Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tigranes

Arcane
That's one last thing - even if Yoshimitsu / blind man should survive, they will probably understand that we tried our best. They won't love us, but they wont' hate us and feel absolutely betrayed like the pugilists will - and rightly so. C would be in Zhang Jue territory in terms of dickish and fucked up and insane from their perspective.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tigranes said:
You think if we beat them all they'll graciously accept we were right?
No, if we beat them up it buys time for Wo people until we fix their situation, and it does not preclude fixing it in the first place.

Tigranes said:
All for a bunch of people we still don't know are 'the good guys' and no tangible benefit to our reputation or mission.
Define 'the good guys'. From what I've seen, these people are decent. And I don't know if the civvies need to be good for us to save them.
Out of these two groups, Wo and the pugilists, only Wo can be our allies in the long run. So, depending on what you consider our mission, this is one benefit - a clan of warriors that would be honorbound to fight for our cause, should we call upon them.

Tigranes said:
I simply don't see why so many peoplke are so sympathetic to the Wo.
Oh, I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with them having 200 non-combatants who will promptly get slaughtered if we don't intervene. That, and the fact that they at least can be reasoned with, unlike the other side.

Tigranes said:
The only way to make sure that the story gets out as "Jing tried his best to help" is D.
Right. 'Jing had conspired with the dirty foreigners against the government and tried to incite the pugilists to riot against the Emperor, but when he saw that there is no stopping the forces of righteousness, he betrayed the very same people whose cause he argued a moment earlier. He tried his best to help himself.'

Sorry, our 'good name' is already done for.

Kipeci said:
Chased where? Who would threaten us? You're saying that they'll turn running after we beat a few of the dudes if we out and out challenge them, yet if we fight on their own side they'll get rid of us with ease?
Why do they need to threaten us? What is there to do in a city where our name is mixed with dirt?
We are unwelcome here. They will not reward us, unless we intimidate them. But if you want to do so, why are you trying to curry favors with them?

Kipeci said:
So you think them getting a pardon would change public perception of our acts? That's laughable.
Laugh as you will. You argument is 'treason!'. I did not make it for you. If the pirates get pardoned, your argument is void.

Kipeci said:
I also want no part in spending the rest of our time that should be spent trying to recover the time-sensitive information we were given earlier to ask the emperor's son to publicly pardon pirates.
Ok, and I want a khandom.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm also sympathetic to the Wo, but not to the point where I risk huge chunks of our reputation, squishy flesh, etc. in B or C. The cost is too high for people we only got some snippets of stories about in the last few hours.

As for the 'good name' - not really, if we behead the enemy leader and distinguish ourselves in battle. What really matters in the end is that Xu Jing fought like a monster and was instrumental to victory.

Kipeci

Arcane
Why do they need to threaten us? What is there to do in a city where our name is mixed with dirt?
We are unwelcome here. They will not reward us, unless we intimidate them. But if you want to do so, why are you trying to curry favors with them?

They offered cash for participating in this, we will have taken the head guy's, well, head. Regardless of regrettable conduct on our part, we will be compensated without having to resort to threatening. We haven't gone so far as to attack their dudes or anything.

Laugh as you will. You argument is 'treason!'. I did not make it for you. If the pirates get pardoned, your argument is void.

Do you think Nixon's approval suddenly shot up when he got a presidential pardon? People will be very aware of what they've done wrong even if they've been forgiven for it, and it might actually damage the prince's legitimacy. Certainly, Japan won't appreciate this.

Ok, and I want a khandom.
That mission is overall priority along with Zhang's. These pirates aren't worth sacrificing one of our only leads.

Baltika9

Arcane
Certainly, Japan won't appreciate this.
Correction, the Taira Clan won't appreciate this. The reason the Minamoto were exiled is because of a succession dispute, which means Yoshimitsu (this is his new name, props to Tigranes. Gotta love the guy from Tekken) was pretty high in the succession ladder, otherwise they wouldn't really bother to do it.
It's the Heian period in Japan, which means these two are constantly at one another's throats for power. I don't know how close we are to the Gempei War between them, but a sudden shift in power that brings the Minamoto back to the forefront would mean we have a rather high standing with them.
Speculation about Japan, however, is a little too far away to be valid now.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Kipeci said:
How easy do you think it's going to make it to visit those people when they're expected to attack a traitor like us on sight? When a meeting with us can absolutely destroy their reputations and make people suspicious of them?
I dunno. In secret, like how they did it the first time?
Why are they expected to attack anyone on sight? Did they attack the Zoros, who are trying to annex the Empire?
This 'treason!' thing is between us and the Empire. They can get involved or not as they see fit.

Kipeci said:
He is a Chinese peasant, exactly like the groups that the one you're hoping to protect has been stabbing or leaving to starve. For all we know, he might have known personally people affected by this, and they're likely to count for more than blindly defending a bunch of pirates because the life of an exile is hard.
You are blowing it way out of proportions. Yes, the pirates are at fault, but they were not doing it out of malice, they are willing to stop, and they are willing to compensate for the damages (yes, I know that the people slighted by them will not accept it, but it satisfies the 'justice', as far as I am aware of). They are even willing to accept death penalty, provided that the situation will get resolved for their families, who did not participate in the raids, and are thus innoccent. They are way less evil/harmful than the regular bandits.

I expect Guo Fu to understand this.

Tigranes said:
As for the 'good name' - not really, if we behead the enemy leader and distinguish ourselves in battle. What really matters in the end is that Xu Jing fought like a monster and was instrumental to victory.
As far as they are aware, you are the one that warned them in the first place. How do you prove you were instrumental for their victory? They are sure they can win anyway, and your position is extremely weak after everything you've done.

Kipeci said:
They offered cash for participating in this, we will have taken the head guy's, well, head.
We did not participate like they did. Instead we ran off to the pirates with the daughter of the head honcho here, and tipped them off about the upcoming assault. The head is a part of our challenge with the Songfeng disciples, and is only related to our personal honor.
If you want to argue semantics, I'd like to say that we will be 'participating' in every choice. Are we entitled to a reward in all of them? Obvioulsy not.

Kipeci said:
People will be very aware of what they've done wrong even if they've been forgiven for it, and it might actually damage the prince's legitimacy.
The pugilists are perceived as being in the right because the Court approves of their actions. That was their final argument.
We show the people that it isn't so, and we were right all along. That will close the issue here.
The pirates are in the wrong, but they are not the only ones in the wrong here. They will be penalized as the prince sees fit. I hope they'll get fined with all the treasures they have. That would be the most humane solution that actually works to the benefit of the Empire as well.

Kipeci said:
Certainly, Japan won't appreciate this.
Fuck Japan.

Kipeci said:
That mission is overall priority along with Zhang's. These pirates aren't worth sacrificing one of our only leads.
What 'mission' are you talking about? What 'leads' are we sacrificing?

Baltika9

Arcane
(I haven't had the time to read the last few pages carefully, so if I'm missing any big thing that has become consensus, hit me on the head)
About those, a little while ago I brought up the point that the rep we et from this will open up a lot of interesting doors in the darker side of the unorthodox world, such as giving us ticket into the Black Dragon Society where Shun's attempted assassin/kidnapper is, and doors into the rebels and dissidents of the Empire (how I wish some of them will be Tang-era commies). We can use the Ninja skills we learn (I doubt that the blind uncle can teach us only stealth, the dude also seems to have great grappling skills and resistance, exactly what we need against meat tanks like Guo Fu and Master Zhang; and obviously he knows how to use blades) to impress the BDS without earning any bad will by breaking their faces.

Nevill

Arcane
Elfberserker said:
What about families in orthodox sides? Sure they know the tongue and have families, but it would suck to hear their children lose their father or mother just because some unorthodox jerk decided to sympathize with foreign pirates.
The families on the orthodox side are not the ones facing death right now. This is a fallacious argument. If the pugilists do not want to leave their wives without husbands and their children without fathers, all they need is to turn back. What can Wo families do to save themselves?

Elfberserker said:
We also prevent massacre of women and children, giving them still a fighting chance which is still a better than no chance at all.
Funny, nobody said how they are going to do it yet. That is just sweet talking your conscience into sleeping.

You want to cut your losses and give Wo people a chance, A is the way to go. Wash your hands from this and go away.
Siding with the pugilists is just not worth it.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Elfberserker said:
What about families in orthodox sides? Sure they know the tongue and have families, but it would suck to hear their children lose their father or mother just because some unorthodox jerk decided to sympathize with foreign pirates.
The families on the orthodox side are not the ones facing death right now. This is a fallacious argument. If the pugilists do not want to leave their wives without husbands and their children without fathers, all they need is to turn back. What can Wo families do to save themselves?
Surrender utterly? All he offered was his own head, not his people's surrender. This would-be pirate king already gave their reason for not surrendering - they are comfortable as pirates. It's too hard for them not to be pirates, so they choose to continue regardless of the consequences. Yes, the one's who were active in piracy would be probably executed, but it IS a crime and I don't doubt they've killed at least one person by now.

Nevill

Arcane
Lambchop19 said:
This would-be pirate king alreay gave their reason for not surrendering - they are comfortable as pirates.
Care to provide the actual quote? Because, you know, once you actually read it, you might get a different look on the situation.

Yoshimitsu (love the name, too) is saying that he does not go into the mainland because he doesn't have the necessary supplies AND because there is no guarantee that they will find a suitable place, so why leave the one that was given to them?

They AREN'T pirating because they are comfortable with it. They do not have food, and have no other means of procuring it.

If their men surrender utterly, what happens? Will the food magically appear? I repeat, what can Wo families do to save themselves?

Esquilax

Arcane
We came here to kill pirates. Let's kill the pirates already.

Well maybe the situation just got a bit more complicated than simply grinding trash mobs for XP and rep. Clearly there's a bigger picture here involving factions of the Imperial Court:

“Oh, did they?” It must have been taught to you in your studies. In fact, you recall hearing something like this, now that Yu has jogged your memory, but the details do not come to you. “If that is the case, the prefect should be dealing with it, or should have submitted a report to the Court for action. Why is he not here, with a Tang fleet to subjugate a single band of pirates? We do have a navy and it has not seen any action in… what, a century?”

“I wouldn’t know about that. It could be that he is in league with the pirates somehow,” conjectures Xiahou Yu. “It’s a wild guess, but the other alternatives don’t make him look much better.”

You nod. “Incompetence. Why he isn’t helping isn’t that important right now anyway, since the sects are taking matters into their own hands.”

“Now,” says Zhou more loudly, apparently distracted by your whispers with Yu. “The government will not aid us in this venture. The prefect has sent a letter detailing his approval of our actions and his gratitude, but there will be no money or ships forthcoming.”
“This problem must be solved, and solved decisively. When the grass is cut the roots must be plucked. The Imperial Court has expressed their desire to clean up the coast and free the people from the plague of piracy. Though they are not able or willing to do it directly, as loyal subjects the orthodox sects are more than willing to do it on the Emperor’s behalf. I am afraid this can only end in one way.”

Whatever is behind this assault, it's dirty. I knew that there was something slimy going on the moment that Zhou Dingqui wasn't even content with Yorimitsu giving himself up for execution and offering his people a chance to surrender. Turning around and siding with the pugilists at this point strikes me as wishy-washy bullshit. Yes, we will have completed the terms of our challenge with D, but that's a separate matter altogether that's unrelated to the mission at hand. Given our actions thus far, the Zhou Clan and the pugilists allied with them with them will never truly respect or trust us; however, we have a great opportunity to build bridges with the Minamoto given that (a) we were willing to hear them out and we've tried helping them, and (b) they are desperate for friends. Even better, Yoriwaka seems to be a master of stealth and they are probably far more skilled as martial artists than the pugilists assembled here. We would be better off sticking with the Minamoto given our own less-than-stellar reputation, no question about it.

Sigh. So all that about A2 getting us a Grand Bargain, right? Tits up.

We're in deep shit, because the negotiation's about to go down in a fire and we haven't managed to build any significant leverage with any party, and we don't have any aces up the sleeve. It's hard for me to see how B could work. First we take the girl hostage, which makes everybody on the pugilist side even more furious with us and basically confirm their theories that we're in cahoots with the Wo, then we challenge all of them to combat. You think if we beat them all they'll graciously accept we were right? Basically what B does - B means we effectively become the official negotiator for the Wo who concludes negotiations by beating all of them up. All for a bunch of people we still don't know are 'the good guys' and no tangible benefit to our reputation or mission. By the same token I'm not happy with C. I simply don't see why so many peoplke are so sympathetic to the Wo. Either we think they're the bee's knees and fight on their side with everything to lose, or, ironically, we love the pugilists so much we're willing to make ourselves the Worst Ever to save themselves from death. Neither I feel is relevant to Jing and even remotely sensible.

There are only two real options here. Either we cut our losses with A, because we've fucked up - sometimes because we had no way of knowing, sometimes because we made bad choices - and there are no remotely decent outcomes to getting involved. Or, if we still want to see it through, we go with D, and join the pugilists again - because then one way or the other the affair will be concluded, and the pugilist deaths during the fighting hopefully won't be blamed on us because we worked hard on their side. The only way to make sure that the story gets out as "Jing tried his best to help" is D; with B or C, what happens is "Jing is treacherous, regularly consorts with non-Han weirdos, kidnaps people, etc, etc."

We all knew going in that the chances of solving this crisis without putting our body on the line at all was very slim. Everyone here going "Told ya so!" isn't really providing any insight that wasn't there prior to this. A2 voters were simply saying "well, this isn't very good, but it's still better than trying to fight the ninja and Yorimitsu's guards/letting the fight happen without at least giving diplomacy a chance."

As for no tangible benefit to our reputation - are you kidding me? Repelling an assault single-handedly will stake our rep as a dangerous motherfucker. Good rep, bad rep, that doesn't matter; for the purposes of our challenge, what matters most is big rep. Zhang Jue and Wang Zhengchong might have very different types of reputation, but there is no doubt that both men are massively feared and revered, respectively. They both have "big rep" for very different reasons. Now, I'm not denying that this move won't make us a hated pariah among the respectable elements of society, but Zhang Jue's apprentice was never really respectable to begin with.

As for who the "good guys" are here, that is very much up in the air. The Minamoto Clan have caused trouble before, but my sympathies for the pugilist side have diminished:

“Your oaths have no value to us, Wo,” says Zhou Dingqiu. “This problem must be solved, and solved decisively. When the grass is cut the roots must be plucked. The Imperial Court has expressed their desire to clean up the coast and free the people from the plague of piracy. Though they are not able or willing to do it directly, as loyal subjects the orthodox sects are more than willing to do it on the Emperor’s behalf. I am afraid this can only end in one way.”

Their leader has just offered to surrender, yet still they are not content with this. If we go with D, it isn't a "we tried our best" story, because nevertheless we're still the guy that killed their leader, whatever our motivations happened to be. We still set in motion the events that led to the destruction of their clan, regardless of intent - these people aren't mind-readers, they aren't going to think that it's okay that we killed Yorimitsu in some sort of bizarre ploy to save the rest of the clan, they are just going to think that we are a ruthless opportunist who decided to jump ship. And it's really debatable if we're going to be able to stop an assault on the Minamoto womenfolk and children; the pugilists here have taken an aggressive stance and I don't think they'll be satisfied unless they've managed to kill most of the people here. That isn't "we tried our best" scenario, that's a massacre.

Now, I am arguing for B, but how would we pull such a thing off? Keep in mind that most of these pugilists are inexperienced and unaccustomed to the psychological stresses of deadly combat, which is our specialty. Our best bet here is to use this advantage to force them to break psychologically and retreat. We don't have the END to withstand a prolonged fight (all-on-one is better then taking them on one-at-a-time) so our best bet is to use our lethal techniques to terrorize them and break their morale. It won't be easy, and we will get hurt in the process (in a best-case scenario), but I think that this bears repeating:

The more close shaves you get into and survive, the faster you learn. That's how your unorthodox life is going to be.

Zhang put this challenge up in large part so we could figure shit out ourselves. A is acceptable (I understand why we'd want to bow out now), but C gives us a traitorous reputation with none of the infamy that comes with holding off a force of pugilists single-handed, and D just means acquiescing to a faction that won't respect or reward our efforts given that we've been undermining them thus far. We should be working towards utilizing our bad reputation to our advantage instead of trying to be something we're not.

B, but I might flop to A if I hear some decent arguments.

Nevill

Arcane
This choice would've been so much easier if only Yoshimitsu had a decent-looking sister, really.

Lambchop19 said:
This would-be pirate king alreay gave their reason for not surrendering - they are comfortable as pirates.
Care to provide the actual quote? Because, you know, once you actually read it, you might get a different look on the situation.

Oh, eat me.
“I have considered that option, but there are two problems standing in the way. Firstly, after so many months we have yet to identify a suitable location nearby on the mainland. None of the villages will take us in – we have tried, and failed, to even trade with them, before resorting to raids. I am afraid foreigners are not very welcomed here. The city’s market is different, but no less useless to us – there are powerful merchants linked to the prefect that have barred us from trading. Understandable, as some of them do business in my home country and they would not want to incur the displeasure of the Taira. Secondly, if we were to venture further inland, we would not have the supplies necessary to make the long march. I hear that bandits are rife upon the roads, and the total number of women, children and elderly I have to protect number nearly two hundred. Why would I risk the lives of my people when we have begun getting comfortable here?” declares Yorimitsu.
Yes, he's given a lot of very good reasons (excuses), but the fact remains, this is were the are getting comfortable - as pirates on an island. Getting comfortable should be the furthest thing from his mind. He is being attacked in force by the mainland for his repeated acts of piracy. He is making his people more unwelcome here than in Japan. Risk their lives? He's doing that just by continuing this piracy, as proven by the bloodthirstiness of the pugilists' current plans. His lack of resolve in finding other solutions and merely offering his head as a quick fix smacks of laziness - self-sacrificial as hell laziness, but laziness nonetheless. Traders won't trade with you directly? Find a middleman to trade for you in secret. Worried about bandits? You are frick'n pirates and you are about to defend yourselves and all your people from an armed invasion and you are worried about roadside bandits? Sure.

edt: In answer to your question, utter surrender. As I said. Can't we just contact Shun and have him arrange for the survivors to be taken in by a village?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
He was talking in a context of a place to settle. Don't put words in his mouth he did not speak.

He can not do anything else. There is no place to settle nearby, and there are no supplies to travel further. This is all what me meant.

The rest is just you trying to show his words in a certain light.

He was talking in a context of a place to settle. Don't put words in his mouth he did not speak.

He can not do anything else. There is no place to settle nearby, and there are no supplies to travel further. This is all what me meant.

The rest is just you trying to show his words in a certain light.
The words he said were indicative of how he views the situation. He said they were getting comfortable there. No two ways about it.

You don't know there are no places to settle. Only that he has given up on finding other places to settle. His words are convincing because he's convinced himself, given up, and decided to get his people comfortable here - even in spite of the fact that doing so puts them in mortal danger. Irresponsible and lazy.

Nevill

Arcane
In answer to your question, utter surrender. As I said. Can't we just contact Shun and have him arrange for the survivors to be taken in by a village?
We can, but a) there need to be survivors to begin with (who will promise them lives if the men surrender? you? what will they be doing until you get in contact with Shun?) b) we need to contact Shun about it, which is some of you are arguing against. If we need to involve Shun in this, why can't we have him handle the whole situation by himself?

Because I am pretty sure he wouldn't want Yoshimitsu and the others from his clan executed, it's just a waste.

I am sure if there was a way for the pirates to save their families by sacrificing their lives, they would have accepted it.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Lambchop19 said:
You don't know there are no places to settle. Only that he has given up on finding other places to settle. His words are convincing because he's convinced himself, given up, and decided to get his people comfortable here - even in spite of the fact that doing so puts them in mortal danger. Irresponsible and lazy.
Hello?
Firstly, after so many months we have yet to identify a suitable location nearby on the mainland. [...] Secondly, if we were to venture further inland, we would not have the supplies necessary to make the long march.
If after many months of searching they haven't found a place, it is safe to say there isn't one nearby.
It is easy to say that he had given up, but you don't know there is a place for them to settle, either. You don't even know that he had given up! They have yet to identify the location - nothing here suggests that they have stopped trying.

You are trying to twist his words to make your interpretation work. What are their alternatives for you to you call them lazy?

who will promise them lives if the men surrender? you? what will they be doing until you get in contact with Shun?
Well, they haven't even tried surrender. For all we know Z would be generous to them. Of course, we won't find out because our pirate leader here isn't willing to try.
we need to contact Shun about it, which is some of you are arguing against. If we need to involve Shun in this, why can't we have him handle the whole situation by himself?
I dunno. Weren't you the one that suggested involving him to begin with back during the last choice?
I am sure if there was a way fro the pirates to save their families by sacrificing their lives, they would have accepted it.
Yeah, because there's no way they could be following their leader's decisions...oh, wait...they are and their leader isn't considering that option at all.
Dude, AGAIN, that's what he's SAYING. Don't make him right, just convinced enough by his own excuses to stop trying.

Baltika9

Arcane
Skimmed the update, I see:
“The pirates have broken the law, and caused suffering,” he replies. “That is the truth. For these foreigners to come to our land and pillage our property is inexcusable, no matter what reasons they may have. This is not their country.”

“Down with the foreign devils!” shouts a Songfeng disciple that you mark and decide will go down first when the fighting starts.

“Will matters be solved with just my life alone?” To your surprise, Yorimitsu appears, stepping out of the darkness in full battle regalia. His uncle does not seem to be anywhere nearby, but you have no doubt that the man is watching and ready to strike. Unexpected things are happening faster than you can respond; this is not what you had in mind. “I am Yorimitsu of the Minamoto, leader of my people on this island. The responsibility is mine to bear. If I fall here, will you judge justice served?”

“Why would that be, young man?” snorts Master Gong. “We have no guarantee your people will not continue to pirate. Who would trust the word of a pirate?”

“Not even if I lay down my life to bind an oath?”

“Your oaths have no value to us, Wo,” says Zhou Dingqiu. “This problem must be solved, and solved decisively. When the grass is cut the roots must be plucked.
The Imperial Court has expressed their desire to clean up the coast and free the people from the plague of piracy. Though they are not able or willing to do it directly, as loyal subjects the orthodox sects are more than willing to do it on the Emperor’s behalf. I am afraid this can only end in one way.”

“Is that so?” murmurs Yorimitsu, his hand laid on his sword. The crowd tenses. You rather suspect arrows will begin flying at any moment.
Yoshimitsu just offered to lay his life down, but Master Zhou refused. Fuck these guys, it's the glory, money and booties they're after.

Anabanana

Augur
“Your oaths have no value to us, Wo,” says Zhou Dingqiu. “This problem must be solved, and solved decisively. When the grass is cut the roots must be plucked. The Imperial Court has expressed their desire to clean up the coast and free the people from the plague of piracy. Though they are not able or willing to do it directly, as loyal subjects the orthodox sects are more than willing to do it on the Emperor’s behalf. I am afraid this can only end in one way.”
And it's really debatable if we're going to be able to stop an assault on the Minamoto womenfolk and children; the pugilists here have taken an aggressive stance and I don't think they'll be satisfied unless they've managed to kill most of the people here. That isn't "we tried our best" scenario, that's a massacre.

I agree. The "cut the grass, destroy the roots" quote in particular strongly implies that they want to get rid of every single individual on this island, pirate and civvie alike. And it's even explicitly stated in the choice for D.

D. You decide to fight alongside the pugilists, turning on Yorimitsu and taking his head. You are close enough to do so quickly, before any intervention can happen. This is for the best – with a brutal show of force, if you are on the side of the pugilists, you could at least prevent an outright massacre from happening when they descend upon his womenfolk and children.

You know what this means? This means you have a mob set on massacring everybody, including the women and children, and you're going to try and stop them from plucking out what they see as the roots for further piracy and rebellion. D isn't going to leave your rep completely unscathed either. In fact, it seems like it's pretty much going to be a repeat of B, if your "show of force" doesn't intimidate them completely, but without Yoshimitsu and the archers as backup.

who will promise them lives if the men surrender? you? what will they be doing until you get in contact with Shun?
Well, they haven't even tried surrender. For all we know Z would be generous to them. Of course, we won't find out because our pirate leader here isn't willing to try.

Uh... he kinda already offered up his own life. You know, the head of the pirate leader? But of course Zhou won't accept anything less than a complete massacre. Like I said above, Zhou wants to kill everybody including women and children. Wouldn't it be inconvenient if they left them stranded on a rock, and the women and children had to resort to piracy or starve?

Nevill

Arcane
Lambchop19 said:
Lambchop19 said:
Yeah, because there's no way they could be following their leader's decisions...oh, wait...they are and their leader isn't considering that option at all.
Their leader did offer his life as a sacrifice. It didn't pan out.

Bottom line is, they aren't surrendering if there is no promise that their families would survive, and there isn't one. Demanding that they give up to save their loved ones without a guarantee of any sort is hypocritical. Their families will die without them if nothing is done about their situation, that's what they know for certain.

Lambchop19 said:
I dunno. Weren't you the one that suggested involving him to begin with back during the last choice?
Welcome to B camp, then. Shun will sort this out. For now, we must stop the massacre.

Uh... he kinda already offered up his own life. You know, the head of the pirate leader? But of course Zhou won't accept anything less than a complete massacre. Like I said above, Zhou wants to kill everybody including women and children. Wouldn't it be inconvenient if they left them stranded on a rock, and the women and children had to resort to piracy or starve?
His life isn't his people's surrender. Even without a him as leader, his people could still continue to pirate for all Zhou knows. Also, the choice you quoted implies that we will be able to STOP them from doing so in D.

edit: not that any of this matters as B is a lock.... :lol:

Absinthe

Arcane
Frankly, I don't like what treave pulled in this update. I would reckon that Jing, the girl, and the scholar should've actually collaborated on a plan for persuasion. Instead that got sidestepped and all of a sudden the scholar in the middle of fucking pirate island somehow gets enough liquor to get wasted and ruin diplo while the girl demonstrates a serious lack of good timing. It's like the three of them came together, decided there's something really big they needed to accomplish, and just nodded instead of coming up with any ideas.

Here is what I don't like about voting A:
We just tanked our reputation, now we get a worse reputation for leaving, and if Yoshimitsu loses his head (which he is way too eager to stick out on a silver platter) we lose the challenge to boot. To top it off we will probably get blamed for the loss the sects are about to face, and if word gets out about our reward from the pirates, then well...

Here is what I don't like about voting C:
We get fucking hated by the orthodox community and the law. We basically become a pirate as far as they're concerned.

Here is what I don't like about voting D:
Jing cannot handle ranged combat or ninja(s). And I still don't see how the sects are going to win this. Plus, we're putting the girl and scholar in danger.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
His life isn't his people's surrender. Even without a him as leader, his people could still continue to pirate for all Zhou knows. Also, the choice you quoted implies that we will be able to STOP them from doing so in D.

edit: not that any of this matters as B is a lock.... :lol:
Sadly, or fortunately, Yoshimitsu is too loyal and stubborn a leader for that to happen. Any of his men dying is unacceptable for him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom