zhang. What would our Master do, I wonder?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
C.
We should find our group before we do anything, especially since we are apart from ghost expert and who know what kind of
trouble scholarbro has gotten into. I don't like that we were being led to this room, which conventionally seems to be harmless and warm with bathing girl in it. Not to mention that only young men seems to be missing. We have some clues abou what might happened here, but still don't have any clear idea. I think it's best to stay away from possible ghosts until we have united with our group and have clearer idea what has happened here.

Kipeci

Arcane
C > B

Don't get involved, get away from this situation.

If we absolutely do have to bother contacting this stuff, then we should probably try to be less skeezy if possible.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A, you gigantic faggots. C sounds like jumping into the rift from the last lp. Probably a bad idea. I think this is all a dream or a memory anyway.

Kipeci

Arcane
On second thought, our character has been rather skeezy in that way many times throughout the LP and this 'gentleman' stuff coming out of nowhere probably means that his brain has been hijacked by ghosts.

Flopping to C > A.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Exactly. Or, to put it more accurately, B is him being a gigantic wuss, "Nope, I'm not scared! And to prove it, I will go and face the peril myself! Nope, not scared at all, not this man!" But I think you meant C>A.

Edit: treave, what would Zhang do in this situation?

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
C sounds like jumping into the rift from the last lp. Probably a bad idea. I think this is all a dream or a memory anyway.
Dude, I think you're right. This is a dream, Ean's dream inside the Sphere. You broke the secret of the setting. :salute:

Absinthe

Arcane
Rusty brown is the colour of dried blood. The fact that only young men are stolen away by this ghost seems to hint at a lover's quarrel considering the ghost we've just heard is a young woman bathing. I'm not so confident about that, but what I'm a bit more confident about is that some sort of murder-suicide happened here; the victim was cut open, blood splashing on the tattered cloths, then when the killer realized what they had done, they killed themselves. I also think Zhong Hai might have had a hand in this: he's an experienced exorcist who seemed really eccentric when we initially met him - knowing that the ghosts here go after young men, it's plausible that he used Jing and Yu as bait to draw them out.
I agree with this assessment.

Everything that we have encountered thus far has been designed to force us to act in a particular way. We wake up in a room that's completely bare save for a bed and a candle. When we take a path forward that leads us away from where the spirit humming a melody, we're greeted with thunder and creaking floorboards to make us rethink that idea. At the same time, the path that we came from is now covered in darkness. Whatever the intentions of these spirits are, it seems to depend on us doing what they want us to do:

In some cases, the only winning move is not to play, and this could be an example of that. I think that B is totally off the table here; I am not going to have a conversation with this thing, on its terms, without getting some information about what this particular spirit looks like. It wants to speak to us, but I am not going to meekly play into its hands.

Voting C, might flop to A
I don't know about depending here. It certainly wants us to act in a certain way, but with what we know about this ghost, angering her can end very badly. A will definitely piss off the ghost and I'm wary of C given our Spiritual Instinct warning us against that. Considering how possessed this mansion is, C will snub the ghost and lead into a maze or some other fucked up shit. If I had to guess, the previous guests to have arrived here have already tried A "lets spy on her and see if it's okay" and C "oh shit no I am not getting involved here byeeee" and failed. If the ghost wants us to interact with her, then doing so politely seems the safest option. With 5 Speech, I think our best weapon is politeness protocols. And we have talismans for defense. Besides, ghost diplomacy sounds fun.

On second thought, our character has been rather skeezy in that way many times throughout the LP and this 'gentleman' stuff coming out of nowhere probably means that his brain has been hijacked by ghosts.
That shouldn't be possible. Jing has anti-ghost talismans on him. While he probably can't lolimmune his way through the haunted mansion, he should be protected against that. Also, Jing is a principled person in his own way and he comes from the Palace. The idea that he might have gentlemanly compunctions against snooping on a girl taking a bath isn't strange at all.

C.
We should find our group before we do anything, especially since we are apart from ghost expert and who know what kind of
trouble scholarbro has gotten into. I don't like that we were being led to this room, which conventionally seems to be harmless and warm with bathing girl in it. Not to mention that only young men seems to be missing. We have some clues abou what might happened here, but still don't have any clear idea. I think it's best to stay away from possible ghosts until we have united with our group and have clearer idea what has happened here.
So we're in a haunted mansion, and you think the right decision is to step into total darkness and try to find your way? Our instincts are warning us against doing this, you know.

asxetos

Augur
Holy shit we decide to go for the ghost story and you guys want to vote C? :what:
Let's Be a gentleman (and totally not afraid, ofcourse).

Come on, this is a side-quest... what could possibly go wrong :P

Elfberserker

Liturgist
So we're in a haunted mansion, and you think the right decision is to step into total darkness and try to find your way? Our instincts are warning us against doing this, you know.

Of course our instincts warns us since we are in pretty supernatural area here. Lights goes out as we walk in shady corridor only to meet a bath room and further darkness. To our instincts girl is harmless after all the challenges we have done in past, but darkness is more alerting since we have witnessed some weird things here.

In one hand we have suspicious girl bathing in haunted mansion and on one hand we have darkness in haunted mansion, which our instincts warns us against. Peeking the girl might might draw ire of ghosts, speaking with the girl seems to play in ghost's hand, stepping into total darkness might lead us to greater danger or fuck up their plan a bit. I am arguing for looking for scholarbro or the priest. Either way we have ghost talisma to provide protection in all choices.

I might flop after thinking and seeing arguments here.

Baltika9

Arcane
Also, Jing is a principled person in his own way and he comes from the Palace. The idea that he might have gentlemanly compunctions against snooping on a girl taking a bath isn't strange at all.
Well, if he's willing to strip a young girl in front of a huge audience in the tournament and sleep with a married woman in her wedding bed, yeah, Jing's a total scoundrel and not at all gentlemanly. I'd honestly rather know more about this ghost prior too interacting with it, considering none of the previous men returned alive from here.

Sides, we don't see any other holes in the wall, do we now?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If the ghost is really manipulating us, then it would expect us to commit to A, either because we are scared, or because we are horny, we would be expected to want to quietly spy on the source of the only noise occurring inside the house or steer clear of it.

Brazenly knocking on the door and going, yo, what's up? I don't think that would be anticipated.
I think that B is exactly what the ghost would expect of us. How the hell anyone would get horny in a haunted house where the very curtains are drenched in blood? And any scared person would try to reaffirm that he is dealing with a living being, preferrably without actually looking inside.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
We should consider that the "ghost talisman" is complete bullshit, as well. I'm not sure either way, but it's hard to say whether it actually works or not at this point. And even if it is the real deal, how are we going to use it? Utilize our superb Throw 0 skill? If my theory that Zhong Hai is using us as bait is true, well, we probably don't have a fragment of the True Cross with us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom