Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Well, I think I'm still going with C. At least if we don't need to look after the scholar we can tell him to make the girl his priority while we take out the pirates. That's a better chance than she had yesterday.

But I could be persuaded to go with A if I knew what the plan was. Clearly trying to talk to the pirates like the girl intends to is not going to work. But maybe we can keep the stupid girl out of the picture and tell our scholar to keep an eye on her while we scout the island and if possible get her friend out before we start playing Rambo with the pirates. So, what is the plan?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baltika9 said:
Should Jing be condemned for becoming Zhang's apprentice to save Master Yao and Cao'er?
No, but he should be condemned for murdering people on the streets. Except he doesn't do it.
Look, these pirates have earned what is coming to them. The girl is a pirate. Simple as that.

Baltika9 said:
Really, what is up with this moralfaggotry?
'Hurr-durr, pirates and bandits are cool dudes, let's go be friends with them.'

Baltika9

Arcane
And yet, Jing is the perfect testament that not everyone is as they seem. Just look at what was expected of our behavior as Zhang's apprentice and how we actually acted. I don't mean to be a dick about it, but you are building one strawman after the next. There are reasons to not go A, but "morality!" isn't one of them. It's exactly the thing Jing would want yo do, help a gutsy hot babe rescue her friend from a pirate den, all in the meanwhile setting up a sabotage/trolling the pirates and being charmingly tsundere.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
When I said you don't need to worry about the scholar, that's all I meant. You don't need to worry about him.

Doesn't mean he can help you not worry about other people. :lol:

Esquilax

Arcane
But I could be persuaded to go with A if I knew what the plan was. Clearly trying to talk to the pirates like the girl intends to is not going to work. But maybe we can keep the stupid girl out of the picture and tell our scholar to keep an eye on her while we scout the island and if possible get her friend out before we start playing Rambo with the pirates. So, what is the plan?

Well, the gist of it is outlined here:

You agree and go along with her to meet the pirates before the mission begins. It will be extremely risky, but it will give you the chance to turn adversity into opportunity. You can decide what to do with the pirates after you set foot on the island – this will give you a headstart on the other pugilists anyway.

Yu speaks their language with some basic level of proficiency, so we can arrange a meeting with their leader. We can then use Qilin's poison to incapacitate him and take the ship by surprise. The mooks are probably not very tough, but their leader could pose a big threat, which is why the poison acts as the ace up our sleeve. Once that's done, we can get Miss Zhou to guide us to her friend/husband from there.

I am sure that things will be subject to change once we get there, my point is that I believe that we have the martial arts skill, the lethal techniques and the resources to pull this off.

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
There are reasons to not go A, but "morality!" isn't one of them. It's exactly the thing Jing would want yo do, help a gutsy hot babe rescue her friend from a pirate den
'Help a dumb spoiled kid with her dumb plan, while putting the whole expedition at risk', more likely.

I don't know where you get the impression that 'morality' is my main objection here. You try to spin it as us being morally obligated to help a damsel in distress, and that it would be a dick (as in 'morally wrong') move to turn her in to her father. I say that we are under no such obligation.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's the UNBRO thing to do. That's ten times worse than being a dick.

But seriously, it doesn't put success at risk if we play our cards right and sabotage the pirates during our visit. Esquilax's plan is a good one, I like it. Or we could spike them with laxatives. Maybe prepare a few strategic oil spills to light them up once the main forxe lands. Point is, A lets us prepare an excellent troll mabeuver for tomorrow and I say we take it with both hands.

Getting the favor of the girl is just a nice bonus.

Nevill

Arcane
Yu speaks their language with some basic level of proficiency, so we can arrange a meeting with their leader. Yu speaks their language with some basic level of proficiency, so we can arrange a meeting with their leader.
If we are meeting them on their turf, it is much more likely that their leader will demand us to come to him. What ship you are going to take then?

What if the husband of the girl we want to save turns out to be one of the mooks? That would be an awkward moment.

Baltika9

Arcane
What if Lei Shen, the Thunder God, decides to fuck with us and sinks our boat?

Nevill

Arcane
Hey, this particular 'what if' is a perfectly good conjencture here. Her husband if one of the pirates, we know that much, as opposed to the existence of Lei Shen. How would you take care of not killing him, and what are you going to do if you do?

Baltika9

Arcane
Punch him in the face. Then get his wife off the island, we were only asked to help her. If we can't use our boat, we can use one of the pirates'. They can complain to our Shouwang Claws if they so desire.
And if spirits exist, then Lei Shen definitely does.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
If we are meeting them on their turf, it is much more likely that their leader will demand us to come to him. What ship you are going to take then?

What if the husband of the girl we want to save turns out to be one of the mooks? That would be an awkward moment.

How the fuck should I know? We aren't even there yet, it's not like we can plan things down to every minute detail like that. My point is that we have the broad strokes of a plan outlined: (1) establish contact with Yu's language skills, (2) poison their leader to neutralize the biggest threat among the pirates (3) search for Miss Zhou's friend and her husband.

I don't know where we'll be meeting, which particular pirate is her husband, or any of that. But I know that we have a skillset that's perfect for a lethal mission, an extremely smart and perceptive BRO with us, and a very powerful poison to tip the odds in our favour. That's enough to fill me with some measure of confidence here. If that's not enough to convince you, then I suppose nothing is, and we'll agree to disagree.

We somehow managed to avoid killing any of our opponents in the tournament, I think we can manage here so long as we're careful.

Well, the gist of it is outlined here:
You agree and go along with her to meet the pirates before the mission begins. It will be extremely risky, but it will give you the chance to turn adversity into opportunity. You can decide what to do with the pirates after you set foot on the island – this will give you a headstart on the other pugilists anyway.

Yu speaks their language with some basic level of proficiency, so we can arrange a meeting with their leader. We can then use Qilin's poison to incapacitate him and take the ship by surprise. The mooks are probably not very tough, but their leader could pose a big threat, which is why the poison acts as the ace up our sleeve. Once that's done, we can get Miss Zhou to guide us to her friend/husband from there.

That's... not exactly the plan I am looking for to. We start off with warning them about an attack - not good. If for some reason we can't pull off our plan perfectly it would leave the assault team in a world of trouble or might make the pirate just pack up and leave before they even get there. Either way we would pretty much destroy whatever good reputation we might have. Too risky by far. What if can’t spike his drink? What if the girl or the scholar are used as a hostage against us? Would we be able to take out the other pirates before they retreat with their ships?

If we are going there it would be much better to start off by removing that pest of a girl from the picture. Maybe use some of the poison (or laxatives) on her, then send her right back with our scholar to look after her while we play a guerilla game. Start by putting a torch to the ships so that they can't retreat. Then while they are busy with that kill their leaders and while they are running around like headless chickens find the girl, incapacitate and hide her somewhere. Then wait for the assault team or start picking them all one by one. That way even if we can't pull it all off at least we wouldn't actually told them about the attack.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
How the fuck should I know? We aren't even there yet, it's not like we can plan things down to every minute detail like that.
Fair enough. I still think we have more chances if we knock out the girl and go full-steath. Still, there is too much shit to do - kill the leader, save the girl we came her and her husband (we don't need to do the last one, but it'll help), protect our employer, and watch the back of our Scholarbro.

I'd much rather go there for the head of the leader alone.

Edit: What Zero Credibility says. If that will be our plan behind A, I am all for it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Alright, how are you going to find him in the chaos before Songfeng does?

Also, we need not be worried about Scholarbro or the husband.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
See, this is the point where I realize something wasn't conveyed properly. Under no circumstances in A does she plan to go there to outright tell them about the attack. She just wants to get her friend off the island. However, by doing so this has a high chance of tipping the pirates off that something is going on, depending on how smart/paranoid they are and hence 'basically a warning'. She is willing to risk the pirates possibly getting suspicious and being on guard to get her friend to safety. She's not going there to sell all the plans for the attack to the pirates.

Nevill

Arcane
Also, we need not be worried about Scholarbro.
Does it mean we can throw him before the enemy army and expect him to survive because treave said not to worry? The odds are going to be overwhelming if we go there without a backup.

Alright, how are you going to find him in the chaos before Songfeng does?
Look for a man who is barking up orders. They'll need them once the ships start burning.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Does it mean we can throw him before the enemy army and expect him to survive because treave said not to worry? The odds are going to be overwhelming.

Actually...

Well, anyway, I stand by my previous statement. :lol:

There's no need to worry about him.

But of course you shouldn't be counting on him to be a substantial fighting force.

Baltika9

Arcane
I knew it, alcohol solves everything.
Does it mean we can throw him before the enemy army and expect him to survive because treave said not to worry? The odds are going to be overwhelming if we go there without a backup.

Look for a man who is barking up orders. They'll need them once the ships start burning.
Or he has subordinate leadership that will also be barking orders. Good luck pickimg him out on unknown soil.

Esquilax

Arcane
That's... not exactly the plan I am looking for to. We start off with warning them about an attack - not good. If for some reason we can't pull off our plan perfectly it would leave the assault team in a world of trouble or might make the pirate just pack up and leave before they even get there. Either way we would pretty much destroy whatever good reputation we might have. Too risky by far. What if can’t spike his drink? What if the girl or the scholar are used as a hostage against us? Would we be able to take out the other pirates before they retreat with their ships?

If we are going there it would be much better to start off by removing that pest of a girl from the picture. Maybe use some of the poison (or laxatives) on her, then send her right back with our scholar to look after her while we play a guerilla game. Start by putting a torch to the ships so that they can't retreat. Then while they are busy with that kill their leaders and while they are running around like headless chickens find the girl, incapacitate and hide her somewhere. Then wait for the assault team or start picking them all one by one. That way even if we can't pull it all off at least we wouldn't actually told them about the attack.

I can't pinpoint the exact specifics of how exactly we're going to go about executing A because we aren't even there yet.

What if we can't do x, what if we can't do y? I don't fucking know, man. It's a risk and it depends on whether you think it's worth it and whether we can actually do it. I can think of possible plans that might conceivably work if we go through with A (yours sounds just fine as well), but I can't really answer any of your hypotheticals because all of these plans will turn to dust once we face the reality of the situation and things become more illuminated.

It's as simple as this; if you believe we can pull this off, and are gunning for glory, fame and another addition to our wonderful harem, go with A. If you are a giant faggot bit more cautious and don't want to risk things, go with C. I believe that we can make this work, and I like the potential for glory and having yet another lady serving us. I also think that this is exciting as fuck and the entire reason that people voted for the pirate option in the first place (which btw, I was against).

That's pretty much my motivation here.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
A.

See, this is the point where I realize something wasn't conveyed properly. Under no circumstances in A does she plan to go there to outright tell them about the attack. She just wants to get her friend off the island. However, by doing so this has a high chance of tipping the pirates off that something is going on, depending on how smart/paranoid they are and hence 'basically a warning'. She is willing to risk the pirates possibly getting suspicious and being on guard to get her friend to safety. She's not going there to sell all the plans for the attack to the pirates.

This seals it. If Jing handles the talking then we have decent chance to not warn pirates.

Nevill

Arcane
treave, how many pugilists are there that are going to participate in the raid?

And, since we know we outnumber the pirates, what is the estimate for their numbers?

Nevill

Arcane
This seals it. If Jing handles the talking then we have decent chance to not warn pirates.
So... are you going to go there, take the girl with you, and just leave to return on the next day?

Because I am pretty sure if you try to attack their leader (as I thought getting a headstart on the pugilists was the goal here), that counts as a warning.

Well OK, here's my position on things. If the plan involves talking with the pirates in any way, fuck it. No way - I'm going with C. Our character has exactly three strengths: killing, stealth and talking. Talking isn't going to work here. Our interpreter barely knows the language and we have nothing to offer them besides the info on the attack and our asses. And by meeting them we also remove our stealth advantage.

If A on the other hand involves us using the surprise to attempt to cripple the pirates while also looking for the girl, then I'm going with A. Especially if we can keep the girl and maybe our scholar as well out of the picture. Every plan falls apart when you come in contact with the enemy, sure. But that doesn't mean you don't need one, preferably with contingencies in place. We can't just make things up as we go every time.

treave, what exactly would A involve? Would we get another choice when we hit the shore on how to proceed or what? Or is the girl planing to approach the island openly so that surprise is out of the picture?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, how many pugilists are there that are going to participate in the raid?

And, since we know we outnumber the pirates, what is the estimate for their numbers?

Right, numbers. There are 122 combatants on the pugilist side, with the Zhou clan contributing the most manpower with 40 fighters.

The pirates are estimated to number less than a hundred based off reports from the villages; though they only see a dozen or so raiders at any one time, they have hit multiple places simultaneously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom