Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It could be said that the Emperor didn't know the sheer extent of the misfortune that follows the child around until it was too late. And of course, that can be used as the starting point of a particular type of story, where the child is deemed unwanted, a poor investment, and the eunuchs take him out back to murder him.

But yeah, about 2 gives the character noticeable personal misfortune. Not on the level of it raining every time you want to go out, but close.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Pig Adjutant. Pig helps mitigate our luck penalty, leaving us with a slightly misfortune and sluggish but both bright, tough and strong.

Though I'm also tempted to go full Lu Bu, in which case a Goat/Rat (the guy was foolish but not a drooling retard) Farmer might be in order.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'd rather we didn't start so close to the halls of power. A lot of the games we've done so far have been very politically oriented. Let's be gutter-dwellers for a while. Adjutant to me feels a bit too much like Ean 2.0

oscar

Arcane
Aye, agreed

Pig Farmer (+2 Strength, +3 Endurance, +2 Luck, -2 Intelligence, -2 Agility)

I don't like that -3 to intelligence from farmer background. Sure, retard dialogue can be fun in Fallout or Arcanum, but it is not that fun. If the goal is to start with lower status a rogue would be a better choice (and he starts with one more stat point more than any other background).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1 more stat point? ... I missed that. Whoops. *edit*

Just pretend you didn't see that luck point. :balance:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm... save a fox spirit and get a lucky charm... or you could gain the blessings of the gods by performing the proper rituals. Just some of the ways that it's possible. But the supernatural aspect of the world won't be easy to find. The setting will be rather grounded in the first few chapters - or at least as grounded as it can be with people jumping from treetop to treetop and dueling with their qi.

8 Luck is already plenty, though.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'd rather we didn't start so close to the halls of power. A lot of the games we've done so far have been very politically oriented. Let's be gutter-dwellers for a while. Adjutant to me feels a bit too much like Ean 2.0

It does a bit, doesn't it? You make a good point, but honestly, the background really piqued my interest because I want to know now why the Emperor chose the Adjutant if he knew that he were so unlucky. It's just one hell of a hook. I just really like the idea of being a gentlemanly warrior-poet who is cursed by fate. It's certainly the most :obviously: background.

As for the Farmer background, if we choose the Pig or Dragon sign, our man will be Forrest Gump, but not full-retard. Slow, yes, but not retarded. He's a goddamn war martial arts hero! The luck boost will be a lot of fun too. The real problem is that he'll be a bit of a clumsy oaf, though maybe we'll find ways around that.

The Scholar background is fucking cool too. I think it's best paired up with a Tiger sign so that we can enter the military and show up all the fucks who doubted us.

I don't know what to pick, all of them are great!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't really care about balance but since that point was never meant to be there in the first place...
:hearnoevil: >_>

Tigranes

Arcane
I vote that we revive a certain Kleinmann in this LP, for the real Kleinmann shall never return to us! We've played Ean, Dio and Senya who are all bold and brave in their own right. It's time for some swarthy type to enter the scene.

That is, a Rogue.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Rabbit Rogue (Charisma +4, Luck +3, Agility +1, Endurance -1, Strength -3).

Extremely lucky rogue who can talk others to steal for him/her/it.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Snake Scholar

Young boy trying to restore his family good name in empire court, but frequently hearing comments and jokes about his father shame. That makes him a bit sour towards people seemingly stronger than him due to his jealousy of their skills and anger over his shame.

Will he break under Codex pressure and try to show them that heir to Wu family is able to outclass his father sword art? Will he say screw them: i will become psychotic assassin and kill them? Will jokes of Wu family military prowess start to become two generation family tradition? What colour is his office in forbidden city if he pass exam? Will he become tactician and we will be able to do it right?
Soon in "Treave bed story time" on channel 4.

We can start trying to gain political power or military with this setting i think. Cruel joke can be such motivation.

Kipeci

Arcane
I want to go with Dog Doctor to maximize perception. The Codex hasn't always been the best at picking out important details, if the character is decent at it then all can be better (this would additionally make pressure pointery very easy). Also, the Doctor is almost sorta kinda a very :obviously: character with reasonable intelligence.

While I do want to go for this character, I'd also flop to anything necessary to prevent the rise of the child rogue. Any other character would still be better than that one in my book.

ScubaV

Prophet

Voting this. Perhaps we can bedazzle some poor Ox Farmer to act as our champion in duels.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just a reminder that when your stats drop below 3 there will be very obvious narrative influences, and that goes for all stats, not just intelligence and luck. Min maxing is perfectly fine with me, but do have a full understanding of the flaws of the character you're making: for example, a man that would lose to even a child in any contest of strength probably has some sort of degenerative muscle disease.

Not to say that such a character can't be interesting, of course.

Low perception could manifest itself in the form of blindness or myopia, low agility in clumsiness, and a person with low endurance is more sickly and susceptible to things like the ever popular tuberculosis.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ox - Adjutant.

The codex makes stupid choices and we need a character that can survive them. Besides, I'm tired of playing a weak, brainy type. Senya was one and so is the pilgrim in root's lp.

Esquilax

Arcane
Ox - Adjutant.

The codex makes stupid choices and we need a character that can survive them. Besides, I'm tired of playing a weak, brainy type. Senya was one and so is the pilgrim in root's lp.

If that's the case, why vote for the unluckiest background who is most likely to fuck up at pivotal moments? :lol: Don't get me wrong, I love the background, but even good decisions can go to shit due to our cursed fate. I'd prefer to keep our stats above 2, so it's not so bad if we make the drawback more manageable with a Horse or Rooster sign to mitigate our awful luck, but really, all I'm thinking about here is fun.

The Horse sign would make us a badass fighter while still being average at mental tasks. With our luck, we're going to need that big endurance boost.

Voting this. Perhaps we can bedazzle some poor Ox Farmer to act as our champion in duels.

Dude, fuck that - this is a martial arts LP, I want our character to be dealing out the ass-kicking! On that note, voting Pig/Farmer. A big, loveable oaf with a heart of gold. My name is Forrest, Forrest Guan.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom